'American Gothic'
Print this
Send a letter to the editor about this
digg this
Share this on Facebook
Add this to del.icio.us
Reviewed by Rich Coleman
Collegian Staff Writer

Third time's a charm. Hopefully that will be the case for the revived Smashing Pumpkins.

In July 2007, Billy Corgan and his Smashing Pumpkins made their not-so-exciting comeback with the release of Zeitgeist, a bland list of yawn-inducing hard rock numbers that tried too hard to sound dark and scary in fear of being labeled irrelevant.

On American Gothic, Corgan ditches the dark hard rock riffs for acoustic strum sessions with organ flavoring and a pinch of whimpering electric guitars. Cooking analogies aside, the EP is 17 minutes of the the softer side of the Smashing Pumpkin's successful formula once responsible for their biggest hits, like "1979."

The record starts out with "The Rose Parade," which features a quiet acoustic guitar riff that sets the tone for the album. Corgan's vocal ability is on mark, but the static instrumentation is the record's downfall. None of these songs are bad in any sense; what they lack is variety. If Zeitgeist was too gruff and unimaginative, then consider American Gothic to lack balls and be too self-indulgent.

Instead of combining the dark and light of the Pumpkins' sound, Corgan bathes in the light before wrapping it up in a nice iTunes-only exclusive package -- which speaks volumes about the band's maturing process, by the way. For example, the addition of an electric guitar would turn "Pox" into a rocking Smashing Pumpkins song, instead of a weak Stone Temple Pilots audition.

As a separate four-track release, this hardly surpasses a generic threshold. Logic might tell Smashing Pumpkins fans that if Zeitgeist is too hard and American Gothic is too soft, then maybe the third time will, in fact, be a charm. The Pumpkins are long overdue for one of those.

Grade: C

i_adore_adore
01-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Corgan's vocal ability is on mark, but the static instrumentation is the record's downfall.

Exact opposite of truth.

DoomsdayRocket
01-26-2008, 04:34 PM
the truth is...
out there

DeviousJ
01-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Rose Parade is a much better song

Mariner
01-26-2008, 07:01 PM
WHEN I WAS A YOUNG GIRL
MY MOTHER TOOK ME INTO THE CITY

redbull
01-26-2008, 07:52 PM
WHEN I WAS A YOUNG BOY
MY FATHER TOLD ME SON

wHATcOLOR
01-26-2008, 11:21 PM
ROSE ON PARADE!!

*binowww ni-ninnowwww*
*binowww ni-ninnowwww*

ROSE ON PARADE!!!

*binowww ni-ninnowwww*
*binowww ni-ninnowwww*

IWishIWasBlank
01-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Surprisingly the guy seems familiar with Pumpkins material, which is better than most reviewers. I have yet to get Gothic.

ROSE ON PARADE!!

*binowww ni-ninnowwww*
*binowww ni-ninnowwww*

ROSE ON PARADE!!!

*binowww ni-ninnowwww*
*binowww ni-ninnowwww*

Five Stars, WC.

Pizza Club
01-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Is this from Entertainment Weekly? I got a free subscription online and it's pretty much the most worthless magazine I've ever gotten. Nothing gets less than a C and the articles are all things you've seen already on the net.

Mariner
01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
...so then you know it's bad if EW bothered to pan it

brock666
01-28-2008, 11:11 PM
HAHAHA "the rose parade" fuuuuuck, i could see how you could mistake that with rose march though if you weren't paying attention i guess