View Full Version : Guys I've got a problem

28if
11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Depression thread.

I'll try to describe what is going on in as few words as possible.

My girlfriend of four years dumped me last fall (I'm 19), and ever since I've been dealing with insomnia/anxiety and depression. I'm over her now but the the depression persists. The depressive episodes can last from hours to weeks. Sleeping is always a problem, I'd say I have major problems getting to sleep maybe 2-3 nights a week. Currently seeing a mildly helpful therapist. Dealing.

Problem: The last week or so I have started to get extremely short (1-4 hours) bouts of extreme depression. Two last Sunday, a couple this week, and then one last night, one this morning, and one just now. I will feel EXTREMELY down, like I have no future, nothing will ever make me happy, I'm going crazy, my current girlfriend is going to dump me, fuck my entire life type stuff. And then I'll go for a walk or call my Mom and it'll all get completely better.

I'm fine right now, but forty five minutes ago I was freaking the fuck out about just... everything. It's kind of unnerving.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm calling my doctor Monday morning I guess.

28if
11-01-2008, 09:02 PM
lol ************* to thread.

but for real if you have any scholarly insight into this it would be appreciated.

Shallowed
11-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I worry about the same thing, except I have a girlfriend and she's awesome. :smoke:

28if
11-01-2008, 09:13 PM
What? So do I?

Mablak
11-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Depression actually helps you get more sleep, your problem must lie elsewhere. Case solved.

Shallowed
11-01-2008, 09:25 PM
She's not an awesome girlfriend if she's going to dump you.

Mo
11-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Depression =/= more sleep.

Get a better therapist? Get some exercise?

Travis Meeks
11-01-2008, 09:28 PM
ever think about welcoming Joseph Smith into your life?

28if
11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
lol at Joseph Smith.

And yeah... I'm doing all of those "depression fixes." They help, it's manageable. It's more these recent short term anxiety/depression attacks that are worrying me. General depression is something a lot of people deal with and something I can deal with, but these attacks the last few days do not seem normal at all. Like I said, I'm totally fine now, but an hour and a half ago I was seriously flipping out.

Hate the Hater
11-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Start taking a B complex vitamin for starters. To help you regulate your sleep, try Melatonin (in the vitamins section) It's cheap and it really works.

Where do you live? I ask because this time of year in northern states is notorious for causing depression to worsen. The shorter days and lack of sunlight mess with the mind. Try to get sunlight for 20 minutes each day possible. Even if you sit inside and look out the window it's better than going without. If your depression gets a lot worse in the winter, invest in a light box. I have one and in the winter it is awesome.

Also, if your therapist is only mildly helpful, find a new one. Shop around a little if that's what it takes to find one you click with.

Hate the Hater
11-01-2008, 09:51 PM
p.s. I have always thought you were a chick.

Starla
11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
This sounds like generalized anxiety disorder. Depression can accompany this in some people and insomnia. I've had this myself, when I was alot younger. I was given anti anxiety medicine, then decided to cope with it naturally. I'm not saying that's what you have, but it's possible.
You should call your doc and counselor - let them know what you're going through.

28if
11-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah. I have experienced sleep-related anxiety attacks before, and they're a lot like this. The difference is instead of being anxious about getting enough sleep, now I just get this incredibly hopeless/sad feeling, like nothing will ever be happy or okay again.

I ended up in a substantial fight with my girlfriend this morning when one happened. Something she said kind of triggered it to begin with, and I started off blaming her for it, and eventually was just reduced to crying (not literally, almost though) about how I was afraid she would dump me and then I would have no-one, I would never be happy again, my life was over, I was worthless, etc. Really :erm: stuff.

I regained my senses a half hour later or so and called her back and apologized, I *think* she understands. Predictably she was a little freaked out.

BumbleBeeMouth
11-02-2008, 03:21 AM
when these bouts occur, are you able to understand that it is just a chemical inbalance in your mind or is it so all encompassing?

28if
11-02-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm able to understand that I'm not thinking logically and the things I'm feeling are not nessecarily true, I suppose.

It's still pretty intense, though.

ChristHimself!
11-02-2008, 07:07 AM
has it ever occured to you to SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-u0QH_b-CnM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed>

BumbleBeeMouth
11-02-2008, 08:10 AM
haha brilliant.

killtrocity
11-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I've been seeing a therapist for a couple years, and aside from identifying irrational thoughts related to anxiety, I'm starting to realize all I can do to help myself is stop thinking, which is essential saying "yeah, I have an unsolvable problem so stop caring about things that matter to you".

redbull
11-02-2008, 11:34 PM
just get some prozac shit worked for me

wHATcOLOR
11-02-2008, 11:35 PM
i usually try to coordinate a 4 or 5 guy JO session via skype to lift my spirits

wHATcOLOR
11-02-2008, 11:37 PM
also, www.sadtrombone.com

28if
11-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Yeah. It seems like the only thing that helps is trying to just completely block those thoughts from my mind. I've been sleeping with a fan on for the past few months so if I start feeling anxious/whatever I can just focus all my thoughts on the noise.

I think I'm going to try and start some kind of medication. My therapist has been "reccomending" I do it for awhile but I've been reluctant. As ridiculous as this seems, I kind of feel like being down a lot is kind of a part of who I am, and I don't know if I really want to take a pill that changes that.

It's gotten to the point lately that it's REALLY hard to deal with though. I'm afraid if it gets any worse I will stop functioning normally (not showing up for work, damaging relationships, etc).

Anyone here been on that kind of thing? My father was on Paxil for awhile, he said it really worked for him. I've heard more negative stories from other aquaintences, though.

redbreegull
11-02-2008, 11:48 PM
As ridiculous as this seems, I kind of feel like being down a lot is kind of a part of who I am, and I don't know if I really want to take a pill that changes that.

INTOXICATED WITH TEH MADNESS
IM IN LOVE WITH MAH SADNESS

28if
11-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Exactly.

killtrocity
11-03-2008, 12:23 AM
28if, in light of your last post I feel like copying this journal entry I wrote after an intense depression but was reluctant to do so since this is netphoria, because I know exactly what you mean when you say sadness is a part of who you are. I took zoloft for a year and stopped because I didn't feel like myself although that was probably due to other reasons I'm still trying to discover:

In some ways, I feel like I'm already dead in that my despair, my struggle to understand myself, to understand the world, will never be anything more than internal and thus has already ended in futility.

I need to stop caring, stop taking this so seriously, but that would be to admit nothing whatsoever matters. This is a huge problem.

I need to let go of this cynicism, which is in reality a quest for ultimate truth. But this attitude, this negativity, this bitter cynicism, this sadness, self-pity, this desire to prove some point, to some how transcend and defy the inevitability of my own demise - all of these intrinsically linked - this is who I am! I am chronically sad due to the futility of this condition every human shares! To admit that nothing matters is to invalidate the sorrow, the anguish upon which I define my existence. It's as if reason itself is telling me I don't have the right to feel sorrow, the only rational response to knowing everything you know and love will one day cease to exist.
--

Anyway, focusing on the fan is definitely a positive thing. If you are not near the fan and start to feel anxious, focus on your breathing. Fill the bottom portion of your lungs and exhale for the same length of time as you inhale.

After clearing your mind, try to identify anxiety causing thoughts before they grow and become rooted in your lower consciousness.

this is merely the advice of a disconnected stranger who may be insane :blush:

redbreegull
11-03-2008, 12:26 AM

In some ways, I feel like I'm already dead in that my despair, my struggle to understand myself, to understand the world, will never be anything more than internal and thus has already ended in futility.

I need to stop caring, stop taking this so seriously, but that would be to admit nothing whatsoever matters. This is a huge problem.

I need to let go of this cynicism, which is in reality a quest for ultimate truth. But this attitude, this negativity, this bitter cynicism, this sadness, self-pity, this desire to prove some point, to some how transcend and defy the inevitability of my own demise - all of these intrinsically linked - this is who I am! I am chronically sad due to the futility of this condition every human shares! To admit that nothing matters is to invalidate the sorrow, the anguish upon which I define my existence. It's as if reason itself is telling me I don't have the right to feel sorrow, the only rational response to knowing everything you know and love will one day cease to exist.

ChristHimself!
11-03-2008, 02:09 AM
also if that fan really helps, and you're online but not near the fan

http://simplynoise.com/

donnie darko
11-03-2008, 03:52 AM
yeah. I feel the same way most of the time. I feel that if I take some kind of medication to help it I'll never really be myself, but then I'm just ending up paranoid as hell. I've just always played along with the notion that I'm crazy, which seems to work out for the most part. What you described, it's like it's always lurking in the back of your mind, all these constant thoughts and shit. I tried drugs back in the day, and drinking helps, but it tends to lose it's grip/effectiveness in the end. My theory is get right with god, because in the end, none of this shit really even matters. (I'm no where even close to being right with god btw)

Travis Meeks
11-03-2008, 06:51 AM
On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert
I pick up my money and head back into town
Driving cross the Waynesboro county line
I got the radio on and I'm just killing time
Working all day in my daddy's garage
Driving all night, chasing some mirage
Pretty soon little girl I'm gonna take charge.

The dogs on main street howl,
'cause they understand,
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister, I ain't a boy, no, I'm a man,
And I believe in a promised land.

I've done my best to live the right way
I get up every morning and go to work each day
But your eyes go blind and your blood runs cold
Sometimes I feel so weak I just want to explode
Explode and tear this town apart
Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
Find somebody itching for something to start