View Full Version : discuss the finer points of sp songs

Pages : [1] 2

???
08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
the little extra bass notes in the "forgotten touch/forbidden thought" part of the TEG chorus

Nothing/everything
08-14-2008, 10:03 AM
the small bits of absolute silence at the beginning or end of each zeitgeist song

waltermcphilp
08-14-2008, 10:05 AM
" i say, i do like that 'rat in a cage' song"

http://www.imagicwonders.com/galleries/folk/candids/images/Monocle%20Man.jpg

aztec litany service
08-14-2008, 10:44 AM
i know, obvious but i'm listening to it atm..
the solo in soma is like, the most painful, emotionally searing solo you can imagine

Caine Walker
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
james' guitar work in Set the Ray to Jerry.

Floppy Nono
08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
james played guitar?

Caine Walker
08-14-2008, 11:09 AM
:think:

i think so...

waltermcphilp
08-14-2008, 11:17 AM
sounds like it.

Set the Ray to Jerry

"Another remnant of a distant Siamese Dream past, 'Set the Ray to Jerry' was first written somewhere during the Gish tour. It's always been a band favorite, and seemingly only the band's, because no one ever mentions it. A sweet, simple song featuring only bass, drums, and some delayed James guitar. One night Flood and I put everything we had on a couple of tapes (about 40 songs) and just drove around Chicago until 3:30 in the morning deciding what was on or off the album. When we listened to 'Set the Ray,' it really moved me, but when I looked over to Flood he just shook his head no. That was the end of 'Set the Ray' on the album, because I trust Flood's opinion so much."

T&T
08-14-2008, 11:25 AM
the last 10 seconds of "eye"
love that distorted beat

1100ww
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
2:28 - 2:44 in WBFTT...the sick guitar work (James?) in the right channel. Adds so much to the song. Have to rewind it several times every time I hear it.

MonteLDS
08-14-2008, 12:44 PM
the start and end of Mayonaise

AndySlash
08-14-2008, 12:59 PM
The first minute or so of G+tGC... fucking sweet drum pattern and kickass bassline anchor a psychedelic guitar freakout. I could listen to this and never get sick of it. The first four minutes of this song are, IMO, one of the best things they've ever done in the studio.

???
08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
The first minute or so of G+tGC... fucking sweet drum pattern and kickass bassline anchor a psychedelic guitar freakout. I could listen to this and never get sick of it. The first four minutes of this song are, IMO, one of the best things they've ever done in the studio.

i've gotta back up any gatgc appreciation that goes around

hnibos
08-14-2008, 01:15 PM
the beginning of hummer still gives me goosebumps

Rockin' Cherub
08-14-2008, 02:30 PM
the little wah-wah-ed guitar melody at the end of bwbw

my favourite part

Rickpat12
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Fucking there's a moment in We Only Come Out at Night. Starting at 2:20-2:23/24. There's a little bleepy thing that is just superb.

Springbridge
08-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Definitely almost all of their songs has a little something extra that's a nice addition, but one thing that I noticed recently is during a live performance of Lily (My One and Only), right after BC says "But there's an officer knocking at my door..." you hear Jimmy hit his high hat four times as if knocking. Pretty cool :)

xyumachine
08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
The fade out/outro section of Beautiful, you can hear Billy's emotions pouring through the lyrical delivery:

don't let your life wrap up around you
don't forget to call, whenever
i'll be here just waiting for you
i'll be under your stars forever
neither here nor there just right beside you
i'll be under the stairs forever
neither here nor there just right beside you

Haven't seen that as much recently.

Rickpat12
08-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Thru the Eyes of Ruby..."My Love for you just can't explain" And then when he says "Why" how it just so forms to the music above it. It's beautiful. And then the outro to that song. "The Night has come, to hold...us...YOUNNNNNNNNGGG" It's magnificent.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the intro to the Speed Kills Single Version. It's so great.

???
08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Definitely almost all of their songs has a little something extra that's a nice addition, but one thing that I noticed recently is during a live performance of Lily (My One and Only), right after BC says "But there's an officer knocking at my door..." you hear Jimmy hit his high hat four times as if knocking. Pretty cool :)

ooh, great choice.

Caine Walker
08-14-2008, 03:25 PM
the last 10 seconds of "eye"
love that distorted beat

while we're talking about Eye...

the floatly synth part during the "turn to the gates of heaven" line sounds like *warm* to me.

::melt::

Loop
08-14-2008, 03:27 PM
The swirly guitar effect at the start of Thru The Eyes Of Ruby

xyumachine
08-14-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm also a HUGE fan of the intro to the Speed Kills Single Version. It's so great.

One my favorites. I just love that bass line and the synths. The lead guitar during the "when i ride/with you tonight" section is amazing.

Ramdust
08-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I always liked the end of Whir, when out of nowhere it changes to minor key. Actually, I like a lot of outros. Ruby, Muzzle, Hummer, Drown (full), Obscured...

SlingeroGuitaro
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
wah wah guitar at the end of tribute to johnny

better than new
08-14-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm not even sure how to describe it but on Mayonaise it always felt as if the "bottom" drops out under the guitars. In fact, I feel that way about most of SD. I would kill to recreate that dreamy destortion on my rig. Also, I think the "I feel free" part of frail and bedazzled is one of my all time favorite SP moments.

slunken
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
the solo in destination unknown has been grabbing my attention lately...

1100ww
08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Thru the Eyes of Ruby..."My Love for you just can't explain" And then when he says "Why" how it just so forms to the music above it. It's beautiful. And then the outro to that song. "The Night has come, to hold...us...YOUNNNNNNNNGGG" It's magnificent.

absolutely. amazing song.

dudehitscar
08-14-2008, 05:53 PM
the little woowoo woo woo woo part in In the arms of sleep. I don't know what makes that sound but it is great.

frugalscotsman
08-14-2008, 09:09 PM
the way the guitars come together on the Fmaj from 3:22 to 3:28 on i of the mourning

CrabbMan
08-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Rocket at like around 2:35, " do you know I couldn't stay. . . . . free" something about how the rhythm seems to change up for a moment, I feel my stomach drop out a bit like I'm in free-fall.

Bodies, when we go from the intro into the song, I feel like I'm getting pulled in. Also in that song, I dig the spoken part, all those d-words, during the second chorus.

???
08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
the little woowoo woo woo woo part in In the arms of sleep. I don't know what makes that sound but it is great.

one of my favourites, i really want to know what makes that sound. its got such a weird, woozy emotional quality to it..

CrabbMan
08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I always liked the end of Whir, when out of nowhere it changes to minor key.

Not fair. Billy already mentioned that part in like 1994.

Rickpat12
08-14-2008, 10:36 PM

one of my favourites, i really want to know what makes that sound. its got such a weird, woozy emotional quality to it..

Yeah I was just listening to it two days ago and was really noticing that part. Very nice! Great touch to the song!

CrabbMan
08-14-2008, 10:51 PM
While we're discussing In the Arms of Sleep, that guitar, that twelve string, it gives me the shivers in the way that song should. Somehow, about a decade ago, I got a weird visual in my head where I see those strings being plucked by a device that's turned by a wooden crank. It has a medieval sound to it, if that makes any sense.

exactlythesame
08-14-2008, 10:58 PM
the beginning of hummer still gives me goosebumps

the end of hummer still gives me goosebumps

the closest to a perfect outro i've ever heard

dudehitscar
08-14-2008, 11:02 PM
the end of hummer still gives me goosebumps

the closest to a perfect outro i've ever heard

hummer is my favorite song of all time and it has a lot to do with that ending.

frugalscotsman
08-14-2008, 11:18 PM
the mandolin bridge in "to sheila"

AndySlash
08-14-2008, 11:39 PM
I think I've said this in a similar thread, but that one bend in the Landslide solo... yeah. Aces.

Shallowed
08-15-2008, 12:24 AM
The first 30 seconds of Soma. Apparently this track had 40 or so guitar tracks, and this part of the song shows it. When I listen to that part, it makes me think of some kind of Fantasia-style imagary, like this:

http://www.novastructura.net/images/flock-00.jpg

or this:

http://www.conservefish.org/site/actionalertimages/school_of_fish.jpg

except that all the birds or fish are tiny little guitars, or something like that... Kinda how you can't really pick out just one guitar sound (except for the main two that start before the other 40 come in) and all of them put together make up the whole sound. But it's such a fragile, tiny little sound...

exactlythesame
08-15-2008, 12:27 AM
i don't think the 40 guitar tracks are all at once, bro, but yeah, soma rocks

tcm
08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
the mandolin bridge in "to sheila"

banjo... and i fully agree.

redbreegull
08-15-2008, 12:52 AM
I always lol at the part in WBFTT when Billy goes "to never DIIIIIIIIEUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH" fading into the background, but I don't think anyone ever hears it because it is pretty ridiculous but is never mentioned.

redbreegull
08-15-2008, 12:53 AM

And also this, seriously, is probably in my top ten SP moments.

frugalscotsman
08-15-2008, 12:58 AM

gracias

tcm
08-15-2008, 01:58 AM
I always lol at the part in WBFTT when Billy goes "to never DIIIIIIIIEUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH" fading into the background, but I don't think anyone ever hears it because it is pretty ridiculous but is never mentioned.

i think the UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH part of that is actually a bit of wacky Iha lead. that's funny though.

redbreegull
08-15-2008, 02:09 AM
i think the UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH part of that is actually a bit of wacky Iha lead. that's funny though.

Haha, I listened back and it could be either. Either way it brings the lol.

Shallowed
08-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Wow, I never noticed that, sure sounds weird.

JRiordan
08-15-2008, 03:25 AM

Yes, when the main drum and guitar parts come crashing in about 10 seconds before the first lyrics ("To the center of the earth"), I think I have played this louder than any other song ever. Part of it has to do with the Machina production, but mostly it's because it is so so f'n awesome that it needs to be that loud. You cannot appreciate it nearly as much at casual volumes.

MissionComplete
08-15-2008, 03:54 AM
The part of Jesus Loves His Babies where Jesus is on Billy's answering machine.

Rickpat12
08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah about Hummer. I just love the way Billy almost whispers..."Doooooooo, you feeeeeel. Loooooooove, is realllll". The way the voice is just beneath the music is to die for. The outro is simply amazing as well.

And all the weird guitars in Porcelina. I swear, I hear a new thing in that song every fucking time I listen to it. It's as if the whole song is like in 3-d and out of nowhere you get a 3 second glimpse at a guitar that is trying to make its way to the center of the picture but it's just waving out in the corner. That atmosphere created is beautiful.

emotionalfriend
08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
this thread is really making want to listen the Pumpkins. i haven't for such a long time.

commando
08-15-2008, 11:32 AM
The final chord strum in luna.... oh and the part when Billy's singing "SO in LOve .." and in between goes falsetto on the "I'M." Best BC vocal ever recorded.

MonteLDS
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
i love the the start of Raindrops + Sunshowers. the sound reminds me of rain.

wHATcOLOR
08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
i love the the start of bullet with butterfly wings. the sound reminds me of bull

wHATcOLOR
08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
i love the the start of cherry. the sound reminds me of che

wHATcOLOR
08-15-2008, 11:49 AM
i love the the start of blue skies bring tears. the sound reminds me of blue sk

wHATcOLOR
08-15-2008, 11:50 AM
i love the the start of muzzle. the sound reminds me of muzz

MonteLDS
08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
o ha ha ha you're just too funny. o please go on tour

areyougaffney?
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Bodies, the start when the f chord remains in throughout is awesome.
The banjo in to Shiela is class
The drumming where Jimmy goes like into like double time at the end of TEG is rocking,
The little vocal oh part on 1979 really adds to the song I think,
The delays going under the whole of cherry are really nice,
The verses of Porcelina where there are like electronic things going on that sound like electronic waves to me, which are very nice.
Geek usa when going into the quiet section where he ebnds the not and it keeps going until it sounds like it explodes and quietens away...amazing.

about a million more...I love this band.

Rickpat12
08-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah about Geek USA...the "She really loves to break" part is fucking amazing. Like right when the song stops...there's like 3 or 4 guitars just getting feedback and the bass brings you back into the song and then a guitar string scratch and then Jimmy's fill, and then BOOM, right back to melting your face. :rockon:

areyougaffney?
08-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah about Geek USA...the "She really loves to break" part is fucking amazing. Like right when the song stops...there's like 3 or 4 guitars just getting feedback and the bass brings you back into the song and then a guitar string scratch and then Jimmy's fill, and then BOOM, right back to melting your face. :rockon:

Yep, you saying that made it pop into my head, yeah awesome. cheers

Playback
08-16-2008, 01:23 AM
For as many times as I've heard "Today" the six or so seconds of rotary guitar effect at 2:28-2:34 (probably a leslie cabinet) is still one of my favorites.

The two seconds of pick scrape at the end of "Rocket" 3:45-3:47 is pretty cool too.

Shallowed
08-16-2008, 01:55 AM
The delays going under the whole of cherry are really nice,
The verses of Porcelina where there are like electronic things going on that sound like electronic waves to me, which are very nice.

*cums*

I think that effect in Porcelina is flange. I love that sound...

Edit: Oops, I'm thinking of Ruby. I realised what effect you mean now. That sound makes me cum even more.

There's a song by a girl band called All Saints called Pure Shores that has the same effect in the chorus I think. It's very naice.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2p2VJWNYZg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2p2VJWNYZg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

paranoid
08-16-2008, 02:52 AM
the vocals during the second and last choruses of to sheila are incredible (the frogs sang some harmony in this part as well)

the ending of shame when a bunch of synths come in to create an ambient atmosphere, then fades out (i usually hate fade outs, but it works great with this tune)

the glokenspiel in beautiful

the keyboard that goes with the snare hit during the verses of by starlight

the suttle snare rolls that sneak in towards the end of superchrist

Fritter
08-16-2008, 04:08 AM
o ha ha ha you're just too funny. o please go on tour

Scathing attack from Monte.

Answer:

UNTIL THE BITTER BITTER END OF THE WORLD YEAHH DOODOO DA DOO DER NA NER NA NER

Shallowed
08-16-2008, 04:31 AM
God sneeze in bliss.

areyougaffney?
08-16-2008, 05:09 AM
*cums*

I think that effect in Porcelina is flange. I love that sound...

Edit: Oops, I'm thinking of Ruby. I realised what effect you mean now. That sound makes me cum even more.

There's a song by a girl band called All Saints called Pure Shores that has the same effect in the chorus I think. It's very naice.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2p2VJWNYZg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2p2VJWNYZg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah, it's from the beach soundtrack. I've always though exactly the same. Porcelina's production to me is as strong as any other song they have done I believe and when I 1st heard this song it reminded me ALOT of porcelina's production. I know the producer was someone who working with Madonna at the time...I wonder if he is a pumpkins fan or if the same sounds are just a coincidence, or they were released within 1-2 years of each other I think so it may be new piece of equipment they both used????any ideas??

Hate the Hater
08-16-2008, 05:20 AM
phaser....nothing revolutionary

aztec litany service
08-16-2008, 07:29 AM
geek, 1:58, never thought about it but i dont know exactly how they did this..the heavy part of the song just floats away up into the clouds, it's just amazing the transition from rawk noize war to like heaven, haha maybe like the song getting killed in combat, going to heaven only to be reincarnated and come back to the shithole we call earth :lol:

Shallowed
08-16-2008, 08:12 AM
That's gotta suck cock harder than a vacuum cleaner.

skipgo
08-16-2008, 01:49 PM
the small bits of absolute silence at the beginning or end of each zeitgeist song

you're my hero :)

skipgo
08-16-2008, 01:49 PM
i think i made a thread like this once.
one of my better threads.

GeekUK
08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
The whistful sounding reverb over the vocals on Behold, The nightmare... floaty...

Cade McNown
08-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Yes, when the main drum and guitar parts come crashing in about 10 seconds before the first lyrics ("To the center of the earth"), I think I have played this louder than any other song ever. Part of it has to do with the Machina production, but mostly it's because it is so so f'n awesome that it needs to be that loud. You cannot appreciate it nearly as much at casual volumes.

Seconded, the beginning of GATGC extremely loud is enveloping.

Also I love the piano in For Martha especially the part starting at 3:55.

One of my favorite moments on SD is the quick little snare that comes in right after Soma to begin Geek.

Luke de Spa
08-17-2008, 01:05 AM
i like that bit in that one song and it's like dunna dunna DUNNANUHDUNN!!!! dunna dunna DUNNANUHDUNN!!! PAP!PAP! BEEEEOOORNNNABEEEEORN freak out!!! gibbons

exactlythesame
08-17-2008, 01:10 AM
i think i made a thread like this once.
one of my better threads.

remember your roots

avsfan7733
08-17-2008, 01:16 AM
where's vince

avsfan7733
08-17-2008, 01:40 AM
does the cover of stay from the bridge school showcount?
Oh my god the whole rendition of the song is amazing.

IWishIWasBlank
08-19-2008, 08:36 AM
where's vince

YOU FUCKER WHERE ARE YOU!?!?

I like French Movie Theme lately. Makes me want to listen to a few more of the old instrumentals. He hasn't done an instrumental track since the intro to Mellon Collie... or if you really want to count it... 17 on Adore.

i love the the start of muzzle. the sound reminds me of muzz

Muzzle has a great intro. I think it's more "anthem rock" than anything of Siamese.

aztec litany service
08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
BEEEEOOORNNNABEEEEORNthis made me think of the beginning of the starla solo.

He hasn't done an instrumental track since the intro to Mellon Collie... le deux machina (which i like btw)
and pale scales, wherever he's hiding it.

IWishIWasBlank
08-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Oh yeah, and I was just listening to MII the other day in the car.

Well, it's more creepy than ethereal. I was kind of looking for trippy or ethereal really.

Ramdust
08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
All of the subtle harmonies on Adore.

???
08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
the little camera-shutter "chk chk ch-chk" before the 1st verse of waiting. genius

???
08-19-2008, 01:12 PM

i actually really love this song.

waltermcphilp
08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
ARF ARF

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4555/icondoghm9.gif

Caine Walker
08-19-2008, 01:30 PM
where's vince

YOU FUCKER WHERE ARE YOU!?!?

Glopaiswe
08-19-2008, 02:48 PM
The "please don't change" part in Pug is brilliant. Well, the whole song, really, but especially that part.

sweetanthony
08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
The chorus of the Tale of Dusty & Pistol Pete- "... Let the waste cross the ancient trails to you,
far out beneath the sorrow clouds, let them taste the bitter lost mistake of you... let them cry out through your rusted scars..."

Floating on air with that shit!

Another that give me a similar feeling: The change/outro of The Last Song, "... could you find your way across me?"- part. With BC Sr.'s lead guitar lines. Just a very special song.

wHATcOLOR
08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
i love the the start of to forgive. the sound reminds me of to f

Shallowed
08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
SOMA!
http://www.novastructura.net/images/flock-00.jpg

FLOCKS OF BIRDS!

http://www.conservefish.org/site/actionalertimages/school_of_fish.jpg

SCHOOLS OF FISH!

MILLIONS AND BIZILLIONS OF TINY GUITARS!

stumpycat
08-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Thru the Eyes of Ruby is just epic, and every section is incredible in its own way. The use of flanger, chorus, wah, phaser, reverb, and whatever the hell else Bill threw in there could potentially sound like one gratuitous clusterfuck of effects...but no, it sounds utterly seemless. I especially love the parts that sound like floating through water/air/dreamspace. Never has the feeling been more accurately portrayed in music. Then some of the creamy warbly sound carries into the leads over the thick wall of epic buzzsaw guitar.

Also, roughly 8:20 to 9:00 in Why Am I So Tired has this awesome Jimmy drum shuffle with prominent hi-hat.

stumpycat
08-20-2008, 02:14 AM
Oh yeah, 3:12-3:26 in the "Fruit Bat Salad" live 1992 recording of Frail and Bedazzled is so fucking badass. They should have totally kept this arrangement for the studio version of the song!!

avsfan7733
08-20-2008, 02:49 AM
"atom bomb on the shelf, unsung"

may everyone findddddd a way to get oooooooooooooooon *guitar solo*

"I dont want to live on charity, pleasures real or is it fantasy?"

the intro guitar part of blew away
the monstrous snare fills in again,again,again
I love the ascending octaves during the chorus of jellybelly too

My Blue Heaven
08-20-2008, 04:24 AM
acoustic breakdown in behold! the night mare.

T&T
08-20-2008, 04:30 AM
acoustic breakdown in behold! the night mare.
4 part vocal harmonies! :banging:

and the feedback squeal when it kicks in again. :banging::banging::banging:

Shallowed
08-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Sure, that part rips, but does it have a

MILLION BILLION GAZILLION BIZILLION....

ZILLION....

TRILLION..

BIZILLYBILLYGAZILLYBAZILLYZILLION TINY GUITARS!!!

?

I ask you.

Playback
08-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Thru the Eyes of Ruby is just epic, and every section is incredible in its own way. <snip> I especially love the parts that sound like floating through water/air/dreamspace. Never has the feeling been more accurately portrayed in music.

I guess you haven't heard "The Beautiful Blue Danube" waltz, Johann Strauss II. The music was prominently featured in 2001: A Space Odyssey.(1968)

The Vangelis "Blade Runner" soundtrack isn't too bad at portraying space either.

wHATcOLOR
08-21-2008, 12:44 AM
i love the the start of pennies. the sound reminds me of pen

tsp gatmog
08-21-2008, 01:04 AM
first five seconds of pissant
sounds like a nuclear bomb went off over the drums

Luke de Spa
08-21-2008, 05:01 AM
I especially love the parts that sound like floating through water/air/dreamspace. Never has the feeling been more accurately portrayed in music.
yeah, i mean, there are a few excellent documentaries about dreamspace but it's just too hard to squeeze a microphone in there. thank you bill for accurately recreating the sound of the place

wHATcOLOR
08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
i love the the start of thru the eyes of ruby. the sound reminds me of thru the eyes of ru

Fathoms (unadored)
08-21-2008, 05:55 PM
the part in farewell and goodnight that makes you feel that all is right with the world and that no bad dreams or bad experiences will ever touch you again... ie: the whole song.

stumpycat
08-22-2008, 01:42 AM
I guess you haven't heard "The Beautiful Blue Danube" waltz, Johann Strauss II. The music was prominently featured in 2001: A Space Odyssey.(1968)

The Vangelis "Blade Runner" soundtrack isn't too bad at portraying space either.
Yes, I've heard all this orchestral stuff. As much as it may represent the paradigm of proper and well-composed music, it's just not really my thing. I best relate to the instrumentation of rock and more experimental electronic music, which seems to resonate with me personally moreso than these sort of compositions and arrangements. It's perhaps heretical to say that, but that's just my personal preference.

yeah, i mean, there are a few excellent documentaries about dreamspace but it's just too hard to squeeze a microphone in there. thank you bill for accurately recreating the sound of the place
Ha-ha. It's obviously subjective dude! This is what my dreamspace sounds like. These are the sort of visuals I get when I listen to it. Yours may have a specific sound-feel, too.

SlingeroGuitaro
08-22-2008, 01:53 AM
vocal harmony in pennies is nice

the weird chanting in quiet is nice

the tambourine in today is nice

the fapping in porcelina is nice

Zorgon
08-26-2008, 02:20 AM
the solo in destination unknown has been grabbing my attention lately...

yes yes yes this x a million. I've spent years wondering how they did that.

And since we're talking BWBW single songs here.. the very end of Dreaming when the bass comes back in and then the song cuts cuts out like 2 bars later. You can imagine the band just jamming that out for a while in the studio :)

hoboj0e
08-26-2008, 03:43 AM
James' solo at the end of Soma, and then the "So let the sadness come again" lyric. Fantastic piece of their best song ever.

killtrocity
08-26-2008, 12:52 PM
the end of by starlight when de arcy's vocals come in with the little solo

somaziro
08-26-2008, 12:57 PM
James' solo at the end of Soma, and then the "So let the sadness come again" lyric. Fantastic piece of their best song ever.

James' solo???

hoboj0e
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
He plays it live, I guess it is Billy in the studio. But if you watch them closely at old live recordings you can see Billy and James switch playing solos at that exact moment, as Billy needs to sing the next part (hard playing solos while singing).

avsfan7733
08-26-2008, 02:47 PM
wait who is james

hoboj0e
08-26-2008, 02:49 PM
He is the lead singer of Metallica

wHATcOLOR
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
i love the the start of quiet. the sound reminds me of qui

tcm
08-26-2008, 03:11 PM
i love the the start of window paine. the sound reminds me of wind

Shallowed
08-27-2008, 05:15 AM
i love the the start of quiet. the sound reminds me of qui

Oh yeah, that's a kick-ass little intro/effect there.

I like the eep-eep-eep-eep effect of the guitars on Cherry.

Is that delay combined with constantly switching the guitar on and off, like on "Know Your Enemy"?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0y-7fl1nJfw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0y-7fl1nJfw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cool As Ice Cream
08-27-2008, 07:02 AM
i love the start of methusela. the sound reminds me of meth.
i love the start of rubberman. the sound reminds me of rubber.
i love the start of spaceboy. the sound reminds me of space.
i love the start of silverfuck. the sound reminds me of silver.
i love the start of la dolly vita. the sound reminds me of la do.

tcm
08-27-2008, 11:05 AM
you're reaching.

Cool As Ice Cream
08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.blamonet.com/images/item/bananahuge.gif

wHATcOLOR
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
the
the
the
the
the

tcm
08-27-2008, 03:14 PM
the end is the beginning is the end and the beginning is the end is the beginning tie for most the's in a the smashing pumpkins song title, with the ethers tragic at a close second.

isn't that interesting?

suncrashesdown
08-27-2008, 04:18 PM
The part where the Ebows come in before the second verse of Drown is kickkkkkkassssssss

Runsaber
08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
and SHOULD I fall from GRACE

the last one. you know.

Spira|_
08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
For me the intro of 'Cupid De Locke' is the most magic thing SP did... I just imagine an awesome lightly carroussel spinning around in a fantasy world!
It is the purity. ^^
lol, real

"One last kiss for me and..." - so deep, good and bad...
"Love is suicide... love isssssssss" - hard but true and pretty emotional
"Lets go for a ride, (...), babeeeeeeee" - I use to say it often ^^

JokeyLoki
08-29-2008, 12:37 AM
http://www.blamonet.com/images/item/bananahuge.gif

^

zPolishBloodz
08-29-2008, 02:58 AM
The overall melody of Galapogos.

Ol' Couch Ass
08-29-2008, 03:41 AM
I like that one song where it's all soft and pretty and Billy is singing all quietly over it and then it kicks in with some "KEEEERANG WHHOOOSH BIGA BIGGA WHHHHAM" and he starts yelling over it. Man gets me every time.

terrence
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
The end solo of mashed potatoes hello kitty about 5:15 onwards defines the pumpkins sound for me. Billy and Jimmy just kind of mesh together and read each other so well.

mxzombie
08-30-2008, 08:15 PM
the fade in to slow dawn

ToEachesOwn
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Billy's vocals on the first chorus of I Am One Part II...

"and we'd say what we'd say / and we'd do as we please / and we'd break every rule / on our knees"

Actually I love that whole song, but that part I really dig.

slunken
08-31-2008, 06:41 PM
siamese dream (the song) gets no love ever. Its in my top 5.

stumpycat
08-31-2008, 11:45 PM
siamese dream (the song) gets no love ever. Its in my top 5.

What's it do for you? No, really. :think:
That song sounds very wild, loud, and noisy. I imagine it's grating for some.

"and we'd say what we'd say / and we'd do as we please / and we'd break every rule / on our knees"

Actually I love that whole song, but that part I really dig.
I agree with this. The first recording of this song I had was just on an old tape of relatively poor sound quality, so the whole song had an added element of eeriness to it.

slunken
08-31-2008, 11:54 PM
the lyrics are amazing - "coming down from my siamese dream" & "motherfuckers try to crack your crown, chew you up and spit you out" pretty much, to me, sums up the S.D. experience.

that and the actual instrumental track is completely nutso. most of it is slowed down did you know? love the boggy guitar tone and those high pitched squeeling parts. the shaker percussion, the handclaps, oohs and aaaahs in the background etc. sounds like coming off an LSD trip

tcm
09-01-2008, 12:00 AM
should've been on the album... i agree.

stumpycat
09-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I guess I could see where the song would really work as a bizarre closer (ala "I'm Going Crazy") if appended at the back end of Luna.

that and the actual instrumental track is completely nutso. most of it is slowed down did you know? love the boggy guitar tone and those high pitched squeeling parts. the shaker percussion, the handclaps, oohs and aaaahs in the background etc. sounds like coming off an LSD trip
Yep, it's wild as fuck. I figured it was just one of Billy's LSD songs. Like Where's Vince, Spaced, Honeyspider II, Pulseczar, etc.

Sonic Johnny
09-01-2008, 12:25 AM
the second half of the guitar solo in Cherub Rock... after the vocals take over again... is just as good, if not better than the first half.

The organ solo in the Moon Demo version of Rhinoceros

The little vocoder flourishes under the guitars in 1979

The pre-reverbed vocals that kinda rush up to the surface to meet Billys voice on the last time through "bang bang you're dead..."

Jimmys fills at 0:07 and 1:00 on the good version of Cash Car Star

dudehitscar
09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
The pre-reverbed vocals that kinda rush up to the surface to meet Billys voice on the last time through "bang bang you're dead..."

^

i_adore_adore
09-01-2008, 08:26 PM
The little vocoder flourishes under the guitars in 1979

Yes.

The little mouth sound after "misspent youth" in Stumbeline. I've mentioned this a few times, I think, and usually people think I'm stupid for noticing, but it's always been one of my favorite parts of that song. It makes me think he's in his basement all alone with an acoustic guitar, and it makes me forget for a minute that "XYU" is coming next and he's actually a huge freaking rock star.

Yes, that's all what that little mouth sound makes me feel.

dudehitscar
09-01-2008, 10:25 PM
speaking of xyu the vocal performance is great for nuances.

Particular favorite is "bye bye BABY GOODBYE! bye bye" I love the way the last bye is so quiet and distant.

Zorgon
09-01-2008, 11:00 PM
The solo at the end of The last Song.

"The diamond claws of death" line in Rotten Apples.

And like all of Medellia of the Gray Skies.

waltermcphilp
09-02-2008, 12:33 AM

i thought this was on the RSPAA but i can't seem to find it. am i on crack or something?

tcm
09-02-2008, 12:42 AM
i thought this was on the RSPAA but i can't seem to find it. am i on crack or something?

http://www.rspaa.org/rspaa/Demos/Reel%20Time%20Studios/RTS2%20Fall%201989%20(Acoustic%20Session)/

waltermcphilp
09-02-2008, 12:45 AM
so its not the crack. okay, good.

slunken
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM

"the aeroplane flies high; tarantula looks right"

wHATcOLOR
09-02-2008, 10:19 PM
The solo at the end of The last Song.

And like all of Medellia of the Gray Skies.

i always thought it was darkened claws

Zorgon
09-04-2008, 07:04 PM
i always thought it was darkened claws

Well I guess that explains why I was so intrigued by the delivery of that word :erm:

avsfan7733
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
speaking of rotten apples, when the 2nd layer of vocals come in its really awesome

shannon
09-04-2008, 07:53 PM
this thread almost made me cry thinking about the old school pumpkins and how much i miss them

zPolishBloodz
09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
this thread almost made me cry thinking about the old school pumpkins and how much i miss them

Grow a pair.

ToEachesOwn
09-05-2008, 12:22 AM
speaking of rotten apples, when the 2nd layer of vocals come in its really awesome

I know there's a million people that love Rotten Apples, but I've never been a fan of that song. I dislike Billy's ascending vocals and at times it sounds like he's out of breath at the end of each verse as his voice cracks. I do enjoy the "When will I see her again?" and "She'll never listen again" verses... I just wish the vocals weren't so rough.

tcm
09-05-2008, 12:23 AM
but that's the beauty of it you fool, damn.

ToEachesOwn
09-05-2008, 12:32 AM
but that's the beauty of it you fool, damn.

Eh, I guess I just don't get. A song like Jupiter's Lamet seems rough, but the vocals fit. I just wish that the vocals were more subtle on Rotten Apples.

tcm
09-05-2008, 12:43 AM
ok. i'm sorry i was short with you.

Sonic Johnny
09-05-2008, 12:44 AM
ooh ooh, i just remembered one!

the start of annie-dog before the drums come in, the barely audible little notes played with brushes on the hi-hats in between the piano notes.

slunken
09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
i love the part during meladori magpie when he sings "do you remember when we first met/chasing down the alleyways" and then the multitracked vocals come in like a chorus and sing "BEHIND MY DAD'S"

i think that's the one line that really makes me feel like a little kid again :(

wHATcOLOR
09-09-2008, 09:26 PM
i love the the start of the aeroplane flies high (turns left, looks right). the sound reminds me of th

Ram27
01-02-2015, 12:19 AM
it really moved me, but when I looked over to Flood he just shook his head no. That was the end of 'Set the Ray' on the album, because I trust Flood's opinion so much."

Fuck, Billy needs someone like this to produce again

Even if there needs to be another TAFH to do the era justice

houseofglass11
01-02-2015, 01:05 AM
Flood fucked up there. STRTJ should have been on the album.

Elphenor
01-02-2015, 01:10 AM
^^

For once I agree with you. One of the best Pumpkins tracks and it should have replaced Take me Down which is just a complete waste of a slot

houseofglass11
01-02-2015, 01:23 AM
Ha. I like 'Take Me Down' alright because I like James but it was really only b-side worthy. I once read an article (can't remember where) with Ed O'Brien from Radiohead where he was critical of Billy for not having the courage to put the best songs on Mellon Collie after he heard the stuff on TAFH.

As much as I like 'Tales of a Scorched Earth' I still think 'The Boy' would have been a great follow up to '1979' on the album. Much better song from James than 'Take Me Down'.

Ram27
01-02-2015, 01:37 AM
^I like how they have the same drum part but Jimmy uses a piccolo snare for the beginning. I think it's the only time he did that besides...Today live 94

Take Me Down was the easily the worst James song of the era

...Said Sadly is sweet and underappreciated

Elphenor
Take Me Down would be an okay B-side. The Boy would for sure be more worthy of a spot than the James song that made it on there.

Elphenor
I really like Said Sadly

killtrocity
01-02-2015, 02:01 AM
http://thumbpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Gooby-wants-milk-630x748.png

Grox
01-02-2015, 02:22 AM
i still don't get why so many people LOVE set the ray to jerry, like a top fiver of all SP songs...it's so sparse and bare, not in a good way. the vocal take is super rough and dry and the melody isn't all that interesting, lyrics are OK, guitar work is pretty standard, what gives???

Elphenor
01-02-2015, 02:30 AM
Might have the best rhythm section of any SP song, cool grumbling bass and Jimmy's drumming is particularly fantastic on it

Ram27
01-02-2015, 02:31 AM
It is sparse and bare in a good way

Actually, no, it isn't even sparse and bare

James' reverb guitar and the purring bass and Jimmy fill up the space beautifully

'Suck you' tsssh

killtrocity
01-02-2015, 02:55 AM
the oh oh ohs in widow wake my mind

Shallowed
01-02-2015, 03:49 AM
it's a subtle embellishment

Lt_Beans_McGood
01-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Billy wasted lots of studio time making audio recordings of silent penises, bringing in actors, rent boys, street urchins and even members of the pumpkins fan club. That x factor you hear on siamese dream and mellon collie is the sound of like 30 dicks just silently surrounding you, random dude dicks.

dodoz
01-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Too many to mention!

It might have been mentioned before (haven't read the whole thing), the outro of "Starla". Typical, vintage, soft Pumpkins sound. It could belong in a time capsule. I used to turn my stereo way up to hear that part.I used to play it on a local radio station and turned that part way up too, on the board, and played it until the very end.

The strings in "Daydream" and in "Disarm"still make me emotional. Beautiful arrangement.

The synth in "Try, Try, Try"..."The Aeroplane Flies High" intro and outro...etc

SlingeroGuitaro
01-02-2015, 10:00 AM
the boy is a good song but it doesn't add anything to the album. it is just another pop song, and very similar to 1979. Take me down may not be as strong of a song, but it adds to the overall depth of MCIS.

Elphenor
01-02-2015, 10:00 AM
It adds a shitty song

Elphenor
01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Album was THIS close to being absolutely flawless

Funbags
01-02-2015, 10:14 AM
As much as I like 'Tales of a Scorched Earth' I still think 'The Boy' would have been a great follow up to '1979' on the album. Much better song from James than 'Take Me Down'.

Oh man...The Boy would have been a perfect match for 1979.

dreams of glass
01-02-2015, 04:55 PM
In Stand Inside Your Love, the way he sings

i'll wrap my wire around your heart
and your mind
you're mine forever now

and especially the word forrreeeeveerr

just gives me chills, it's just so dark and almost creepy.

The whole song is about how in love he is with this person, but that line
really depicts the dark side of love, the grasping need to possess someone, and keep them.

Grox
01-02-2015, 05:47 PM
putting Iha songs anywhere but the end of both discs would've compromised the vision of the record, which is really a Gen X Ulysses: a song for every mood swing throughout the day. James' songs are slight and 100% not of a piece with BC's exorcisms. The Boy is definitely his best song, but Take Me Down is the only one that fits in with the sequencing.

Ram27
01-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Jimmy's drums on the beginning of That's the Way

Each snare hit is also buzzed afterwards. I don't even know how he does it, I can't get such a sharp hit then such a smooth buzz

He also does that on Siva

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iox8LUeNRM4

You can't hear it at all on the record though

slunken
01-02-2015, 07:43 PM
i like when bily does the singeing

Rairun
01-02-2015, 07:47 PM
The way the very last "we wont make it home" in Age of Innocence is higher pitched and wistful.

The last "and should I fall from grace" in Galapogos gives me chills every time.

Mals Marola
01-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Oh man...The Boy would have been a perfect match for 1979.

yet instead he chose the perfect foil
what a tragedy :rolleyes:

Trotskilicious
01-02-2015, 10:49 PM
i still don't get why so many people LOVE set the ray to jerry, like a top fiver of all SP songs...it's so sparse and bare, not in a good way. the vocal take is super rough and dry and the melody isn't all that interesting, lyrics are OK, guitar work is pretty standard, what gives???

one of the most shoegazy songs they've done & it sounds like nothing else

slunken
01-02-2015, 11:02 PM
i was listening yesterday to the live version of daphne desceneds from the box set and d'arcy is singing back up for most of the song and its so breathy and barely there but really amazing the way it keeps crackling through the mix.

slunken
01-02-2015, 11:06 PM
the more i hear it the more i think the song "shame" is about courtney.

it easily coincides with billy working with love on celebrity skin idk.

slunken
01-02-2015, 11:09 PM
wouldn't be surprised if it ws the reason for him to stop drinking too.

as far as the song it could easily be about yelena as well because if the machina mystery is true it turns out she has her own set of growing substance problems

but if i had to wager i'd gamble on c.love

Mals Marola
01-03-2015, 12:16 AM
it made sense when he said it was about jimmy

even down to the fact that it was the most pre-jimmy-pumpkins sounding track on the album

Shadaloo
01-03-2015, 12:55 AM
The squeaking noises at the beginning of In The Arms Of Sleep, and the 'chiming' strings at points throughout the song. Creates the perfect imagery of restless nights, tossing and turning in bed, with clocks that you can't help but hear.

Christ, I wish he was still capable of doing shit like that.

Ram27
01-03-2015, 01:02 AM
^that song is beautiful. one of the best SP songs composition-wise

bye june
01-03-2015, 01:46 AM
one of the most shoegazy songs they've done & it sounds like nothing else

it's more dream pop than shoegazy to me

SensibleChuckle
01-03-2015, 02:02 AM
finer points?

when Billy sings behind the guitars, not over them.

Ram27
01-03-2015, 03:02 AM
It's insane how noticeably badly mixed the vocals are on Doomsday Clock

dreams of glass
01-03-2015, 03:13 AM
mistakes were made

smashedguava
01-03-2015, 03:44 AM
I'm a little shocked that the solo to Here Is No Why hasn't gotten any love in this thread. Classic SP. With that said, I would say my favorite SP moment is the outro to Cinder. Best thing ever.

dodoz
01-03-2015, 07:31 AM
the more i hear it the more i think the song "shame" is about courtney.

Wrong answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNusBNQrexI&t=1h11m10s

HereIsNoWhy4U
01-03-2015, 10:36 AM
The bass in "Galapogos", the vocals during the solo of "Love", especially the A-UH-A-UH-A-UH part.

Elphenor
01-03-2015, 10:40 AM
I love that part of Love

Elphenor
01-03-2015, 10:46 AM
outro to Cinder.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

FoolofaTook
01-03-2015, 12:54 PM
the guitar picking in galapogos. and jimmy's drumming.

freshfacedyouth
01-03-2015, 01:31 PM
the "and when i lost my mind, i knew i was in for a long night" and what follows part of love gives me goosebumps every time

the outro of whir is one of my all time favorite sp moments

freshfacedyouth
01-03-2015, 01:32 PM
i also said in another thread once that there's something about the vocals on by starlight that i really like

Ram27
01-03-2015, 01:37 PM
the outro of whir is one of my all time favorite sp moments

in the middle of the fadeout (at around 4:03) there are these three strums with distortion

it's incredible

Bobbyrain
01-03-2015, 02:16 PM
The squeaking noises at the beginning of In The Arms Of Sleep, and the 'chiming' strings at points throughout the song. Creates the perfect imagery of restless nights, tossing and turning in bed, with clocks that you can't help but hear.

Christ, I wish he was still capable of doing shit like that.

I agree to that! One of my favorites. Sounds so real compared to the new stuff. He would probably throw songs like this away nowadays...

topleybird
01-03-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm a little shocked that the solo to Here Is No Why hasn't gotten any love in this thread. Classic SP.

If I had to pick an absolute favorite moment in the SP catalogue it would very likely be this solo. Just so goddamn transcendent.

With that said, I would say my favorite SP moment is the outro to Cinder. Best thing ever.

Holy shit, I'd completely forgotten about this song; looks like I haven't listened to Mashed Potatoes in at least five years. That is some good-ass rockin'.

panda show
01-03-2015, 04:37 PM
I love the pre-chorus in Behold The Nightmare..

I can't go on, digging roses from your grave
To linger on, beyond the beyond
Where the willows weep
And whirlpools sleep, you'll find me

absolute lyrical and musical genius moment there.

Ram27
01-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Billy's vocals on Behold are incredible

I've said incredible a lot in this thread

shut up

october
01-03-2015, 09:28 PM
The rocket launcher in "where boys fear to tread" is a favorite little moment for me, what a swell idea that was.

Also when the bridge kicks in on "rocket", it's like a ton of bricks amazing falling simultaneously.

I agree with the "In the arms of sleep" noises, I was listening to that tune today and it brings me back to those restless nights every time.

Grox
01-04-2015, 12:22 AM
BOOV!

dodoz
01-04-2015, 09:32 AM
"Cupid de Locke"...the whole song.

freshfacedyouth
01-04-2015, 11:03 AM
scissor snips!

houseofglass11
01-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Billy screaming "how could you fuck that up?" like a psycho at the end of the Cinnamon Girl cover.

slunken
01-04-2015, 04:21 PM
been lurking this thread and just wanted to say that arms of sleep is one of my few mandatory skip songs. its just a whole ordeal to listen to plus im a dude so im like no sale bill.

i loved it as a teenager but at this point i'm more interested in getting to the goofy guitar instrumentals

slunken
01-04-2015, 04:25 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H7yW5BrquJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dreams of glass
01-04-2015, 11:19 PM
On WBFTT, he sings

on dead highways, her black beauties roam
for june angels, so far from home

after he sings angels, he lets out this UH that is in time with the snare hit.

Its such a badass little touch, in fact the whole thing is badass, that song just swaggers

Ram27
01-04-2015, 11:47 PM
golden era pumpkins could really be summed up with the word swagger

modern connotations aside

Elphenor
01-04-2015, 11:49 PM
I don't think so. I think "sincere" and "Goofy" and "emotional" are the best describers of SP

Elphenor
01-04-2015, 11:52 PM
I never feel like Corgan is putting on an act when I'm listening to MCIS he's unapologetic in his melodramatic teenagery sappiness

Grox
01-05-2015, 01:34 AM
On WBFTT, he sings

Its such a badass little touch, in fact the whole thing is badass, that song just swaggers

HOLY FUCK, i put the record on to listen for this and i've never heard that before- it fucking rules!! it's mixed REALLY low

Grox
01-05-2015, 01:40 AM
one of the best- during the BODIES breakdown, with the "dis" and "de" overdubs, how it launches from "die, deceive, deny, destroy, despise, disconnect"- gnar pickslide- "now we drive the night"

washer
01-22-2015, 05:19 PM
listened to porcelina for the first time in ages recently, on headphones

was so struck by the transition into the first verse– when, immediately following the introductory "heavy" passage, the guitar/regular drums are panned hard left, and the synth/tribal drums are hard right

i mean this was not a new thing i'd noticed by any means, yet in this particular moment of re-listening it was surprising and lovely. i was reminded of the pleasure in listening to/experiencing music, of enjoying the interaction of the sounds, silly as i feel typing that phrase

love the strange noise in the first chorus, at about 4:37 or so, like pulses moving out across a distance

also the rich, e-bow-like feedback that kicks in around 8:00

dreams of glass
08-21-2015, 03:31 AM
during the verse:

the empty bodies stand at rest
casualties of their own flesh
afflicted by their dispossession

at 1:32-1:36, as he's singing dispossession, there is a ghostly backing vocal track, most likely Billy, on just that one word.

thedeadofnight
08-26-2015, 07:34 PM
1:27-1:43 in Tom Tom is pretty awesome. That part after the first chorus

chotchkiss
09-22-2015, 11:58 PM
I like how the synth in the Blondie Cover, Dreaming off the BwBW single transitions from the lead instrument in the intro, to the bass through most of the song and then back to a lead in the outro. It's the same instrument drastically changing registers.

inkless
09-23-2015, 04:31 AM
the end of by starlight when de arcy's vocals come in with the little solo

it's not billy ?

United States "metalique noise 8.30

Ram27
09-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Right before the real drums come in on Luna, there's a little electronic snare note on an upbeat at 0:40, right after 'who rights wrong'

Grox
09-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Right before the real drums come in on Luna, there's a little electronic snare note on an upbeat at 0:40, right after 'who rights wrong'

not hearing it

Grox
09-23-2015, 02:30 PM
btw, dreams of glass, i want to thank you again for pointing out the UHNN! in where boys fear to tread. now i look forward to it. seriously an awesome little touch, this thread rules

dreams of glass
09-24-2015, 05:57 AM
btw, dreams of glass, i want to thank you again for pointing out the UHNN! in where boys fear to tread. now i look forward to it. seriously an awesome little touch, this thread rules

hey thanks!

Lt_Beans_McGood
09-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Finest point: in the Smashing Pumpkins hit alternative song "Rat in a Cage", guitarist James Iha utilizes the 'distortion' guitar effect during the chorus. Just caught this the other day while jogging. Use earbuds (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=earbuds) and you can't miss it

Grox
09-25-2015, 12:23 PM
when the double tracked vocals slip out of sync at the end of rotten apples and you hear bill cry the last syllable of "unrequitED!!" faintly

Run To Me
09-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Finest point: in the Smashing Pumpkins hit alternative song "Rat in a Cage", guitarist James Iha utilizes the 'distortion' guitar effect during the chorus. Just caught this the other day while jogging. Use earbuds (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=earbuds) and you can't miss it

:rofl:

I hereby cast my vote for Lt Beans as the most consistently hilarious poster of recent times

Grox
09-25-2015, 06:11 PM
secret synths in zero

Ram27
12-17-2015, 08:33 PM
I really love the contrast of the harsh, metronomic drum machine with the breezy guitars in Dizzle:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hxLpHi-tAxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slurpee
12-17-2015, 09:04 PM
On WBFTT, he sings

This song is #1 in SP Swagger Rankings :banging:

Slurpee
12-17-2015, 09:17 PM
The intro to Bodies on the reissue sounds fucking amazing, by the way.

FoolofaTook
12-18-2015, 12:46 PM
fuck yeah, wbftt+bodies is so fucking killer. best start to the best tsp disc. so heavy and, like someone said, arrogant. dark too.

cork_soaker
12-18-2015, 08:23 PM
wait who is james

heh heh

redbreegull
12-19-2015, 03:48 AM
the part in Where Boys Fear To Tread when Billy sings, "a veiled promise to never DAAAAIAIAIAIAIAIAAAAeeeeeeeeeeeee aaaaaaaahhrhrhrhreee."

@ 2:54, I lol every time

redbreegull
12-19-2015, 03:59 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H7yW5BrquJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

she's better

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HWdgQgtxvcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ram27
12-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Holy shit

FoolofaTook
12-19-2015, 03:51 PM
am I the only one who can't hear him say "in" in here is no why at the part where he says "if you're giving in"?

Grox
12-19-2015, 04:10 PM
if you're giving eehhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

FoolofaTook
12-20-2015, 09:40 AM
then you're giving DUUUUUPHHHH!!!!

teh b0lly!!1
12-22-2015, 08:42 AM
in "go", just before the first chorus, there is this super delicious heavily chorused guitar that almost sounds like a steel drum, playing a little line leading up to the chorus. such a beautiful touch. like if u cry everytime

teh b0lly!!1
12-22-2015, 08:48 AM
she's better

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HWdgQgtxvcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

she's more on point but i'll take the first guy's passion over her any day. his facial expressions kill it

Dan
12-30-2015, 08:35 PM
That high-pitched guitar squeal at the end of Zero.

teh b0lly!!1
12-30-2015, 08:40 PM
thank you for your input, Dan.

werideatdusk
12-31-2015, 12:46 AM
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~ddgarcia/gifs/DanGarciaUCBFaculty2004.jpg
DAN

Grox
12-31-2015, 03:51 PM
the inhaled breaths at the beginning of Perfect

FoolofaTook
01-01-2016, 09:28 AM
I got one no has ever noticed before: the crickets at the start of to Sheila.

Run To Me
01-01-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure they are actual crickets are they? Sounds more like some kinda oscillating guitar effect. It's a lil too consistent to be crickets

redbreegull
01-01-2016, 01:13 PM
no it's not real crickets but it is a cool way to start the song. not sure what exactly it is