View Full Version : Demo advice

redbreegull
10-27-2008, 12:56 AM
My band mate and I are recording with our Duet Apogee now and we have a few songs down. I included the simplest one we have recorded here and I am looking for general feedback on what we did right/wrong in terms of recording, production, mixing, and arrangement and all. I am not looking for opinions on the quality of our voices or the song itself.

The acoustic guitar track is doubled with one on the left and one on the right. The vocal is also doubled to make it sound less thin. During the vocal harmonies there are three voices there, one being my voice, one being the other guy's voice, and the third being my falsetto which is brought a little bit farther forward than the other two. It is brought even farther to the front in the second chorus. The three voices are distributed at various points from left to right. We have a tambourine mixed way down during the chorus. The drum is a toy drum from the 1930s.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EVYMBEG2

Hate the Hater
10-27-2008, 01:11 AM
:think:

redbreegull
10-27-2008, 01:27 AM

Hate the Hater
10-27-2008, 01:28 AM
I think it sounds really good, but the vocals are a little too buried in the mix. Maybe increase the volume on the vocals and/or boost the midrange with eq.

Hate the Hater
10-27-2008, 01:28 AM

:eek:

redbreegull
10-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Hm, alright. We're a little wary of making our voices too prominent because they are not exactly optimal singing voices. If we boost the vocal a bit do you think a little more reverb will hurt it? It is sounding a little dry in this compressed format at least.

I really should post the lossless version but it is in my friend's basement, lol. It does sound better than this... there is much more separation and space instead having everything compressed all over the top of everything else.

Fritter
10-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Sounds pretty good.

Guitar's a bit loud i think. Some things buzzing in the chorus, i don't know shit though.

Mablak
10-27-2008, 01:57 AM
I think the vocal volume works. Not sure I have any suggestions, it sounds good.

bja1288
10-27-2008, 02:08 AM
isle?

Hate the Hater
10-27-2008, 02:19 AM
Hm, alright. We're a little wary of making our voices too prominent because they are not exactly optimal singing voices. If we boost the vocal a bit do you think a little more reverb will hurt it? It is sounding a little dry in this compressed format at least.

I really should post the lossless version but it is in my friend's basement, lol. It does sound better than this... there is much more separation and space instead having everything compressed all over the top of everything else.

By your description the lossless version sounds about perfect then. I wouldn't change it.

TheMilstead
10-27-2008, 02:41 AM
I didn't find a problem with the vocal volume. That bit of percussion you've got in there, though...raise the volume and put some more low end to it to give it a bit more impact. I don't think reverb would hurt what you've got, but I'm not sure if it'd help it much either.

Bah. This took me longer to type out tha nit shoul'vev.dfsjhzxkfjhdxjfhxk

Shapan
10-27-2008, 02:43 AM
isle?

pretty much

with training wheels

aldango
10-27-2008, 02:50 AM
i liked it! i really like the way you did the chorus. the whole song has the "hey we're playing in a shed at the north pole" thing to it which is awesome - the chorus emphasizes that and it really works.

Shapan
10-27-2008, 02:59 AM
in all seriousness, i agree with the vocals being a little low, but the levels sound pretty good.

waltermcphilp
10-27-2008, 03:38 AM
slingeroguitaro is a good mixer fella. he has been compared to Steve Albini.

Shapan
10-27-2008, 03:47 AM
oops that who i meant, i get those two mixed up

HEH

BlissedandGone2
10-27-2008, 04:02 AM
the kick with the percussion should be up and you should add bass notes each time it hits. the whole mix could be louder.

Hate the Hater
10-27-2008, 04:30 AM
The horn section sounds amazing, imho.

Rockin' Cherub
10-27-2008, 05:13 AM
I am looking for general feedback on what we did right/wrong in terms of recording, production, mixing, and arrangement and all. I am not looking for opinions on the quality of our voices or the song itself.

i consider arrangement an element of the song itself

Rockin' Cherub
10-27-2008, 05:16 AM
wow that was terrible

Shapan
10-27-2008, 05:28 AM
just tell him the sound levels were a little off so he can mosey along

hes not looking for criticism for the actual composition of the music who would want that

somaziro
10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
slingero guitaro to thread

redbreegull
10-28-2008, 02:31 AM
just tell him the sound levels were a little off so he can mosey along

hes not looking for criticism for the actual composition of the music who would want that

I don't see how you telling me how shitty the song is will help us write better songs. The way I see it that just comes with practice. Giving me advice on things other than the songwriting can help me make this sonically superior though.