View Full Version : like the Pumpkins, Chevelle added songs to appease retailers.

ciGarski
05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm posting this here because it appears chevelle was under the same pressure as the pumpkins and we've spent the last year posting complaints about it and/or reading complaints about it. this was chevelle's response to the fans. its more than a year old but i just found it. i respect them posting a response to the marketing stunt as oppose to the typical silent treatment we get from corgan

Finally to answer your questions about why we are adding tracks to CDs. You would not be surprised to find that records are not being bought as much as they used to be. Retailers are now asking for extra things to get people into their stores. Unfortunately, these songs dont make a band any extra money. Bands make money per record, not per song. The exrta song just helps get the retailer to put the record in the store. It just makes it easier to find. We also didnt have any more songs to be able to give each one a different song, so we had to go back and write and record some more. We are working on that right now and should be back in a studio in Chicago in the next 2 weeks. We are not trying to get anyone to buy more than one cd, and you will see this extra song thing happening a lot more as people try to come up with new ways to get consumers to buy a record instead of just downloading it for free. The world is changing and we must change with it. Hopefully finding ways to make it better. Ultimately, we get to write and be artists and that is fine by us. So thanks for your witty comments and for being smart enough to ask questions and not just accuse. We have smart people on this site and I am happy to be part of all that is this Chevelle.

skipgo
05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
interesting. it's too bad sp didn't just say this in some sort of release or blog post. but even if they did, everyone would say they were full of shit, you know?

SlingeroGuitaro
05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
maybe that isnt why sp released the 20 zeitgeists. maybe they knew us retards would buy all 20 versions

Pizza Club
05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
interesting. it's too bad sp didn't just say this in some sort of release or blog post. but even if they did, everyone would say they were full of shit, you know?

it's too bad people couldn't figure this out with their own logic or basic economics. i agree though that nothing the band would have said would have made anyone happy. nothing the band says makes everyone happy anymore.

wpc33
05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Skipgo,
Don't cop that cynical thing/don't be like Billy.
We all would've appreciated some respect in the form of communication. You and I may have been nice enough to assume this best-case scenario true, and it was, but Billy does himself no favors by being silent. It made him look like he didn't care what his fans thought one way or another. Corgan's integrity was rightfully questioned last year. Now it's only his attitude that is pretty obviously gone sour.

Pizza Club,
You can't fool all of the people all of the time, no(or appease them), but Corgan has gradually alienated actual fans with a who-cares cold shoulder

skipgo
05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
even in this very thread, i predict lots of posts like the one slingero made. and sooner or later esty will show up to give us his ever important 2 cents about what fucktards sp fans are, and what a cunt billy is and how he hates us all, but mostly me because i made this post.

skipgo
05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Skipgo,
Don't cop that cynical thing/don't be like Billy.
We all would've appreciated some respect in the form of communication. You and I may have been nice enough to assume this best-case scenario true, and it was, but Billy does himself no favors by being silent. It made him look like he didn't care what his fans thought one way or another. Corgan's integrity was rightfully questioned last year. Now it's only his attitude that is pretty obviously gone sour.

well yeah, that's what i meant. that he should've just said so. but it's true that a lot of people would've called bullshit even if he had. But not doing so made it that much easier for everyone to hate on the band. And yes, I've been one to do so myself. i'm a fucking walking contradiction when it comes to my feelings on the subject of sp

SlingeroGuitaro
05-29-2008, 06:04 PM
my post was not sincere

skipgo
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
my post was not sincere

well yeah, i figured that. but i'm sure we'll get lots of posts like that which ARE sincere.

I don't care that much though. Lost is on in like 20 minutes, so fuck this shit :D

stumpycat
05-30-2008, 01:00 AM
it's too bad people couldn't figure this out with their own logic or basic economics.
Actually, I think a lot of people did. At least that's what I recall of the zillion discussions "we" had about the album's release formats.

Billy's "cold shoulder" to the fans seems to really be about the fact that he's tremendously insecure and artistically frustrated, not sensing that he's received sufficient acclaim for making an album he envisioned (with a great deal of delusion, I think) would "recapture" that fan base left back in the 1990s. It could be that Billy felt he had sacrificed a lot already by forcing what he imagined to be the "SP sound" into the album (indeed it does feel contrived at times) at at the expense of a significant portion of his own artistic interests, and felt like he got slapped in the face when he thought he was finally doing what people wanted all along (music that sounded like classic SP.) It basically didn't reclaim for him the approval and sense of importance he seems to always so desperately seek. Now he's hurt and upset. And you know the guy's going to conflate album sales with artistic importance, too. Because he's Billy and he prefers readily apparent measures of approval.

wpc33
05-30-2008, 03:11 AM
You've got that right. All of it.
Except Zeitgeist actually doesn't sound like classic SP. It's nu-Corgan rock, and bears so little resemblance of the Corgasms of yore.

IWishIWasBlank
05-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Mickyshambles: Straight shooter.

Edit: Thanks for the original post up there, G. Good find.

ciGarski
05-30-2008, 01:42 PM
SP and Chevelle only agreed to it because they wanted the money from these contracts. No-one forced them to sign. Could they have found a normal deal with someone else? I think so.
Why didn't Billy, and you Jimmy - you're not getting away with it either you fat prick - tell us, when we went out happily to buy our special limited editions, that they weren't special editions at all and that in a couple of months time there would be another special edition with a fucking dvd with it. Well I'm not buying that shit. Actually I did and that's why I'm annoyed. Was it in the contract that they couldn't inform us of this piece of information?
Billy's a cunt, Jimmy's a cunt, and SP fans are a bunch of fucktards.

didn't sp sign with warner before zeitgeist was even remotely concieved? and according to that chevelle blog, those guys had their album done in their mind, and sony told them they wanted more for the retailers thus forcing them back in the studio. i think the ink was on the paper for both bands before either label requested the extra tracks.

ciGarski
05-30-2008, 03:15 PM
if the contract was in the same vein as chevelle's, the extra tracks thing wasn't in it. re read the blog. the dude said they did not have enough songs so went back and recorded them. as in the record company said "we need an extra track for this store" chevelle said "eh ok back to the studio then". this implies to me that if they'd known this was the requirement for the record, they'd have the extra tracks already recorded.

and nobody is arguing that its not an easy way for the companies to extract money.

stumpycat
05-31-2008, 12:16 AM
You've got that right. All of it.
Except Zeitgeist actually doesn't sound like classic SP. It's nu-Corgan rock, and bears so little resemblance of the Corgasms of yore.
Well, yes. :) I agree with that. Reconnecting with that "classic SP" seemed to be a big part of his musical intention though.

selection7
05-31-2008, 04:57 AM
Though some are versions for different countries, Weezer (who has been known to release free stuff on the net only to have their record company tell them to take it down) has a new album coming out for which their will be 9 different versions with different tracklists.
http://www.albumsix.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1873
(interesting that no one on the weezer forum complained...even though they're all admitted "little bitches")

Also, I don't have the quote anymore, but Jimmy Page was this past year asked about the release of yet another best-of collection for Led Zeppelin ("Mothership") and he addressed the collectors saying "If you've already got the others, please DON'T go out and buy this one too".

To the completists, the era when collectors could reasonably own everything has passed and it's time for you all to move on. No need to complain that Weezer wants you to buy all 9 versions or that Zeppelin has repackaged a greatest hits collection for something like the fifth time. You can't reasonably keep up such a pace with all these bands and no one expects you to.

aztec litany service
05-31-2008, 06:23 AM
doesn't bill complain enough about labels? he probably assumed it's obvious what they were doing. though, i shouldn't assume i know what his motivations really are. lol..whatever, i didn't buy it once anyway

IWishIWasBlank
05-31-2008, 07:59 AM
"The Red" was Chevelle's big breakout hit here in Wisconsin. JJO in Madison and whatever it is in LaCrosse played the shit out of it. My drummer couldn't figure out how to play it. I was like.. "it's 3/4 time dude... waltz! WALTZ!"

I think it worked well for them, because I'm pretty sure the second single was 3/4 time as well.

aztec litany service
05-31-2008, 10:36 AM
chevelle suck btw, forgot to mention

IWishIWasBlank
05-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks for that, ALS.

zerock
05-31-2008, 11:34 AM
doesn't bill complain enough about labels? he probably assumed it's obvious what they were doing. though, i shouldn't assume i know what his motivations really are. lol..whatever, i didn't buy it once anyway

untrue fan alert

aztec litany service
05-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for that, ALS.

do you disagree?

ciGarski
05-31-2008, 05:02 PM
i never re read anything, maybe that's why i'm such a cunt, and i've never heard of chevelle before this but it sounds like they're walking around with their heads up their own behinds. well done chevelle.
you really think Billy (and Jimmy :mad: ) didn't know about this little part of the deal? because your post implies so.

i didn't post it because im trying to rep chevelle, thats totally unrelated to the point. and the fact that they had to go back into the studio to record more songs to appease the label would imply that yes, they didn not know about this little part of the deal. i don't know what the pumpkins know and don't know, either do you. i posted a blog which another band appeared to be under the same pressure from a label as the band this website is based on. maybe you should re read things. i doubt thats why you're a cunt but it might make you more informed in regards to your arguments.

ciGarski
05-31-2008, 05:04 PM
do you disagree?

thats as irrelevant as you saying they suck. them "sucking" has no relation to the point of the thread. if you want to talk about chevelle's talent go to the music board.

redbreegull
10-06-2016, 11:01 PM
would have gone my whole life and never thought of chevelle again if it weren't for this thread

redbreegull
10-06-2016, 11:12 PM
I can't think of their music exactly, I just know they were on the radio a lot circa 2003 and were one of those post post grunge angry regret rock bands

redbreegull
10-06-2016, 11:13 PM
who remembers hinder

GO HOME
GET STONED
SEX IS SO MUCH BETTER WHEN U MAD AT ME

ciGarski
10-07-2016, 08:32 AM
those were the days.

FlamingGlobes
10-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Chevelle ain't so bad. Modern rock that takes influence from Tool, Helmet, Hum and SP. Nothing wrong with that. And they never did the thing that all modern rock bands do and attempted a cheesy crossover ballad of any sort. They've constantly chugged along at their own pace and never strayed from their own sound. They're alright by me.

FlamingGlobes
10-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Hinder was just beyond cringey. I'm ashamed to admit that I saw them live back in 2006. And I'd be even more ashamed to list the other bands on the bill.

FlamingGlobes
10-08-2016, 12:32 PM
/Send this thread below