View Full Version : Billster needs to pick one vocal style and stick with it.

BurtSampson
01-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Pre-Gish: Hardly whiny at all, and was quite deep and awesome sounding (especially in Spiteface)
Gish: Moving toward his trademark whine.
Siamese Dream: Trademark Billy.
Mellon Collie: Siamese Dream, but more mature.
Adore: Soft and reserved
Machina: The worst of his vocal phases. He did that thing with his voice where he sounded like a baby.
Zwan/TFE: Not bad actually.
Zeitgeist: Wh-y does he sing without 'onsonants?

I think Pre-Gish and Mellon Collie were his best phases, but goddamn, he goes through his vocal styles like underwear.

the sellout
01-24-2008, 09:05 PM
i hate his pre gish. It would be okay if he could stay on key, but it's clearly not a comfortable register.

Zwan's the one that works best for me. He almost sounds good in Lyric.

Also, Adore could work, especially in the demo stages. Czarina's the best example

brillo998
01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
his zeitgeist voice really agitates me. i fucking hate the way he sounds like hes gasping for air and cant pronounce consonants.

dudehitscar
01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Pre-Gish: Hardly whiny at all, and was quite deep and awesome sounding (especially in Spiteface)
Gish: Moving toward his trademark whine.
Siamese Dream: Trademark Billy.
Mellon Collie: Siamese Dream, but more mature.
Adore: Soft and reserved
Machina: The worst of his vocal phases. He did that thing with his voice where he sounded like a baby.
Zwan/TFE: Not bad actually.
Zeitgeist: Wh-y does he sing without 'onsonants?

I think Pre-Gish and Mellon Collie were his best phases, but goddamn, he goes through his vocal styles like underwear.

It's one of the best things about corgan is his ability to change his singing style a lot.

Bob dylan does this too and I just love it..

that being said his vocals have killed a lot of the potential for the zwan record and Zeitgeist. Zwan had happy energetic songs but corgan sang it so stiff and joyless.

Zeitgeist had many bone crushing rockers but his voice doesn't match at all.

Everything else has been good to fucking amazing.

MonteLDS
01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
no talk about the solo days?

selection7
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I've got the AOL sessions and the Oeiras Alive Festival video. I've never noticed him not using consanants, though I've heard people carrying on about it. It's to the point where I'm getting really tired of reading about it and not knowing why people keep saying that. Can you specifically name a part from one of those songs where he does it?

Also, all the singers I respect and appreciate the most are capable of pulling off a lot of different styles. With a voice like Billy's, he pretty much has to make originality and creativity in his singing style make up for having such a non-traditional voice. Bono can get away with singing the same way all the time, but most singers are not Bono.

Imagine the arguing that would go on this board if we got to choose whether he'd give up either his whispy, emotional voice or his screaming, razor-blade of a voice. There would be blood.

T&T
01-24-2008, 10:49 PM
billster needs to stop evolving
because i'm not evolving, and i hate being left behind.
fyp

skipgo
01-24-2008, 10:50 PM
i wish i could listen to a 2007 recording and not notice the missing consonants.

flyfire
01-24-2008, 11:07 PM
i wish i could listen to a 2007 recording and not notice the missing consonants.

agreed and I wish I could stop comparing 2007 to 1991/1995

T&T
01-24-2008, 11:16 PM
i wish for a million dollars. make it ten million while we're at it.

Fritter
01-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I've got the AOL sessions and the Oeiras Alive Festival video. I've never noticed him not using consanants, though I've heard people carrying on about it. It's to the point where I'm getting really tired of reading about it and not knowing why people keep saying that. Can you specifically name a part from one of those songs where he does it?

Also, all the singers I respect and appreciate the most are capable of pulling off a lot of different styles. With a voice like Billy's, he pretty much has to make originality and creativity in his singing style make up for having such a non-traditional voice. Bono can get away with singing the same way all the time, but most singers are not Bono.

Imagine the arguing that would go on this board if we got to choose whether he'd give up either his whispy, emotional voice or his screaming, razor-blade of a voice. There would be blood.

I'm with you. I'm not hearing it frequently enough for it to be an issue at all. Sometimes it's pretty blatant though.

ooooooo akkkee ee eeaall

dustrock
01-24-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't really get the missing consonants thing.

The overly-long-pauses-and-then-rushing-the-end-of-the-stanza I do hear all the time live.

Fritter
01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Old school Billy would insert motherfucker into that pause some how :(.

and dig it in motherfuckingworldipeal

TheMilstead
01-25-2008, 12:54 AM
It's called aging/maturing.

Manson sounded totally different on Mechanical Animals than he did on Antichrist Svperstar. And there's an even bigger difference in his voice today.

Then, look at Trent Reznor. Every album's vocals sound very different from one another. Compare Broken to Pretty Hate Machine. Or With Teeth to The Fragile.

Billy's not indecisive about his style. The only thing that's happening here is time. (Except maybe from pre-Gish to Gish...that's way too noticeable of a change)

Now, admittedly, the non-existent consonants of 2007 really sound like it's being done on purpose, and I hate him for that. He sounded just fine when he didn't try to sound good. That was the Billy Corgan "style".

chris1979
01-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Do not agree with you at all. I really hope he doesn't stick to one vocal style. That's what makes his singing much more interesting.

Mr. Mister
01-25-2008, 03:12 AM
I suppose we forgave the lack of "on keyness" when we knew Bill was shedding his voice w/those razorblade screams. Now that the hardcore piece of his vocal style is gone it's like, "what have you traded it for?" The disappointing proof is in the AG pudding.

"slowpoke...(owwww)"

dyingcatsdyingcatsdyingcatsdyingcatsdyingcats.

Fritter
01-25-2008, 03:33 AM
"slowpoke...(owwww)"

http://images.google.com.au/url?q=http://www.monochrom.at/cracked/comments/slowpoke-pokemon.gif&usg=AFQjCNGWaEQD6U5NjFUBRMq-xd5EDkwEzw

Bolly loves the pokemans.

ChristHimself!
01-25-2008, 04:01 AM

i love spiteface and a bunch of pre gish stuff, but he was basically just talking in tune, lots of people do this when they're learning to sing

actually make that talking to a melody, because it wasn't really in tune

Waiting
01-25-2008, 09:11 AM
I hate blisters.

IWishIWasBlank
01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I prefer the Gish and MCIS eras for the least whine and most growl.

brillo998
01-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Billy's not indecisive about his style. The only thing that's happening here is time.

bulllshit. hes changing his voice on purpose.

peabody
01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
I miss the feminine siamese dream vocals.

then for some reason he grew a cock and started bellowing.

skipgo
01-25-2008, 01:17 PM
then for some reason he grew a cock
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

yeah i prefer the sd lady vocals too.

selection7
01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm still waiting.

If Billy's really doing it that often (dropping consonants) it shouldn't take one of you more than 10 minutes worth of listening to hear a moment where he does it to find an example. Use any pro live recording you want. I'll download it if I don't have it.

skipgo
01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
i'll find one for you when i'm not at work.
it's not just live; he even does it on american gothic.

rolmos
01-25-2008, 04:16 PM
American Gothic - The Rose March: 1:33

rolmos
01-25-2008, 04:17 PM
1:34, 1:41, 1:42, ...

Oeiras Alive Festival - Tonight Tonight: "And our lives are *orever changed..."

stumpycat
01-26-2008, 01:27 AM
I miss the feminine siamese dream vocals.

then for some reason he grew a cock and started bellowing.

I know...it's never been the same since he started wearing loose pants and growing facial hair. :(

Honestly, the MCIS era vocals proved problematic for me in some respects. While they certainly had all the spirit and "punch" that later albums (especially Zeitgeist) lacked, to my ears they sounded the most "nasal whine" (as opposed to Gish, which had the most whine but least nasal vocal delivery) if not even slightly grating and off key at times. ("Tonight, Tonight" being a good example...his live delivery is now improved over the actual album.)

i love spiteface and a bunch of pre gish stuff, but he was basically just talking in tune, lots of people do this when they're learning to sing

actually make that talking to a melody, because it wasn't really in tune
I tend to dig the "talk" kind of vocals. It works for Billy because of the inherently difficult limitations of his voice.