View Full Version : One Hour Live Chat with Billy Corgan for $9.95 on 10-22 at 7:30pm CANCELLED

markpregen
10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
CANCELLED

NOTE: Looks like they changed the start time to 7:30pm...

http://www.eqmag.com/article/eq-presents-evening/oct-08/87719

EQ Presents: An Evening with Billy Corgan, a Live Online Masterclass, October 22nd

In this exclusive online offering, Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins conducts a one-hour live chat with you, the EQ reader. Coinciding with his October 2008 cover story, Corgan has made himself available to answer all of the recording-related questions you never thought you would get a chance to ask. Want to know how Corgan recorded some of the most highly celebrated albums in the history of alternative rock? Want to know the recipe to the Smashing Pumpkins’ guitar sounds? No problem. Simply log in and ask away. Space is limited so sign up now and take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime chance to interview one of the most celebrated recording artists of the past 20 years.

http://www.visualwebcaster.com/musicplayernetwork/storefront

EQ Artist Master Class Series: BILLY CORGAN with LIVE Q&A
Wednesday, October 22, 7:30pm PST (10:30pm EST)
Live class plus nine additional views of the archived version - $9.95
– Available Now – $9.95 – Add to Cart

17 cents/minute.. sine!

Kahlo
10-16-2008, 05:49 PM
excellent. no awkward questions please people.

This could be interesting if some recording stories come out

"actually James wrote most of Siamese Dream"

seeyouinjune
10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Is anyone else a bit concerned re: some of Billy's actions of late? First and foremost, charging 300 bucks for a handshake and brief conversation is something I thought I'd never see him do. Ever. Ever ever.

Secondly, 9.95 ? do the fucking interview for free.

Ugh.

And, while I'm here, what is up with the production of "starla" from if all goes wrong... The "quadrant" angle/mix of four-5 camera angles during the best parts of the song is terrible. I seriously would have vetoed that idea the second I saw it (had i the chance).

Fellow fans, I promise that this post comes from the heart, and from the love I have for great art.

Lastly, I really take offense that billy/pete townshend keep ranting about how nobody wants their favorite bands to change, etc etc, nobody wants artists to try new things, etc etc, THIS IS NOT TRUE and it is offensive to real fans of real art.

See you in New YOrk.

Kahlo
10-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Billy a sellout? I don't think he has ever have that levelled at him before in his career.

MisterSquishyHalo
10-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Billy a sellout? I don't think he has ever have that levelled at him before in his career.

This.

Pizza Club
10-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey guyz its once in a lifetime
ten bux plz

Kahlo
10-16-2008, 06:43 PM
MONTELDS: WHEN ARE YOU RELEASING GOSSAMER AS A SINGLE? I WILL BUY 40 COPIES!!
BC: ARE YOU THAT KID WHO HAS BEEN GOING THROUGH MY GARBAGE?

MisterSquishyHalo
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
The good thing is, because it costs some money, we might actually get some well thought out questions, and not stupid shit.

Money tends to weed out crap (sometimes)

28if
10-16-2008, 07:42 PM
The good thing is, because it costs some money, we might actually get some well thought out questions, and not stupid shit.

Money tends to weed out crap (sometimes)

I'm hoping the cost is meant more for this purpose than anything else. It at least deters assholes who just want to fuck with Billy, etc.

Slurpee
10-16-2008, 07:44 PM
As long as someone pays $10 to call him bolly, I'm ok with this.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-16-2008, 07:44 PM
the chat is meant for recording professionals and not necessarily fans. there won't be any assholes, but it will be heavily moderated and very serious

lucid_interval
10-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I hope no-one goes for this and makes Billy waste an hour of his time for nothing. 9.95 i mean for fucks sake. there was no mention of this in the original advert.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-16-2008, 07:47 PM
it will be packed.

MonteLDS
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
the chat is meant for recording professionals and not necessarily fans. there won't be any assholes, but it will be heavily moderated and very serious

yes, i believe this. But i will still be there

SlingeroGuitaro
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
you would. you wont have any idea what's going on

MonteLDS
10-16-2008, 07:54 PM
the interesting thing is that it will be a video broadcast and I have a few Q's of my own

28if
10-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I have a few Q's of my own

Oh god.

28if
10-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Monte you should ask him whether he records in standard or metric.

redbull
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
anyone planning on capping this in some manner?

ChaosEffect
10-16-2008, 08:49 PM
When SP did this before (in 2000?) they didn't charge. Bullshit.

MonteLDS
10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
anyone planning on capping this in some manner?

yes i plan to

ChaosEffect
10-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Doesn't it feel like rape since you know YOU INTERVIEWED HIM FOR FREE?

Pizza Club
10-16-2008, 09:23 PM
the interesting thing is that it will be a video broadcast and I have a few Q's of my own

that's not interesting at all. fuck you.

BlissedandGone2
10-16-2008, 09:52 PM

:eek: reaaaaaaaaaalllly?!!?!?!

???
10-16-2008, 10:07 PM
"billy, i'm coming to chicago tomorrow. tea, cakes, your place? thx, j"

skipgo
10-16-2008, 10:15 PM
this thread shows such a typical reaction from you guys. here's my typical response: "i'm sure BILLY is not charging for this interview, I imagine that was the decision of EQ." He'll probably make a little cut, but come on, this is what the guy does for a living, the music business. would you guys go to your job and do some of it for free because you don't want to 'sell out'?

SlingeroGuitaro
10-16-2008, 10:16 PM
this thread shows such a typical reaction from you guys. here's my typical response: "i'm sure BILLY is not charging for this interview, I imagine that was the decision of EQ." He'll probably make a little cut, but come on, this is what the guy does for a living, the music business. would you guys go to your job and do some of it for free because you don't want to 'sell out'?

:banging:
thank you skips

skipgo
10-16-2008, 10:17 PM
i'm here to help.

Pizza Club
10-16-2008, 10:18 PM
would you guys go to your job and do some of it for free because you don't want to 'sell out'?

this is an excellent point.

i'm not paying $10 because its just a stupid interview, but i have no problem with the band trying to make money.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-16-2008, 10:21 PM
and stop your bitching. billy's chat is cheaper than the other ones they hold

Pizza Club
10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
i ain't bitching, it's an interview for ten dollars. good for all the people that think it's worth it, i don't. i didn't know there was even a market for this but whatever

SlingeroGuitaro
10-16-2008, 10:48 PM
haha, i wasnt directing that at you ;)

just at the 'sell out' comments

skipgo
10-16-2008, 10:49 PM
i'd probably pay it if there was anything i really wanted to know. i can't think of anything though.

Pizza Club
10-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry

SlingeroGuitaro
10-16-2008, 10:55 PM
i want to know what speakers are in his silver cabinets, if there is a DI guitar mixed into the Today intro, and what was used to give his voice double the super thick, tube-y, swirled sound in 'i of the mourning'

that's about it

tcm
10-16-2008, 11:13 PM
those are some quality Q's

Phoenix Down
10-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Billy once said "The title of a song is like the wrapping on a present."

Can someone please ask him why he got so lazy with the wrapping? I could tell "(Come On) Let's Go" and "That's the Way (My Love is)" were inside just from looking at them.

Gish08
10-16-2008, 11:44 PM
The log should be interesting.

markpregen
10-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Billy once said "The title of a song is like the wrapping on a present."

Can someone please ask him why he got so lazy with the wrapping? I could tell "(Come On) Let's Go" and "That's the Way (My Love is)" were inside just from looking at them.

I have a feeling the moderators are only going to allow technical questions.. along the lines of what SlingeroGuitaro asked http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost.php?p=3363142&postcount=35

andrewface
10-17-2008, 12:22 AM
since im not gonna do it....can someone please ask him what fuzz pedal he used on siamese dream!
once and for all lets get a real answer!

machinaii
10-17-2008, 01:16 AM
we need to know more about Machina and the practice Crate amp/Marshal Valvestates that he used. A question on recording Real Love would be cool considering how fucking crazy the production of that song is. (crazy in a good way) have you ever really listened to the drums in that song?? wow

threetwooneZERO
10-17-2008, 01:19 AM
don't write that as a question.....next song title will be

Crazy (in a good way)

BlissedandGone2
10-17-2008, 02:00 AM
skipgo is my hero

skipgo
10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
:blush:

better than new
10-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Can't wait until my band can release ten version of the same shitty album and then charge people to talk to me.

skipgo
10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
yep, keep plugging away, maybe you'll get there someday. I'd pay like, $2.50, easily, to talk to you. I'm going to start a list of questions right now so i'm prepared.

seeyouinjune
10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Skipgo-

Billy is an artist. Someone who sees things in a different sort of way...someone who has sacrificed dearly for his craft and for following his heart (in many ways, im sure). And his music has always been authentic--and done for the right reasons--Such as being true to himself as an artist and pushing himself further, etc., and pushing US further in the process...

To answer your question, if I sold 25 million records in America alone, then no, I wouldn't charge anybody 9.95 to ask me questions about anything. period. And if i wanted to give fans a chance to converse with me before I put on a concert (where I am making probably 50,000-100,000 for one night's work), I would invite them backstage for FREE --- I certainly wouldn't cater to passive fans with trust funds, nor would I take advantage of the true fan that doesn't have money but loves the music and loves the art. And loves ME.

An artist has to sustain himself. I understand that. "I understand an artist should be paid just as you would pay a chef to cook you a good meal." But last time I checked Billy was doing just fine...

In sum, I suppose, the reason I am referring to billy as a sell-out is because I think this extra PR/VIP blah blah whatever is a part of his genuine need to be relevant. What he doesnt seem to understand is fans like us don't care if his sound bytes make rollingstone.com.

Kahlo
10-17-2008, 03:25 PM
The site charges for interviews. Stop being a moron.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
The site charges for interviews.

this. and like i said, billy's is cheaper than the rest so i could feasibly have said 'i dont want you to charge that much'

Phoenix Down
10-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Skipgo-

Billy is an artist. Someone who sees things in a different sort of way...someone who has sacrificed dearly for his craft and for following his heart (in many ways, im sure). And his music has always been authentic--and done for the right reasons--Such as being true to himself as an artist and pushing himself further, etc., and pushing US further in the process...

To answer your question, if I sold 25 million records in America alone, then no, I wouldn't charge anybody 9.95 to ask me questions about anything. period. And if i wanted to give fans a chance to converse with me before I put on a concert (where I am making probably 50,000-100,000 for one night's work), I would invite them backstage for FREE --- I certainly wouldn't cater to passive fans with trust funds, nor would I take advantage of the true fan that doesn't have money but loves the music and loves the art. And loves ME.

An artist has to sustain himself. I understand that. "I understand an artist should be paid just as you would pay a chef to cook you a good meal." But last time I checked Billy was doing just fine...

In sum, I suppose, the reason I am referring to billy as a sell-out is because I think this extra PR/VIP blah blah whatever is a part of his genuine need to be relevant. What he doesnt seem to understand is fans like us don't care if his sound bytes make rollingstone.com.

I respect you, skipgo. What I don't understand is this notion that someone who has made a fortune should give away things or time (and time certainly equals money when you run a business like the smashing pumpkins) for free just because he is "already rich enough". This is ludicrous. Then rather give money to charity, if we're talking about greed here.

Phoenix Down
10-17-2008, 03:46 PM
And before anyone gets on my tits for calling the band a business: I don't think there's anything wrong with that and I'm glad they are this professional, cause that's how you survive as a band. I think Billy even said something along these lines on the uli date.

skipgo
10-17-2008, 04:00 PM
fucking hell, seeyouinjune do you (or people like you) THINK before you speak? like others have said, it's the SITE that is charging, not billy. For all we know, he might not be getting a cut at all. He probably is, but like i said, it's part of the business. I'm an artist too; I make my living solely by creating art. And you'd better believe I get paid for everything I do. It's my JOB. Just because it comes from my heart, just because it's a creative job, it doesn't mean i'm going to turn down $$ because i have bills to pay. and creating art is his JOB. I guess since he's sold so many records and has so much money, everything he ever does should be for free now. Is that how it works? Bill Gates should start giving away computers, cause that fucker is rich enough now, right?

and none of that even matters anyway, since again, it's the site that is charging for the chat, not billy.

skipgo
10-17-2008, 04:01 PM
I respect you, skipgo. What I don't understand is this notion that someone who has made a fortune should give away things or time (and time certainly equals money when you run a business like the smashing pumpkins) for free just because he is "already rich enough". This is ludicrous. Then rather give money to charity, if we're talking about greed here.

i'm not sure if i'm just misunderstanding you; you know i'm not the one complaining about this chat costing $$ right? Because I see it the same as you do :)

Phoenix Down
10-17-2008, 04:04 PM
i'm not sure if i'm just misunderstanding you; you know i'm not the one complaining about this chat costing $$ right? Because I see it the same as you do :)

No, to be honest I actually thought it was you. I'm working simultaneously and didn't really pay too much attention. Sorry :)

Kahlo
10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm an artist too; I make my living solely by creating art. And you'd better believe I get paid for everything I do. It's my JOB. Just because it comes from my heart, just because it's a creative job, it doesn't mean i'm going to turn down $$ because i have bills to pay.

People need to remember this.

http://www.popnography.com/images/2008/05/08/leisha.jpg

This lady approves of Skipgo

skipgo
10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
No, to be honest I actually thought it was you. I'm working simultaneously and didn't really pay too much attention. Sorry :)

it's okay :)

skipgo
10-17-2008, 04:07 PM
People need to remember this.

http://www.popnography.com/images/2008/05/08/leisha.jpg

This lady approves of Skipgo

oh HELLO!
ooh, i'll be meeting her tuesday. and i don't have to pay $9.95 to do so. :rockon:

Kahlo
10-17-2008, 04:11 PM
In what capacity?

skipgo
10-17-2008, 04:14 PM
going to see her band; her label set it up for me to meet with the band since i won that contest and all... like a true fangirl, i'll be giving the shoes i painted to them. such a dork. but anyway, derail derail derail.

Kahlo
10-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Well If you end up sleeping with her, let us know.

skipgo
10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Well If you end up sleeping with her, let us know.

of course. i'll take photos.

Kahlo
10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
PS: I've spoken to their manager, and I'm sending them your picture*

*only half of this is true.

Anyway back to Billy Corgan

seeyouinjune
10-17-2008, 04:49 PM
fucking hell, seeyouinjune do you (or people like you) THINK before you speak? like others have said, it's the SITE that is charging, not billy. For all we know, he might not be getting a cut at all. He probably is, but like i said, it's part of the business. I'm an artist too; I make my living solely by creating art. And you'd better believe I get paid for everything I do. It's my JOB. Just because it comes from my heart, just because it's a creative job, it doesn't mean i'm going to turn down $$ because i have bills to pay. and creating art is his JOB. I guess since he's sold so many records and has so much money, everything he ever does should be for free now. Is that how it works? Bill Gates should start giving away computers, cause that fucker is rich enough now, right?

and none of that even matters anyway, since again, it's the site that is charging for the chat, not billy.

I respect your ability to create full-time and survive. Trust me - I do. But you must realize that we are dealing with a slightly different animal here...

And no, when did I say everything Billy does should be free now? I never said that is "how it works." I acutally respect billy dearly and that is why I just bought two tickets for like 200 dollars...to watch him do what he does best... But if you, I donno, wrote poems or, created experimental film, or, pretty much did anything else artistically and then hit the bigtime... (Like 10+million in the bank bigtime) and then proceeded to squeeze every last penny through NON ARTISTIC means, ...

UGH, you know what, I see where you all are coming from, I really do. Perhaps I was a bit meanspirited or aggressive. Maybe I'm flat out wrong. But there is a point buried in my prose...somewhere. Maybe, just maybe, that is why some of the oppositional postings have been so passionate...you guys know there is some validity to what I am saying.

I love you all... even you spitgo...actually especially you spitgo.

seeyouinjune
10-17-2008, 04:51 PM
PS gates SHOULD be giving away computers to those that can't afford them. In fact, that is exactly what he is doing.

seeyouinjune
10-17-2008, 04:53 PM
PPS I realize my gates argument isn't analogous to the current situation... Spitgo, I don't think your reference to gates was on point either...

But that is here and there...
Goodbye I promise.

Kahlo
10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
are you on drugs, or just stupid?

BlissedandGone2
10-17-2008, 05:01 PM
was i the only one who read seeyouinjunes post with a really flamboyant, lispy voice?

seeyouinjune
10-17-2008, 05:06 PM
haha

Hypocaust
10-17-2008, 05:26 PM
...I put on a concert (where I am making probably 50,000-100,000 for one night's work) lol whut. Are you from Mexico?

stumpycat
10-18-2008, 12:37 AM
I think the primary problem here might be that SP fans are automatically assuming that this is some event for them to have privileged access to talk to Billy Corgan--a kind of "fan entitlement" thing--when in fact it is not. This is obviously some kind of regularly scheduled paid access/premium feature of EQ itself, of which Billy happens to be taking part as the guest of the month.

In any case, Billy seems rather proud of his own recording methodologies (which he seems to think are rather clever, innovative, and unique) so I'm not sure if money would be the motivation here so much as drawing attention to that aforementioned aspect of his own sound production and recording techniques. I think Billy Corgan himself is very convinced he is talking about creating art, and this may be a way of drawing attention to it.

markpregen
10-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Looks like they changed the start time to 7:30pm Pacific, 10:30pm Eastern.. mods feel free to fix my title

that was fast :cheers:

BlissedandGone2
10-18-2008, 02:59 AM
i dont really see why anyone would have a problem with this at all. it makes perfect sense and is actually a pretty cool, unique opportunity. billy's recording experience is really vast and incredible.

wpc33
10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Billy: Hey kid. Lemme hold two-hunnid.
Monte: OMFG YES!!!

;)

Spaldz
10-20-2008, 09:42 AM
yes i plan to

Whooo..Awesome. This will be strange to watch but interesting

MonteLDS
10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
i am sending a friend to watch this, i have some very important things to attend to at the time it is going on

maoi
10-20-2008, 01:32 PM

What fucking job?

Being paid just to chat? That's a ripoff. This guy is constantly demanding money from us. I don't care if it's the labels or magazines who are doing that, he is making the conscious decision to associate with those entities knowing they are about profit.

Pizza Club
10-20-2008, 01:58 PM
i am sending a friend to watch this, i have some very important things to attend to at the time it is going on

No one cares about your cross burnings.

T&T
10-20-2008, 02:11 PM
can someone ask if billy has ever recorded himself playing left-handed guitar, just because it wouldn't sound like his usual playing?

smashing0
10-20-2008, 02:42 PM
What fucking job?

Being paid just to chat? That's a ripoff. he's doing a Q/A with industry professionals...
This isn't some sort of thing for the fans
get over yourself

BlissedandGone2
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
uh...

10-20-2008 01:23 PM maoi haha. your rep powers do nothing to me. don't you see how powerful I am? this is the kind of backlash you get when you mess with the mayfuck. neg rep.

Spaldz
10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
can someone ask if billy has ever recorded himself playing left-handed guitar, just because it wouldn't sound like his usual playing?

You could ask him where you could get a Machina II 24bit/192Khz needle drop

SlingeroGuitaro
10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
what a turd

somaziro
10-20-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't care whether he charges or not. He doesn't have to speak to anyone about anything if he didn't want to.

aldango
10-20-2008, 04:10 PM
i want to know what motivates bill to make his vocals so damn loud in the mix (since zwan, worse with zeitgeist)

it's bugging me so bad!

28if
10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
What fucking job?

Being paid just to chat? That's a ripoff. This guy is constantly demanding money from us. I don't care if it's the labels or magazines who are doing that, he is making the conscious decision to associate with those entities knowing they are about profit.

I have to go with the unpopular opinion here as well. It is really starting to seem like it is more about making money and being "relevant" than making music anymore. Billy is a rich motherfucker. Between releasing 832958932 copies of Zeitgiest, charging hundreds of dollars for a handshake, and ten dollars to ask him a fucking question, I mean come the fuck on. This is just blatant exploitation of his fan base. The "VIP" packages especially irk me, you can't point any fingers at anyone but Billy for that one.

Maybe I wouldn't be complaining as much if almost every SP2 song didn't totally suck.

smashing0
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
The "VIP" packages especially irk me, you can't point any fingers at anyone but Billy for that one.the VIP packages for SP are half the price of any other band on that site
:cry:

BlissedandGone2
10-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I have to go with the unpopular opinion here as well. It is really starting to seem like it is more about making money and being "relevant" than making music anymore. Billy is a rich motherfucker. Between releasing 832958932 copies of Zeitgiest, charging hundreds of dollars for a handshake, and ten dollars to ask him a fucking question, I mean come the fuck on. This is just blatant exploitation of his fan base. The "VIP" packages especially irk me, you can't point any fingers at anyone but Billy for that one.

Maybe I wouldn't be complaining as much if almost every SP2 song didn't totally suck.

how many fucking times do we need to explain that the q&a isn't even for fans?

T&T
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM
probably one more time.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
at least

donnie darko
10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
every one on netphoria has lost their mind. Love for billy and the smashing pumpkins hurts, in this case and every other recent case your wallets. but I guess no one is holding a gun to your head asking you to be a pumpkin fan. Do like me and think of the vip packages/50 versions of zeitgeist as an opportunity for some of us hardcore fans to experience what we missed out on a long time ago.

28if
10-20-2008, 07:23 PM
how many fucking times do we need to explain that the q&a isn't even for fans?

I don't give a shit! He's still charging people money to ask him a fucking question!

It doesn't matter "who it's meant for." Unless they're somehow screening signups so only "industry professionals" can pay the ten dollars, it's for fans.

the VIP packages for SP are half the price of any other band on that site
:cry:

Exactly. This is the type of shit I'd expect from Celine Dion, not Billy Corgan. The price doesn't matter, it still comes down to the fact that he's charging money for a handshake and a picture. Jesus Christ.

skipgo
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't give a shit! He's still charging people money to ask him a fucking question!

no he's not you dumb shit. EQ magazine charges for this. what a thick skull you have.

28if
10-20-2008, 07:36 PM
And Billy isn't getting a cut?

I wouldn't be nearly as pissed about it if it wasn't just the latest thing in this string of bullshit we've been subjected to recently.

skipgo
10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
sorry i called you a dumb shit. i get so MEAN sometimes.

skipgo
10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
heh

SlingeroGuitaro
10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
this is no different than a musician doing a clinic at a music store that you have to buy a ticket to

waltermcphilp
10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
one more time from the top.

28if
10-20-2008, 07:42 PM
this is no different than a musician doing a clinic at a music store that you have to buy a ticket to

I work at the largest music store in the US and all of our clinics are free :erm:

SlingeroGuitaro
10-20-2008, 07:43 PM
isnt it lonely there?

SlingeroGuitaro
10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I work at the largest music store in the US and all of our clinics are free :erm:

okay

waltermcphilp
10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
isnt it lonely there?

so lonely. so very lonely.

http://thehappypill.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/lonely.jpg

SlingeroGuitaro
10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
^ very kahloesque

machinaii
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
this picture needs to be bigger and not in japanese,
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/5060/91077137mkLaAB_ph.jpg

???
10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
^why the hell are the titles in english?

BlissedandGone2
10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
It doesn't matter "who it's meant for." Unless they're somehow screening signups so only "industry professionals" can pay the ten dollars, it's for fans.

i dont know about you, but as a musician who works in studios and with producers fairly regularly, and as a big fan of billys work and its vastly varying production and recording techniques, i would love to get a chance to talk with billy strictly about just that. you say it doesnt matter who its meant for because if they arent screening then its for fans, but unless youre a complete idiot, it shouldnt need to be screened. you obviously don't want to pay to talk to billy about his gear and history of recording, so you have been screened. stop complaining about something you don't need to take a part in and arent invited to do in the first place. unless youre a bigshot producer, studio owner, in which case i take it back and i am very sorry sir.

BlissedandGone2
10-20-2008, 08:12 PM
^why the hell are the titles in english?

japanese people are usually very proficient in english and their culture is also swarmed with american culture, its very popular.

Quiet CD
10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Three Questions:
1) Metro DVD
2) Djalizwan album
3) Chicago Songs

One Answer:
Because I wouldn't make enough money.

skipgo
10-20-2008, 09:06 PM
i think a lot of pumpkins fans are cheap motherfuckers.

28if
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
i dont know about you, but as a musician who works in studios and with producers fairly regularly, and as a big fan of billys work and its vastly varying production and recording techniques, i would love to get a chance to talk with billy strictly about just that. you say it doesnt matter who its meant for because if they arent screening then its for fans, but unless youre a complete idiot, it shouldnt need to be screened. you obviously don't want to pay to talk to billy about his gear and history of recording, so you have been screened. stop complaining about something you don't need to take a part in and arent invited to do in the first place. unless youre a bigshot producer, studio owner, in which case i take it back and i am very sorry sir.

I am a musician as well and would love to hear what Billy has to say about his recording techniques; I picked up the original issue of EQ when it came out. I just think it's a douchebag move to charge money for answers to questions. And like I have said I believe twice already, the EQ chat thing alone would not bother me nearly as much if not for all of this other money-grubbing bullshit Billy has been pulling lately.

ChaosEffect
10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
I think a lot of pumpkins fans are cheap motherfuckers.

So will you be paying the 9.95 to ask Billy a question?

skipgo
10-20-2008, 09:25 PM
i would if i could think of anything really good to ask him. maybe i will think of something; in which case, sure I'll pay it.

ChaosEffect
10-20-2008, 09:28 PM
These 3 are pretty good, but I don't think its worth the money.

Three Questions:
1) Metro DVD
2) Djalizwan album
3) Chicago Songs

Even if you only get this or a similar answer.

One Answer:
Because I wouldn't make enough money.

BlissedandGone2
10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
did anyone else notice if you go to the link of the news release fort his it says "Canceled: An Evening With Billy Corgan, A Live Online" thats just great.

BlissedandGone2
10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
oh and speaking of that issue, how sick is this?!

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/eq_200810/

MisterSquishyHalo
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
well done blissed.

ChaosEffect
10-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Haha! Eye was going to be Shaq's theme song.

Good stuff.

MisterSquishyHalo
10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Eye was made for Shaq Diesel? lol.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-20-2008, 10:35 PM
wow. you guys are just now reading that?

MisterSquishyHalo
10-20-2008, 10:35 PM
even though I don't get the gear talk, that was a really informative article.

BlissedandGone2
10-20-2008, 10:36 PM

i had read it, but i just thought it was nice it was all digitized.

MisterSquishyHalo
10-20-2008, 10:38 PM

didn't see a link before heh.

Forgotten Child
10-20-2008, 11:01 PM
EqMag.com >> This Month >> Canceled: An Evening With Billy Corgan, A Live Online

skipgo
10-20-2008, 11:04 PM
i like that he talked about the spinning wheel of death (or as my fellow mac using friends call it, the spinning beach ball). ugh. deal with that damned thing every day.

good article.

maybe the chat was cancelled because netphorians hurt billy's feelings.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-20-2008, 11:06 PM
please dont give netphoria that much credit

our ego is too big already

skipgo
10-20-2008, 11:08 PM
i was just trying to make everyone feel better. like they'd accomplished something.

markpregen
10-20-2008, 11:22 PM
EqMag.com >> This Month >> Canceled: An Evening With Billy Corgan, A Live Online

Hmm, not sure if anyone noticed this.. but thanks for the heads up.. I'll edit the first post

Floppy Nono
10-20-2008, 11:24 PM
are you KIDDING ME? it hasn't even been a week and this thing is canceled already?

i can't even find where it's canceled on the site

markpregen
10-20-2008, 11:27 PM
^ I can't find the event on the site anymore, so maybe that's their way of saying it's cancelled.

Floppy Nono
10-20-2008, 11:30 PM
great, file this between "metro dvd coming out" and "gish chat" in billy corgan's x-files.

tcm
10-20-2008, 11:32 PM
dude gish chat happened. it was epic. this never would have lived up to gish chat.

Floppy Nono
10-20-2008, 11:35 PM
maybe i meant gish month, i'm just too distraught over the news that something 3 people cared about is canceled.

Floppy Nono
10-20-2008, 11:36 PM
did gish month happen? what about billys solo album?

ryoga
10-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm confused by the first post, was it completely canceled or was the start time just changed?

Floppy Nono
10-20-2008, 11:50 PM
completely canceled it seems

waltermcphilp
10-20-2008, 11:55 PM
did gish month happen? what about billys solo album?

gish box set?

Floppy Nono
10-20-2008, 11:57 PM
maybe that's what i was thinking about, but isn't that still happening? bah, forget it, i'm having a retarded day and i need a HtH cam show to help clear my head.

ryoga
10-21-2008, 12:19 AM
So they changed the start time to 7:30 and then shortly canceled it altogether? I don't know how well advertised this was but maybe there wasn't enough people signed up for it or maybe billy just had other plans :think:

Floppy Nono
10-21-2008, 12:38 AM
probably low sign up

Kahlo
10-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Monte scared Billy off

Spaldz
10-21-2008, 07:00 AM
Fingers crossed this isn't a premonition of the US tour.

Kahlo
10-21-2008, 07:07 AM
That would be hilarious.

skipgo
10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Hmm, not sure if anyone noticed this.. but thanks for the heads up.. I'll edit the first post

i changed the thread title for you.

rolmos
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
^ Mod of the year

T&T
10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
but our important questions will never be answered :(

maoi
10-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Good he came to his senses and didn't participate in this ripoff.

If he wanted to do a Q&A with fans he could easily set something up himself, through SP's own website or whatever.

Cool As Ice Cream
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Monte scared Billy off

^ this

BlissedandGone2
10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
If he wanted to do a Q&A with fans he could easily set something up himself, through SP's own website or whatever.

you have a pretty thick skull dont you?

Floppy Nono
10-21-2008, 01:44 PM
i don't really see what's wrong with what he said...

BlissedandGone2
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
i don't really see what's wrong with what he said...

he's implying again that this was for fans.

null123
10-21-2008, 01:53 PM
the pricing is weird. $10 even would actually seem a little less like a cash grab. when they try to use consumer psychology I feel like I'm being sold Oxyclean or something.

Floppy Nono
10-21-2008, 01:55 PM
he's implying again that this was for fans.

how is this not for fans who want to know how billy corgan recorded their favorite albums and songs? do you think people who DON'T like the pumpkins really want to hear about how he made albums they DON'T care about or what guitars he used to make the songs they DON'T like? Just because the chat has a topic and is hosted on another site doesn't mean it wasn't meant for fans of his music.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-21-2008, 02:37 PM
how is this not for fans who want to know how billy corgan recorded their favorite albums and songs? do you think people who DON'T like the pumpkins really want to hear about how he made albums they DON'T care about or what guitars he used to make the songs they DON'T like? Just because the chat has a topic and is hosted on another site doesn't mean it wasn't meant for fans of his music.

im not a fan of the music that chris lord-alge mixes but i would love to know how he gets the sounds he does. so, yes.

Floppy Nono
10-21-2008, 02:45 PM
it's too bad chris lord-alge isn't in that chat but rather the head musician of a band talking about how he recorded his own songs.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-21-2008, 02:50 PM
no different than the victor wooten or larry carlton chats coming up

Floppy Nono
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
yes, that's right. those are two other bands talking about how they recorded their music and the equipment they used on it. congratulations, whats your point?

BlissedandGone2
10-21-2008, 03:52 PM

the point is that when you say its a q&a for fans, it implies that its just chatting with billy corgan and hes charging for it. you can look at fans as a couple different things. one is the fan who loves billys music and listens and they might want to chat with him for the sake of chatting. one might be someone who is technically involved in music and has been interested in it as well. if you think about it as focused on something in his expertise that gets very technical, it becomes more of a class. it isn't directed towards the fans that are interested just because its billy, its directed towards those in the field. yes some of those people could cross over as fans of his recordings and people interested in his music, but if youre an everyday fan who isn't involved with music recording and technologies, then it isn't directed for you. yes many fans might be interested just because they are fans, but that doesn't mean its for them. the fans that would be interested for legitimate reasons probably would pay for it.

T&T
10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
^^^
can you explain this one more time?

Floppy Nono
10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
the point is that when you say its a q&a for fans, it implies that its just chatting with billy corgan and hes charging for it. you can look at fans as a couple different things. one is the fan who loves billys music and listens and they might want to chat with him for the sake of chatting. one might be someone who is technically involved in music and has been interested in it as well. if you think about it as focused on something in his expertise that gets very technical, it becomes more of a class. it isn't directed towards the fans that are interested just because its billy, its directed towards those in the field. yes some of those people could cross over as fans of his recordings and people interested in his music, but if youre an everyday fan who isn't involved with music recording and technologies, then it isn't directed for you. yes many fans might be interested just because they are fans, but that doesn't mean its for them. the fans that would be interested for legitimate reasons probably would pay for it.

that is the netphorian equivalent of the "unknown knowns and the known unknowns" Donald Rumsfeld speech right there.

this was supposed to be a chat for people familiar with his work to ask questions about the way it was recorded and the methods and equipment used to create the tones. why you believe that it was created for and aimed at people totally unfamiliar with the band is beyond me...

Shallowed
10-21-2008, 06:36 PM
It was supposed to be a chat with Billy Corgan, you paid your $9.95 and ask him whatever the fuck you want for an hour.

BlissedandGone2
10-21-2008, 06:46 PM
that is the netphorian equivalent of the "unknown knowns and the known unknowns" Donald Rumsfeld speech right there.

this was supposed to be a chat for people familiar with his work to ask questions about the way it was recorded and the methods and equipment used to create the tones. why you believe that it was created for and aimed at people totally unfamiliar with the band is beyond me...

first of all, no i never said it was aimed at people totally unfamilliar with the band.
i said it was aimed at people who were associated with musical recording and interest in music technology.
secondly, it is designed as a master class. its not just a chat with fans. its a q+a with a focus and purpose. it isn't a random fan chat. if billy corgan got asked by eq magazine to do an online masterclass/q+a about recording techniques, production, engineering and equipment, there should be no expectation for eq to even hold something like that for free, nor billy to do it for free especially since theyve done it before. did you not notice that eq has hosted and archived many many other versions of this with other artists that plenty of which did not ******* a q+a and all of which were MORE expensive than billys? not to mention billy is probably the biggest name theyve had for something like this.

Floppy Nono
10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
ok, as to your first point, let me quote you from the blurb used to advertise this whole little chat

In this exclusive online offering, Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins conducts a one-hour live chat with you, the EQ reader. Coinciding with his October 2008 cover story, Corgan has made himself available to answer all of the recording-related questions you never thought you would get a chance to ask. Want to know how Corgan recorded some of the most highly celebrated albums in the history of alternative rock? Want to know the recipe to the Smashing Pumpkins’ guitar sounds? No problem. Simply log in and ask away. Space is limited so sign up now and take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime chance to interview one of the most celebrated recording artists of the past 20 years.

that sure sounds like it's aimed at people who are interested in how his albums were made or at the very least, someone who would have to have a background history of the band in order to ask QUESTIONS THEY NEVER THOUGHT THEY WOULD GET TO ASK HIM.

as for the 2nd part, you are entirely mistaken in every single way.

just because a chat with a musician has a topic that isn't go giddy free for all does not mean it isn't being aimed at people who are fans of that musician and want to know more about the recordings. you would have to be a fan of the pumpkins work to even begin to think of an interesting question to ask here. how can you go into a chat about his specific works with no knowledge on them at all? he has an hour to spend on this; for someone to just join and ask willy nilly questions is a disgusting waste of time.

as for the price issue, not once did i ever take offense to it costing money.

however, if he was REALLY interested in doing this, he could, as maoi said, find a way to still make it happen.

RealAudio 3.0
10-24-2008, 01:22 AM
I wanted to ask him about whether he actually used the Creamy Dreamer on an album, and what happened to the deal he was apparently working out with Sustain Punch.

Anyone remember Gish Month? As I recall, he pretty much evaded most questions.