View Full Version : Zwan revisited

Mayfuck
11-27-2008, 04:58 PM
MSOTS is a lot better than Zeitgeist.

These songs are starting to sound a lot better now in face of mixed reactions of the current tour. Zwan had its own drama which is unfortunate and really unnecessary. But damn, can you imgaine had Chrysanthemum, Empty Sea, Permanence, Shining Path, Pony Express, Girl with Cruel FAce, et al made it out of the studio? fuuuuuuuuck

Kahlo
11-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Zwan material on the whole is far superior to anything SP have yet produced. I don't think anyone is going to argue with you on that fact.

Not sure on Zeitgeist vs. MSOTS. Completely different albums, both deeply flawed, but both with their own charms. I think if we wait a few years Zeitgeist will be seen in a better light as well...

commando
11-27-2008, 05:02 PM
This is my ongoing frustration with Corgan... the second he makes something awesome and senses the fans like it he pulls it away so as to heighten some sort of imaginary sense of legend or mystery around him.

commando
11-27-2008, 05:04 PM
see: Let Me Give the World to You

slowdawn
11-27-2008, 05:36 PM
The new stuff sounds VERY promising...Owata, Song for a Son, As Rome Burns, 99 Floors (glad he didn't abandon it). These better make it into the studio.

redbull
11-27-2008, 05:48 PM
yeah, they won't

Rider
11-27-2008, 07:00 PM
yeah, they won't

Kahlo
11-27-2008, 07:11 PM
I still think SP2 have it in their capacity to eclipse Zwan.

Corgan is just getting warmed up...

commando
11-27-2008, 09:16 PM
He has a few things going for him right now: 1) no record company 2) the seemingly new found willingness to put out good, non commercial material (acoustic set on If all goes wrong) I think I'm enjoying that Peace + Love as much as any Djali song, however, it's almost too little too late... I was ready for this about five years ago.

Rider
11-27-2008, 09:45 PM

I guarantee he will break up the new SP before he gets warmed up. It's just a mater of time. I'm actually kind of shocked the band has made it through this tour.

tensionhead
11-27-2008, 11:33 PM
if it was truely too little too late, would you still be here talking about it? im still happy to be a fan. i think you are too.

he might not have to break up this version...they may leave before he gets a chance. id like it if he let them influence his songs in the studio though. could be interesting.

myosis
11-27-2008, 11:51 PM
best sing-along record in the world

BEAT MY NUTS!!

Mayfuck
11-28-2008, 12:39 AM
edit: i just listened to the glass house show and no these songs aren't that good.

<sp3
11-28-2008, 01:07 AM
i agree, MSOTS > Zeitgeist

Jesus I, Mary Star of the Sea is one of my favorite things that billy has ever done

but then again i look at stuff like gossamer and see a lot of promise that he "still has it" when he wants too

redbreegull
11-28-2008, 01:46 AM
MSOTS is a lot better than Zeitgeist.

This is where I stopped reading because as flawed as Zeitgeist is, it could never even dream of being the painful disaster that MSOTS is. Also Mayfuck is a terrible poster.

Starla
11-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Chrysanthemum, Empty Sea, Permanence, Shining Path, Pony Express, Girl with Cruel FAce,

are better than any song on zeitgeist

dishpan
11-29-2008, 12:55 AM
why dont more people just enjoy these albums when they come out instead of hearing the next album and then realizing the last one was really good? i feel like this happens every year. i like zeitgeist a lot but i really love zwan myself and always have. soon we will see a thread for billys solo album revisited, which has many great and very underappreciated songs too.

unrelated, my only hope for hearing any of these live again are in 25 years when billy goes all paul mccartney on us and his tours are just him with a bunch of talented touring musicians playing selections from his various bands and projects i guess.

dan

Caine Walker
11-29-2008, 01:11 AM
zwan was good until they released that fucking album that had almost NONE of the songs that make them worth seeing live.

SpFission
11-29-2008, 01:26 AM
zwan was good until they released that fucking album that had almost NONE of the songs that make them worth seeing live.

this.

trevorbrooks
09-05-2016, 03:45 AM

boy did you think wrong

Kahlo
09-05-2016, 04:55 AM
boy did you think wrong

I was right, but for the wrong reasons :(

teh b0lly!!1
09-05-2016, 06:51 AM
i think we can all agree that in retrospect, MSOTS held up infinitely better than the awful steaming pile of rotting chicken corpses that is Zeitgeist.

Cool As Ice Cream
09-05-2016, 07:30 AM
the jackals lick their balls

sweet17
09-05-2016, 07:38 AM
i think we can all agree that in retrospect, MSOTS held up infinitely better than the awful steaming pile of rotting chicken corpses that is Zeitgeist.

I agree with this. I think Zeitgeist has as many decent songs as MSOST has stinkers (ie. 2 or 3). Some of Zwan's best work never made it to the public, which is a shame.

Run To Me
09-05-2016, 08:33 AM
my only hope for hearing Zwan live again are in 25 years when billy goes all paul mccartney on us and his tours are just him with a bunch of talented touring musicians playing selections from his various bands and projects i guess.

dan

boy did you think right

o dan where ar u? hope u saw a plainsong

teh b0lly!!1
09-05-2016, 09:11 AM
lol i missed dan signing off his post there

hey dan can you tell me what it's like to be important?

Ram27
09-05-2016, 10:08 AM

Yeah, I actually listen through to MS and enjoy it. Aside from the fucking awful title Baby Let's Rock, it's really quite solid. Billy having other guitarists to write with serves him well. JC plays some great stuff.