View Full Version : How does SP's online fan community compare?

brillo998
03-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Ive never really searched for forums for other bands. I looked for some deftones forums and they all seemed to be pretty dead. im sure bands like radiohead and metallica have some big online forums. does sp have a pretty big online community or what?

Cool As Ice Cream
03-06-2008, 03:18 PM
or what.

Mo
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM
There used to be tons of boards full of people like you.
I wonder what happened.

stumpycat
03-07-2008, 02:06 AM
From what I've seen--comparatively speaking--SP indeed has a fairly massive, organized, and comprehensive presence on the internet. Even our resident douchebags seem able to construct a complete sentence (which is more than you can say about some other forums I've seen.)

Gossamer
03-07-2008, 02:08 AM
radiohead and the mars volta also have quite large online fanbases

stumpycat
03-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Probably not a coincidence those bands tend to have some amount of crossover audience as well.

Mo
03-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Anyone remember the Kosertech [sp?] boards?

june_soma
03-07-2008, 10:03 AM
This might be just a myth, but I think I read somewhere that did did a survey once on which bands had the most loyal following and SP won or was in the top three or something. They even beat Grateful Dead. This was a long time ago though, but I still believe that SP-fans are very loyal. If not obsessive. I know that I fall into the latter categori...

Oh adulthood, why must thou be so hard to reach? :(

Spaldz
03-07-2008, 10:05 AM
The drug one..

starlightvideoproductions
03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Nirvana has a pretty big collection of people. But, they are annoying and praise everything Kurt Cobain ever did. I used to be really into Nirvana until I started to listen to the Pumpkins and realised by comparison, Nirvana was pretty sophmoric.

skipgo
03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh adulthood, why must thou be so hard to reach? :(

i often ponder this as well...

jamesey
03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
not many other bands come close to the sp community. the foo fighters and chili peppers online communities are nothing compared so sp's.

arCHI
03-07-2008, 06:10 PM
i have always been impressed with the amount of raw information that can been readily found about SP on the internet. whether its the dates and quatities of wongs performed live since....forever, or the sources of demos and b-sides, or live recordings. i mean how many hundreds of shows can you download easily from sites like RSPAA or archive?

CrabbMan
03-07-2008, 08:07 PM
SP fans seem to all be OCD. But that's cool, because we get things like the spfc.org. And I'm really hoping to see the smashing pumpkins LMA is gonna keep growing (please please help if you can).

rolmos
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Pearl Jam online communities are depressing.

IWishIWasBlank
03-07-2008, 09:06 PM
That's because Vitalogy was their only good record.

???
03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
sp's fanbase is certainly one of the biggest and most devoted. when a band gives you as much to listen to, think about and discuss as the pumpkins have, its not hard to see how you end up with legions of die-hards and rabid completists lusting after every mythic b-side or waiting to dissect every scrap of trivial information about you. its the greatest testament to and the ultimate proof that they really are one of the greatest and most unique bands of all time. other bands might get more publicity, like nirvana or radiohead, but few if any can match sp's depth, substance and consistent productivity.

wHATcOLOR
03-07-2008, 10:10 PM
quatities of wongs

:rockon:
:the helicopter:

metal
03-07-2008, 10:11 PM
is redbull going to post the machina mystery now?

T&T
03-07-2008, 10:36 PM
is redbull going to post the machina mystery now?
i will if you want

kingy
03-08-2008, 08:41 PM
The thing I like about the online SP community apart from the abundance of information and live shows available, etc. is the fact that people tend to be able to discuss the bands work intelligently and both criticize and praise it.

Every time I've wandered over to a Radiohead board or the like its just full of idiots gushing about this time that Thom Yorke sneezed and how it was the best song ever made.

bja1288
03-08-2008, 08:57 PM
im pretty sure it has something to do with the nature of the fanbase. Pumpkins may not have as many devoted fans, but the type of person that the music draws brings alot to the forum.

metal
03-08-2008, 09:26 PM
The thing I like about the online SP community apart from the abundance of information and live shows available, etc. is the fact that people tend to be able to discuss the bands work intelligently and both criticize and praise it.

Every time I've wandered over to a Radiohead board or the like its just full of idiots gushing about this time that Thom Yorke sneezed and how it was the best song ever made.

as amazing as radiohead is their songs aren't extremely thought provoking. where'd you park the car? you can keep the furniture. dollars and cents. follow me around.

AlaskanBastard
03-08-2008, 09:39 PM
The Red Hot Chili Peppers fan base is comparable in some ways, they have there own versions of spfc and things. The problem is that it's full of unquestioning 14 year old girls who think Kiedis is a saint. But the RHCP fan base is kind of included with the John Frusciante fans who have a bit more sense about them.

ChaosEffect
03-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Pearl Jam online communities are depressing.

I've seen and posted there a couple of times requesting a few boots. Man, their Gen. Music board is complete shit full of music games and other dumb shit.

exactlythesame
03-09-2008, 01:12 AM
quatities of wongs

:rockon:
:the helicopter:

i'm glad someone else picked up on this

IWishIWasBlank
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
The Red Hot Chili Peppers fan base is comparable in some ways, they have there own versions of spfc and things. The problem is that

they've sold out an awful lot since Johnny Kick a Hole in the Sky.

Ramdust
03-10-2008, 11:16 AM
SP has a pretty big collection of people. But, they are annoying and praise everything Billy Corgan ever did. I used to be really into SP until I started to listen to Pink Floyd and realised by comparison, SP was pretty sophmoric.

:banging: