View Full Version : Looking Back at the Residencies

themadcaplaughs
03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I remember back when it was first announced that the band would be performing residency shows in North Carolina and California, many people here started saying that it would be the future of the band. They believed it would make or break the live lineup, and would determine how strong or weak the band's future material was.

Now that the residencies are long and gone, I was wondering what the general consensus on them was. People who attended them got some really cool old songs (Rotten Apples, Fuck You, Blue Skies Bring Tears) as well as some extraordinary new ones (?, Mama, Peace, 99 Floors). What made me wonder is the fact that we have learned that at least two songs that were presented as "brand-new" during the residencies (Superchrist and The Rose March) were in fact old songs that Billy dug up. In the press release for American Gothic Billy mentioned he played The Rose March with Pete Townsend and in the press release for Fresh Cuts, Volume 2 Billy and Jimmy said Superchrist originated during the Zeitgeist sessions.

So were the residency shows a cheap gimmick to seal tickets, or one of the defining moments of the band?

ToEachesOwn
03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Defining moment, maybe not in terms of the band's history, but for all of those involved. I'd like to think that when I'm 80 and in a retirement home, I'll point to that weekend in Asheville as one of the most amazing moments in my life. I highly doubt any concert experience will ever compare to those nights.

Azael
03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
I thought only the "riff" of Superchrist originated from the Zeit sessions, and the song was further built for the residencies. Even then, so what if it was an older unheard song?

SlingeroGuitaro
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
I'd like to think that when I'm 80 and in a retirement home, I'll point to that weekend in Asheville as one of the most amazing moments in my life.

don't aim to high there

redbull
03-25-2008, 11:55 PM
superchrist has a riff?

redbull
03-25-2008, 11:55 PM
anyways they were nice but i wish they had kept some of the songs from them in rotation instead of shit like glass and the ghost children

exactlythesame
03-25-2008, 11:59 PM
superchrist has a riff?

thank you

Azael
03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
superchrist has a riff?

I quoted Billy on that one.

Chuck=Zero
03-26-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm with ToEachesOwn in that those shows (I went to Asheville) were definitely the most exciting and entertaining concert/sporting events I've ever been to, and I doubt I'll ever have an experience at any future event as amazing as the experience of those shows. As for the aim of the residency shows, it certainly wasn't money, considering that at least in the case of Asheville, the tickets were just $20 in a venue that only held 900. Unless Billy and the band had somethin' goin' with the hotels, restaurants, and airlines, I doubt the band made much of anything in terms of profits from Asheville. I'd say more than anything else, the residencies were merely a tune-up for the following US tour, and maybe also served as a gauge to get a feel for what the mostly devout SP audiences thought of new material and the "reformed" band.

T&T
03-26-2008, 04:16 AM
more residencies coming up folks!