View Full Version : The Gish tour, realistically

vitaldust
06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I was talking with Monte on AIM the other day and we both came to this conclusion:

Granted, no hard details exist yet, but:

It will be very difficult for Ginger and Jeff to catch up on said catalogue. If we are to take Billy seriously, and these people really are part of the band, how is it exactly that they will be recording new material while learning 30-50 or so songs written two decades ago in time for a tour?

The only way I can see this working is 1) James, 2) more billy lies and this tour is simply an extension of zeitgeist where he plays 7 songs from the gish era or 3) as Monte suggested, old faces holding some familiarity with the songs to tour with them.

what do you guys think?

hnibos
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
4 or 5 "gish era songs" lumped in with a bunch of z songs per show.

vitaldust
06-26-2008, 02:04 PM
i would be very dissapointed

Caine Walker
06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
here's a better topic of discussion: why the fuck were you talking to monte on AIM?

Spaceboy88
06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Is Billy going to grow his hair long for these shows? It will be like Hulk Hogan fronting the Pumpkins.

vitaldust
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
lost a bet

somaziro
06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
um... they have had months and will have had months to prepare for this fall tour - probably longer than they had to prepare for their original summer Z tour. They mastered 70+ songs before/during that time period. OF COURSE they have plenty of time to learn whatever material from the Gish era that Billy wants to play + whatever 12 new songs they are going to release in the fall. I mean, realistically, Gish + Gish era songs will probably only be a rotating set of 20 - 25 MAX. All of Gish + probably some fanboi favorites (see spiteface) and then add some songs as they go through the tour as they did the last tour....

anyway, I disagree with the OP

vitaldust
06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
um... they have had months and will have had months to prepare for this fall tour - probably longer than they had to prepare for their original summer Z tour. They mastered 70+ songs before/during that time period. OF COURSE they have plenty of time to learn whatever material from the Gish era that Billy wants to play + whatever 12 new songs they are going to release in the fall. I mean, realistically, Gish + Gish era songs will probably only be a rotating set of 20 - 25 MAX. All of Gish + probably some fanboi favorites (see spiteface) and then add some songs as they go through the tour as they did the last tour....

anyway, I disagree with the OP

20-25 played...they will learn many more, as billy usually decides what to play the night of. Also, we can assume the band was dormant until may, that means they have very little time to record an offical release, and MASTER all those songs before a tour. its just not going to happen. Well, lets just say, I'll believe the "Gish" tour when I see it.

SlingeroGuitaro
06-26-2008, 04:02 PM
billy + jimmy record while jeff and ginger rehearse. when recording is done b+j come in to rehearse.

not that hard to imagine

smashing0
06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
they were already practicing some of the songs during the previous tour
in Vancouver I heard Rhinoceros and Siva

Rickpat12
06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
They're professionals. That's like asking..OMG how can a third baseman scoop up every ground ball that comes his way. Come on...it's their jobs.

Kahlo
06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
wow Monte seems to have an all powerfull imagination, afterall he has so much life experience and knowledge to choose from

perhaps he should brainstorm on some of the more important issues

GO TEAM MONTE

Virex Kills
06-26-2008, 05:35 PM
It sounded to me like they were going to only release songs for a while, and later release an album that spans the group of songs written. So in that case, my guess is there's going to be at least one new song in the box set. I also wouldnt be surprised if the Guitar Hero 4 song was brand new and released as a single. Would be a good way to a) promote the game, b) promote the Pumpkins outside the usual record label concept.
Gish tour Im pretty sure we'll see.
Gish box set too.
Anniversary shows...quite probable?
Full fledged new release? I dont think so...?

SlingeroGuitaro
06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
gish tour= anniversary shows

Rickpat12
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
I must admit...that first sentence of the thread is by far the best way to start a thread.

skipgo
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
agreed.

smashing0
06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
I can't wait for Nothing and Everything
Imagine Billy singing "Hiding behind my hair today!":rockon:

:erm:

vitaldust
06-26-2008, 06:45 PM
billy + jimmy record while jeff and ginger rehearse. when recording is done b+j come in to rehearse.

not that hard to imagine

actually it is if they are considered the 'band'

they'll be recording too

SlingeroGuitaro
06-26-2008, 06:51 PM
recording is different than writing. recording takes no time at all. ive recorded 20 songs in a day before. a good studio musician can come in, lay down the tracks in a couple hours and be done with it.

writing is what takes so long

loser2d
06-26-2008, 06:55 PM
how in the hell do they learn the songs?
does billy give them notes and tells them what he wants it?

Kahlo
06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Have you ever played in a band?!?

Musicians of their calibre can probably pick it up by ear, that is how awesome they are.

Floppy Nono
06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
they go to spfc.org and look up the tabs

ryoga
06-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I’m confused. I thought the anniversary tour was the Gish tour. As far as recording goes, they did say they would be recording beginning in May at pumpkinland 2.0 and I believe someone mentioned that Jimmy has moved back to Chicago. I assumed this meant that it would just be Jimmy and Billy again in the studio. Maybe I missed something but when was it announced that Ginger and Jeff are permanent band members? I guess I just can’t see what they could possibly contribute to the writing process (well, Jeff I can but not Ginger).

SlingeroGuitaro
06-26-2008, 07:01 PM
::makes cd of bass heavy rough mixes:: here's your parts ginger. learn them

::makes cd of support git heavy rough mixes:: here's your parts jeff. learn them

come back in 2 months for rehearsal and we will fine tune from there

its just like an actor. they are given a script. they read through it. they memorize lines for one scene and during rehearsals they say 'eh, this doesnt work. lets do this instead.'

tcm
06-26-2008, 07:51 PM
you make it sound so unglamorous. where did the glam go??

Pizza Club
06-26-2008, 10:12 PM
They're professionals. That's like asking..OMG how can a third baseman scoop up every ground ball that comes his way. Come on...it's their jobs.

this

Gish08
06-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Well Billy plays Daydream acoustic so that leaves you with 9 album songs. Plus a few others that were demos or in between Gish and Siamese. I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

Technically a "Gish tour" is 10 songs plus whatever few other ones from that era you want to play. I wouldn't expect a two and a half/three hour concert.

NarcisPrince
06-26-2008, 11:20 PM
B0lljob.

MonteLDS
06-26-2008, 11:43 PM
man, i sure missed a lot of this thread...

what i recall saying was in reference to doing ALL the era shows real fast, real close together. Not just the Gish Era.

But really, how long will it take for us to get all the era's done.. i know there is no way that we are going hear songs from the past 20 years all played at once...

We all know every SP show sucks unless they play what we want when we want them to play it.

I would like to see ALL or Most of the Gish catalog played. For example. if they have a 25 song setlist, with all Gish songs a night. And no night be the same. So, maybe a rotate in 4 NEW songs in on each show.. so 10 show later SP has played 65 Gish Era songs. I don't think this will ever happen.

Could SP play these songs tightly together.. or would it sound like 7 shades of black?

Corganist
06-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Technically a "Gish tour" is 10 songs plus whatever few other ones from that era you want to play. I wouldn't expect a two and a half/three hour concert.

Exactly. I think people are getting a little carried away with the expectations here. I really doubt they're going to dip into the pre-Gish songs nearly enough to make up a 20-25 song setlist.

I imagine the sets will consist of 1) all of the Gish album songs, 2) a couple b-sides and/or tracks from the Lull EP, and 3) a couple pre-Gish songs. The optimistic part of me hopes that maybe they'll dig up some tracks they only ever played on the Gish tour (e.g., I Am My End, STP, Opal), but I think even that may be stretching the expectations a teensy bit beyond the realm of the practical.

JRiordan
06-27-2008, 12:42 AM
what i recall saying was in reference to doing ALL the era shows real fast, real close together. Not just the Gish Era.

But really, how long will it take for us to get all the era's done.. i know there is no way that we are going hear songs from the past 20 years all played at once...

I really doubt they are going to take the next 1-2 years of touring just to go through all the different albums. Billy and Jimmy have been talking about releasing old demos since at least February (on the radio interview in the UK). They caught some desire to put this stuff out and play the songs, hence the upcoming tour dates.

It doesn't mean that they will finish the Gish tour and suddenly want to go through all of Siamese Dream. Why even bother, considering they've consistenty played 6 of the 13 album songs since May 2007?? (Cherub, Today, Hummer, Rocket, Disarm, Mayo, Silverfuck).

Gish is a special situation since it's the oldest, hasn't been played at all besides Daydream/Crush, and most fans these days never saw any of those shows in the late 80's and early 90's, which makes this "era tour" truly a visit to a past era.

After this (or even mixed in with it), I expect and strongly desire more new material (single in September, and onward from there).

slunken
06-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Yah I'd rather hear new stuff most of all. But as far as the old songs go I can't wait for new arrangements/keys/tempos. Like I couldn't imagine a note for note version of My Dahlia or soemthing. No way.

Kahlo
06-27-2008, 04:32 AM
They won't go all the way from Gish through to Zeitgeist

anyone who thinks Corgan won't get bored with the project before they reach SD is kidding themselves.

The machine of god
06-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Presuming (falsely) they knew none of the songs they would be able to learn Gish plus another 5 or so songs in two days absolute tops, as someone said, they're professionals - I would expect them to have similar skills to a session musician, its childs play really.

As someone else pointed out, recording an album is another deal again, simply put you can learn your part 2 mins before you track it and it will work, and with Billy still writing everything, this is likely whats happening - but then I doubt they're actually recording anything...

standing
06-28-2008, 12:00 AM
I really doubt they are going to take the next 1-2 years of touring just to go through all the different albums. Billy and Jimmy have been talking about releasing old demos since at least February (on the radio interview in the UK). They caught some desire to put this stuff out and play the songs, hence the upcoming tour dates.

It doesn't mean that they will finish the Gish tour and suddenly want to go through all of Siamese Dream. Why even bother, considering they've consistenty played 6 of the 13 album songs since May 2007?? (Cherub, Today, Hummer, Rocket, Disarm, Mayo, Silverfuck).

Gish is a special situation since it's the oldest, hasn't been played at all besides Daydream/Crush, and most fans these days never saw any of those shows in the late 80's and early 90's, which makes this "era tour" truly a visit to a past era.

After this (or even mixed in with it), I expect and strongly desire more new material (single in September, and onward from there).

no i saw some interview or something somewhere. They are planning to do an era tour for each of these eras: Gish, Siamese, Mellon Collie, Adore, Machina. Each era tour will be like 20-30 shows in US and Europe only. And the tours are not album tours, they are ERA tours. So on the Siamese dream tour, some gish stuff will be played- cause the shows on the siamese dream tour will be representative of a show from 93/94. ETC up through all the eras. So yeah, by Machina era it will be a vast mix of songs. But the Machina tour had a very different setlist than Zeitgeist tour.

tcm
06-28-2008, 03:07 AM
And the tours are not album tours, they are ERA tours. So on the Siamese dream tour, some gish stuff will be played- cause the shows on the siamese dream tour will be representative of a show from 93/94. ETC up through all the eras. So yeah, by Machina era it will be a vast mix of songs.

well... that's an interesting interpretation. but it seems strange. yes, they're era shows, which we figure means they will be devoted to songs written and/or recorded in the specified era, including non-album songs. we should hope so, at least, since it gives them the opportunity to play songs that have never been performed before.

SlingeroGuitaro
06-28-2008, 09:50 AM
SP meets Darkstar Orchestra

great

MonteLDS
06-28-2008, 04:44 PM
far as the old songs go I can't wait for new arrangements/keys/tempos. Like I couldn't imagine a note for note version of My Dahlia or soemthing. No way.

translucent was pretty much the same. but i do hope for the old songs to be reinvented.

so if SP isn't going do quick era shows like Local H recently did, i don't know if we will ever see era shows beyond SD or MCIS at best

mojo
06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
the whole notion of a gish tour does reflect well on SPs healthy relationship with their past - none of that unease and aggression bordering on disowning that that Other Band have towards their early work.

vitaldust
06-28-2008, 05:49 PM
if they even do it.

Dr Fager
06-29-2008, 08:53 AM
you guys act like they are trying to learn Mozart's 41st symphony. the gish album is not that difficult from a technical perspective. they could learn the album in a day or two tops. then it would just be a matter of timing, which is where a few rehearsals come in.

T&T
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
"i wrote this song when i was 15. i've haven't even changed a lyric around. It's funny how dis-illusioned i was back then about rock and roll. being dead doesn't sell records kids. But trust me kids this was a pre-gish song that never made it to tape. You guys remember D'arcy, well she hated it. that's why it took so long for this song to come out. but here it is in it's original form" > breaks into 18minute HMM.

and along these lines the show closer will be 1979 ovb.

Kahlo
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
you guys act like they are trying to learn Mozart's 41st symphony. the gish album is not that difficult from a technical perspective. they could learn the album in a day or two tops. then it would just be a matter of timing, which is where a few rehearsals come in.

finally some common sense

MonteLDS
06-29-2008, 11:24 AM

i don't think it would be hard just to learn Gish songs, i think it be hard for them to learn the whole SP category of songs and play era shows in a short time.

MisterSquishyHalo
06-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Ginger and Jeff learned, what 100 + songs total in the first year? They can learn 25-30 gish songs.

MonteLDS
06-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Ginger and Jeff learned, what 100 + songs total in the first year? They can learn 25-30 gish songs.

if gish is the only era tour they ever do than sure, that makes plenty of sense..

right now my press question is when are they going to give us some tour dates :(

vitaldust
06-30-2008, 12:51 PM

Firstly, I'm sure the whole band is in one way or another 'learning these songs.' Its been a long time since any of them have been arranged for a live performance.

I think you are drastically underestimating how long it takes to prepare for a tour. 2 days? A few rehersals? Are you kidding me?

Given the highly professional approach of Corgan to his songs, they will: 1) be changed unmercilessly, 2) be reheased until he feels satisfied

I remember standing outside the Orange Peel last summer hours before the show and they were rehearsing songs they'd been playing all week long!

Couple that with this so called "new material"......thats a lot to do with little time to do it in.

Eulogy
06-30-2008, 01:17 PM
I remember standing outside the Orange Peel last summer hours before the show and they were rehearsing songs they'd been playing all week long!

i think that's what the industry insiders would call a "sound check."

MonteLDS
06-30-2008, 01:48 PM
i think that's what the industry insiders would call a "sound check."

the residency shows sound checks were unusually long as i recall. sometimes 3 hours. that's a pretty long time to do a sound check. especially when you have been in the same venue for the past few days.

mpp
06-30-2008, 02:07 PM
it's going to be a gish show, but it'll eb the same set each night

or very similar

that wouldn't be too hard, would it?

MonteLDS
06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
it's going to be a gish show, but it'll eb the same set each night

or very similar

that wouldn't be too hard, would it?

i think it that is the sad truth.

i personally would hope for more. like i always felt about some fans no SP show is right unless they play what i want when i want it.

the terror of living in the on demand world

tcm
06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
yeah well you could always not be that way? sad truth?

Dr Fager
06-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Firstly, I'm sure the whole band is in one way or another 'learning these songs.' Its been a long time since any of them have been arranged for a live performance.

I think you are drastically underestimating how long it takes to prepare for a tour. 2 days? A few rehersals? Are you kidding me?

You are drastically underestimating how easy most of those songs are to play.

A competent guitarist could individually learn I Am One, Siva or Rhinoceros in 5-10 minutes. There is nothing technically difficult going on in any Gish song.

As I stated the only issue is timing, which can be taken care of with a few rehearsals.

Sure they will take their time to iron things out, but actually learning the songs would take a day or two tops.

vitaldust
06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
however they did exceptionally well with the catalog last year. better than even corgan at times

sorry, but no. They did okay, but certainly not better than corgan. Jeff really can't touch him at all.

vitaldust
06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
You are drastically underestimating how easy most of those songs are to play.

A competent guitarist could individually learn I Am One, Siva or Rhinoceros in 5-10 minutes. There is nothing technically difficult going on in any Gish song.

As I stated the only issue is timing, which can be taken care of with a few rehearsals.

Sure they will take their time to iron things out, but actually learning the songs would take a day or two tops.

maybe to play them in your suburban garage, but not for a full scale flying circus tour. you need a lonnnng time to efficently prepare for those. Timing, lighting, levels, changes...etc...im sure will be rehearsed endlessly and not easily within a few days

vitaldust
06-30-2008, 07:27 PM
um. im not talking about skills here champ. im talking memory.

jeff fucked up at least one song every time I saw them last year, part. gossamer, so his memory cant be that good.

Dr Fager
06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
maybe to play them in your suburban garage, but not for a full scale flying circus tour.

lol, what are you the band apologist? its clear you have not played a musical instrument in your life.

lighting has nothing to do with learning a song!? that is adjusted after the song is ironed out, not before or during.

changes, levels? covered when you learn the song.

thank god they arent playing Ravel's La Valse, in your mythical world it would probably take 30 years for them to perform it live.

vitaldust
06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
lol, what are you the band apologist? its clear you have not played a musical instrument in your life.

lighting has nothing to do with learning a song!? that is adjusted after the song is ironed out, not before or during.

changes, levels? covered when you learn the song.

thank god they arent playing Ravel's La Valse, in your mythical world it would probably take 30 years for them to perform it live.

clearly dr fager, the band's ability to play is not the whole preformance...there are many logistical concerns that must be addressed, this can take time. Lighting, is of course, one of these logistical concerns, as is the sound level and the changes. This is something that is generally perfected after the band has mastered rehersal. There is no way of knowing how jeff and ginger are learning them, or where. So when they begin to rehearse as a band, they will worry about the levels and the changes. If you've ever played music before you'd know that this can take a lot of time. Particularly when readying for an extensive tour.

btw, an apologist is someone who more or less defends something, i am calling the band out...not defending them.

Dr Fager
07-01-2008, 10:27 AM
clearly dr fager, the band's ability to play is not the whole preformance...there are many logistical concerns that must be addressed, this can take time. Lighting, is of course, one of these logistical concerns, as is the sound level and the changes. This is something that is generally perfected after the band has mastered rehersal. There is no way of knowing how jeff and ginger are learning them, or where. So when they begin to rehearse as a band, they will worry about the levels and the changes.

Your new screen name should be Captain Obvious.

I addressed on this thread initially the people that acted like Jeff learning the guitar parts would take some huge block of time when the truth is it would take him two days tops.

The rest of your diatribe is pointless and irrelevant, and coming from you, a person that knows next to nothing about music beyond be a fanboy of SP on this site, is pure gold.

If you've ever played music before you'd know that this can take a lot of time. Particularly when readying for an extensive tour.

Being the only person between us that's ever actually performed music or has any background in music at all, I can assure you that whatever supposed "experience" you believe you have in this area is little more then a fantasy, despite how hard you try to act "informed" or "knowledgable".

Good day

Ugly
07-01-2008, 02:28 PM
To be honest, I'd like to see a setlist of about 8-10 Gish/pre-Gish songs and then the latter half of the show is 5 or 6 songs from all eras. You don't have Gish the fuck out every single goddamn night, throw some variety out there!

SlingeroGuitaro
07-01-2008, 02:34 PM
ever listened to the 'pulse' album? first disk is all sorts of great stuff, second disk is dark side of the moon + some good encore goodies.

that's what i want to see

AlphaCentauri
07-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Just play bury me for 3 hours.

maybe an encore of my eternity or bleed

Caine Walker
07-01-2008, 03:40 PM
this thread is crap.

waltermcphilp
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
this thread is carp.

http://www.creativeworlds.net/Artwork/magikarp.png

slunken
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Your new screen name should be Captain Obvious.

IWishIWasBlank
07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
SP meets Darkstar Orchestra

great

SP meets Kronos Quartet = Win

Tribute2JohnnyB
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
SP meets Kronos Quartet = Win

that sounds AWESOME.

smashing0
07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
A competent guitarist could individually learn I Am One, Siva or Rhinoceros in 5-10 minutes. There is nothing technically difficult going on in any Gish song. I'm no expert
but wouldn't learning a song to Billly's liking would probably take going through it more than twice

redbull
07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
fuck dark star orchestra

IWishIWasBlank
07-03-2008, 12:09 AM
RB aren't you the one who recorded a Kronos concert and put a thread up on the trading board?

SP + Kronos Quartet = Win/Perhaps MCIS II?