View Full Version : satellite radio owners thread

donnie darko
10-26-2008, 02:58 AM
sirius dominates pretty much everyone, and when i say everyone I don't know who exactly I'm talking about. I want that badass stiletto 2 portable, it's like $330 tho. I bought the sportster 2 some time last year. I don't know what I'd do without it. Maybe become the next disgruntled postal worker...

sickbadthing
10-26-2008, 03:50 AM
just steal one

Starla
10-26-2008, 03:51 AM
I got it mainly so I could listen to stern. I also have XM through directv and they suck.
We have a couple of great radio stations up here and I still like coast to coast am.

ohnoitsbonnie
10-26-2008, 03:58 AM
I still peruse the old AM/FM

Travis Meeks
10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I bought Sirius for Straight Talk with Stuttering John

Skradgee
10-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm a happy XM customer. POTOUS '08 (24/7 election coverage) has been a great channel this year, and I love having all of the major league baseball games. Stern is now being offered to us as part of the "Best of Sirius" for an additional $5 a month or something like that.

The radio I've got is the Delphi MyFi that works in the car, at home and on-the-go. I love this model because it has all of the number buttons to direct dial the stations. The first one I had broke after more than two years so I got a replacement from eBay since isn't made anymore.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/ne/p/2004/myfi_348x364.jpg

donnie darko
10-26-2008, 12:44 PM
yeah, there's some kind of merger between xm and sirius. you can get "best of xm" on sirius as well.
just look at this bad boy.
http://www.orbitcast.com/sirius-stiletto-2.jpg

Gish08
10-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I'd pay for Satellite Radio if it didn't sound like RealAudio from 1997.

Hate the Hater
10-26-2008, 01:35 PM
http://www.fatbraintoys.com/images/products/large/PS015.jpg

donnie darko
10-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I'd pay for Satellite Radio if it didn't sound like RealAudio from 1997.

you can get cd quality for a whole extra $3 a month. It also depends on how it picks up it's signal. You'll get alot clearer reception with a direct connection.

Rider
10-27-2008, 05:27 AM
you can get cd quality for a whole extra $3 a month. It also depends on how it picks up it's signal. You'll get alot clearer reception with a direct connection.

CD quality for 3$ a month is for online streaming.

Gish08
10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
CD quality for 3$ a month is for online streaming.
Ridiculous.

How hard is it to use a good codec (AAC, Vorbis) and stream it at like 128kbps?

For fuck's sake, people PAY for this every month, and that's the audio quality they get?

I can stream Internet radio stations for free (that likely cost a loooot of money to run) and the sound quality is closer to that of mp3's on my hard drive than it is 56kbps RealAudio.

yo soy el mejor
10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
i havent listened to the radio in i dont know how long. but recently i heard some people at work talking about two new songs called stanky leg and ricky bobby. are you serious? >_<

at the car show at the fair we sat inside some swank ride and listening to satellite radio and blasted some kids station. it was all like WHAT DO YOU LIKE ON YOUR PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH. WONT YOU TELL US *insert name*. it was stuck in my head all day.

Skradgee
11-12-2008, 04:21 AM
I take back my previous comment. I am no longer a happy XM customer. All my favorite channels are gone! They've been renamed or replaced with the stupid Sirius equivalent. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, but we don't even have the option of paying more for those channels now.

Fuck! No more 66 Raw, 82 The System, or XM Chill 84 as we used to know it. If I wanted to listen to Coldplay, I'd listen to a shitty pop channel. Damnit! At least The Verge is still there.

donnie darko
11-12-2008, 04:25 AM
sirius 35 chill is all I ever listen to anymore. does anyone know where exactly you can't listen to sat. radio? say I'm a us subscriber and I leave the country, could I still listen to it?

Skradgee
11-12-2008, 04:38 AM
I think XM works in all of North America. I know it works in Canada. I assume it works in Mexico too.

donnie darko
11-12-2008, 06:19 AM
what about the middle east?

ravenguy2000
11-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I'm not personally a subscriber but I know a few people who have XM and they are not going to be happy about some of these.

Andrew_Pakula
11-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I bought Sirius for Straight Talk with Stuttering John

I have rock star hair

Pizza Club
11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I got it mainly so I could listen to stern. I also have XM through directv and they suck.
We have a couple of great radio stations up here and I still like coast to coast am.

Is C2C on the DirecTV XM channels? I think we are switching over to DirecTV anyway and that'd be a nice lil' bonus.

Nimrod's Son
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
The music choices on XM were always better, IMO.

Travis Meeks
11-30-2008, 01:11 AM
I think the music on Sirius has been amazing since they merged channels. Do you fellas agree?

Skradgee
11-30-2008, 01:47 AM
interesting that you think Sirius got better...

there are A LOT of rock choices in the new combined lineup. good if you like rock I suppose.

what music stations did you sirius subscribers lose? any rap stations? I think the slim shady channel is awful compared to what XM 66 raw was, but the new Hip Hop Nation on 67 kind of makes up for that.

Andrew_Pakula
11-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I don't know if you have noticed but they have started censoring certain stations, Lithium 24 for example plays censored versions of songs now so for a song like Radiohead's Creep you hear "so very special" instead of "so fucking special".

Sirius XM music now censored-Call to complain please. - SternFanNetwork (http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=411357)

dishpan
11-30-2008, 11:18 AM
they call it a merger but it is really sirius acquiring xm and then rebranding to try and not alienate all the xm subscribers. thats why sirius channels win out over xm on the new line up. if they are now censoring some music channels then that is complete bs though.

before i got sat radio i had heard about this "cd quality" but it turned out to be nonsense. it does sound better than fm, but it is not at all like listening to a cd on the music stations. the biggest difference is definitely the quality of the premiere talk shows, like stern. the 24/7 ledzep channel this month was pretty good too.

siriusxm should only work in the united states, even though the satellite signal covers most of north america. apparently our neighbors to the north have to drive into the states to buy a radio and use an american address to sign up for the service before taking it back across the border into canada just to hear. there are prolly some greymarket resellers online too. not sure how this applies to the online streaming though.

i had heard at one point they wanted to make a europe version but i dont know if thats out yet or ever will be. since it would require launching new satellites, which is rather expensive to say the least. overall i am a happy subscriber, although i dont pay the extra fees for higher bitrate streaming or "best of xm" packs, nor do i have the stiletto2 which i guess is the top of the line device. its nice they let you stream stern online though, that was surprising. a lot of your experience will be impacted by which radio you buy, fyi. lots of different ones do many different features and have a wide range in price. in a couple years we will have the next wave of radio technology, and a few years after that the new generation of satellites, so if they are still in business at that point it should be awesome.

dan

yo soy el mejor
11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
im listening to this american life right now

sppunk
11-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Hey, will Sirius acquire MLB for 2009? XM had exclusive rights to games and after the season I let my subscription expire.

Rider
11-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey, will Sirius acquire MLB for 2009? XM had exclusive rights to games and after the season I let my subscription expire.

I'm assuming it will be part of the best of XM package that we have to pay extra for.

sppunk
11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Fuck that. Actually, I might should look into this. Any advice on what type of receiver I should buy? Preferable a portable one to take to work, vacation, etc.

Rider
11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Fuck that. Actually, I might should look into this. Any advice on what type of receiver I should buy? Preferable a portable one to take to work, vacation, etc.

Buy any of the dock and play radios.

Dock and Play Units - Shop Sirius (http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreDirectory.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&catLevel=1&catParentID=7875&scId=7875&oldParentID=7870&cid=DockPlayRadios)

They all fit in the same dock so you just get the a dock for your car, a dock for your house, and one of those portable boom boxes and use the same radio in all of them. Plus you can upgrade anytime you want and the new docking radio will work with all your equipment without having to change anything.

MY advice get one with a nice screen, also get the most presets you can. I easy use 15-20 presets on my own.

sppunk
11-30-2008, 04:42 PM
So, you're saying I can buy the Starmate 5 for the receiver, and then buy individual docks for the home, car, etc.?

How do the docks work, like for the car? I can't find those - but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Travis Meeks
11-30-2008, 04:50 PM
just get the Stiletto 2.

Andrew_Pakula
11-30-2008, 05:25 PM
siriusxm should only work in the united states, even though the satellite signal covers most of north america. apparently our neighbors to the north have to drive into the states to buy a radio and use an american address to sign up for the service before taking it back across the border into canada just to hear. there are prolly some greymarket resellers online too. not sure how this applies to the online streaming though.

What the hell are you talking about? Sirius and XM have been available up here in Canada legally for over 2 years now.

Thaniel Buckner
11-30-2008, 05:34 PM
at the risk of sounding like the whiny cunt that gish08 is, the sound quality on satellite radio is piss poor for a pay service.

on top of that, i can't imagine why anyone would want to pay monthly just to hear howard stern. i can imagine paying for 24 hour news. but stern?

Travis Meeks
11-30-2008, 06:09 PM
i more or less pay solely for Stern.