View Full Version : I'm hungover and I wanna die.

Mo
05-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Help me out guys - what do you do against a hangover?

:S

Banana
05-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Sleep, water, and advil.

If you smoke pot, that will pretty much get rid of it.

Mo
05-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't, I already slept for hours, I puke up everything I drink, and we have nothing like advil at home.

Thanks, though.

Thaniel Buckner
05-21-2008, 08:55 AM
you don't have water though?

Cool As Ice Cream
05-21-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't, I already slept for hours, I puke up everything I drink, and we have nothing like advil at home.

Thanks, though.

wait until 4pm. then drink a little, eat a little. then drink more and eat more.

a shower should also make you feel a bit better.

and you should try to enjoy this. ooh, and this is also fun, drink some coke. best puke times ever.

Mo
05-21-2008, 09:05 AM
I just went for a walk, which refreshed my mind.
But fuck, I'll never touch vodka again. Ugh.

redbreegull
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Coffee works pretty well for me despite claims that there is no proof it makes a hangover go away faster. I would drink a cup of coffee and then lie down for another hour and see how you feel.

sega genesis
05-21-2008, 11:05 AM
smoke a joint and watch a movie

that'll stave off the mental and physical pain for a few hours

teh b0lly!!1
i was told that when you're seriously hungover, you should drink just a little bit of alchohol - like a few sips of a beer, for example.
this is explained by the notion that once you start drinking alchohol your body immediately begins the hungover experience, and when you continue drinking it only postpones the undesirable effects of it.
or something like that.
so anyway, when you're hung over and wanna die, if you drink a few sips of a beer, your body thinks you're still drinking so it will tone down the sickness and you'll be able to slowly recover by drinking water and all that.

Caine Walker

LIES.

sega genesis
05-21-2008, 11:09 AM
i was told that when you're seriously hungover, you should drink just a little bit of alchohol - like a few sips of a beer, for example.
this is explained by the notion that once you start drinking alchohol your body immediately begins the hungover experience, and when you continue drinking it only postpones the undesirable effects of it.

hm i dunno about that. with minor hangovers i could see that working. but when i'm seriously hungouver, even the thought of alcohol will have me puking violently.

teh b0lly!!1
05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
i know, thats what i said, but some people really insist that it works.

Caine Walker
05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
i've done it. it works.

severin
05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
beer works, as in fact it's full of minerals and sugar which your body needs and the lack of which is very much responsible for the hangover in the first place. alternatively any isotonic beverage should help. oh, and something salty

Caine Walker
05-21-2008, 12:18 PM
man, i want to go get wasted now.

D.
05-21-2008, 12:33 PM
I just went for a walk, which refreshed my mind.

ahh, vodka. :love: for me, there's nothing better than a few glasses of vodka on the rocks.

but there's a fine line between making you feel great and making you black out/wake up hungover and it sure is blurry.

alexthestampede
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Hold your head over a pot of boiling eggs and shake it violently while trying to think about each and every drink you consumed last night

redbull
05-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Vodka is the devil.
take a bath.

duovamp
05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Potential beneficial remedies

* Rehydration: "Effective interventions ******* rehydration, prostaglandin inhibitors, and vitamin B6".[4]In Scotland, the drink Irn-Bru is known as a hangover remedy

* Narcotics: Codeine, dihydrocodeine, tilidine and other such medication directly work against many of the effects of alcohol hangover. It is believed that analgesic preparations containing acetaminophen (paracetamol/Tylenol) may predispose people to the risk of potentially fatal hepatotoxicity. Consumption of narcotics along with alcohol or shortly after consumption thereof is potentially dangerous in itself because of added depressant effects on the central nervous system.

* Exercise: It is known that exercise after heavy intoxication helps the heart pump blood around the body and increases the amount of oxygen in the body. A light jog that allows the heart rate to increase can help your body get over a hangover.

* Oxygen: In a double-blind random study of 231 patients at two Vienna hospitals, published in Anesthesiology in 1999 and reported on by The New York Times, it was found that the side-effects of general anesthesia could be diminished by giving patients a mix of 80 percent oxygen and 20 percent nitrogen during the surgery, and for two hours afterward. Only 17 percent of the patients receiving supplemental oxygen experienced nausea and vomiting, compared with 30 percent of the group who were given the standard 30 percent oxygen and 70 percent nitrogen.[5] The study's leader characterized the results for the Times, "Extra oxygen is cheap, risk-free and reduces the incidence of nausea as well as any known drug." A related study by members of Dr. Sessler's team, published in Anesthesiology in October 1999, indicated that patients given oxygen in amounts up to 80 percent did not suffer impaired lung function. In addition, there have been anecdotal reports, from doctors, nurses and SCUBA divers, that oxygen can also reduce the symptoms of hangovers sometimes caused by alcohol consumption. The theory is that the increased oxygen flow resulting from oxygen therapy improves the metabolic rate, and thus increases the speed at which toxins are broken down.[6]

* Magnesium: It is well studied that excessive alcohol consumption can lead to a magnesium deficiency, or reduce levels of magnesium, as well as depleting zinc and other minerals. Individuals with lower magnesium levels may experience more severe hangovers. A healthy diet that contains an adequate intake of magnesium and other minerals may help in the long term to reduce the effects of hangovers. The hangover symptoms of headache, and light and sound sensitivity, are very similar to those of migraine. A common treatment for chronic migraine headaches is magnesium. Some scientists hypothesize that a hangover may be exhibiting at least some symptoms of an acute magnesium deficiency.

* Tolfenamic acid (TA): A study concludes, "TA was found significantly better than placebo in the subjective evaluation of drug efficacy (p<0.001) and in reducing the reported hangover symptoms in general (p < 0.01). In the TA group, significantly lower symptom scores were obtained for headache (p<0.01), and for nausea, vomiting, irritation, tremor, thirst, and dryness of mouth (all p < 0.05)."[7]

* Vitamin B6 (pyritinol): Some studies have found that Vitamin B6 reduces hangovers.[4][8]

* Chlormethiazole: "Chlormethiazole was found to lower blood pressure and adrenaline output and, furthermore, to relieve unpleasant physical symptoms, but did not affect fatigue and drowsiness. The cognitive test results were only slightly influenced by this agent, while psychomotor performance was significantly impaired. Subjects with severe subjective hangover seemed to benefit more from the chlormethiazole treatment than subjects with a mild hangover."[9] "However, all 8 subjects had unpleasant nasal symptoms following chlormethiazole, and it is therefore not an ideal hypnotic for this age group."[10]

* Rosiglitazone: [Study in rats] "Rosiglitazone alleviated the symptoms of ethanol-induced hangover by inducing ALD2 expression…"[11]

* Acetylcysteine: There are claims that N-acetylcysteine can relieve or prevent symptoms of hangover through scavenging of acetylaldehyde.

* Food and Water: Simple consumption of foods such as eggs, which contain cysteine, and water may be enough to replenish lost moisture and at least rehydrate the body, making a hangover shorter.

* Gatorade: Gatorade is high in electrolytes.

* A glass of Milk, water and orange juice. The Calcium, re-hydration properties, and vitamin C contained in each product respectively is found to combat the symptoms of a hangover if taken shortly after consumption.

[edit] Possibly ineffective remedies

* Antipokhmelin: Also known under its tradename RU-21, it is an over-the-counter dietary supplement whose primary active ingredient is succinic acid, an extract of amber. It has been touted by internet marketers as a miracle cure for alcohol hangovers, alleged to have been produced by Soviet scientists for a KGB spy program. To-date, however, no double-blind, placebo-controlled scientific studies confirming the marketers' claims have been released.

* Globe artichoke (Cynara scolymus) extract: "Our results suggest that artichoke extract is not effective in preventing the signs and symptoms of alcohol-induced hangover."[12]

* Artichoke and Sarsaparilla extract: A November 2004 issued U.S. Patent No. 6,824,798 states that the method described in the patent "results in complete elimination of veisalgia (hangover) in more than 80% of individuals". These plant extracts, when administered separately, do not seem to have a similar effect. The patent further states that the right combination of the extracts of both of these plants are required and that they then contain a complex of polyphenols, flavonoids, and phytosterols that are effective. However, no evidence is required for such statements to appear in a patent application or in the patent itself. The existence of a patent is merely legal evidence of intellectual property, not evidence of efficacy.

* Propranolol: "We conclude that propranolol does not prevent the symptoms of hangover."[13][14]

* Fructose and glucose: A 1976 research has come to the conclusion that "The results indicate that both fructose and glucose effectively inhibit the metabolic disturbances induced by ethanol but they do not affect the symptoms or signs of alcohol intoxication and hangover."[15] Nevertheless, consumption of honey (a significant fructose and glucose source) is often suggested as a way to reduce the effect of hangovers.[16]

* Kudzu (Pueraria lobata): With respect to preventing hangovers, "The evidence regarding kudzu's effectiveness is mixed" and "There are no studies to demonstrate that kudzu can serve as a morning-after potion for eliminating hangovers as used in traditional Chinese practice."[17]

* Hair of the dog

fluxequalsrad
05-21-2008, 02:11 PM
joint + a quick filling meal (i.e. hamburger)

Your body needs fuel.

D.
05-21-2008, 02:50 PM
whatever you do, do not drink too much water.

the feeling of a hangover plus a stomach ache from drinking too much water too fast is one of the worst feelings ever. EVER.

Cool As Ice Cream
05-21-2008, 02:52 PM
this guy hasn't come back. i think he actually died.

D.
05-21-2008, 02:57 PM
well, damn.

wHATcOLOR
05-21-2008, 02:58 PM
i try and eat something mild like honeydew melon and drink something like gatorade, and i'll take alieve. and i try to lie as still as possible, usually in the fetal position, and get some air movement (open windows a bit so you'll have a breeze on your face). then i put on a movie or something and don't really watch it, somehow it is comforting just to have it on. i haven't really been hung over in quite some time, i'm going to keep that up.

Cool As Ice Cream
05-21-2008, 03:05 PM
this guy is talking about a hangover where you can't even keep one sip of water down.

i've had that a couple of times, and really, there's nothing you can do but wait until you can keep it down, which can be as late as 6 pm if you're unlucky.

like i said, drinking a glass of coke will make throwing up a lot more pleasant. it looks horrible, but the taste is sweet and it's so much better than throwing up water or nothing.

i'm sure antipop is feeling better now, as it's already 9 pm here, and i think he lives in my timezone. he probably got really hungry too, after an entire day of not being able to eat.

mxzombie
05-21-2008, 03:18 PM
if i were him i would have smoked a blunt when i got up, that generally resolves any discomfort due to any number of things

Tonrey
05-21-2008, 04:41 PM
oh god this reminds me of that one night i drank half a two liter bottle of soda full of vodka, i puked up everything i had and then some

bardy
05-21-2008, 06:41 PM
have you guys never heard of BLOODY MARYs?!?! FUCK YEAH!!! I had the worst hangover ever one morning and I was attempting to wake up and go to the airport to get on a plane. I got to the airport, was half crying out of feeling like shit, then I went to the bar and ordered a bloody mary and had one sip and was like HOLY SHIT!! It doesn't "post pone" it really... I mean unless you kick it into high gear with drinking again... it just is more of a uhhh gradual comedown rather than crashing.

Mo
05-21-2008, 06:46 PM
if i were him i would have smoked a blunt when i got up, that generally resolves any discomfort due to any number of things

Too bad I quit the weed.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys. I just puked some more, went back to sleep and got up almost sober/okay.