View Full Version : Last time you watched Viewphoria?

darthjul
03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
It must have been years since I sat down and watched Viewphoria start to finish. I did so yesterday and it made me feel so strange. Seeing Youtube footage of the band around that era doesn't make me feel odd. I'm more into the Pumpkins now than ever. But for some reason, watching that movie they made together, all these emotions came over me, like bumping into an old friend you never see any more.
More so, it was so bittersweet to hear hope hopeful and naive they each seemed after so much time has passed. Like you couldn't remember them being any other way. The sections with the shrink put everything into perspective. To hear how betrayed Billy seemed to feel. Some of that may have been exaggerated but theres truth there too. He must have really been hurting. I wonder how they feel about it these days. So strange to feel this way about people you've never met.

Rickpat12
03-19-2008, 12:21 AM
I just watched it last week, it's been about a year since I last watched it. The Lost 94 footage is sweet. But nothing could top that Silverfuck version.

stumpycat
03-19-2008, 01:25 AM
JACKBOOT!!!!!! Hell, even Why Am I So Tired is cool enough that I bothered with the full-length Earphoria version. I love the guitar tones in that song so much.

Also...I've oftened wondered how real/fake that "counseling session" is. If it isn't merely a staged tongue in cheek joke (these were the days before so much "reality TV, mind) it was pretty ballsy to put that segment in.

smashingjj
03-19-2008, 07:10 AM
i think i once saw a part of it at maarten's place.

Rockin' Cherub
03-19-2008, 07:49 AM
at least two years.

BlissedandGone2
03-19-2008, 12:24 PM
my vhs of that is all worn out and shitty

skipgo
03-19-2008, 01:23 PM
i came home from work several months ago and my husband was watching it. Before that, I don't remember the last time. I know what you mean about the "old friend" thing, I felt that way too.

You know, a lot of people see sp as two bands; sp1 and sp2. I see them as two distinct entities as well, but for me it's 1988-1994 pumpkins and 1995-now pumpkins. I guess it's the "before they were superfamous" era that I prefer and feel with which i related better. So yeah, I should go watch vieuphoria again, get reaquainted with those guys.

wounded
03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
1994 pumpkins were my favorite band ever

skipgo
03-19-2008, 04:25 PM
me too, wounded; me too.

T&T
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
mid last year when the album came out.
I love the crying jimmy in therapy
most of the interludes in fact gave Sp so much class and character..

tea time
the kicking and punching woman
& the rider

???
03-19-2008, 04:38 PM
heh, i usually watch vieuphoria and the greatest hits dvd back to back about every two months or so, never gets old to me :D

june_soma
03-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Jesus, five years ago at least. I used to watch it alot because the sound from my stereo would bother my neighbours late at night, but the sound from the TV didn't. So I used to switch back and forth from the video collection and Viewphoria when I was drinking with my firends. The place I live now I just pay a fine to the building manager for loud music after twelve. Yes, very nazi, but if we are five people it's like 20 bucks to make as much noise as we want for as long as we want.

So worth it. Cheaper to drink at home, and we don't have to listen to music we hate, and best of all, we don't have to be bothered with the idiots that are polluting our favorite bars.

And we don't have to go out in the blistering cold to smoke.

suncrashesdown
03-20-2008, 05:15 PM
I always thought the point of the 'therapy sessions' is that they were clearly staged and supposed to be funny. I mean, James talking about a deli tray of footwear? How could anyone think that was serious?!

T&T
03-20-2008, 05:26 PM
How could anyone think that was serious?!who thinks they were serious?
jimmy crying about his hair is hilarious.

Tristessa274
03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I watched it back in the Spring with a friend after we both realized we were both really into the Pumpkins. I hadn't watched it in a while and it was weird to see it again in the context of the whole reformation thing. It was still really entertaining and funny, but just strange to compare how the band was then to the "new" pumpkins. I had mixed feelings because it really made me miss what once was, but also got me very excited watching the live performances because I knew I had some Pumpkins shows coming in the near future.

pale blue eyes
03-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Probably shortly after I purchased it when it came out on DVD a few years back. Maybe once after that. It's definitely been a long time.

fluxequalsrad
03-20-2008, 10:44 PM
The Hummer performance in the lost tapes is phenomenal...even with the screaming 'i don't know how to sing without hurting my voice' vocals...

pete
03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm gonna go watch it right now, been like 6 months.

cardiac
03-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Just started watching it because of this thread.

It's pretty funny how James says "it's their footwear that really bothers me. what they wear at any given moment.. it distracts me" considering how there's been talk about Bill's peculiar choices in shoes lately.

Skradgee
03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
two or three years. I should watch the lost tapes footage again.

Kahlo
03-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Probably shortly after I purchased it when it came out on DVD a few years back. Maybe once after that. It's definitely been a long time.

I'm the same. Not sure I would watch a DVD if they brought out one now repeatedly like I did with Vieuphoria at the time

Boycott Graceland
03-22-2008, 05:25 AM
around whenever it came out on dvd. they're lucky that they released it on dvd when they did, because i probably wouldn't have bought it six weeks later.

cardiac
03-22-2008, 05:35 AM
Now that I think about, I'm yet to see the Lost 94' tapes in it's entirety!

Excuse me -->