View Full Version : I like D'arcy Doing Backup Vocals, and They Should Have Done This More Often

MistaMista1
01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
I think Billy and D'arcy's voices work really well together. I would've liked if they melded them more often, gone for kind of a My Bloody Valentine/Pixies vibe.

This quote from Mellon Collie's wikipedia article bothers me.

"Bassist D'arcy Wretzky recorded numerous backup vocal parts which were all cut, except those recorded for 'Beautiful.' "

That Corgan/Wretzky combo works well in places:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QaW_l4Vyuys&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QaW_l4Vyuys&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

wHATcOLOR
01-29-2008, 12:18 PM
rememeber those vids from 1998 where she mouthed the words in these very bizarre, over-exaggerated ways? man, that was annoying

decatense
01-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah I really liked her backup vocals. The odd mouthing was weird later. That one video from 1996 in Dusseldorf though.. she sounded really bad on one song. I think it was Zero? the "sheee's the one for meee" part.

Mariner
01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
rememeber those vids from 1998 where she mouthed the words in these very bizarre, over-exaggerated ways? man, that was annoying

yeah by that time she'd quit caring and was actively trying to piss billy off. there's some live performance from the adore era where she really goes overboard with the bad vocals and the crazy mouthing and her and billy are just firing death glares back and forth at each other for the rest of the song.

but yeah i pretty much agree with the original sentiment of this thread. when she bothered to try d'arcy had a decent voice. more importantly, d'arcy's and billy's voices went really, really well together. the way they sound in 'beautiful' and 'farewell & goodnite' and especially on 'dreaming' is just fantastic. there was a tremendous potential there had they done a little work on singing together (both in the studio and live).

redchandelier
01-29-2008, 01:33 PM

I'm afraid that shit started before that and yeah I agree it's annoying

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qgyaf2GKYao&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qgyaf2GKYao&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

.... but yeah I agree I think D'arcy's and Billy' voices complement each other very well

drossbullet
01-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry, but billy's clashing purple pants so do not go with his 666 shirt.

Gish08
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
darcy did what she did but her time in the band has come and gone.

if any original member comes back it should be james. jeff is awesome though

drossbullet
01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
darcy did what she did but her time in the band has come and gone.

if any original member comes back it should be james. jeff is awesome though

I have to agree with you. He seems to be a "James 2.0", though. His actions and speech are like so James. I look back and think, 'man, they were all a clashing company, but it was funny'. I also need to stop using the word "clash". It's like clashing with my clashitude.

Gish08
01-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Honestly, Jeff seems to be way more into his guitar playing than James.

I seriously think, especially towards the end of "SP 1.0", James intentionally fucked up his guitar parts on stage because he didn't care anymore.

Pizza Club
01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
For anyone that thinks D'arcy's vocals did anything good for the band: I refer you to the ALD recording of 12/16/96.

Also, I believe you are incorrect.

Pheeew
01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Lisa & Ginger's backup vocals are way better than D'Arcy's

Pheeew
01-29-2008, 10:36 PM
http://www.my-mistake.net/infinitepics/darcy/darcy176.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mariner
01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Lisa & Ginger's backup vocals are way better than D'Arcy's

they're technically much better. that combined with the nature of ginger and lisa's voices makes live sp songs these days sound like contemporary church services.

yoshinobu's revenge
01-29-2008, 10:52 PM
i also really like D'arcy's backup vocals.

Corganist
01-29-2008, 10:55 PM
For anyone that thinks D'arcy's vocals did anything good for the band: I refer you to the ALD recording of 12/16/96.

Or alternatively, the Metro shows from '92 where they played "Daydream" live.

As far as Billy's female backup vocalists in live shows go, it's: Darcy < Paz < Strawberry < Ginger/Lisa

JRiordan
01-30-2008, 12:12 AM
I have heard very little Ginger/Lisa vocals that I like. Mostly they are very annoying. Their combined efforts (mostly Lisa though I think) on Bleeding the Orchid remove any edge or toughness from the song. Also their "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"-ing on songs like Tarantula has the same effect. They may have better voices than D'Arcy, but they are using them in all the wrong places.

Disarmu
01-30-2008, 07:46 AM
D'arcy vocals remind me of sounds animals make while getting castrated..Facial expressions would probavly match too... Cant listen to some of the live stuff from the adore era because of her out of tune squelling...Purrrrrrfuuuueeeeccccttt... ughhh..

IWishIWasBlank
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
I liked D'arcy. I always took the backups with a grain of salt. She's the only female backup in the band (at the time.) Go with what you got.

Ol' Couch Ass
01-31-2008, 06:34 AM
Their combined efforts (mostly Lisa though I think) on Bleeding the Orchid remove any edge or toughness from the song.

lol. I don't think any of the new songs are too tough to start with man.

muzzled4life
02-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Theres only a couple of versions of "Farewell Goodnight" with D'arcy singing alone, followed or prefixed by James singing alone, eventually supplemented by Billy and its 'beautiful'. Sends shivers down my spine when I hear it. Almost makes me cry.

million_watts
02-01-2008, 05:22 AM
D'arcy vocals remind me of sounds animals make while getting castrated..Facial expressions would probavly match too... Cant listen to some of the live stuff from the adore era because of her out of tune squelling...Purrrrrrfuuuueeeeccccttt... ughhh..
brothers in mind

Rocket Launcher
02-01-2008, 07:21 AM
D'arcy'S backing vocals in Beautiful as in Cherub Rock are heavenly. BUt I also wouldn't say she has a superior voice...especially live it's often not too good

Kahlo
02-01-2008, 07:41 AM
D'arcy'S backing vocals in Beautiful as in Cherub Rock are heavenly. BUt I also wouldn't say she has a superior voice...especially live it's often not too good

thread in miniature

loser2d
02-04-2008, 02:15 AM
imagine how she would do her face if she would try to harmonize with billiy like the rose march.
By the way lisa and ginger sound amazing in Lily.

caroline
02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
imagine how she would do her face if she would try to harmonize with billiy like the rose march.
By the way lisa and ginger sound amazing in Lily.
Is there a version we can hear online?

I always thought D'arcy and Billy's voiced blended well. She sounded good when she wanted to. She sounded great on "Four Leaf Clover".

Mariner
02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I always thought D'arcy and Billy's voiced blended well. She sounded good when she wanted to. She sounded great on "Four Leaf Clover".

exactly. her shitty backups usually seemed to be a product of her trying to piss billy off.

slunken
02-04-2008, 10:31 AM

NO WAI! I thought that was awesome! She was putting more emphasis on the sounds as opposed to the words. I like her backups way better than Ginger's.