View Full Version : My Dog got hit by a truck yesterday

threetwooneZERO
08-23-2008, 07:07 PM
So here it goes, the worst day of my life yesterday.

I just got home from picking my gf up after leaving work around 630. My parents had just left 20 minutes before to go out for their 33rd Anniversary and then see Smokey Robinson. My Mum had left a note asking me to put Sadie out (our Airedale) when I got home. So I called called my parents just to tell them to have a good time, and while I was doing that my gf was putting Sadie outside. (We have a cord that is attached to a stake in the ground that we attach her to) On her way out, trying to hang out to Sadie and close the door, Sadie moved and she let go of her by accident.

My dog has a long history of bolting off from our house. We live out in the county with corn/soy bean fields in our backyard. So we are all not surprised because she has crossed the street without hesitation.

Anyway, I got off the phone and went looking for her. If she runs West, she is usually in the backyards of our neighbours and if she runs East she usually runs directly across the street to the other female Airedale to challenge her. This time she ran West and we went looking for a good 5-8 minutes, she was no where to be found. We looked in the front yards, backyards, across the street everywhere.

So, there is a small apple orchard in the back field 5 houses down, so I thought she went back there. I came back home, told my gf to take my Jeep and drive around to see if she could spot her. I picked up some cheese and went looking for her. Just as I got out of the house, in my backyard....I hear loud SCREAMING and YELPING....and right away I knew it was her.

I ran as fast as I could in my bare feet...she was 5/6 maybe 7 houses down. There was a black Chevy Silverado stopped/slowly moving past her. As soon as I got to her I raised my arms and yelled "WHERE ARE YOU GOING"! They took off.

By this time, all the neighbours were outside and Sadie was yelping trying to get up...there was blood and fur was all over the road. People were stopping and getting out of their cars . This one genius says to me while I'm right next to her "Is this your dog? Looks like she got hit"...I wanted to PUNCH his face in SO HARD.

So by this time my brother in-law's mum was pulling out of her driveway, she gave me her cell phone and a phone book. My gf was just returning in the Jeep and started balling her eyes out as soon as she saw what was going on. She starting saying it was all her fault. She was so upset she couldn't even drive, so I had to back up the Jeep and then put Sadie in the back. A woman says "you should get some towels"......screw towels....I put her in the back and then had my gf in the backseat trying to keep her calm and looking for the 24 hour vet. I sped off.

By that time I have kept my cool, but it wasn't until Sadie was yelping whenever I made a turn when it really hit me. My hands were full of blood, my whole car reeked like iron and my gf was crying her eyes out in the back seat.

I pulled up to the Vet's and opened the hatch, my whole back seat is soaked with blood, Sadie's legs are all mangled. (Up to this time, I didn't really look at the extent of her injuries because there was so much to do) I brought her in the door, right to the back room table. As soon as the Vet saw me carrying her in he said "Oh no, that's not good", so right away I know that's not a good sign.

The basics of what the Vet said was "we will have to amputate her legs and even then she might have complications." So I said "well can you save her" and him seeing me and my gf being young said "she might, but the costs of the surgery would be astounding." So I called my Dad, let him talk to the Vet....finally we decided to put her down.

Both her legs were broken, the bones were protruding out cracked in half blood was all over the floor and table. Not to mention her internal injuries. She was lying with her head between her paws on the counter. The whole time the Vet looked her over I was 2 inches from her face....petting her and looking into her eyes. She was breathing heavy and fast. I couldn't even hear a word the Vet was saying to me. By this time I was crying my eyes out, looking at her petting her head....a gave her one final kiss on her nose.

My gf was sitting outside the whole time, so I brought her in to say goodbye and we both watched as they shaved her front paw and injected her....Halfway through she began to breathe really heavy and then she stopped.

When I got home, I had to calm down to clean the blood stained carpet. I used a whole case of club soda and about 10 towels total. Later today I went back to work on it, cleaning the entire car....where I could dried blood on my windows where she was breathing heavy (blood from licking her wounds).

I have never cried so much in my entire life. My teeth, jaws, eyes and head hurt so much I couldn't go to sleep last night. When I finally got to sleep I had a dream that Sadie jumped into my bed and feel asleep next to me.

So yeah....if you hit a person's dog and you actually see them with 5 other people on the road....just stop. I wasn't mad at the person...I just wanted to know what side of the street she was on.

I loved this dog so much. We had her for almost 5 years to the day. As much as she was a pain in the butt, she had the most personality which made her so unique to any other pet we have had. I'm really going to miss her.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo75/99XJC/sadie2.jpg http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo75/99XJC/sadie3.jpg

Eulogy
08-23-2008, 07:14 PM
:(

i'm sorry

sppunk
08-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Fuck. :(

threetwooneZERO
08-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks Eulogy...and sppunk....I know.

maoi
08-23-2008, 07:24 PM
ugh. my heart sunk reading that

redbull
08-23-2008, 07:26 PM
who is going to make the Sadie's Ghost troll

pale blue eyes
08-23-2008, 07:31 PM
:/

I'm really sorry. I lost my cat last year and know what you mean about crying so hard it hurts. Just try to remember your dog for the pain in the ass you knew and loved, not for all of that at the end.

barden
08-23-2008, 07:33 PM
"This one genius says to me while I'm right next to her "Is this your dog? Looks like she got hit"...I wanted to PUNCH his face in SO HARD."

I shall show no concern. I would like not to ENCOURAGE any AGRESSION.

Although this is a sad story. I'm planning on getting a pup in the next few days...

mayday
08-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm so sorry. You were very brave and strong for her.

threetwooneZERO
08-23-2008, 07:49 PM
"This one genius says to me while I'm right next to her "Is this your dog? Looks like she got hit"...I wanted to PUNCH his face in SO HARD."

I shall show no concern. I would like not to ENCOURAGE any AGRESSION.

Although this is a sad story. I'm planning on getting a pup in the next few days...

What are you looking to get?

I'm so sorry. You were very brave and strong for her.

Thanks.

I've had neighbours I have never met coming by and saying sorry and people calling me. It has really helped.

Geek USA
08-23-2008, 07:59 PM
*hug* i teared up a little after seeing the pictures.

Ol' Couch Ass
08-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Man this is just terrible... sorry bro.

pale_princess
08-24-2008, 12:08 AM
omfg 321zero i'm so sorry! :(
i teared up reading that.

*hug*

Hate the Hater
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
*hugs*

redbreegull
08-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm really sorry man, this is terrible. I love animals and reading that upset me a lot. That guy who drove off deserves to be fucking beat to death with a shovel.

threetwooneZERO
08-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks everyone.

Thanks pale_princess, but 321zero sounds so weird...my name's Steve but I guess it really doesn't mater.

Hugs definitely feel better.

bardy
08-24-2008, 01:46 AM
im so sorry, that is the saddest thing I have heard in a while.

Debaser
08-24-2008, 02:00 AM
god damn

Sarcastic Smile
08-24-2008, 02:06 AM
jesus I'm sorry =( seriously *hugs*

About a month ago I saw a dog get hit.. I have seen things get hit before but nothing this bad.. It was rush hour traffic on a busy street and I was stopped at a light but the other side was moving.. I saw a dog walking on the sidewalk next to my car .. I seen the dog run from my side to the other and I knew it was going to get hit.. it fucking bolted.... the car smashed the dog at about 40 mph.. and the dog slid down the street about 30 feet tumbling around, no control.. going so fast.....and was only stopped because it smashed into the driver side front door of a car pulling out of a parking lot, there was blood all over his door.. the most fucked up thing I have seen.. watching the dogs face from the time it got hit, crazy slow motion but so fast at the same time.... It got up and yelped and cried and the dude who's car it was stopped by got out but the dog scampered off.. Me and him called the cops and ran around looking for it in back yards... we found it and the cops called the owners and they took it to the vet.
The lady that hit it did not stop.. Nobody stopped.. Rush hour traffic and not a single fucking person was concerned .. in fact they were all staring at me like I was nuts for looking for it..I fucking hate people.

Starla
08-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Sorry about your Sadie :(

agenda suicide
08-24-2008, 12:04 PM
jesus I'm sorry =( seriously *hugs*

About a month ago I saw a dog get hit.. I have seen things get hit before but nothing this bad.. It was rush hour traffic on a busy street and I was stopped at a light but the other side was moving.. I saw a dog walking on the sidewalk next to my car .. I seen the dog run from my side to the other and I knew it was going to get hit.. it fucking bolted.... the car smashed the dog at about 40 mph.. and the dog slid down the street about 30 feet tumbling around, no control.. going so fast.....and was only stopped because it smashed into the driver side front door of a car pulling out of a parking lot, there was blood all over his door.. the most fucked up thing I have seen.. watching the dogs face from the time it got hit, crazy slow motion but so fast at the same time.... It got up and yelped and cried and the dude who's car it was stopped by got out but the dog scampered off.. Me and him called the cops and ran around looking for it in back yards... we found it and the cops called the owners and they took it to the vet.
The lady that hit it did not stop.. Nobody stopped.. Rush hour traffic and not a single fucking person was concerned .. in fact they were all staring at me like I was nuts for looking for it..I fucking hate people.

ugh I hate watching animals get hit. I saw a dog get hit by a car in front of me, so I pulled over in the ditch on the side of the road. I didn't know who to call, so I called 911 and was like "uhhh, there's a dog that's been hit. can you tell me who I need to call?" As I was on the phone with this lady, another car hit the dog, it flew under my car, and I screamed so fucking loud. The lady was like "ARE YOU OKAY?? WHAT HAPPENED?" I tried to play it cool but I just started crying like a nut. My friends made fun of me for crying over some random dog. Fuuuck that.

Steve, I'm really sorry about your dog :(

Sarcastic Smile
08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
=( i cant read this anymore

wHATcOLOR
08-24-2008, 02:38 PM
that is super sad man, i am sorry to hear it.

barden
08-24-2008, 03:45 PM
I've found the perfect litter!
Staffie x Lab. Father is lab, and mom is a staffie. I cant think of a better breed combination!
I have to wait till tomorrow night to find out if I get one of the pups though, cause apparently the first person who replied is keen to take all 5 of the little fellas. I told the guy I'd pay extra. And sold him a little personal touch so he thinks of me. My fingers are crossed.

Lucy Sky Diamonds
08-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Awww, poor dog. You did what was best for Sadie, it would have been cruel to amputate her legs. :(