View Full Version : quote unquote "archival material"

runnersdialzero
02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
So billy says the next year is going to see the release of archival material... we will see about that. He has been talking about this since before the Slanted and Enchanted reissue from matador redefined customer appreciation.

B0lly brags about all the stuff he's sitting on, so why did Judas O sucked so big? Naturally, we would all love to hear some tracks penned back in the glory days... personally i would like to hear a cleaned up version of Methusela.

Anyways, I have a (bad) feeling i know exactly whats going to end up happening with this supposed material - offical releases of widely distributed boots, ie Gravity Demos, Reel Time Sessions and Mashed Potatoes. But hey, maybe we can send the FATCATS a message... what do YOU want to see released?

Also, which format? Box set or Special Editions

T&T
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
official spun

xyumachine
02-26-2008, 10:02 PM
official spun

Ditto. And Djali Zwan.

ToEachesOwn
02-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Adore version of Let Me Give The World To You followed closely by unreleased Zwan stuff. After the snippet from the bonus DVD, I'm still curious how the full electric version of Love Lies In Ruin sounds.

starlaluna
02-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Spun and Djali Zwan are POST pumpkins!
Did Billy mean just releasing archival Pumpkins stuff or anything goes? I got the impression he just meant Pumpkins stuff which I would be more interested in.

Cleaned up demos pre MCIS would be nice as some of those are unlistenable and I also want alt versions.
Box set for sure. No "only on Itunes" release please.

trev
02-26-2008, 10:36 PM
songs we haven't heard yet, including alternate versions of known songs (eg. jimmy on adore era material)

mpp
02-26-2008, 10:40 PM
yeah like jimmy on pug or tale of dusty

Rickpat12
02-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Adore LMGTWTY, Pale Scales, Adore tracks with Jimmy, unkown songs, more unreleased demos.

Rickpat12
02-26-2008, 10:47 PM
...oh yeah, and the fucking METRO DVD:rockon:

???
02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
his original demo of smells like teen spirit

darthjul
02-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Pale Scales. Then I can die a happy man.

deadaswarhol
02-26-2008, 11:26 PM
why would you say "quote unquote" if you were going to use quotes?

MisterSquishyHalo
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Pre MCIS shit that has never been released.

Azael
02-26-2008, 11:28 PM
personally i would like to hear a cleaned up version of Methusela.

I don't want to crush your spirits here, but I think I remember Billy mentioned losing the original demo to this song when he was asked about it (around the time it hit the net).

laaazy
02-26-2008, 11:37 PM
moonage daydream?
i voted for demos, cos tulips rocked

T&T
02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
as much as I love Machina II
it should never be officially released
never give in!

leak a high def needle drop 24bit/192khz (will settle for 96khz)

laaazy
02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
never give in!

give up already

laaazy
02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
no really this would be cool

T&T
02-26-2008, 11:45 PM
make up your mind....

T&T
02-26-2008, 11:47 PM
also
it's a know fact that jimmy listens to "reel" versions of the albums...
High Def transfers of these would also be nice

get these albums re-mastered by an OLd guy
someone not concerned with the loudness wars
how about in DVD-A or SACD

MFSL editions, or DCC...

Mariner
02-26-2008, 11:55 PM
what about if billy and jimmy got back together with james and d'arcy and tried to write and record some music and see how it went. that's the only interesting thing they can do at this point; i think we've heard almost everything else that's worth hearing. i'd be a little surprised (pleasantly of course) if billy's sitting on any high quality album-candidate studio stuff that we weren't even aware of. half-shoddy demos are whatever and live stuff is a totally different subject altogether.

runnersdialzero
02-27-2008, 12:31 AM
why would you say "quote unquote" if you were going to use quotes?

ha ya it felt weird but it looked weirder without them

I don't want to crush your spirits here, but I think I remember Billy mentioned losing the original demo to this song when he was asked about it (around the time it hit the net).

fucking ouch

redpandacat
02-27-2008, 03:26 AM
"So what sort of archive material are you going to be releasing?"

"Tons"

"Tons, so all eras yeah?"

"We own everything. So now we are out of record deals and everything, now we can do whatever we want whenever we want to do it."

"Pale Scales? Let Me Give The World To You Adore?"

"We're going to go chronologically.

"Cool"

"So at first it'll just be all the stuff before Gish. That'll take a little while and we'll just work through like that."

flyfire
02-27-2008, 03:31 AM

nice.

xyumachine
02-27-2008, 03:33 AM

"Tons"

"We own everything. So now we are out of record deals and everything, now we can do whatever we want whenever we want to do it."

"Cool"

"So at first it'll just be all the stuff before Gish. That'll take a little while and we'll just work through like that."

where is this from?

trev
02-27-2008, 06:40 AM
^your ass

trev
02-27-2008, 06:44 AM
i'd be a little surprised (pleasantly of course) if billy's sitting on any high quality album-candidate studio stuff that we weren't even aware of.
spun soundtrack
she said
tulips
adore demos II - satellites esp.

all of these had they not recently been leaked would have fit your definition, no?

i'm sure there's more.

whywontyoulistn
02-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Arising Tour footage...it was all filmed! I would kill for a DVD of the Pittsburg show.

trev
02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Arising Tour footage...it was all filmed!
you do know that every tour since SD has been pro filmed / soundboarded, including TFE?

but yes arising era would be a good choice. and i agree with the pale scales votes.

The Melty Man
02-27-2008, 07:41 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins Live Era 1998 - 2000.

The Melty Man
02-27-2008, 07:45 AM

True, Kurt couldn't have written something that lyrically and poetically fucked up. Had to have been Billy writing another one for the Courtney Love clan.

I bet in about 50 years time, it'll all come out that Billy Corgan was the creative genius behind Nirvana and Kurt, Dave and Krist were all just his puppets.... Thus making Billy the true creator of alternative rock and the most influential musician ever! MWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The New
02-27-2008, 08:51 AM
B0lly brags about all the stuff he's sitting on, so why did Judas O sucked so big?

I tend to think it was because he was so unhappy with the label that he gave them as little as he could. He'd rather wait until he owned the rights so that he's not doing them any favours. That's not doing the fans any favours though.Obviously there'd be a lot of fans from that time that would have loved to have some more of this stuff, that no longer care. It's a shame if that's what happened

ToEachesOwn
02-27-2008, 08:44 PM
I tend to think it was because he was so unhappy with the label that he gave them as little as he could. He'd rather wait until he owned the rights so that he's not doing them any favours. That's not doing the fans any favours though.Obviously there'd be a lot of fans from that time that would have loved to have some more of this stuff, that no longer care. It's a shame if that's what happened

Saturnine was a diamond in the rough from that though... other tracks like Because You Are were just rough unfortunately...

Spaceboy88
02-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Adore-era LMGTWTY, a cleaned up version of "Methusela", high-quality QaOS & Adore Demos II, final show DVD, and lastly, I'd love to see them set up some kind of archive where we could buy soundboard recordings from any show in lossless quality.

Reyngel
02-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Metro DVD. Simply because it's been seven and a half years, and I think I'd rather have something to watch than listen to right now.

T&T
02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Metro DVD for certain

put that at the top of the list
& then a MCIS live DVD
& then an Adore live DVD
& Arising DVD

runnersdialzero
02-28-2008, 01:52 PM
As much as i would like to see the metro dvd, i get the impression that billy might think it undermines the comeback... all the goodbyes and whatnot. Billy has a serious headspace when it comes to this stuff... maybe i will be wrong.

"Tons"

"Cool"

Is this real? that would make be very happy

redpandacat
02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Is this real? that would make be very happy

Yep. It's the 20 second conversation I had at the London signing.

???
02-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Yep. It's the 20 second conversation I had at the London signing.

great going man. (/woman?)

Rider
02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
never give in!

Do you really think it will sound any better?

T&T
02-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Do you really think it will sound any better?
the lyrics will be better
thats' for certain. :banging:

Spaldz
02-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Celebrity Skin (Billy on vocals)

T&T
02-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Rubber Man
Full Version!

Pastichio Medley
Full songs with lyrics!

aldango
02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
A REAL live album.

Caine Walker
02-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Celebrity Skin (Billy on vocals)

pfffft.

"when i wake up in my make up"

my buttcheeks are already clenching.

Rider
02-28-2008, 04:53 PM
the lyrics will be better
thats' for certain. :banging:

sure whatever you say.

I'maskingforit!
02-28-2008, 04:56 PM
corgan didn't write the lyrics to celebrity skin.

lmgtwty adore is the most overrated unreleased tune in their catalog.

forget about zwan

and it sounds like forget about everything past gish. you'll be lucky if he comes through with this, let alone if he makes it past "pre gish". especially if that will "take a little time"

Caine Walker
02-28-2008, 05:21 PM
corgan didn't write the lyrics to celebrity skin.

yeah, but it's still a cringe-inducing thought.

Corganist
02-28-2008, 05:54 PM

This sounds to me like we're likely going to be getting stuff like the Reel Time Sessions (electric anyway, I don't think they'd release the acoustic session in full) and other songs off the early demo tapes and things like that. Which, if you think about it, really is quite a treasure trove of all but completely unreleased material. If someone were a pretty big fan, but not a hardcore like many of us here, the release of all that stuff would be a big deal.

As for we hardcores, maybe there's some lost studio session we don't know about where they recorded stuff like Razor or I Am My End or Try to Try. But I doubt it. I think the best we can hope for is maybe the release a couple live shows from 89 or 90. I'd be more or less happy with that.

maoi
02-28-2008, 05:55 PM
heavy metal machine, versions 3 through 75

I'maskingforit!
02-28-2008, 06:00 PM
if he releases anything from the pumpkins adore era or prior, ill be happy. i think he knows whats circulating too. i hope so at least.

"here it is guys, i gave it as a present a long time ago but now you guys can hear it! its called mashed potatoes!"

"this has been online for a while billy."

"really?"

"yeah"

"gay."

trev
02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Pastichio Medley
Full songs
omg this is all i really want. if nothing else, just this.

wpc33
02-28-2008, 09:15 PM
In The Arms Of Sheep
Adore w/Jimmy
Methusela
Towers Of Rabble
and Anything we haven't already heard

loser2d
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM
You think that he will sell it or release it for free like on their website? Since they stated that they plan on doing era type shows it seems appropriate to release archival material from that era along with it. I wouldnt mind a clean audio version of the final metro show.

ChrisHill
02-28-2008, 11:46 PM
As someone already pointed out, the version of Methuselah that we have is the only one that Billy has as well, as he lost the master. I find it highly, highly doubtful that there are full versions of any of the Pastichio Medley songs in any version other than lyricless repetitive jamming, which I could care less about. I believe Billy also confirmed that there is no studio Towers of Rabble recording.

There are plenty of old soundboard shows that would be fantastic: anything pre 1991 and the Double Door shows from 2/95 immediately come to mind. In addition there are plenty of early demos that still haven't been unearthed, like <a href="http://www.spfc.org/band/studio.html?session_id=2">this session</a> (I apologize if the link doesn't work, I read this site with all scripting disabled in order to avoid the offensive and intrusive advertising).

Slurpee
02-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Metro.

Slurpee
02-29-2008, 12:20 AM
The fact that this band, the best live rock band from the 90's, has not officially released a single full concert is an outrage.

Fonzie
02-29-2008, 02:26 AM
it's hardly like we're missing out, though.

RenewRevive
02-29-2008, 09:01 AM
dvd - don't care, just one of them.

machina 2 - but so much could go wrong with this. i do not want to see what happened to the tracks that made the greatest hits cd i.e. the volume cranked to fuck and certainly don't want them to rerecord, which would likely be a disaster.

anything else locked up in the vault at Ft. Corgan would be nice too.

IWishIWasBlank
02-29-2008, 10:38 AM
What the world...

needs now...

are polls...

sweet polls...

They're the only thing that you can never have...

too little of...

I vote for all of it. I'd like to hear early demos for Heart Shaped Box and Rape Me. I think Kurt is genious.

MisterSquishyHalo
02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Soundboard Double Door would totally kill.

I'maskingforit!
02-29-2008, 04:13 PM
courtney love and corgan sex tape? or did we say that already?

zbeast78
02-29-2008, 05:24 PM
what about if billy and jimmy got back together with james and d'arcy and tried to write and record some music and see how it went. that's the only interesting thing they can do at this point; i think we've heard almost everything else that's worth hearing. i'd be a little surprised (pleasantly of course) if billy's sitting on any high quality album-candidate studio stuff that we weren't even aware of. half-shoddy demos are whatever and live stuff is a totally different subject altogether.

sorry dude, but that's obviously never gonna happen. the closest possibility is another 10 years down the road, when billy has milked this reunion to the bone... maybe when they're old, fat, and desperate for a buck they'll do a "true" pumpkins reunion on vh1 or something.

I'maskingforit!
02-29-2008, 05:25 PM
sorry dude, but that's obviously never gonna happen. the closest possibility is another 10 years down the road, when billy has milked this reunion to the bone... maybe when they're old, fat, and desperate for a buck they'll do a "true" pumpkins reunion on vh1 or something.

sorry dude but thats never gonna happen.

T&T
02-29-2008, 05:33 PM
sorry dude but thats never gonna happen.
sorry dude, that's never gonna happen

I'maskingforit!
02-29-2008, 05:35 PM
dude, thats not happening

yoshinobu's revenge
03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
some Pastichio Medley songs
anything pre-MCIS
She Says + other SD demos
LMGTWTY + or other Adore
Double Door soundboard shows
Arising! soundboard shows

I don't think he'll want to go into Zwan stuff because he has such bad feelings about how that all turned out, but who knows.

ChrisHill
03-02-2008, 09:26 PM
In one of the threads on the tour forum there is a guy who claims to have talked to Billy and Jimmy on a plane flight and asked them about the archival material. As usual take everything you read on this site with copious salt, but the thread is <a href="http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=157337">here</a>.

darthjul
03-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Just want to throw my hat into the "Dude. Never gunna happen" ring. I see a band wagon, I climb aboard.

New Art Rioter
03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I would of thought that royalties would have to be paid to James and Darcy regarding the release of any material they played on. I can't see that happening...

kingy
03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I would of thought that royalties would have to be paid to James and Darcy regarding the release of any material they played on. I can't see that happening...

If he does have to pay them royalties I don't see him begrudging them the few cents per sale. He stands to make more money than either of them seeing as he wrote as well as played on the majority of the material.

AveryLoren
03-10-2008, 02:46 AM
songs we haven't heard yet, including alternate versions of known songs (eg. jimmy on adore era material)

Jimmy on adore? Does this actually exist?

Spaldz
03-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Some SBD recordings would be mighty awesome..as long as he doesn't release them solely in mp3 and releases lossless versions

The Gaddrow
03-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Jimmy on adore? Does this actually exist?

No, it does not, though they rehearsed a host of Adore tracks prior to the Arising! tour and I know they have rehearsed more in the years since.

I don't know why people keep on about it.

Endless Whining
03-10-2008, 07:14 AM
i agree - a fully mixed version of Adore with JC on drums doesn't seem to be too likely to exist.
however - JC told me himself they ran through the entire album upon his return during rehearsels. it's pretty likely there are some kind of recordings from these rehearsels as they recorded almost all and everything since around 96; so it would seem there might be rough stuff (Gravity style) with JC drumming but not a fully mixed release worthy album of Adore ft JC. Nonetheless it could ******* some cool stuff with JC trying to find his way to work his style of playing into the neatly programmed drum machine tracks. Wait and see...

IWishIWasBlank
03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
More archived photos of D'arcy's boobs.

(This ought to wake up some desperate teens' hormones.)

werideatdusk
03-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I remember when I first heard the Adore with Jimmy rumor back in 2001 or 2002 I thought it was a stupid-ass idea. I still kinda do, because "Adore" is such a 180 from the Jimmy-backed Pumpkins sound, that it doesnt really make sense to ******* him because the songs came from a very different place. Not to mention I love the delicacy and extremely unique soundscape of Adore.

That said, it'd be interesting to hear. But not, generally, a good idea.

Except "Pug" with Jimmy.

moogle
03-11-2008, 06:35 AM
I only want one of these dvd's

- "final" metro show
- Grand rex, Den Atelier or Ancienne belgique
- Madrid Secret show
- A Fillmore compilation

Anvil Hands
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
what the hell is on the adore II demos ?

it would be nice to have some good quality live shows released.

As good as some of them are I am sick of listening to bootlegs.

emotionalfriend
03-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty certain that "Translucent" will probably see a proper release, given it's resurrection during the residencies. that is, of course, if any of this actually happens (which it probably won't)

Fonzie
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
what the hell is on the adore II demos ?

it would be nice to have some good quality live shows released.

As good as some of them are I am sick of listening to bootlegs.

stuff like Satellites, Joy, Jersey Shore, Valentine, etc etc.

Reyngel
03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Why do people keep saying that there's an Adore recording with Jimmy? I thought it was confirmed years ago that it was misunderstood. There was never a recording. It was just open practicing and rehearsing with Jimmy as he played all sorts of songs, including a lot of Adore. During these rehearsals, there were new takes on Adore songs, like Appels + Oranjes, bur no tape recorder.

SquashinPumpkin
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Why do people keep saying that there's an Adore recording with Jimmy? I thought it was confirmed years ago that it was misunderstood. There was never a recording. It was just open practicing and rehearsing with Jimmy as he played all sorts of songs, including a lot of Adore. During these rehearsals, there were new takes on Adore songs, like Appels + Oranjes, bur no tape recorder.

Appels + Oranjes is probably my single least favorite SP song. Next to Raindrops + Sunshowers....

I guess I hate addition signs.

R+S continues to grow on me, but A+O just grinds my nerves "what if, what if, what if"

The Gaddrow
03-11-2008, 10:51 PM

This is correct, except that it was recorded.

runnersdialzero
03-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Appels + Oranjes is probably my single least favorite SP song. Next to Raindrops + Sunshowers....

I guess I hate addition signs.

R+S continues to grow on me, but A+O just grinds my nerves "what if, what if, what if"

Same here, except its A+O that grows on me... R+S has always been my most hated SP track. Though its a pretty close tie with several other machina tracks.

Jimmy on adore strikes me as the "ultimate" SP collectors item, though i can understand the concern of purists thinking its contrary to the framework of the album... the slower atmospheric tracks would not benefit but i would love to hear Ava Adore as a pure rock track.

nothing is quite so fun as a band that records multiple versions of the same song, and a song that can handle different treatments is usually a classic