View Full Version : theory

somaziro
02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Here is my theory on why we have seen/heard the pumpkins play over 70+ different songs the past year.

1) This is it for Billy, after Zwan and his solo record (and all the failed other things, metro dvd, djali zwan cd, chicago songs cd etc) the reincarnated pumpkins are probably his last shot at actually mattering in the music world and being relevant and/or loved by his fans etc.

2) Because of (1) Billy knows he is going to have to bust his ass, so he has to work hard - and being familiar and up to date on the singing and playing of over 70+ songs is a shit ton of work in and of itself. So we know Billy is working hard, not just slumming with the same 20 - 30 songs like on almost all tours he has ever been on.

3) Jeff and Ginger have something to prove. They are trying to earn spots probably in the pumpkins officially and not just touring musicians so they have to bust their asses and learn as many songs as they possibly can to impress Billy.

4) Jeff and Ginger are noobs to famous music scene. They have not been famous before like James and D'arcy who could get away with saying they don't want to relearn any different songs and stick to the same 30 songs for a tour. Since they are not jaded and they are probably more than happy to continue to learn new songs and work hard.

5) Because of (1) Billy really has to connect with his fans and he may not feel like he knows what he needs to play to please the die hards and the noob fans so that is why there has been such a large song selection - to figure out what goes well with the crowd and what doesnt (remember that interview when Billy said he was surprised that 7 shades didnt go over well or whatever)

6) Also because of (1) Billy may feel like he needs to change the set list from venue to venue to try and encourage people to see multiple shows (ie see philly etc)

anyway, all in all, I think the above together make going to see the pumpkins a fun experience and allow for varied set lists and technical prowess on all parts (because of the exhaustive practicing)

suncrashesdown
02-01-2008, 01:53 PM
lol wut

Irridescent Fairysex
02-01-2008, 02:12 PM
I agree 100%

RoCk On!

xezton
02-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Now if only Zeitgeist could have been better.. :(

Mr. Mister
02-01-2008, 02:20 PM
5) Because of (1) Billy really has to connect with his fans and he may not feel like he knows what he needs to play to please the die hards and the noob fans so that is why there has been such a large song selection - to figure out what goes well with the crowd and what doesnt (remember that interview when Billy said he was surprised that 7 shades didnt go over well or whatever)

When did he say that? I thought it was a highlight of the Grand Rex show.

If Bill wants to please die hards and noobs alike he should allow himself to emote vocally on his albums. Then, even if the words are par with other questionable Pumpkin lyrics, the feel will be the same. The band rocks. The music, their chops, Jimmy, everything. Having seen them twice in person last tour and having listened to countless shows over the years, I am convinced the band is really in top-form musically. They're on the cusp of creating GREAT tunes again, all that's missing in the emotion in Bill's voice. He has the emotion live, but it's so obviously missing in AG and Z. I am SUPER HAPPY, however, that they are playing Crash Car Star. On of the best songs he's written MCIS (though I greatly miss James' weird guitar slides).

Phoenix Down
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
When did he say that? I thought it was a highlight of the Grand Rex show.

Only that it wasn't played at the Grand Rex.

Forgotten Child
02-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree 0%

i_adore_adore
02-01-2008, 05:02 PM
I think a lot of it is Billy being excited about playing Pumpkins again.

slunken
02-01-2008, 05:29 PM
there's some truth to the fact that billy can't put together an amazing grouping of songs anymore... i also think he's out of touch. which is why we're seeing such extensive and varied setlists - not to mention the tour itself; its been a big one. if one were to look at it all as training...

???
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
where's the theory in this exactly

those assertions are all pretty obvious

mayday
02-01-2008, 05:39 PM
My feeling is that if Billy Corgan were more honest with himself and what he truly feels he'd be able to write music again. my feeling is is that he really needs to connect with his truest spiritual self and stick by that whatever it is and love it, regardless of what other people believe or what he thinks other people will like or get lost in. he likes the "get lost in me" thing. which is silly because i know his truest self is interesting enough for people to be interested in him without having to do that.

this doesn't mean he has to push people out at the same time as declaring himself an individual. he could experience other people for who they are and they could experience him for who he is as an individual. it will take practice. i think he's uncomfortable standing up for himself as an individual person in his truest form to his own self. until he does this he will be swept away in other people or uable to share himself with others or both. And it possible that he will never declare himself to himself, which would be very unfortunate .

skipgo
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
i also think he's out of touch.
yes.

Phoenix Down
02-01-2008, 05:43 PM
i think he's afraid to stand up for himself as an individual person.

What? Are you serious?

goddamnit my 2500th post is a reply to mayday

mayday
02-01-2008, 05:48 PM
yeah i really think hard work can only go so far. if you dont have self acceptance and love for your own self it doesn't matter how many songs you write, how many prizes you win, how many people scream your name. the only thing that can make what you truely are truly beautiful is by loving yourself and then sharing your happiness with others.

mayday
02-01-2008, 05:48 PM
so while i think he has the "hard work part" down pat, he just needs to nuture and love himself more..

tcm
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
[shaking head, walking away]