View Full Version : Butch Vig to produce next Green Day album

Shallowed
10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Is this a "Yay!" or "nay!" for you?

http://www.punknews.org/article/30725

Producer Butch Vig has reportedly signed on to produce the next album from Green Day. Vig, a veteran producer, has worked on notable albums like Nirvana's Nevermind, Jimmy Eat World's Chase This Light and Against Me!'s New Wave as well as frontman Tom Gabel's solo album, Heart Burns.

The news comes via Green Day Authority who produced a clip of Vig's Garbage bandmate discussing the job on Carson Daly.

Very little is known about the highly anticipated new Green Day album, though the band's label let slip that the record is due in 2009. Their last album, American Idiot, was a massive critical and commercial success and the band followed up the album with the "side project" Foxboro Hot Tubs who released Stop Drop and Roll!!! earlier this year.

Shallowed
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Lol first comment

Shallowed
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Lol second comment

???
10-08-2008, 08:25 PM
lol foxboro hot tubs.

that name was just made to have lol put in front of it.

rudi
10-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Green Day?

lol?

ravenguy2000
10-08-2008, 10:20 PM
music?

ChaosEffect
10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Gay Day? lol

redbreegull
10-09-2008, 01:21 AM
It makes me sad to see Vig's talent going to waste on all these bands that cannot possibly utilize his full ability. Siamese Dream is one of the best produced albums of all time because of the sheer incredible dynamic of it. There is no better production than on something like Soma, all 60 of those guitar tracks filling it to this massive expansive piece that would be bloated and ridiculous save for the beautiful, quiet sections of the song, and here he is producing Green Day which will require two guitar tracks, drums, bass and vocals.

avsfan7733
10-09-2008, 01:24 AM
at least it will be interesting to see what it sounds like..

think they will shake up the green day formula??
I'm saying no.

Shapan
10-09-2008, 01:43 AM
nevermind had a guitar, a bass, a drumkit, and two vocals and sounded great so who gives a fuck about the instruments he can gloss into a song.

i still like green day even though american idiot was hit or miss, so this will be interesting

avsfan7733
10-09-2008, 01:49 AM
i thought american idiot was pretty decent. But then again I also liked warning.

rudi
10-09-2008, 03:12 AM
American Idiot?

lol?

Sonic Johnny
10-09-2008, 04:49 AM
i'm giving 2:1 odds that this will be American Idiot pt. 2, a giant turd, and will go platinum in about 11 seconds of being on shelves.

i'm also giving 40:1 odds that they'll recreate the awesomeness of Dookie and Butch will do a bang-up job.

StillBecomingApart
10-09-2008, 05:05 AM
I feel like I just got owned pretty bad.

I really like Foxboro Hot Tubs, "Mother Mary" is really good ... but I didn't know they were Green Day. It's strange because I didn't like American Idiot...

I'm shocked

danondorf
10-09-2008, 05:30 AM
*sigh*

First Shirley playing a urinal. Now this.......I might as well completely forget about Garbage.

Shapan
10-09-2008, 06:26 AM
im surprised you didnt forget about them 10 years ago

I feel like I just got owned pretty bad.

I really like Foxboro Hot Tubs, "Mother Mary" is really good ... but I didn't know they were Green Day. It's strange because I didn't like American Idiot...

I'm shocked

haha yeah, but thank god. after billie joe was butt buddies with bono for a while i was afraid the guy would forget how to make fun music that didnt have to have serious themes. but ive heard a couple of fht's songs, and they're really carefree and easy going, kind of a breath of fresh air, not even so much because they're stellar but because the band is best when they're in that mindset. i dont think green day will ever capture me like they did when i was younger but ill appreciate their records if they keep that playfulness that made me like them in the first place.

i have to listen to all that fht album, those songs i initially heard just sounded like something the fratellis would do. im sure ill find something i like in that album, then ill forget about it, just like the fratellis albums.

Shallowed
10-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Siamese Dream is one of the best produced albums of all time because of the sheer incredible dynamic of it.

Sadly, whenever I see an article about or mentioning Butch Vig, in the obligatory list of albums he produces, they hardly ever credit Siamese Dream. I've seen an article where they credit him with Sonic Youth's "diRty" but not SD. I thought Sonic Youth was a far more acquired taste and therefore lesser-known than Smashing Pumpkins.

And of course, everyone has to mention Nevermind.

redbreegull
10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Green Day used to be one of my favorite bands but my interest has completely dropped off in the space between the time I was 16 and now. I wonder if I will buy this album

StillBecomingApart
10-09-2008, 02:33 PM
im surprised you didnt forget about them 10 years ago
haha yeah, but thank god. after billie joe was butt buddies with bono for a while i was afraid the guy would forget how to make fun music that didnt have to have serious themes. but ive heard a couple of fht's songs, and they're really carefree and easy going, kind of a breath of fresh air, not even so much because they're stellar but because the band is best when they're in that mindset. i dont think green day will ever capture me like they did when i was younger but ill appreciate their records if they keep that playfulness that made me like them in the first place.

i have to listen to all that fht album, those songs i initially heard just sounded like something the fratellis would do. im sure ill find something i like in that album, then ill forget about it, just like the fratellis albums.

You pretty got the point, buddy.

Earlier I thoight this FHT looks to me like the Mojave experiment. Pretty scary. Because I like Vista :)

myosis
10-10-2008, 12:25 AM
green day are not punk!

D.
10-10-2008, 12:27 AM
i pretty much agree with everything Shapan has said in this thread, save for AI being hit or miss. I liked all of it.

Fattening Ass
10-10-2008, 06:54 AM
man, Warning is fucking awesome. Im excited to see where this album goes.

Spaceboy88
10-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I could give a shit who's producing a Green Day record. Even if Jesus came back to Earth to record a Green Day album it would still suck.

Wake me up when Butch is doing a new Pumpkins record.

DeadOpera
10-10-2008, 01:47 PM
yeah we'll wake you up when an eternity is over.

redbreegull
10-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Wake me up when September ends

aldango
10-10-2008, 02:41 PM
It makes me sad to see Vig's talent going to waste on all these bands that cannot possibly utilize his full ability. Siamese Dream is one of the best produced albums of all time because of the sheer incredible dynamic of it. There is no better production than on something like Soma, all 60 of those guitar tracks filling it to this massive expansive piece that would be bloated and ridiculous save for the beautiful, quiet sections of the song, and here he is producing Green Day which will require two guitar tracks, drums, bass and vocals.

sometimes it's about what you *don't* put in

redbreegull
10-11-2008, 02:43 PM
sometimes it's about what you *don't* put in

Point taken, but Green Day aren't exactly known for the sparse, beautiful arrangements.

Shapan
10-12-2008, 01:25 AM
do you live in some sort of alternate world where butch vig wasnt a member of one of the least sparse and unoriginal bands in rock

redbreegull
10-12-2008, 02:33 AM
do you live in some sort of alternate world where butch vig wasnt a member of one of the least sparse and unoriginal bands in rock

My comment was in response to aldango. First I implied Vig's talent was going to waste in a band that would really only use him to record three instruments and a vocal on each song and aldango said that sometimes good production is what you DON'T put in, so I said point taken but Green Day isn't exactly known for their sparse arrangements or anything. Mainly my point was just that the genius behind SD is the dynamic of the production with all those tracks and how unusual sounding the album is because of the high level of production. Green Day is just going to double track some guitars. That's the extent of their dynamic. I'm sure it will sound beefy and well produced but blegh, it is a waste of a producer capable of crazy shit.

avsfan7733
10-12-2008, 02:42 AM
Mainly my point was just that the genius behind SD is the dynamic of the production with all those tracks and how unusual sounding the album is because of the high level of production. Green Day is just going to double track some guitars. That's the extent of their dynamic. I'm sure it will sound beefy and well produced but blegh, it is a waste of a producer capable of crazy shit.

granted I'm not a huge nirvana buff so I may be simply talking out of my ass here, but would you say that nervermind is some amazingly dynamic and crazy sounding album? I've never heard much about the production that has signified blowing people away and the singles from that album never really stood out to me.

once again.. i really only barely know what I'm talking about here.

Shapan
10-12-2008, 02:51 AM
its ok hes just ignoring that and pretending like siamese dream was the only thing vig produced

redbreegull
10-12-2008, 02:57 AM
granted I'm not a huge nirvana buff so I may be simply talking out of my ass here, but would you say that nervermind is some amazingly dynamic and crazy sounding album? I've never heard much about the production that has signified blowing people away and the singles from that album never really stood out to me.

once again.. i really only barely know what I'm talking about here.

Nevermind is a good example of why Vig is above working with Green Day. First of all, Nirvana is one of my favorite bands. Nevermind is a great record, I do prefer it over In Utero even though it seems most fans disagree. Nevermind is a great sounding record. It has smoothness and rawness, and a lot of power behind it. It has the Vig trademark sound. But it didn't define the band's sound, it didn't break ground musically (except maybe to be the most hi fi punk record ever), and Vig ultimately didn't get to exert his magic. Cobain and Vig were musically on completely different missions. Cobain wouldn't even use separate tracks for dirty and clean guitars until Vig told him that's how John Lennon did it. Corgan and Vig clicked together because they were both after ridiculous, huge, grandiose dynamicism. Green Day most likely aren't going to be after that sound. So I don't know why they would pick Vig, other than just for the name.

avsfan7733
10-12-2008, 02:59 AM
I think whats so great about BV is the fact that his catalogue of productions vary so heavily from artist to artist. Even things done around the same time, like Gish and nevermind and sonic youth's dirty don't have a similar sound or feel at all. It's not a BV record, its a nirvana or pumpkins or tad album. I just think his greatness comes in his ability to get such great melodys and arrangements out of these guys and help them write killer songs. It'll be fun to see what a BV produced green day album will be like.

redbreegull
10-12-2008, 03:00 AM
its ok hes just ignoring that and pretending like siamese dream was the only thing vig produced

Don't be a dick to me shapan. Green Day is just not the kind of band that will greatly benefit from Vig production because there's not much there for him to do. It will be like that AFI album. I'm sure it will sound nice and thick and all, but he could be making really good bands sound amazing instead of making mediocre bands sound good.

redbreegull
10-12-2008, 03:02 AM
I think whats so great about BV is the fact that his catalogue of productions vary so heavily from artist to artist. Even things done around the same time, like Gish and nevermind and sonic youth's dirty don't have a similar sound or feel at all.

I think the production on Nevermind and Gish is definitely similar enough to tell it's the same producer despite the severely different songwriting.

avsfan7733
10-12-2008, 03:02 AM
I just don't understand how producing for green day is any different than producing for nirvana. You said it yourself, nevermind has smoothness, rawness, and power behind. Thats with 3 guys.

Sounds to me exactly like what green day would want.

avsfan7733
10-12-2008, 03:03 AM
I think the production on Nevermind and Gish is definitely similar enough to tell it's the same producer despite the severely different songwriting.

i'll give ya that one, cause once again I'm just talking out of my ass about nirvana. :rofl:

redbreegull
10-12-2008, 03:12 AM
I just don't understand how producing for green day is any different than producing for nirvana. You said it yourself, nevermind has smoothness, rawness, and power behind. Thats with 3 guys.

Sounds to me exactly like what green day would want.

I was saying that producing for Green Day isn't different than producing for Nirvana.

Shapan
10-12-2008, 03:20 AM
are you upset that butch wasted his talents producing nevermind

avsfan7733
10-12-2008, 03:31 AM
I was saying that producing for Green Day isn't different than producing for Nirvana.

oooooh touche.

I guess then the reason to work for Vig would be to see what he gets out of them. Look at the pumpkins circa 1993. Somehow he was able to get an amazing album out of a split up couple, a coke head, and an "egomaniac." I think he's more about the intangibles than we realize.

wpc33
10-13-2008, 02:34 AM
Hey, maybe Green Day will put out their Vig record and it won't be half bad. Perhaps they have an improved sound and decent songs that need a master's craft to execute. Maybe they will surprise us all...

Nah.

Shallowed
10-13-2008, 02:43 AM
oooooh touche.

I guess then the reason to work for Vig would be to see what he gets out of them. Look at the pumpkins circa 1993. Somehow he was able to get an amazing album out of a split up couple, a coke head, and an "egomaniac." I think he's more about the intangibles than we realize.

No, it was just an egomaniac and a coke head, remember. It's the best type of mixture of people to produce.

noyen
10-13-2008, 09:56 AM
vig uses unicorn dust

myosis
10-21-2008, 09:57 PM
mutron bi-phase

wpc33
10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
He runs everything through it.

Everything.

*squeak*