View Full Version : Conversation with my full-blood Mexican grandmother who is racist against Mexicans

D.
11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Grandma = GM
D. = Me

GM = Hello?
Me = Hi, grandma, this is David, is grandpa there?
GM = He is, but he can't hear very well, y'know.
Me = Okay, well, I just wanted to call on Veteran's Day and thank him for serving our country.
GM = *tells grandpa what I said*
Me = Our country appreciates it.
GM (joking, I guess) = Is that why you called? No ulterior motives?
Me (chuckling in a really awkward way) = No, just wanted to say hi and thanks.
GM = What's new with you?
Me = Oh, nothing. Hey I'm moving to New Mexico next year, so I'll be closer to you guys and I can visit you!
GM = Well, Texas isn't really that close to Mexico
Me = No, grandma, NEW Mexico
GM = Oh ... oh, yeah, so you're moving out to Indian country?
Me = Um, well, I mean ... there's Mexicans out there, too, Grandma. I know you want to me to thicken up the blood.
GM = You know, those Indians out there, they wear feathers on their heads and ...
Me = Yeah, um, so ...
GM = Where are you now?
Me = Oh, I'm in Kansas City right now

*chit chat, family stuff*

GM = So, you know what they're saying about the new president, right?
Me = Oh, I dunno, lots of stuff.
GM = They're saying that he's going to take out the rose bushes at the White House.
Me = Oh, yeah?
GM = No, you're supposed to ask me why.
Me = Oh ... why?
GM = Because they want to grow a watermelon patch.
Me = ...
GM = You know what color they're going to paint the white house?
Me = What color, grandma?
GM = Black
Me = ...
Me = Yeah, so I just wanted to call and say hi, grandma.

Mo
11-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah, my dad's mom racist as well. Though in a naive and very Catholic way.

JokeyLoki
11-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I think all grandparents are racist in some way. I haven't talked to mine since Obama got elected, but I'm sure Thanksgiving is going to be interesting.

TheMilstead
11-11-2008, 09:03 PM
GM = No, you're supposed to ask me why.
Me = Oh ... why?
GM = Because they want to grow a watermelon patch.
Me = ...

Simply amazing.

TheMilstead
11-11-2008, 09:05 PM
I think all grandparents are racist in some way. I haven't talked to mine since Obama got elected, but I'm sure Thanksgiving is going to be interesting.

Yeah. And my grandpa is extremely hard of hearing, so he yells when he talks anyway. I'm not really looking forward to hearing his two cents about all this.

duovamp
11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
There's a NEW Mexico?!

Hillzy
11-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I think all grandparents are racist in some way.

Maybe in your country. Don't be judging all grandparents.

myosis
11-11-2008, 11:36 PM
don't be judging all grandparents of her country

redbreegull
11-12-2008, 12:13 AM
My mom's parents are pretty cool and completely not racist. My dad's mom is afraid of black people, but a little more afraid of John McCain I guess because she voted for Obama. My dad's dad is a bitch and I'm pretty sure a real racist.

D.
11-12-2008, 12:27 AM
for the record, my dad is like racist but it doesn't come out very often. every once in a while he'll say something that catches me off guard. especially with the elections. i text him when obama won and he called him "oslama" and referenced the "black house" thing.

my mom is pretty cool and has been heard saying some pretty cool anti-racist stuff. but then like she'll pop out with "they just don't care about anyone but themselves" when i complained of people in my neighborhood playing their bass music really loud. they happen to be black, so i'm not sure if she meant just people in general or black people.

my family is pretty mixed between white, hispanic, and black and for the most part everyone seems cool.

Rockin' Cherub
11-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Me = Okay, well, I just wanted to call on Veteran's Day and thank him for serving our country.

GM = You know what color they're going to paint the white house?
Me = What color, grandma?
GM = Black
Me = ...

i can't decide which is funnier

Kahlo
11-12-2008, 07:36 AM
My grandfather is anti-semitic. This embarrassed me no end when he first met my wife and started going on about how the "jews brought it on themselves by keeping all the money"

Kahlo
11-12-2008, 07:37 AM
i can't decide which is funnier

ah Rockin Cherub getting defensive about nationalism in any shape or form....again

Pizza Club
11-12-2008, 07:44 AM
My full blooded Mexican grandma actually isn't racist, but my dad's side of the family is (also entirely Mexican.)

However, my grandmother thinks you can pretty much solve all illnesses by drinking 7-Up. God bless her.

severin
11-12-2008, 07:54 AM
My grandfather is anti-semitic. This embarrassed me no end when he first met my wife and started going on about how the "jews brought it on themselves by keeping all the money"

is she jewish?

Caine Walker
11-12-2008, 07:55 AM
However, my grandmother thinks you can pretty much solve all illnesses by drinking 7-Up. God bless her.

she's right, you know.

Kahlo
11-12-2008, 08:01 AM
is she jewish?

no she is a blonde haired blue eyed Aryan

severin
11-12-2008, 08:05 AM
no she is a blonde haired blue eyed Aryan

doesn't work. the original aryans were everything but blonde and blue eyed. i mean they where from india if i recall correctly...anyway i see your point in being embarrased by such a statement even if your wife wasn't jewish, but it would be a reason for me never to speak with my grandfather again if he actually said that if my wife was jewish

Kahlo
11-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I know. I was using a generalisation :)

But if she was Jewish and he said that, it would take me a long time for me to consider forgiving him if he was truly sorry about it.

Mo
11-12-2008, 08:15 AM
If never heard of racist people being "sorry" for what they said.

Kahlo
11-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Probably sorry only on a superficial level... which is good enough for most people

Nimrod's Son
11-12-2008, 12:44 PM
this thread proves that mexicans are terrible people

agenda suicide
11-12-2008, 01:21 PM
my dad's a bit racist towards mexicans, but I guess I understand since he got shot in the arm by a mexican. not that it should make him racist towards ALL of them, but I understand why.

Rockin' Cherub
11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
ah Rockin Cherub getting defensive about nationalism in any shape or form....again

i wasn't even trying to make a point. those things seriously amused me. thanking a relative for serving one's country is just so bizarre

D.
11-13-2008, 04:50 PM
del, not worth the effort.