View Full Version : Chi of deftones in a coma

PkPhuoko
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
http://deftonesinstudio.blogspot.com/

Hello everyone,

It deeply saddens me to inform you all that our brother Chi Cheng was involved in a terrible car accident last night. He is currently in a Northern California Hospital in serious, but stable condition. I am on my way up North right now to be by his side along with the rest of our band mates and family. Chi is one of the strongest people I know, and I'm praying that his strength will get him through this. Please say a prayer for him as well.

-chino

Mo
11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah, praying is gonna help, Chino.

redbull
11-05-2008, 09:06 PM
this is what they get for making saturday night wrist

Sacred Age Of Innocence
11-05-2008, 09:35 PM

not funny

redbull
11-05-2008, 09:36 PM
not funny

"Sacred Age of Innocence"

Sacred Age Of Innocence
11-05-2008, 09:42 PM
"Sacred Age of Innocence"

Sorry kid but that response is 8+ years too late. :rolleyes:

waltermcphilp
11-05-2008, 10:09 PM

i thought that was a solid record.:blush:

Sonic Johnny
11-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Deftones have gotten progressively duller with each release post-Adrenaline. Also they are responsible for that whole wave of (primarily australian) "soft"-metal - Karnivool, Cog, The Butterfly Effect, etc. etc.

brillo998
11-05-2008, 11:47 PM
snw was a solid album.

dammit. i hope this doesnt postpone their next tour. deftones live is jizztastic.

Fattening Ass
11-06-2008, 01:37 AM
snw was a solid album.

:banging:

ChristHimself!
11-06-2008, 04:46 AM
hope dude pulls through, never seen someone look so fuckin hard as nails during a gig before

Cool As Ice Cream
11-06-2008, 05:02 AM
who the hell calls their kids chi cheng or chino?

Sonic Johnny
11-06-2008, 05:23 AM
chino moreno, for that matter.

smashingjj
11-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Sorry kid but that response is 8+ years too late. :rolleyes:

your username is, too.

Sacred Age Of Innocence
11-06-2008, 11:15 AM
your username is, too.

yawn..........

cardiac
11-06-2008, 11:31 AM
White Pony is bitchin' still.

I wonder if they had finished the upcoming album before the accident?

Sacred Age Of Innocence
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Their best album was Around The Fur.

smashingjj
11-06-2008, 07:49 PM
yawn..........

It seems as though all your responses are even very 8 years ago!

Skradgee
11-12-2008, 04:31 AM
i heard about this last week. i hope he recovers well. here's an update.........

Deftones Bassist Chi Cheng Recovering After Car Crash - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1599078/20081111/deftones.jhtml)

Deftones Bassist Chi Cheng Shows Signs Of Improvement After Car Crash
Cheng still in coma but responds to reflex tests.

Doctors treating Deftones (http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/deftones/artist.jhtml) bassist Chi Cheng — who suffered life-threatening injuries in a car accident (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1598612/20081105/deftones.jhtml) that happened in Santa Clara, California, last week — say they're hopeful the musician will make a full recovery and be back onstage in the not-too-distant future.

According to updates posted to the band's studio blog (http://deftonesinstudio.blogspot.com/), the 38-year-old Cheng, who has been in a coma since the crash, has been making progress toward recovery. "This Sunday saw the first signs of your prayers in action," reads one of the most recent posts. "Chi was able to hear and respond to his father's request to move his lower lip. His father also administered a tendon reflex test, of which both legs responded with movement. Doctors continue to remain optimistic, and the energy at the hospital remains very positive."

Cheng, who remains in serious but stable condition in a Northern California hospital, was reportedly not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident, although that information has not been confirmed. According to reports, Cheng was returning from his brother's memorial service when the crash occurred. Authorities have yet to release additional information regarding the crash or Cheng's injuries.

One post suggests his condition could have been worse, had it not been for three men who happened to be driving by. "The family would also like to send a special thank you out to the three off-duty EMTs that stopped shortly after the accident and saved Chi's life," the post reads. "It was by the Grace of God that these three individuals happened to be traveling on the road with medical gear in tow at the time of the accident. If not for them, the chances of Chi making it to the hospital alive would have been poor."

In a separate post, Deftones drummer Abe Cunningham wrote, "The neurosurgeon treating Chi says the first 72 hours are critical, and as of now, he is fighting the good fight and the doctors remain optimistic. We are seeing your prayers in action. The family asks that all the prayer warriors out there continue to pray for Chi, and keep sending out your positive energy."

Cheng's mother, Jeanne, also released a statement through the band's MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/deftones), saying that, while a tough recovery is expected, "Chi will be playing his bass again. I've been reading your e-mails to him. You are so wonderful. My heart aches with love for you. We are all connected."

There's no word yet on how Cheng's recovery will impact the band's forthcoming LP Eros, which was being eyed for release this spring.

Cheng's family has also asked that fans reach out to the homeless, which was something the bassist — who released a spoken-word album called The Bamboo Parachute in 2000 — tried to do as often as he could.

"In the past, when Chi was not on tour, he would gather a few instruments together once a week and meet the homeless kids in the park to play music with them," reads a statement from the family. "Today, we ask you to give a homeless person a blanket, some warm clothes or some food. If you don't see a homeless person, reach out to a child near or far, and show some kindness to them. Keep sending your good thoughts and prayers; they are keeping him with us, and he is improving daily."

Sacred Age Of Innocence
11-12-2008, 04:54 PM
It seems as though all your responses are even very 8 years ago!

Go play in traffic you worthless piece of wanker trash.

Thaniel Buckner
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
not funny
actually, it was fucking hilarious.

sickbadthing
11-20-2008, 02:34 AM
what a boring blog.

Thaniel Buckner
11-20-2008, 03:17 AM
UPDATE: COMA PATIENT STILL COMATOSE

smashingjj
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Go play in traffic you worthless piece of wanker trash.

A small step towards a more timeless insult, but it still breathes '8 years ago' very much. You just can't help yourself I guess but I appreciate the fact that you're trying.

oneloveforchi
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
This has been a difficult time since Chi was injured four months ago. He remains in a coma and is slowly waking up. The entire Cheng family would like to take this opportunity to extend our tremendous gratitude for the worldwide outpouring of prayers, love and support. You have opened your hearts and have been the blessings that have made our situation bearable. Your kind words, shared stories, doing the "good deed of the day" (which I would love to start again), and most of all your prayers for Chi have kept us from feeling alone or helpless. There have been so many faces and names that would always show up when I could get to a computer. It was like going home to see you sharing and caring.

There are so many special people to thank for so many kindnesses. Jeff Irwin from WillHaven asked me about doing some benefit shows. He and his wife, Alice, along with many great bands shared their time, energy and talent. In response to the questions of why a rock star would need benefit show money, let me say that not all successful people are rich and even rich doesn't always last forever. When Chi is fully awake, we hope that he won't care that his dream home went back to the bank, his dog got given away, his health insurance quit paying for hospital care after a month and a half and life might take much more effort and some relearning. We in his family think that he will have some challenges and a lot of new insight and stories to share.

It is pretty clear that he goes in and out of his coma. Many days he seems just tired or maybe sad. Other days he will open his eyes, looking around startled, seeming not to know where he is, then finally after we talk to him , he relaxes and goes back to sleep or just looks at us. He has said "mom" to me several times. That is a huge thing. It means that he can see and recognize me, he remembers, he can think of the word that matches the image, and can verbalize it properly. It actually takes so many steps for the brain to do that simple thing.

I owe an apology to everyone who asked for an update and didn't get one. Other than the obvious time spent with Chi, which usually meant no computer access, there were other situations to deal with. There has been relocating, which I need to do again this month. There has been insurance to fight with. There has been a rude legal battle to win the right to make medical and care decisions for Chi until he is fully awake. Thankfully, other than another move, all of my energy can go where it should again..

Many of you, in and out of the U.S. have made offers of help. It is very appreciated! And then there's Gina Blackmore. When she heard about the (roughly $750,000.) unpaid medical expenses, she just jumped on in and set up the OneLoveForChi.com and asked us to look at it. It is a great place for us to blog, people to share ideas and she set it up to assist us with whatever the need is. I mention this because I want there to be no misunderstanding about funds that are coming in. The money will go directly into a separate account set up for where the money most needs to go. That may be for part of his hospital room or for his extra physical therapy, but wherever it is distributed, I will be accountable to you. You can all know where it is spent. And be assured that is will be used with care and respect for the fact that all of it is someones hard earned income and shared with trust. Thank you to those who have contributed and, in advance, to anyone who feels inclined to. It amazes me how many people Chi has touched. You are all family to me and I love how you love my son! I will get back to updating on a regular basis. Look for updates on wwwOneLoveForChi.com (http://www.oneloveforchi.com) or the “Get Well Chi Cheng Card” on MySpace.

With Much Respect and ONE LOVE,

Chi and Jeanne and the Cheng Gang
"One Love For Chi" Chi Cheng Fundraiser, Deftones (http://www.oneloveforchi.com)

BumbleBeeMouth
03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
wow, and you would have always thought that the bassist from a band as big as the deftones would have some money!

Eulogy
03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
that's actually pretty cool.

he'd better get better soon though because i want a new album

ChristHimself!
03-23-2009, 04:50 PM
did anyone else read that update and wonder for a second why it was good that chi had called chino "mom"

threetwooneZERO
03-23-2009, 07:32 PM
wow, and you would have always thought that the bassist from a band as big as the deftones would have some money!

yeah, that's really bizarre.

TheDeuce
03-23-2009, 11:55 PM
did anyone else read that update and wonder for a second why it was good that chi had called chino "mom"

i did

Nimrod's Son
03-24-2009, 12:35 PM
who the hell calls their kids chi cheng or chino?

mexicans. dirty mexicans.

bardy
03-24-2009, 11:34 PM
woooo reppin sactown!!

and how does he nor any of his deftones buddies have any money????