View Full Version : John McCain pulls campaign from Michigan

sppunk
10-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I guess they taught him retreat in Hanoi.

Tchocky
10-03-2008, 12:57 AM
My guess is he's just hoping that Obama pulls his campaign from MI too. MI is by no means a lock for Obama. Detroit's influence will probably keep MI blue, but it won't be by much. Detroit's rapidly waning population coupled with an ineffective Democrat governor means there's a real chance that MI will become a red state in 2012 and beyond.

Cup O Mercury
10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I say let it be. Let this recessive state choose the party of it’s demise.

dudehitscar
10-04-2008, 08:25 PM
My guess is he's just hoping that Obama pulls his campaign from MI too. MI is by no means a lock for Obama. Detroit's influence will probably keep MI blue, but it won't be by much. Detroit's rapidly waning population coupled with an ineffective Democrat governor means there's a real chance that MI will become a red state in 2012 and beyond.

:rofl:..

Tchocky
10-04-2008, 11:07 PM
:rofl:..

Laugh all you want. The only thing keeping Michigan a blue state is Wayne County, and its population is shrinking. The fastest-growing city in MI is Grand Rapids, which is predominately Republican. If you actually think Obama will win big in Michigan in this election, you're an idiot. Mark my words, Michigan will be a red state by 2020 at the latest, unless Detroit's auto industry enjoys some sort of improbable renaissance.

duovamp
10-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Be sure to return to this thread in 12 years.

Gish08
10-05-2008, 06:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081005/pl_politico/23115

Mich GOP county chair calls McCain move "complete crock of crap"

Al Ribeiro, until now McCain's Michigan state director, had the unenviable task of sending out an email to Republicans in the state explaining as delicately as possible why they were pulling out.

"With 30 days before the election, the campaign must decide where it can best utilize its limited resources with the goal of winning nationally and ensuring John McCain is our next President,' Ribiero explained in an message Saturday, adding that McCain hadn't given up on the state and urging activists to keep working.

One county chair wasn't buying -- and he let Ribiero and a large list of other Michigan Republicans know in a scalding email reply.

"If you are going to end visits to the state by McCain/ Palin, do it," urged Jack Waldvogel, Chairman of the Emmet County GOP in a message obtained by Politico. "Just don't formally announce that you are 'pulling out' of Michigan, and then come back two days later asking the base core of support to 'keep working.' What a slap in the face to all the thousands of people who have been energized by the addition of Sarah Palin to the ticket. I've been involved in County Party politics and organization for 40 years, and this is the biggest dumbass stunt I have ever seen."

Waldvogel added later in the message: "He has given up on our State? What a total and complete crock of crap. Again, I think McCain owes the Republicans and the People of Michigan a HUGE APOLOGY. SOON!"

Having to pick and choose which states to compete in is always difficult and bound to leave bruised local feelings, but Michigan is used to being a target state and McCain had lavished attention there since wrapping up the nomination. And Palin's public second-guessing of the move in the days since the decision was made has only angered Michiganders more.

"How on earth are we to get people to work for McCain here, when he has already, publicly, in the media, given up on Michigan?" wondered Waldvogel. "We feel abandoned, we are disappointed, and we are heartsick to know that we aren't important enough for him to fight for."

He signed off his message: "Yours in Republican? efforts"

This was a dumb move by the McCain campaign. I think MI will end up being closer than PA.