8: Gears of War 2
7: Braid
6: Fallout 3
5: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4: Mass Effect
3: Little Big Planet
2: Grand Theft Auto 4
1: Metal Gear Solid 4

Honorable Mention: Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty: World at War, Resistance 2, Burnout Paradise.

Floppy Nono
12-19-2008, 02:10 AM
man dead space was so much better than GOW 2 if only for the fact that i don't have to constantly walk with two fingers to my ear.

Tchocky
12-19-2008, 02:12 AM
man dead space was so much better than GOW 2 if only for the fact that i don't have to constantly walk with two fingers to my ear.

Dead Space was really repetitive and even tedious at times, which kept it from being on my Top 10. Too much of that game was Doom 3 meets Resident Evil 4 with a dash of Half-Life. The programmers did a helluva job giving that game a great atmosphere, however. A little more variety for the sequel would be nice.

Dogfighter28
12-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Haven't played much this year, but I'm getting a PS3 for Christmas.

Fallout 3 was good, but the ending was balls. 30+ hours of gameplay, and all you get it a few stills from the game and a douchey narrator telling you a few things about what you did, and a vague allusion to what will happen next.

I'd have to say GTA IV is game of the year though, if it had been released in Q4 then it would win everything. Momentum is big in these things.

I have yet to play MGS4, however... excited for that.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 02:19 AM
SSB:B was pretty largely hated by enthusiasts everywhere... I mean a majority of its players immediately turned their backs on it for being such a piece of shit and went back to Melee or onto other fighters, like Soul Caliber.

Fallout 3 was good. Mass Effect was good, much better than expected. Little Big Planet didn't deliver nearly as much as I hoped. Grand Theft Auto 4 was the same shitty GTA game that it's been since 3- it isn't that fucking hard to make the game's controls not feel like dogshit after 10 years... Dead Space and Left 4 Dead really delivered unexpectedly. I was impressed with them.

killtrocity
12-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Mass Effect was incredible. Only played Brawl besides that

Tchocky
12-19-2008, 02:21 AM
I LOVED SSB: Brawl. It had everything I could possibly want and more in a SSB game. Fuck the haters.

GTA4 was a bit linear, but the amount of depth the programmers put into Liberty City was astonishing.

MGS4 is a complete technical achievement on every level. The only thing it lacks is a bonafide amazing end boss fight.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Dead Space was really repetitive and even tedious at times.

Not like GTA4

SSB is dumb.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
You probably just don't care about playing it on a competitive level. Dicking around with your friends is one thing, but actually being good at a game is different.

To Tchocky

Tchocky
12-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Mass Effect was incredible.

Absolutely. That was my life for a couple months earlier this year.

Anyone who owns a Wii that hasn't played No More Heroes needs to. Think Kill Bill with a lightsaber meets GTA.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:23 AM
a douchey narrator

how dare you say that about Ron Perlman.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:24 AM
You probably just don't care about playing it on a competitive level. Dicking around with your friends is one thing, but actually being good at a game is different.

And being good at SBB just makes you the biggest fag at the fag jamboree.

Tchocky
You probably just don't care about playing it on a competitive level.

I'm not gonna deny that. I can actually see why purists would prefer Melee.

Dogfighter28
how dare you say that about Ron Perlman.

THE WANDERER FROM VAULT 101 WAS GOOD JUST LIKE HIS FATHER

THE END

Skradgee
12-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Space Invaders Extreme :P

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Midnight Club Los Angeles owns your fucking face anyway, Burnout can eat a fat bag of dicks.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:26 AM
THE WANDERER FROM VAULT 101 WAS GOOD JUST LIKE HIS FATHER

THE END

You miss the point. I'm talking about Ron Fucking Perlman here man. I don't care what you think of the ending, that man is a legend.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 02:26 AM
And being good at SBB just makes you the biggest fag at the fag jamboree.

I mean seriously man...

We call them tournaments aka fag-loser-virgin-no-friend bonanzas. *adjusts monocle*

Tchocky
12-19-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm actually in the process of finishing my second play through of Dead Space, this time on Hard. I don't like the fact that they give players a 'New Game+' feature but make you play through each difficulty level from scratch. Playing the game on Hard from scratch was bad enough...lord only knows what 'Impossible' is going to be like.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:28 AM
I've never really seen anything as pathetic as a giggling nerd playing as Link using the gamer tag of "Rape." Super Smash Brothers is like another level of complete lameness, like grown men playing Pokemon.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm a master at Pokemon Snap. I bring a whole new definition to the term rape with that game.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:30 AM
I didn't play MGS4 but judging from the No Punctuation review it seemed pretty goddamn stupid. I thought MGS3 was stupid as hell too, I don't really want to play a game, no matter how fun it is when you're supposed to be in Russia but you're drudging through a rain forest with a type of crocodile that only lives in India. Not to even start with the ridiculous plot.

Floppy Nono
12-19-2008, 02:31 AM
man remember when blockbuster had those fucking pokemon snap machines that would print stickers of your pictures? that was retarded as shit!

Dogfighter28
12-19-2008, 02:32 AM
man remember when blockbuster had those fucking pokemon snap machines that would print stickers of your pictures? that was retarded as shit!
Holy shit!

Remember when you could rent Mario Paint and they gave you the mouse with it?

Or when they had Earthbound and the box was bigger than all the other ones because of the strategy guide?

Tchocky
12-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Midnight Club: LA was pretty but really really hard.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Or when Super Nintendo games came in green boxes at Blockbuster?

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:35 AM
Midnight Club: LA was pretty but really really hard.

I bet you just suck at it.

Games aren't hard anymore. The whole trick to that game is map management, once you got that there's nothing that can really stop you with the right cars.

I can't imagine it's harder than the masterful MC3. You get the Lotus Elise it'll last you all the way up till you can buy your 95 McLaren then it's all gravy. Not that it's easy perse, I remember struggling with particular races but that was all the more fun to me. And I personally prefer balls to the wall speed blur custom car arcade action to "realistic driving simulators" if i wanted to fuck with camber I'd actually soup up a civic.

I dunno if there's anything more fun than racing a customized 78 Monte Carlo.

Tchocky
12-19-2008, 02:37 AM
I didn't play MGS4 but judging from the No Punctuation review it seemed pretty goddamn stupid. I thought MGS3 was stupid as hell too, I don't really want to play a game, no matter how fun it is when you're supposed to be in Russia but you're drudging through a rain forest with a type of crocodile that only lives in India. Not to even start with the ridiculous plot.

Yeah, the story is a bit convoluted, but the gameplay is pretty deep, the stealth mechanics are awesome, and technically the game is friggin' amazing.

But yeah, my friend can't get over how wacko the plot of the series has become...I think that's why he's gone back to playing MGS1 and given up on MGS4 after only playing through the first act or so.

MGS3 had some great boss fights though...The End's boss fight was very well-done. I want to get my hands on a copy of Subsistence b/c it uses the camera found in MGS4, which makes the game a lot more fun to play.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:39 AM
I dunno from that review i derived that it's a stealth game that wants you to use guns. Sounded bad. Yahtzee tends to tear apart games for similar reasons I do, like how he completely trashed the entire SBB series.

Floppy Nono
12-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Holy shit!

Remember when you could rent Mario Paint and they gave you the mouse with it?

Or when they had Earthbound and the box was bigger than all the other ones because of the strategy guide?

oh shit, i still have mario paint with that fucking mouse somewhere.

i remember having some super nes cart with the 3 super mario bros and the lost levels on it. super mario all-stars or something.

avsfan7733
12-19-2008, 02:41 AM
MGS is one of my favorite series. Mgs2 is still the best story wise, but MGS4 fit everything together greatly. Oh and the gameplay was phenomenal as well

I keep feeling like Little Big Planet is disappointing.. and then i get to a new level with some new weird interactive element (last time it was the airship thing) to make me realize how sweet it is. Online is alot of fun too.

Haven't got any new 360 games this year.. Mass Effect was a fun rent. Civilization Revolution was alot of fun too.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:42 AM
As a Civ junkie i've been curious about Civ Revolution, but not excited like I am about the new Colonization game.

avsfan7733
12-19-2008, 02:47 AM
Well.. I've never played any Civ games but loved stuff like age of empires. I played civ revolution, loved it, then went out and bought Civ 3 and I gotta say that Civ revolution is a much more simplified version of what you get on the PC. "Dumbing it down for console players" is exactly what comes to mind.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 02:49 AM
Then I'd probably dislike it. That's actually what I assumed and wondered what was so phenomenal about it.

Dogfighter28
12-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Also the new Tomb Raider gives me a boner.

But seriously, Lara's animation is so smooth. It's impressive.

avsfan7733
12-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Yeah. If you're big on the PC games I wouldn't really recommend throwing down 50 bucks for it. Its alot of fun, but like I said, everything is just more simplified. The map is pretty small, the micromanagement isn't nearly as intense as the PC, and you can finish games in 3-4 hours.

avsfan7733
12-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Also the new Tomb Raider gives me a boner.

But seriously, Lara's animation is so smooth. It's impressive.

but is it a good game?

Dogfighter28
12-19-2008, 02:54 AM
but is it a good game?

I've only played the demo, but I'm currently playing Legend, which is pretty good. Underworld is pretty much a direct sequel and it plays the same but it looks more fabulous. And by fabulous I mean boobs.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Man, Trotskilicious I was all over Civ. IV and its expansions earlier this year, where were you for that?

avsfan7733
12-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Have you played bioshock? I'm thinkin of picking that up on ps3 and see what its all about. I also want Fallout really bad.

Tchocky
12-19-2008, 03:01 AM
I bought Bioshock for the PS3, and it's super and everything (the story line is among the best I've ever seen on a video game)...I just really don't like FPS games on consoles (with a few exceptions). It doesn't make my list because technically it's a game from 2007.

Tchocky
12-19-2008, 03:01 AM
Civ IV....http://www.talkingnfl.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/homer-drool-702026.gif

avsfan7733
12-19-2008, 03:02 AM
oh and this ones gonna make me sound pretty faggy, but i really wanna check out the new banjo kazooie game on the 360. Gamespot gave it an 8.5 and the original was so much fun.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 03:04 AM
You are right, that did sound faggy.

avsfan7733
12-19-2008, 03:05 AM
at least i warned you ahead of time

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 03:06 AM
Man, Trotskilicious I was all over Civ. IV and its expansions earlier this year, where were you for that?

Pirating it and crying when my mighty Holy Roman Empire had to end because my computer couldn't handle the Modern Age. I did nuke the fuck out of China though in an attempt to get them to quit invading Persia. No matter how many cities I nuked from half a world away they wouldn't be my vassal.

I did have a war with the Greeks that went from Knights invading to Mobile SAM units destroying everything in their path. Fuck a 100 year war, how about a 1000 year war?

duovamp
12-19-2008, 03:06 AM
at least i warned you ahead of time
Fair enough, fair enough.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 03:08 AM
Pirating it and crying when my mighty Holy Roman Empire had to end because my computer couldn't handle the Modern Age. I did nuke the fuck out of China though in an attempt to get them to quit invading Persia. No matter how many cities I nuked from half a world away they wouldn't be my vassal.

I did have a war with the Greeks that went from Knights invading to Mobile SAM units destroying everything in their path. Fuck a 100 year war, how about a 1000 year war?

That's what I'm talking about. :banging:

http://forums.netphoria.org/3338936-post9.html

(Note typo on Churchill :()

Debaser
12-19-2008, 03:12 AM
mass effect is overrated. I mean, I enjoyed it overall just purely on the story. All the technical aspects of the game sucked, though. There was an amazing amount of design flaws in that game that was almost unforgivable. The menu systems were awful, just sorting through your equipment and having to delete stuff was an ubelievable pain. the driving on the planets was shite -- shooting stuff from the vehicle was just dumb. all the too similar planets and buildings... man that game needed a lot more polish.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 03:17 AM
In Civ. IV about two minutes ago, I conquered enough of the map to earn a domination victory. I was playing as the Russians. My cossacks and ICBMs be up in Winston Chirchill's ass, bitches.

I remember in Civ3, I had a communist Iroquois nation that conquered the entire planet without ever dropping a nuke. I just had like over a dozen cities churning out modern armor in two to three turns and using the rails to transport them all out to the front lines. Helped that I was using a pangaia map and didn't need to build a navy.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 03:22 AM
That sounds awesome! Pangia's the only way to play if you want to go domination before the time ends. Man, now I wish I didn't delete it from my computer to make space for whatever crappy MMO comes out every month...

duovamp
12-19-2008, 03:29 AM
I should amend that to say that any map that doesn't separate you on a bunch of different islands. I never played on that map of central USA though.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 03:33 AM
I kind of like the island maps for just a different challenge. The last game I played on CivIII before i lost the disc was this kind of continental map with a really high sea level so they were these spindly little fractal arms of land, on monarch difficulty with the vikings. Was fun raiding people.

duovamp
12-19-2008, 03:44 AM
Sounds like it was. The map usually dictates the kind of victory you have to go for more than your leader, I feel. I'm sure if I were better at it then I could pull off whatever victory I wanted on whatever map with whatever leader, but I'm not. I rarely do island maps just because you actually have to use diplomacy and trade and tactics as opposed to just an arms race until 1000 AD where you start trampling all those whose borders touch yours.

Trotskilicious
12-19-2008, 03:47 AM
I kind of sucked with most civs that weren't Agricultural on Civ3.

I actually really enjoyed the diplomacy on 4 (especially the fact that other countries couldn't even enter your territory without declaring war, really fixed one of the most frustrating elements of Civ3) and prefer to keep things safe and secure. But haters is always after your shit.

Fattening Ass
12-19-2008, 05:24 AM
Mega Man 9

Mablak
12-19-2008, 06:05 AM
I don't think I've played a video game other than Worms in about a year. I even have a copy of smash bros brawl that has remained unopened for 6 or 7 months, I've just lost all desire.

ChristHimself!
12-19-2008, 07:04 AM
gta iv was pretty great

mirrors edge, as i expected, was good but didn't really fulfill its potential

i really want to play mc:la because i ripped the arse off mc3, totally agree on arcade nonsense over driving sims

i think i must have been the only person that really enjoyed the force unleashed. it wasn't perfect by any means but it was damn good fun.

i couldn't get into bioshock.

fallout 3 looked great and all, but i find with the more recent bethesda games that there's so much freedom that i can't be arsed doing anything, so i just kill a bunch of people and stop playing it.

gaiden 2 somehow didn't live up to my expectations, but it was still decent.

spidey web of shadows slipped by largely unnoticed. i think it got a bad wrap. although the missions can still get a bit repetitive, it looked gorgeous and swinging around the city was great fun by itself.

braid is a cracking wee game.

game of the year: left4dead (pc)

although i'm still not over the orange box from last year. i still think tf2 is probably the best multiplayer fps there is on the pc.

ChristHimself!
12-19-2008, 07:10 AM
also audiosurf is strangely addictive

Gish08
12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
MGS4
Valkyria Chronicles

dishpan
12-19-2008, 11:32 PM
mass effect was last year, but yeah i loved that game.

2008 games in order of most fun ive had playing them:
01 Guitar Hero World Tour
02 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
03 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
04 Mario Kart Wii
05 Crysis Warhead
06 Far Cry 2
07 Gears of War 2
08 Braid
09 Army of Two
10 Lego Batman
11 Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe