View Full Version : Because You Are appreciation/depreciation thread

Shallowed
10-05-2008, 09:37 PM
After seeing yet another fan subtly bash Because You Are...

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=141743
How can you like Becasue you are over this????????

...it got me wondering, why do so many speak bad of it compared to the tiny minority that speak praise of it? It's certainly not one of my favourite SP tracks ever but it definitely stands out to me on Judas O.

What are your thoughts on the song?

ToEachesOwn
10-05-2008, 09:43 PM
It has the opposite effect for me. It doesn't stand out on Judas O. It's actually kind of bland. In those Guitar World articles Billy wrote, he stated that every song should have something that stands out and makes it special. I find nothing of that in this song.

Shallowed
10-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Sparrow and Winterlong are tracks that don't stand out to me. But perhaps that is because they both only have voice and acoustic guitar, so it's a little hard for me to keep my attention on it.

???
10-05-2008, 09:46 PM
because it sounds loud and nasty and weird and most people get scared off by the first chord.

its one of sp's coolest, or at least most unique, b-sides imo.

MonteLDS
10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
its defiantly loud and nasty sounding. calling it weird would be a compliment.

this sound reminds me of the 1st decent into some of the machina sound that is a turn off to me

Floppy Nono
10-05-2008, 10:09 PM
it sounds like it was born to be a james bond song. compared to that new jack white/alicia keys tripe, it's gold.

Mablak
10-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I like because you are decently, but I'm not fond of the 'because you are' parts of the song.

Azael
10-05-2008, 10:17 PM
The "BECAUSE YOU ARE" absolutely kills it.
I really like the interlude though, as short as it is.

Slurpee
10-05-2008, 10:31 PM
It's not nearly as bad as the other unreleased tracks on that album.

MonteLDS
10-05-2008, 10:55 PM
It's not nearly as bad as the other unreleased tracks on that album.

please elaborate... because i am wondering if you are talking about Adore or something else

...because if you are talking about Adore then yes. It isn't nearly as bad as those songs that have been released. :rolleyes:

redbreegull
10-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Weakest track on Judas O. Basically suffers from what Zeitgeist does. Uninteresting loud, repetitive, grating, goes nowhere, shitty lyrics.

threetwooneZERO
10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
This track is one of my favourites off Judas O. As soon as I read the thread title, I sang the tune in my head. For some reason that "becausssse you are" just fits IMO.

The song has a very grimy and dirty feel (which I enjoy) especially with billy's fuzzy voice.

My least favourite tracks is Waiting.

unlachs
10-06-2008, 02:04 AM
The "BECAUSE YOU ARE" absolutely kills it.

yup

redbreegull
10-06-2008, 02:21 AM
This track is one of my favourites off Judas O. As soon as I read the thread title, I sang the tune in my head. For some reason that "becausssse you are" just fits IMO.

The song has a very grimy and dirty feel (which I enjoy) especially with billy's fuzzy voice.

My least favourite tracks is Waiting.

Waiting is probably my favorite of all Pumpkins rarities.

Shallowed
10-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Most of the reasons why people don't like it are the same reasons why I like it...

I don't think those things that make people dislike it are bad, I think they're good, it's what makes it stand out to me and what makes me like it.

I suppose now I know what it feels like to be one of those people in a minority of liking a mostly unliked song, like "Come On Let's Go"

redbreegull
10-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Most of the reasons why people don't like it are the same reasons why I like it...

I don't think those things that make people dislike it are bad, I think they're good, it's what makes it stand out to me and what makes me like it.

I suppose now I know what it feels like to be one of those people in a minority of liking a mostly unliked song, like "Come On Let's Go"

Because You Are is boring and rehashed and all, but it is nowhere near the vomit inducing abhorred Come on Let's Go.

Shallowed
10-06-2008, 02:57 AM
How is it rehashed, considering when it was recorded?

Fritter
10-06-2008, 03:01 AM
this sound reminds me of the 1st decent into some of the machina sound that is a turn off to me
Uggh.

I've actually never listened to this. I can never get past the "BECOZ YOU ARE" part.

Did someone saying something about Sparrow? Do you wanna fight? I'll fuck you up.

we will scatter friends like the whistling wind :( :( :(

DaveKShape
10-06-2008, 12:50 PM
that random section of guitar octave stuff towards the end seems really arbitrary and hastily thrown together. it doesn't really serve any purpose other than to fill time to the "BECAUSE YOU ARE" chorus. it just seems like this song stretches one OK idea over way too long.

TAFH
10-06-2008, 02:20 PM
it sucks like billy on jimmy's dick

Kahlo
10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
the tribal drumming at the interlude towards the end of the song is fantastic. Not the worst song on Judas O by a long shot.

Shallowed
10-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Y'all are crazy, 'cept for you and you.

http://forums.netphoria.org/customavatars/avatar11494_6.gif http://forums.netphoria.org/customavatars/avatar9823_1.gif

SlingeroGuitaro
10-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Not the worst song on Judas O by a long shot.

^

yoshinobu's revenge
10-06-2008, 08:01 PM
It's fairly terrible overall, even though there are some really good promising parts. Which shows how poor BC's editing/taste level has become.

killtrocity
10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
i've always liked it least of anything sp related

rolmos
10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
It's actually one of the Judas tracks I listen to the most. I used to hate it, but have come to love it once I looked past the becauseyouares.

Rock On, on the other hand...

EyesOfAJackal
10-07-2008, 12:26 AM
It's actually one of the Judas tracks I listen to the most. I used to hate it, but have come to love it once I looked past the becauseyouares.

Do you find that with a lot of tracks?

I think most of Judas 0 struck me that way the first time, except maybe Aeroplane. STRTJ is a perfect example for me- I didn't really like the harsh, strained voice and simple instrumentation at first, but it has since become one of my favorite Pumpkins songs. Soot and Stars too.

Heck, most Pumpkins albums don't strike me as that great on first listen (Gish did tho), but they always grow on me with time. MACHINA II especially, a lot of Adore...

IWishIWasBlank
10-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I like it because it's grungy. Also, I never got Judas O, so if someone asked me I'd say it was from the Adore Demos II.

Hypocaust
10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Do you find that with a lot of tracks?

I think most of Judas 0 struck me that way the first time, except maybe Aeroplane. STRTJ is a perfect example for me- I didn't really like the harsh, strained voice and simple instrumentation at first, but it has since become one of my favorite Pumpkins songs.

I didn't get this post at all until I wrapped my head around the fact that Judas O may have been the first time some people had heard these songs. How odd.

T&T
10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
i love the guitar tone.
worth an entire song to explore.
similar vibes to TEITBITE (minus the riffing, and that's a good thing)
\i like the clanging guitar sound.

the song is about it self
because you are
it needs to be repeated to be conveyed completely.

My Blue Heaven
10-09-2008, 08:49 AM
i always hated the part where he's like "i chew the rust off my face" or something.

Shallowed
08-10-2014, 09:56 PM
bump

Ram27
08-10-2014, 10:15 PM
please elaborate... because i am wondering if you are talking about Adore or something else

____

Song makes absolutely no attempt to be listenable.

Elphenor
08-10-2014, 10:23 PM

God this is a painful few sentences to read.

Elphenor
08-10-2014, 10:24 PM
I think it's a pretty cool song, but I rarely listen to it

AveryLoren
08-10-2014, 10:33 PM
I enjoy the song mostly because of the drums and guitar. The vocals are pretty cool, but the repetitiveness does begin to be droning after a few minutes.

slunken
08-10-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm starting to appreciate the guitar work

herzogxyu
08-11-2014, 12:13 AM
The song is grating. The horrible repetitive because you are is the worst. The lyrics are crap. It's a song about nothing. The guitar sound is good and the chorus should have been lifted and put into a better song.
That said; Snail is a fantastic song. Its use at the end of Bad Words was great. I watched the whole credits just to hear it.
In conclusion: Because You Are = shit.
Snail= the winner!

chucklescrotum
08-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Sparrow and Winterlong are tracks that don't stand out to me. But perhaps that is because they both only have voice and acoustic guitar, so it's a little hard for me to keep my attention on it.

your attention span is the size of a single sperm.

aeroplume
08-11-2014, 12:15 PM
i always loved this song. dont see the hate for it. to each his own

bye june
08-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Man you guys are picky. It's too repetitive? Come on. You guys must not like that much weird music.

bye june
08-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Gimmie "Because You Are" over "Let Me Give the World to You" any day.

davin
08-11-2014, 02:29 PM
BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE

this.

Crying Mercury
08-11-2014, 04:02 PM
This fucking song is AMAZING. I dunno why people hate it so much, it really is a great track to rock out to. :)

null123
08-11-2014, 04:50 PM
I like Because You Are, it has a cool atmosphere. I'm a sucker for the production on those kinds of songs.

Shallowed
08-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Because You Are > LMGTWTY

aztec litany service
08-13-2014, 04:45 AM
noisy, more than it needs to be...repetitive, way more than it needs to be...threatens to become cooler after the drum break, but goes back into repeating the title a lot. definitely b-side material. nothing spectacular. not total crap. it's ok.

Trotskilicious
08-13-2014, 04:50 AM
hey aren't you the guy who thinks stone temple pilots are a legit band

Trotskilicious
08-13-2014, 04:51 AM

it's not very weird if you've listened to other bands besides SP every day all day, buttfucker.

houseofglass11
08-13-2014, 04:56 AM
The song reminds me of something off of the Cure's Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me

zbeast78
08-13-2014, 11:11 AM
it's not very weird if you've listened to other bands besides SP every day all day, buttfucker.

he's on the payroll tho, so he has to stick to the company line that all new music/ artists since 1998 are rubbish.