View Full Version : news about the "Era shows"

M.Night
03-03-2008, 03:04 AM
Finnish fan and Netphoria poster “mrk” has the day’s cold rumor after being with the Pumpkins on the same Finnair flight from Stockholm to Helsinki; rather than read the inflight magazine, he wisely chose to chat up Billy Corgan. He reports:

BC told that they’re about to release some unreleased stuff, starting from pre-gish / gish era stuff and do a small tour of about 20 dates (us/europe combined) later in the year playing Gish-era type shows. And mentioned that they actually soundhecked those songs [Bury Me, Geek U.S.A., I Am One] yesterday. Asked them to play those in Helsinki tomorrow, but no chance he said, have to wait ;)

http://hipstersunited.com/blog/

smashapumpkin
03-03-2008, 03:38 AM
lies lies

but i hope its true

Floppy Nono
03-03-2008, 03:45 AM
you've got the right idea billy corgan, these are all the right things to say now let them be the things you do.

M.Night
03-03-2008, 03:59 AM
lies lies

but i hope its true

i also hope the hipster is telling the truth
20 gish shows ...
my god i would be in heaven :)

slunken
03-03-2008, 04:05 AM
i would take anything corgan says w/ a huge grain of salt...not sure if i'm buying the 20 gish shows thing

JRiordan
03-03-2008, 04:21 AM
See the further post down (#23) which has the real juice:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost.php?p=3188819&postcount=23

june_soma
03-03-2008, 06:50 AM
mrk is now my personal hero. Thank you so much for sharing that with us! Very exciting news, all though I agree with the people here who say that you can take alot of what Corgan says with a huge grain of salt.

Anyway, if it turns out to be true, I can't wait! Huzzah! :)

CortezTheKiller
03-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Being a New Zealander I'd rather see him churning out the usual Album and see him on the world tour every 2-3 years. Hopefully he'll try and take these sorts of shows in the long run to different parts of the world, or at least let a few them be professionaly filmed and available on the net.

RenewRevive
03-03-2008, 09:53 AM
billy would rather gnaw off his own leg than officially release a dvd of a show.

NothingSafe
03-03-2008, 11:20 AM
They better continue doing world tours and not become one of those intimate only bands, nonetheless this is very exciting news.

Tribute2JohnnyB
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Play dates where each album is played live.

/DavidBowie'dSonicYouth'dTheCure'd

Pizza Club
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/UFO---I-Want-to-Believe--C10282688.jpeg

Caine Walker
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
HA. remember when there was supposed to be four different versions of Zwan?

rolmos
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Remember when Billy's solo album was going to be good?

spidrr
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
well I guess this can sorta confirm theres not going to be any NY zeitgeist dates

Pizza Club
03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
well I guess this can sorta confirm theres not going to be any NY zeitgeist dates

I don't think it does it all.

spidrr
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't think it does it all.

well I do. jeff said no plans for the summer...billy plans to write/record new material in that time, then start these gish era shows towards the end of the year. I guess that leaves a couple months in there for a few more zeitgeist shows in the fall, but Id personally rather have a gish era show than a zeitgeist show. wasnt too impressed with the philly shows.

Caine Walker
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
<---- still completely baffled over the fact that there is no plan for a chicago show.

Pizza Club
03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
<---- still completely baffled over the fact that there is no plan for a chicago show.

that we know of.

Caine Walker
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
maybe. :: shrug::

i personally think that corgan has completely forsaken chicago. hell, i'm thinking about forsaking it, myself. but seriously, i will be utterly shocked if we ever hear about a chicago date that isn't lollapalooza or something equally as ready-made.

brillo998
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/UFO---I-Want-to-Believe--C10282688.jpeg

haha, the second i saw that james said it as i was playing "believe." good timing sir.
anyway, id rather a sd or mcis specific tour. billy will be like 45 by the time he gets to a mcis tour.

Rockin' Cherub
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
geek usa is gish era?

CrabbMan
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
They started playing Geek USA like a year before Siamese Dream came out, so I think that still counts as Gish era.
I wonder if they're going to work they're way through all the eras, kinda like when they first introduced smashingpumpkins.com, where there was a month for each era. First was Gish month in June, and then, um, yeah.

Rockin' Cherub
03-03-2008, 02:16 PM
what came then, "CrabbMan"? what next?

RenewRevive
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I wonder if they're going to work they're way through all the eras, kinda like when they first introduced smashingpumpkins.com, where there was a month for each era.

billy will skip the adore-era, to punish the fans for not buying it.

also there may be a collective gasp from the fans attending the first "gish" show when he cranks out reworked versions of HMM and BSBT, the joker.

NothingSafe
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
billy will skip the adore-era, to punish the fans for not buying it.

also there may be a collective gasp from the fans attending the first "gish" show when he cranks out reworked versions of HMM and BSBT, the joker.

An Adore-era tour would be the ultimate, they european shows of 98 are among the best I saw SP play, ever.

Rickpat12
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Well if it's true, I'm pumped as ever. Bring on Spiteface!

skipgo
03-03-2008, 03:31 PM
i remember wishing they'd play jennifer ever when i was going to mcis shows. That'd be awesome if they pulled that one out.

million_watts
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
they will start with machina era and play three versions of HMM throughout the set

then, when that goes horribly wrong, he'll drop the whole idea

rolmos
03-03-2008, 03:45 PM
If Bleed and She are played on the era tours, Zeitgeist will have been worth it. Almost.

Rickpat12
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Snap, Jennifer Ever, Egg, Slunk, knowing those could be played make my dick=tree. But yeah seriously, I hope they follow through with this.

june_soma
03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Ah, SLUNK! Yes, that would make my dick hard too, if I had one. I guess stiff nipples will have to suffice.

wilch
03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
DADDYS NOT COMIN HOOOOOOOOME WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAYYYAAWAWWAAYYYYNN WWWWWOWOOOOOOWWOWAWWEEESHABAMSHABAM WAKAWAKA PTANG FAZOW

wilch
03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
etc...

Pheeew
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
jimmy should sing!

commando
03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
this confirms what he said on that UK radio show a couple weeks ago...

slunken
03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
i just hope the "releases" we hear of isn't stuff like "reel time sessions: remastered! remixed!"

kingy
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
i just hope the "releases" we hear of isn't stuff like "reel time sessions: remastered! remixed!"

I have a feeling most of the "unreleased stuff" will be from Mashed Potatos, Reel Time, etc. I mean how much other quality unreleased Gish era material can there be?
Although it'd be nice to have cleaned up versions of some of these songs.
Also I know they were throwing around STRTJ for a long time before finally putting it out on TAFH, I wonder if we'll hear an early studio version of it in the Gish or SD era collection... if this all ever happens that is.

slunken
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
my first thought was that it would be mashed potatoes. typical.

yoshinobu's revenge
03-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Ball and Chain won't be the same without James.

Rickpat12
03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Also I know they were throwing around STRTJ for a long time before finally putting it out on TAFH, I wonder if we'll hear an early studio version of it in the Gish or SD era collection... if this all ever happens that is.

Have you not heard the Quiet and Other Songs version of it? That's a Siamese Era take. If you haven't heard it man check it out over at rspaa.

stripes
03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Well if it's true, I'm pumped as ever. Bring on Spiteface!

They're not going to play Spiteface :noway:

ciGarski
03-03-2008, 10:13 PM
They're not going to play Spiteface :noway:

i wouldn't see why not. what other pre gish material do you think would trump this? considering pumpkin shows have been 2+ hours...

and even though he's been known to say and not do, this seems pretty well planned.

and i got to say, it seems like an excellent idea all things considered. this band is so fucking prolific that going through the eras would be a decent way of capturing and honoring the material while still respecting that this isn't just some cheap greatest hits reunion.

and 20 shows would be a decent amount and billy won't be 45 by the time they get to MCIS.

i also like that it would be small venue, high prices. just as he said it would limit the audience to those who are willing to shell out the cash, as oppose to people in the area just checking it out.

despite not releasing things like the metro show, which for all we know could be an issue of legality and ownership, he seems to respect those who are loyal fans of the band.

flyfire
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
They better continue doing world tours and not become one of those intimate only bands, nonetheless this is very exciting news.

I understand where you're coming from on this, but small intimate shows in the US would be a perfect setting for this type of show. And worth the airfare.

stripes
03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
i wouldn't see why not. what other pre gish material do you think would trump this? considering pumpkin shows have been 2+ hours...

I think by what I said, I just ment that Spiteface is one of the many songs I am excited for.

But I agree with all of your points. Well said.

ChrisHill
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
We really need a good version of She, that's reason enough for this tour. I also wonder what they have left unreleased studio-wise from the pre-Gish era. There are a ton of uncirculating concerts that would be sweet, but that's one of the most circulating eras demo-wise, oddly enough.

ciGarski
03-03-2008, 10:58 PM
I think by what I said, I just ment that Spiteface is one of the many songs I am excited for.

But I agree with all of your points. Well said.

:cheers:

stumpycat
03-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Well it's just shit without utilizing the million-b0lly choir and the kind of ultra-modern mixing that makes it loud at any volume...

NothingSafe
03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I understand where you're coming from on this, but small intimate shows in the US would be a perfect setting for this type of show. And worth the airfare.

Yes it would be the perfect setting indeed, but if there are like a 1000-1500 seats, you just have to be in luck to get tickets or pay up some hard cash. Things that make me pretty anxious :erm:, but we'll see.

releasing material > live shows.

New Art Rioter
03-04-2008, 09:08 AM
These shows will be great, if they happen... I wonder what a 'good price ticket' means? The Shephards Bush show was £40, I'd say that was a pretty 'good price' already!

skipgo
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
shit. i'd better start saving up for one these shows now. Maybe by the end of the year I'll have enough for a scalped ticket and airfare. I'm holding out for the SD era show...

flyfire
03-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Americans have it so good when it comes to airfares - it cost 900 to fly out of AU and that's just to get to New Zealand

sppunk
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Wait, you tools think he'll magically bust out six or seven new songs?

Well, they might but they'll be covers and not SP songs.

IWishIWasBlank
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I'd like to hear East.

Mo
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd appreciate a better version of She as well.

Eulogy
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
hm

this will be interesting. i'll have to go to every show, obviously. shit. they should do it all in one night in chicago. or make it an all day thing. YEAH.

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Wait, you tools think he'll magically bust out six or seven new songs?

Well, they might but they'll be covers and not SP songs.

what the fuck are you talking about.

Pizza Club
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
shit. i'd better start saving up for one these shows now. Maybe by the end of the year I'll have enough for a scalped ticket and airfare. I'm holding out for the SD era show...

I'm using my $600 Bush tax thing. Don't you have kids? You get more for that. They can finally pull their weight and send you to see Jimmeh and the B0llster.

Americans have it so good when it comes to airfares - it cost 900 to fly out of AU and that's just to get to New Zealand

$900AU? Wat dat's like 20 bux American rite? lol....

is what I used to be able to say.

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
more than likely my tax cut's going to bonnaroo.

im pretty sure ill be able to afford pumpkin tickets. and by tickets i mean to buy just enough tickets to shut skipgo out.

skipgo
03-04-2008, 12:04 PM
you wouldn't do that to me cigarski, you love me.
thanks for the advice pizza club, i gotta put that kid to work! *looks up sweatshop in phonebook*

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
oh my god, skipgo. you weren't supposed to read that.

Ol' Couch Ass
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Anyone who thinks any of this will come to fruition is a rube.

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 12:30 PM
whats a rube? rhubarb?

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
oca are you calling me a garden vegetable?

skipgo
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
oh my god, skipgo. you weren't supposed to read that.

busted.

ol couch ass, don't dash my hopes. It's all I have. :(

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
and i do love you skipgo, but its more of a "i want to be on you" kinda love. ya know?

skipgo
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
ah, i see.

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
just kidding. if you ever needed a heart/lung/kidney/eyeball/finger/hair/tongue transplant i'd hook you up. its that kinda love.

Ol' Couch Ass
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
oca are you calling me a garden vegetable?

No sir I do not bite my thumb at you but I do bite my thumb

skipgo
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
just kidding. if you ever needed a heart/lung/kidney/eyeball/finger/hair/tongue transplant i'd hook you up. its that kinda love.

good. i'll give you an eyeball too. if you need one.

wilch
03-04-2008, 01:18 PM
incidently, i recently had my penis severed off and i would gladly sell it too any warm-hearted netphorian who would look after it with TLC and treat it as one of their own, for a reasonable fee of course.

RenewRevive
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
These shows will be great, if they happen... I wonder what a 'good price ticket' means? The Shephards Bush show was £40, I'd say that was a pretty 'good price' already!

yeah, good for who billy, good for who?

skipgo
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
it would be cool if they tried to implement some sort of ticket selling process that helps cut out scalpers (but not necessarily like the way they did the residencies). Maybe if they sold tickets only to members of sp.com or something. That would be pretty nice. I'm not looking forward to the $2000 ebay tickets that are sure to be the only thing anyone can find when the scalpers buy up all the tickets in the first 2 minutes.

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 02:11 PM
it would be cool if they tried to implement some sort of ticket selling process that helps cut out scalpers (but not necessarily like the way they did the residencies). Maybe if they sold tickets only to members of sp.com or something. That would be pretty nice. I'm not looking forward to the $2000 ebay tickets that are sure to be the only thing anyone can find when the scalpers buy up all the tickets in the first 2 minutes.

im all for efforts to cut out scalpers but to make it exclusive to sp.com would be a terrible idea.

really, i have no problem with higher ticket prices for these shows. if my friends or i are trying to convince one another to go to some show, the first question and biggest deterrent usually is "how much?"

really, making them any more exclusive is just going to be a pain in the ass like zeitgeist looney itunes

skipgo
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
i don't mind the band themselves charging high prices, but I don't like the idea of paying some stupid fucking scalper a thousand bucks. Now, that itunes thing was fucked, if they go with that shit again it's going to be terrible. But I don't see why they shouldn't have some deal to make sure "real" fans get tickets as opposed to scalpers. At least if they had something where you could sign up to get a chance to get to the tickets before the general public... doesn't pearl jam do something like this?

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
i don't plan on paying a scalper i don't know why you would. and it would be great if "real" fans get the tickets but whos to say only real fans are registered on sp.com?

skipgo
03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
well i was just using that as an example anyway (sp.com i mean). And it wouldn't have to be all of the tickets, but similar to what pearl jam does with their ten club. I don't PLAN on paying a scalper, but sometimes people just don't get them fast enough. Scalpers jump on that shit. Especially if it's some special deal like these era shows will be (assuming they'll even really happen). Weren't people paying tons of money for the metro show in 2000? I can see these ending up the same; people paying lots of money, people traveling hoping to get in and then can't because it's sold out, thanks in part to our lovely scalper friends... man i hate scalpers.

hey look at you and your green stars.

redbreegull
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
They stopped scalpers at the Zeitgeist release party (maybe at the residencies too?) by IDing so that you could pick up your ticket at the door. If you weren't the purchaser you could not get your tickets. Of course it didn't eliminate scalping, but it actually forced dirt bag scalpers to go to the concert, which was probably a deterrent. Their guest was not allowed in if the purchaser did not enter also.

redbreegull
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
PS: Anyone who scalps tickets should be drug into the street and beat bloody by an angry mob armed with garden implements and baseball bats.

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
miley cyrus

flyfire
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm using my $600 Bush tax thing. Don't you have kids? You get more for that. They can finally pull their weight and send you to see Jimmeh and the B0llster.

$900AU? Wat dat's like 20 bux American rite? lol....

is what I used to be able to say.

haha your $ is in freefall - it's about USD 835. Still tickets from the April SP shows are $99, for venues seating a few thousand

skipgo
03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
PS: Anyone who scalps tickets should be drug into the street and beat bloody by an angry mob armed with garden implements and baseball bats.

yes!

seign
03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
On the one hand, I think these "era" shows are a great idea and a nice treat to the fans that weren't around during those times. On the other hand, this probably means no new material for a while. A couple years at least. I guess I'm probably one of the few around here that would prefer new material over Gish/SD/MellonCollie unreleased/unheard stuff.

ciGarski
03-04-2008, 10:55 PM
On the one hand, I think these "era" shows are a great idea and a nice treat to the fans that weren't around during those times. On the other hand, this probably means no new material for a while. A couple years at least. I guess I'm probably one of the few around here that would prefer new material over Gish/SD/MellonCollie unreleased/unheard stuff.

didn't that guys post say that corgan was working on new material?

i think if people are posting regularly on this board, and if they're honest with themselves they want new material too, because whether or not they've been disappointed with the current output, or just indifferent they still see potential

nanowerx
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
pre-Gish material, eh?

A remastered Nothing and Everything released on disc would be golden

brillo998
03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
well i was just using that as an example anyway (sp.com i mean). And it wouldn't have to be all of the tickets, but similar to what pearl jam does with their ten club. I don't PLAN on paying a scalper, but sometimes people just don't get them fast enough. Scalpers jump on that shit. Especially if it's some special deal like these era shows will be (assuming they'll even really happen). Weren't people paying tons of money for the metro show in 2000? I can see these ending up the same; people paying lots of money, people traveling hoping to get in and then can't because it's sold out, thanks in part to our lovely scalper friends... man i hate scalpers.

hey look at you and your green stars.

no one likes the pumpkins anymore, remember? id say the tickets will be $300 on ebay, tops. maybe if it were a mcis or sd era tour tickets would be a little higher.
ill be saving my money to hear speed at the mcis show.

stumpycat
03-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Well you should have seen some of the ridiculously inflated prices scalpers were trying to sell tickets for on this past North American tour (presumably before they knew/learned any better.)

Briansteez
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I think that the best thing Billy could do would be to release some live recordings from each era. Hopefully they have an archive of perfect SBD copies of all their lives shows. Billy could put out 1 or 2 shows that were the best from each era and make a killing. I know I would buy them all. The culmination of it all being a perfect SBD of the 12/2 "last" chicago show. I don't need the DVD. Just give me the perfect recording! Not to highjack the torrent but we should send a list of the best shows from each era that the bad could release. Just a thought...