View Full Version : Songs that need to be dropped

Pizza Club
02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Either because we've heard them a million times, the arrangement sucks, or the song sucks.

Voted for BWBW because the arrangement sucks and it hasn't been interesting in almost 10 years.

WalkingStrayz
02-28-2008, 09:51 AM
def bwbw

retardovat
02-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I wish there was an "all of the above" option. Barring one show in '98 I've heard Cherub Rock at every Pumpkins gig I've been to.

jimmy drevpile
02-28-2008, 10:39 AM
BWBW and Daydream

Kahlo
02-28-2008, 10:42 AM
should have been multiple choice... Cash Car Star shouldn't be on the list

Tonight Tonight & Today should

milandejong
02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Just stop playing

Cool As Ice Cream
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
that's the way
wound

Kahlo
02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm still unsure of Daydream...I wish it wasn't so muddy.. the MBV vibe is just annoying

Spaldz
02-28-2008, 10:54 AM
United States
Daydream
Cash Car Star covers
I Don't Mind
The Rose March
My Blue Heaven
Lily (due to backing vocals) Moooove

aldango
02-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Superchrist...

Kahlo
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I quite enjoy Superchrist live...but I can see why many don't. The 2007 tour version seemed pointless

Pizza Club
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Cash Car Star shouldn't be on the list
Tonight Tonight & Today should

I'm sorry, but the new version is terrible and all the covers thrown in make in long and terrible.

Tonight Tonight and Today weren't included because there's a reasonable expectation to play the "hits" but BWBW is just boring and Cherub Rock has been played more than any other song in the band's history (that's just a guess.)

the sellout
02-28-2008, 11:24 AM
That whole Crash Car Star --> Wound --> Daydream mess is terrible. They are all great songs, but the arrangement is fucking awful

NothingSafe
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
That whole Crash Car Star --> Wound --> Daydream mess is terrible. They are all great songs, but the arrangement is fucking awful

I agree with this; they shouldn't drop with BWBW and Tonight, Tonight, those are classics and a lot of people attend the concerts just to hear those songs.

Slurpee
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
BWBW no longer interests me. The only live version I enjoy now is the Adore era.

The problem with BWBW is that it is not a classic song, it's just an "era" song that reminds people of 1996.

Eulogy
02-28-2008, 01:21 PM
BWBW no longer interests me. The only live version I enjoy now is the Adore era.

The problem with BWBW is that it is not a classic song, it's just an "era" song that reminds people of 1996.

exactly.

tcm
02-28-2008, 01:22 PM
would be cool if they worked Bullet into Cash Car Stew.

NothingSafe
02-28-2008, 04:01 PM

Ok true, an era song, but you know what I mean, it's a classic in the sense that this song made SP so famous, popular etc.

It's pretty timeless from an objective point of view, therefore, I called it classic.

Anyone agree?

ps: ruby must return

Chuck=Zero
02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
United States: a not-so-good song that's way too long. The whole break in the song where Billy just shows off and does the Hendrix/Star Spangled Banner ripoff just annoys/alienates the majority of the audience (I'm sure the fans overseas love the whole Star Spangled Banner thing :rolleyes:). Not to mention Billy screaming "Revolution, Revolution!" in front of a standing-still audience just looks silly when you're there; the song might've worked back in say, '96, when the Pumpkins were somethin' big and audiences were more lively.

Along with that I'd throw in Superchrist, Cash Car Star with all its covers (again, just wastin' the audience's fuckin' time) and Heavy Metal Machine (I don't know if they've been playing it lately). Having to go to a show and listen to SC, CCS, and US (what they're doin' now), or US, HMM, and SC (what they did in the States) in the same show fuckin' sucks.

mojo
02-28-2008, 08:44 PM

too true - the quiet/loud dynamic sounds generic in a very unPumpkins way and the chorus is even more cringeworthy now than it was then. (not to mention being sung by a middle aged bald man.) zero, MCIS's other heavy single, has dated much better.

ameyer
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM
How about losing all the following:
Bring the Light, Superchrist. Come On Let's Go, BWBW. Lily, The Rose March, 1979, My Blue Heaven, Crap Car Star, Daydream, Wound, and US.
Wouldn't hurt them to drop Tarantula once in a while, I believe it's the only song SP2's played in every concert.

kingy
02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
They need to replace Come On (Lets Go) with a better Zeitgeist song, Starz, Doomsday Clock or 7SOB would all work better.

The Melty Man
02-29-2008, 12:34 AM
They should re-tool BWBW into an electro-synth song without drums. That would be cool.

Rommy
02-29-2008, 03:21 AM
stop playing cherub rock???? wtf?? so ungrateful.... Go and find something else to moan about.

LightCurves
02-29-2008, 07:22 AM
United States: a not-so-good song that's way too long. The whole break in the song where Billy just shows off and does the Hendrix/Star Spangled Banner ripoff just annoys/alienates the majority of the audience (I'm sure the fans overseas love the whole Star Spangled Banner thing :rolleyes:). Not to mention Billy screaming "Revolution, Revolution!" in front of a standing-still audience just looks silly when you're there; the song might've worked back in say, '96, when the Pumpkins were somethin' big and audiences were more lively.

Along with that I'd throw in Superchrist, Cash Car Star with all its covers (again, just wastin' the audience's fuckin' time) and Heavy Metal Machine (I don't know if they've been playing it lately). Having to go to a show and listen to SC, CCS, and US (what they're doin' now), or US, HMM, and SC (what they did in the States) in the same show fuckin' sucks.

annoying the audience is good. they should take chances and not become a greatest hits jukebox. united states & superchrist were the highlights of the show in munich for me. these are songs that represent their arty side along with porcelina f.e.

tolchok
02-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi Billy, I've had a play around with the setlist and made a few changes, nothing too drastic. I hope you'll be playing these by the time you make it down to NZ/Oz. Trust me, this will go down better with the crowd and they'll be more into it, which ultimately will be good for your ego. We all win!

01 Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
02 Behold! The Night Mare
03 Doomsday Clock (Swap Bring the Light for this - at least it's a bit better)
04 Tonight, Tonight
05 Mayonaise
06 Try, Try, Try
07 Starla (Instead of Superchrist. If you're going to play a really long song, play a good one, a b-side for the fans that would actually work live)
08 Zero ((Come On) Let's Go is one of the worst songs on Zeitgeist, swap it for Zero)
09 Muzzle (If you thought Stellar was any good, you would have put it on Zeitgeist, swap it for Muzzle)
10 Perfect
11 Thirty-Three (Lily's good, but live? Play 33 instead, would go nicely next to acoustic Perfect)
12 The Rose March (I'll give you this , it's from your latest EP, fair enough)
13 Today
14 Tarantula
15 Stand Inside Your Love
16 Ava Adore
17 Drown
18 Bullet With Butterfly Wings
19 1979
20 That's The Way (My Love Is)
21 Disarm (I really like My Blue Heaven, but seriously, give some hits so you don't bore the casual fans)
22 The Everlasting Gaze
23 Cash Car Star (Without all the bullshit)
24 Daydream
25 Siva (Drop Wound, play Siva - seriously, 4 Machina songs and only 1 from Gish? This would make a nice little 1-2 Gish punch)
26 United States (I'll give you this moment of self indulgence, if you drop Superchrist and the long CCS, it would be ok. Feel free to swap for Silverfuck whenever you like though.)

27 Cherub Rock (I know a lot of people say they've heard this heaps, but seriously, it's a great song and you should be closing with something people know if you want to end on a high note.)

Cool As Ice Cream
02-29-2008, 08:06 AM
21 Disarm (I really like My Blue Heaven, but seriously, give some hits so you don't bore the casual fans)

hahaha. have you looked at the number of singles/hits that are in your setlist? "give some hits so you don't bore the casual fans"? give me a break.

anyway, billy just called me and he says fuck you i'll do what i want you don't have to come to my shows fucko.

tolchok
02-29-2008, 09:08 AM
hahaha. have you looked at the number of singles/hits that are in your setlist? "give some hits so you don't bore the casual fans"? give me a break.

anyway, billy just called me and he says fuck you i'll do what i want you don't have to come to my shows fucko.

When I say hits I mean actual hits, not all of their singles are proper hits (eg Adore & Machina). The songs casual fans want to hear is Cherub, Today, Disarm, BWBW, 1979, Zero, Tonight, Tonight - that's pretty much it. Only 7 songs. Most people don't give a fuck about everything else. Maybe Billy might say fuck off, but if he's trying to play arenas then he's obviously expecting casual fans to come along and if half of the venue is going to be casual fans then you need to provide for them, otherwise they'll get bored which ruins the vibe for the hard core fans that are there. Which is pretty much what everyone is saying is happening. There is plenty of stuff in the setlist I posted that would appeal to hardcore fans (of which I am one). If he wants to play whatever he wants then play smaller venues, it'd be fine with me.

Duke
02-29-2008, 09:23 AM
When I say hits I mean actual hits, not all of their singles are proper hits (eg Adore & Machina). The songs casual fans want to hear is Cherub, Today, Disarm, BWBW, 1979, Zero, Tonight, Tonight - that's pretty much it. Only 7 songs. Most people don't give a fuck about everything else. Maybe Billy might say fuck off, but if he's trying to play arenas then he's obviously expecting casual fans to come along and if half of the venue is going to be casual fans then you need to provide for them, otherwise they'll get bored which ruins the vibe for the hard core fans that are there. Which is pretty much what everyone is saying is happening. There is plenty of stuff in the setlist I posted that would appeal to hardcore fans (of which I am one). If he wants to play whatever he wants then play smaller venues, it'd be fine with me.

Most of their singles are proper hits. Ava Adore and Perfect were hits as well as Stand Inside your love. All of them got alot of radio play here. Your setlist is more than half hits which would qualify it as a greatest hits show. I understand trying to reach out to the lowest common denominator, but that's too much.

Slurpee
02-29-2008, 11:13 AM
zero, MCIS's other heavy single, has dated much better.

It's strange but true... Zero never gets old. I think that's because it, like most of MCIS, avoided being poppy or trite, two things which BWBW were definitely aiming for.

To call BWBW "timeless" is to call Crystal Pepsi "timeless"... i.e. it's rapidly becoming a timeless joke.

Caine Walker
02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
HI BILLY!!!!

NothingSafe
02-29-2008, 12:26 PM
It's strange but true... Zero never gets old. I think that's because it, like most of MCIS, avoided being poppy or trite, two things which BWBW were definitely aiming for.

To call BWBW "timeless" is to call Crystal Pepsi "timeless"... i.e. it's rapidly becoming a timeless joke.

hmm, if it isn't timeless then how come everyone still knows it and radio stations still play it and young kids also have heard of it?

Kahlo
02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
the one that goes

"despite all my rage na na na na na na na na rat in a cage"

mojo
02-29-2008, 12:38 PM
When I say hits I mean actual hits, not all of their singles are proper hits (eg Adore & Machina). The songs casual fans want to hear is Cherub, Today, Disarm, BWBW, 1979, Zero, Tonight, Tonight - that's pretty much it. .

Surely you've forgotten Crestfallen.

Pizza Club
02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
I like BWBW on the album and the '96 and '98 versions. It's the present one (and '00) that doesn't do anything for me.

I mean come on, he says he is full of rage in the lyrics. I'm tired of it being half-assed.

tolchok
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Surely you've forgotten Crestfallen.

No, I hadn't. I like the song, but if I asked any of the casual fans I know about it they wouldn't know/care. Last time I checked it wasn't on the "Greatest Hits" album.

tolchok
02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Most of their singles are proper hits. Ava Adore and Perfect were hits as well as Stand Inside your love. All of them got alot of radio play here. Your setlist is more than half hits which would qualify it as a greatest hits show. I understand trying to reach out to the lowest common denominator, but that's too much.

I still don't think most casual fans would care too much about those songs you've listed, not the ones I know anyway, and they are all going to the shows here in New Zealand. I think my main point is that if they're playing arenas then they really should be choosing their set knowing that there will be a lot of casual fans there and half of the set being 'hits' would I think be a good balance. I've seen a lot of bands play what I would consider a greatest hits set, and most of the time 80% of the set has been 'hits/singles. I reckon a 50/50 split of hits and songs for the fans/songs the band really likes playing is actually pretty fair.

If the band don't want to play that many hits, that's fine, but expecting 12,000 people to turn up is a bit rough. Play smaller venues.

I'd concede also that in Europe, the UK, and the US maybe it's a fair call for them not to play some of these songs since they've played there so many times before, but when they come to NZ, where they have only ever played 5 shows (the last ones being in 1996) most people at the shows will have never seen them before so I think it's probably fair to give a bit more of a retrospective performance.

mojo
02-29-2008, 06:35 PM
No, I hadn't. I like the song, but if I asked any of the casual fans I know about it they wouldn't know/care. Last time I checked it wasn't on the "Greatest Hits" album.

i was kidding.

croPUMPKINS
02-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Firstly, I understand that we don't all share same taste, though, why do so many of you take it for granted that everyone hates extended live version of USA!?
I personaly think that is one of the highlights on the reunion tour.
Led Zeppelin had songs ie. Stairway that lasted well over 10min live and nobody complained. GNR had songs on the UYI tour that lasted well over 10 min and nobody complained over it.
How long is Shine on and some other Pink Floyd classics and exactly for that reason ppl thought they were precious.
You don't like it? Fine. Don't spoil it for everyone else. I like it as it is and it should stay the way it is, as far as I am considered!

What songs would you like on the future tours?
I'd like to see Once upon a time, Tear, 33 (electrical), Beautiful, Rocket...
Also, would be nice to see Ava Adore between the original version and the current version. Somewhat slower than the current. However, keep it on the set in whatever way!

tolchok
02-29-2008, 10:11 PM
i was kidding.

Ha ha, sorry. :blush: I hate how you can't tell tone in written messages.

Gish08
02-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Neverlost.

Pizza Club
03-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Neverlost.

Yeah, they really don't play it all the much in the first place....

Slurpee
03-01-2008, 03:08 AM
hmm, if it isn't timeless then how come everyone still knows it and radio stations still play it and young kids also have heard of it?

By this test "Living on a Prayer" is also timeless.

We all know there is a difference between "Tonight, Tonight" and "Living on a Prayer".

Ralf_Ball
03-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I actually dont want any dropped.
i love them all actually.

mojo
03-01-2008, 08:06 PM
By this test "Living on a Prayer" is also timeless.

We all know there is a difference between "Tonight, Tonight" and "Living on a Prayer".

Come on guys LOAP is a fucking stone cold poodle metal classic and there's no fucking "g" in it, either.

Slurpee
03-01-2008, 09:03 PM
poodle me<i></i>tal

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=15826926

redbull
03-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Come on guys LOAP is a fucking stone cold poodle metal classic and there's no fucking "g" in it, either.

seriously, fuck you guys for not liking that song

antiskum
03-02-2008, 02:13 AM
i like BWBW, its not a song i listen to much anymore, but at a concert, it'd be great to hear

but i'd much rather BWBW being cut from the setlist than zero

Pizza Club
03-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I actually dont want any dropped.
i love them all actually.

Get a load of this guy.

nagroc
03-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Firstly, I understand that we don't all share same taste, though, why do so many of you take it for granted that everyone hates extended live version of USA!?
I personaly think that is one of the highlights on the reunion tour.
Led Zeppelin had songs ie. Stairway that lasted well over 10min live and nobody complained. GNR had songs on the UYI tour that lasted well over 10 min and nobody complained over it.
How long is Shine on and some other Pink Floyd classics and exactly for that reason ppl thought they were precious.
You don't like it? Fine. Don't spoil it for everyone else. I like it as it is and it should stay the way it is, as far as I am considered!

Also, would be nice to see Ava Adore between the original version and the current version. Somewhat slower than the current. However, keep it on the set in whatever way!

...I personaly don't think that usa is anywhere near the quality of stairway to heaven... shine on you crazy diamond...

Bury your gunners wannabe glam tryhard axl rose too cool for hair metal red hair

RenewRevive
03-03-2008, 09:45 AM

where to start? okay 10 songs i'd like to hear:

soma, geek usa, here is no why, fuck you, ruby, aoi, this time, home, snail, for martha.

pete
03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Daydream / Wound = woeful when played electrically

pete
03-03-2008, 01:40 PM
for martha.

amen.

pete
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
fucking JACKBOOT. Preceded by Silverfuck.