View Full Version : attn: wally, et al; woodworking advice needed

Thaniel Buckner
08-27-2008, 05:54 PM
i've got two guitar combo amps i'd like to gut the innards of and put into a single unit which would also house a power supply and a single rack preamp. i'd eventually like to cove it with this:

http://www.guitar-parts.com/products/108/Amp-Covering-Orange-Levant-Marshall-Style.htm

my question is what kind of wood should i use to build this if i want to make it last. it going to need to take some abuse. also what would be the best method of sticking all this shit together.

alexthestampede
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
particle board actually is the best material for amp housing because of the way it transfers sound. stick it together with wood screws. theyre named wood screws for a reason! they do the job best

GlasgowKiss
08-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I think its hardwood for the case and MDF or similar for the board that houses the speaker. Well you can make the case out of anything really but i think the board onto which you mount the speaker has to be something to dampen the vibrations and stop the cab noisily shaking itself to bits.

I flirted with the idea of cannibalising my old valve amp too :(

Thaniel Buckner
08-27-2008, 06:09 PM
what happened.

GlasgowKiss
08-27-2008, 06:14 PM
It died while I was researching the build and I started using my amp-sim straight into the PA because I was too poor to get the thing I needed to check the voltages were even across the thing or new valves to swap out or for someone to do it for me. By the time i wasnt poor again I had gotten used to not carrying a valve amp to gigs.

Thaniel Buckner
08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
yeah i think a few big pieces of whatever would suffice as long as it's hard as hell and in single pieces.

Thaniel Buckner
08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
thats a bummer. valve amps are awesome.

i'm gutting a 50w jcm900 and a 50w vavlestate. each powering a 4x12. with their own eq's and gains. this means i get to use the stereo outputs on my ada mp1.

it sounds like a fucking monster.

GlasgowKiss
08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh, so you're only building a rack? Yeah that can be made out of anything, hell turn a milk crate on its side and screw the stuff in place.

tear stained glass
08-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Not that this is relevant for you, BonBon, but I recently made a 6 space rack out of an Ikea Rast bedside table thing and some rack rails from Guitar Center. The total cost was less than $40 for a light use rack that actually feels pretty sturdy.

I also built this effects loop selector pedal (which can double as an a/b box) and prototyped a really simple tremelo effect using a 555 chip and a single discrete bipolar junction transistor. If any of you dudes care, I can post the details.

Thaniel Buckner
08-28-2008, 01:59 AM
where did you learn about all that shit. i'm sure it's really simple, too.

tear stained glass
08-28-2008, 03:25 AM
College, the internet, and messing around.

Ol' Couch Ass
08-28-2008, 03:59 AM
I'm totally going to install some hardwood floors in the house I'm about to buy. I feel that my dabblings on the internet have made me an expert on how to install them. It's going to be awesome.

toyschoketoys
08-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Alright jong

dont screw the panels together use a square block insideto connect them and use a piece of hardwood for the base.

My wem amp has an amazing case i will try and get some pictures up for you

mxzombie
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
If any of you dudes care, I can post the details.please!