View Full Version : six feet under

celluloid_love
08-28-2008, 04:53 AM
this is my favourite television ever, would be my favourite movie if it was a movie

i'm watching the series for the third time at the moment. i love the shit out of it but sometimes i feel like a total pussy because it affects me so much

waddyu think

Mo
08-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Yeah, same here.

pale blue eyes
08-28-2008, 06:44 AM
It's one of my favorites, too. I love how the intros always set the tone for the whole episode to follow (whether sort of funny or really depressing) and I don't think I have ever become so invested in a group of characters (save Mulder and Scully :erm: ). Oh man did I cry like a little bitch at that closing montage in the last episode though. I was on the verge for a while but when Nate appears running in her rearview mirror when she is driving away? Holy shit, it was like somebody punched me in the ovaries.

jm9843
08-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Maybe the best television ever. Here's to hoping that HBO gets with the program and releases the series on Blu-ray.

ravenguy2000
08-28-2008, 07:23 AM
I've watched it through season 2. I told my sister "I love it but holy shit it depresses the fuck out me." And then she said "Uh...season 2? Yeah, you probably are going to have a hard time with the rest of it."

haha

Eulogy
08-28-2008, 08:03 AM
I've watched it through season 2. I told my sister "I love it but holy shit it depresses the fuck out me." And then she said "Uh...season 2? Yeah, you probably are going to have a hard time with the rest of it."

haha

ooh, yeah, you are.

so completely worth it though. seriously. finish it. right now.

wHATcOLOR
08-28-2008, 08:04 AM
im with ya

ravenguy2000
08-28-2008, 08:25 AM
ooh, yeah, you are.

so completely worth it though. seriously. finish it. right now.

Yeah, instead I'm working through the 2nd season of Third Rock.

For the second time. :erm:

Elvis The Fat Years
08-28-2008, 08:57 AM
cop rock was better and less depressing.

Caine Walker
08-28-2008, 09:12 AM
cop rock?

wHATcOLOR
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
rock cop

bardy
08-28-2008, 10:09 AM
best TV show ever. The last couple episodes destroyed me :(

Eulogy
08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah, instead I'm working through the 2nd season of Third Rock.

For the second time. :erm:

no no no. really, watch it all. you absolutely have to. it's beyond words.

Debaser
08-28-2008, 11:37 AM
kinda went downhill after season 2. but it was enjoyable overall.

neopryn
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
i'm thinking of watching the series for a fourth time during this semester.

maoi
08-28-2008, 11:50 AM
third rock from the sun was fantastic

ravenguy2000
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
^i was thinking of making a thread

i like to put it on and pretend it's 1996 again. :(

pale blue eyes
08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
third rock from the sun was fantastic

It was. I was surprised it stayed on the air so long with how often they moved it.

Eulogy
08-28-2008, 12:39 PM
kinda went downhill after season 2. but it was enjoyable overall.

seasons 3 and 4 had rough spots. still better than anything else i've seen on TV. and season 5 was pretty much flawless.

(paraphrasing)
HE DID NOT INTEND TO FINANCE YOU WHILE YOU PLAY HOUSE WITH A CRAZY PERSON!

LOOK WHO'S TALKING!

WHY DON'T YOU STOP BEING SUCH A CONTROLLING BITCH AND GIVE ME MY MONEY?!

(raises hand)

I WILL HIT YOU BACK THIS TIME!

--

sigh. priceless.

Caine Walker
08-28-2008, 01:05 PM
baby, you really need to get a hobby.

Debaser
08-28-2008, 01:31 PM
seasons 3 and 4 had rough spots. still better than anything else i've seen on TV. and season 5 was pretty much flawless.

Yeah it's overall a solid, sometimes great, show to me. But I still have a handful of other shows I rank above it in greatness.

yo soy el mejor
08-28-2008, 01:32 PM
baby, you really need to get a hobby.
baby. *giggle*

Shapan
08-28-2008, 03:10 PM
ive never known people that have had opinions about this show. just usually indifference. the only thing i really know about it is that interpol had a song that was on the soundtrack.

maybe ill watch it when school's out a couple of weeks.

pale blue eyes
08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah it's overall a solid, sometimes great, show to me. But I still have a handful of other shows I rank above it in greatness.

Were you one of the people who said The Wire was one of your favorites? I tore through the first season quickly. Pretty good.

D.
08-28-2008, 03:33 PM
i have watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of SFU, but I didn't see anything that would make me want to watch any further. Does it get better?

Caine Walker
08-28-2008, 03:49 PM
it's one of those shows where the acting is so good that you start to get really involved in the characters' lives and general interactions with each other. don't give up just yet, it really is a great show.

Debaser
08-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Were you one of the people who said The Wire was one of your favorites? I tore through the first season quickly. Pretty good.

Yeah, I'm a big pusher of The Wire. It's not just a tv show, it's friggin historical literature.

Eulogy
08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
ive never known people that have had opinions about this show. just usually indifference. the only thing i really know about it is that interpol had a song that was on the soundtrack.

there was an Arcade Fire song (Cold Wind) that was the most fantastically placed song in any TV show ever.

Radiohead's Lucky was good for where it was too. there are others too.

what an awesome fucking show.

Debaser
08-28-2008, 03:57 PM
you excited for SFU's creator's next show, True Blood?

Eulogy
08-28-2008, 04:01 PM
you excited for SFU's creator's next show, True Blood?

yes, but i do not have HBO at school or at home. so...i dunno. my mom said she was thinking about getting HBO just to watch it, and then she could DVR it for me. but i dunno. (i got her hooked on SFU, that's why she's thinking about it.)

Debaser
08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
you can probably just find a torrent to download it when it comes out. you can pretty much find all current shows that way.

Eulogy
08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
you can probably just find a torrent to download it when it comes out. you can pretty much find all current shows that way.

yeah i suppose. i don't enjoy watching stuff on my computer as much as on a tv though. for whatever reason.

also i need an external HD. bleh.

Debaser
08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
downloaded shows i stream to my living room television via my xbox 360 connected to my wifi network. its pretty cool.

ravenguy2000
08-28-2008, 05:16 PM
i keep reading SFU as STFU

bardy
08-28-2008, 06:53 PM
did anyone here watch carnivale? it was an equally awesome but more short-lived series on HBO. Too bad it cost too much to make. :(

neopryn
08-28-2008, 06:53 PM
this sounds gay but i think the show really helps you come to terms with death a little. even for a nihilistic atheist like me it was a little comforting.

and it's really so fucking devastating. spoiler-----> the end of the season 4 premiere, where Nate takes Lisa's remains out into the middle of nowhere and buries her as the sun is rising, and just screams and screams when he's done...fucked up.

neopryn
08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
did anyone here watch carnivale? it was an equally awesome but more short-lived series on HBO. Too bad it cost too much to make. :(
yeah that was fucking brilliant as well. it's really a shame. i wanted to see some nukes and shit, and it sounded like Knoffler or whoever was going to take it in a totally new direction in the following season.

and yeah The Wire is basically flawless as well, though it doesn't really hit me on the same level that Six Feet Under does. Omar is god.

bardy
08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
yeah SFU is a show you can't watch if you are sensitive about death at all. I don't know if it helped me come to terms with death but it numbed me to it somewhat. Like "heeey everybody dies"

but I still don't want to

jm9843
08-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Carnivale is a work of art. It could have been one of the greatest shows of all time had HBO seen it through the six planned seasons. It is still a must watch show at only two seasons and will make you want to murder HBO for canceling it.

True Blood, however, doesn't look too hot...

About Six Feet Under, it definitely has some rough spots but should really be taken as a whole (all six seasons). And when it is, it's top notch shit.

celluloid_love
08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
thre's 5 seasons

wHATcOLOR
08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
six feet under blew my mind. deadwood was highly enjoyable, i get bummed they stopped that after 3. i just picked up the wire's first two seasons based on the strength of recommendations from this board, and im like 4 episodes in and really coudln't give a shit about it :/

neopryn
08-28-2008, 09:22 PM
six feet under blew my mind. deadwood was highly enjoyable, i get bummed they stopped that after 3. i just picked up the wire's first two seasons based on the strength of recommendations from this board, and im like 4 episodes in and really coudln't give a shit about it :/i started that way too. i have nothing better to do so i kept it up and by the 3rd season it had me. that's a big commitment though.

ammy
08-28-2008, 09:22 PM
i have watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of SFU, but I didn't see anything that would make me want to watch any further. Does it get better?

dan and i watched the first episode and were like "ok, yeah, we're returning this" but then i forced myself to watch the next two or three (since there's so much love for it here) and was still not so into it until maybe ep 4 or 5 - at which time dan watched it with me again and now we're loving it. Just started season 2.

wHATcOLOR
10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
i just finished watching the series for my second time, i bought the boxed set about three weeks ago. i feel really happy this series was made, it's just stunning. and devastating. i know a lot of commentary is that it helps people come to terms with death. luckily i haven't really had to deal with any really difficult deaths in recent years, and the impact it's had on me has more to do with actually seeing life as a gift and feeling lucky to be alive. i don't think i could have been more sappy even if i tried, but there it is.

ChristHimself!
10-30-2008, 04:14 AM
i should maybe watch this some time

and the wire

Allycat
10-30-2008, 07:44 AM
spoiler alert

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nnTPGdqJRLs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nnTPGdqJRLs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

God, I've watched this several times and it still makes me want to cry.

Eulogy
10-30-2008, 11:01 AM
i should maybe watch this some time

and the wire

oh god DO IT.

bardy
10-30-2008, 12:29 PM
So you guys might know about my anxiety disorder and general fear of death. So watching this series was pretty stressful for me at some times because it made me contemplate and actually think about death and its effects on the family/friends. I think it actually helped me out some... not that I want to die now, but the series made it so... monotonous?... that it eased the fear a bit. And everything else about the series was awesome and beautiful as well. Man I love it. I tried to get my bf to watch it but he is still a bit sensitive around the subject of death due to a recent one in his family.

Brute Squad
10-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I watched all of Six Feet Under a couple years ago and would recommend it to anyone who has the time required to watch the entire series.

I purchased all of The Wire in August and just started the 5th season. This is the best show that was ever on television. The 3rd season, jesus, that blew me away. I wish I could watch it again for the first time. And the 4th season broke my damn heart so many times. It was like the scene in Crash where the kid jumps in front of the gun to protect his father, but over and over again...

noyen
10-30-2008, 01:02 PM
i did not like the first season of six feet under. totally different vibe with the stupid mock commercials interjected into the story. the rest of it was fine though.

why did it take everyone so long to get into the wire, i don't really get. i guess it was because the sopranos was going strong. as soon as it died, seems as everyone got into the wire.

Eulogy
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
i did not like the first season of six feet under. totally different vibe with the stupid mock commercials interjected into the story. the rest of it was fine though.

do you mean first episode? 'cause they ditched those after the pilot. thank god.

noyen
10-30-2008, 01:24 PM
yeah, meant first episode.

Eulogy
10-30-2008, 01:39 PM
yeah the pilot is a little hit-and-miss. but i watched the first season in like 4 days anyway. and by then i was hooked.

june_soma
10-31-2008, 08:55 AM
I cried SO hard when I watched the last episode. Brilliant show, and I love how it's really about nothing, just life.

reprise85
07-24-2012, 09:59 PM
hey so i just starting watching this show (after I finished Oz), almost done with the first season

the acting is kinda blowing my mind. i thought it'd be hard to see michael c. hall as anyone other than dexter but i am glad to say i was wrong

Eulogy
07-24-2012, 10:05 PM
i think it's about time for me to re-watch the whole thing

Eulogy
07-24-2012, 10:08 PM
i'd be interested to see where i'd place it in relation to mad men and breaking bad.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Order 66
07-24-2012, 10:20 PM
i probably shouldn't say this, because it will totally derail the thread... but i'd say it's definitely better than breaking bad. i've said it before but as great as breaking bad is, it's just a really good show. something like six feet under is an experience (although it stumbles on soap opera tropes along the way). mad men is better, but personally they're tied since six feet hits home so much

i started rewatching it but i had to stop because i felt it was too soon, it didn't seem as fresh. but i did skip around seasons a little and it was interesting seeing how the show evolved, though i don't know if it was intentional or not. the first few seasons seemed, for lack of a better word, 'gimmicky' in that it was like "for tonight's death we have... (insert vaguely interesting character with with mourning relatives" and then it became more and more like an acid trip. funny how its a show about a funeral home but underneath the exterior its pretty much a stoner show

can't wait until some time passes and i can watch it again even though it won't be the same. its uncanny how much i relate to nate its almost catharic sometimes

Eulogy
07-24-2012, 10:21 PM
i thought the later seasons were more gimmicky, actually

Order 66
07-24-2012, 10:30 PM
yeah the consensus on the internet seems to be after the first two or three seasons it sort of lost its groove but i personally didn't see it that way. maybe its because i watched all episodes back to back so quick or something i dont know.

but one thing that did irk me is how they sort of fast forwarded some things in the later seasons. like when brenda met justin theroux's character and they got engaged after knowing eachother for like a day. then claire met lawyer dude for like a day and they're soul mates. ditto with nate and maggie.

thats my only gripe i guess. that and the final revelation about lisa seemed kind of shark jumpy

reprise85
07-24-2012, 10:40 PM
i can already feel that this show is more meaningful than breaking bad, and i find myself forgetting they are actors just because it's so seamless... especially compared to something like Dexter where you really have to suspend disbelief for just so many things

it just seems like the setting is actually possible

Order 66
07-24-2012, 10:51 PM
another thing to look forward to is the humor. its just deadpan and not even really "funny" but you sort of laugh in the back of your head. recurring "jokes" to watch for: conversations about the kitchen table. and "nate was a gassy baby"

reprise85
07-24-2012, 10:53 PM
i just heard that nate was a gassy baby for the first time (i think). i have one more episode in season 13. thanks for the heads up. you're right it's not really "funny" but it's very "humorous"

that thing with billy and the tattoo was pretty nuts, guess i'll dig into the last episode