View Full Version : Books that probably won't work as movies

Nimrod's Son
11-13-2008, 06:00 PM
wtf

Atlas Shrugged (2009) - Synopsis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/synopsis)

Based upon the controversial 1957 novel by Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged follows the struggles of Dagny Taggart, a railroad heiress trying to maintain her integrity, and keep her family's railroad alive in the midst of a rapidly decaying world. She faces increasingly corrupt government agencies, the cowardly incompetence of her own brother, and the systematic loss of her best and most competent workers. As she works to overcome each obstacle, she begins to detect a pattern, and suspect a sinister force working against her. All across the country, there is a growing sense of helplessness, often summed up in a catch phrase that everyone seems to know, but no one knows the origin of - Who is John Galt?. One by one, the best and brightest industrialists in the country are disappearing overnight, without a trace, and abandoning their businesses to be cannibalized by corrupt political interests. But many are disappearing just as she needs them most, leading her to realize that someone, some destroyer, is keeping just ahead of her, and is working against her. As she wonders what he could be telling these men - to get them to give up everything and disappear - she knows she must somehow beat him if she wants Taggart Transcontinental to survive.

She pursues the mystery cross country looking for clues to the destroyer, and also to find the inventor of a revolutionary motor she found in a trash pile of an abandoned industrial lab. As the world sinks further into decay, she knows her time for saving her railroad, and maybe staving off the collapse of the world around her, is growing short. However, the revelations she seeks will ultimately challenge her views, and force her to decide between fighting in her world, or leaving everything she's valued behind.

Deadeyes
11-13-2008, 06:03 PM
The Watchmen. But I haven't read V for Vendetta and the film was pretty good, I just imagine the character in the book to be more than the film could possibly portray. Same goes for watchmen, it's too dark and dismal for big cinema.

Mablak
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I heard about a movie version of this a long time ago, I kind of doubt it's happening. But I really love that book, any adaptation of it will probably kill it for sure.

Deadeyes
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
The better parts of it anyway, I could see how the bits in between might be stretched out and made into some weird action flick that will completely miss the point.

Nimrod's Son
11-13-2008, 06:09 PM
i hope they get michael bay to direct

sickbadthing
11-13-2008, 06:12 PM
it didn't make it as a book, either.

tear stained glass
11-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I've only read a couple of his books, but I'm thinking movie studios aren't exactly clamoring the rights to Italo Calvino's works.

Mo
11-13-2008, 06:21 PM
I've only read a couple of his books, but I'm thinking movie studios aren't exactly clamoring the rights to Italo Calvino's works.

For real. Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore seriously disturbed me as a 12-year-old.

Shallowed
11-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Any Dr. Seuss books.

D.
11-13-2008, 07:09 PM
As it turns out, I was just planning on reading Atlas Shrugged next year

topleybird
11-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Gertrude Stein, Tender Buttons

topleybird
11-13-2008, 10:27 PM
As it turns out, I was just planning on reading Atlas Shrugged next year

Were you planning to be an introverted asshole college freshman next year

TheMilstead
11-13-2008, 11:08 PM
The Watchmen. But I haven't read V for Vendetta and the film was pretty good, I just imagine the character in the book to be more than the film could possibly portray. Same goes for watchmen, it's too dark and dismal for big cinema.

The V for Vendetta comic is waaaay better than the movie. And as psyched as I am that they're making a Watchmen movie, I know any positive expectations I have will be ripped to shreds. :( That book is just too intricate and amazing to be jammed into less than 3 hours.

28if
11-13-2008, 11:10 PM

:rofl:

One of my good friends graduated high school last year and is going to college in England somewhere. Everytime I talk to her now she is all "I am so amazing, because I am going to school in a foreign country, and I'm majoring in LITERATURE, so let me just name drop twenty obscure authors in this conversation just so EVERYONE knows that I'm majoring in LITERATURE!" It's getting really old. I should post some of her blogs about the "amazing stories" she's read recently.

That said, lol at an Atlas Shrugged movie. My girlfriend was trying to explain the plot of the book to me once and mentioned John Galt, to which I interrupted, "Wait, who is John Galt?" She just kept laughing and laughing and wouldn't tell me why.

agenda suicide
11-13-2008, 11:12 PM

I know it's not going to be as good, but I'm still excited for it. I'm getting a Watchmen tattoo. OH I SAID IT.

TheMilstead
11-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I know it's not going to be as good, but I'm still excited for it. I'm getting a Watchmen tattoo. OH I SAID IT.

Dr. Manhattan's symbol? That would be awesome on the wrist or something.

maoi
11-13-2008, 11:57 PM
do you think mags will unban me from tgh

agenda suicide
11-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Dr. Manhattan's symbol? That would be awesome on the wrist or something.

nah, I showed my guy the drawing that's at the beginning of the article at the end of chapter VII. he's gonna use it to draw up something traditional style, and it's going to go on my side. same size as my other sidepiece.

D.
11-14-2008, 12:06 AM
i don't really follow.:think:

Nothing/everything
11-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Lord of the Rings. oh wait..

Rider
11-14-2008, 04:03 PM
In an interview with Dark Horizons, Watchmen director Zack Snyder has revealed that he has indeed altered the ending of the Watchmen graphic novel for the film. So I guess it's NOT a film spoiler at this point to those uninitiated with the original graphic novel to reveal that the end (well, really one of the main driving forces in the plot of) Watchmen involves a giant "squid" creature that attacks New York. Says Snyder:

The fans, god love 'em, they're all up in arms about the squid, (said Snyder.) What they should be up in arms about are things like shooting the pregnant woman, 'God is real and he's American', whether THAT'S in the movie. That's my point of view, maybe I'm crazy.

The squid was not in the movie when I got the script, the squid was never in any draft that I saw, (continued Snyder.) My point is only that there was this elegant solution to the squid problem that I kind of embraced. I'm a fan of the thing as much as anyone, I was saying what are we going to do about this before I even read the script.

A good point indeed. Watchmen is just as much about philosophical and political undertones that utilize the dynamic of superheroes to bring them to a new light. However, fans not being "up in arms" about iconic lines is a testament to the fact that they have a lot of confidence instilled in Snyder and most people never bothered to devote any thoughts as to any possibility that they would be left out. What's still potentially problematic for Snyder is that the actions of the "squid" is what set off the unique chain of events that leads to the climax of the story. The threat of the "squid" is integral to how things played out. The replacement for it will be difficult to pull off given the state of the characters at this point in the story. IF Snyder can't make the substitution believable, then the resolution of the story will not be believable, which will undoubtedly offset the inclusion of any iconic lines and themes.

Not a good sign.

topleybird
11-14-2008, 04:17 PM
What else in the Watchmen world could potentially level a city, or several cities. What else would fit perfectly with how people in this world see these superheroes. The tone does not change, the moral argument does not change. It just massively simplifies the story to remove an extraneous subplot.

It's going to be fine.