View Full Version : Are you happy SP dropped their psychedlic influences?

MistaMista1
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
For the most part. I don't hear much in the way of psychedelia post-Gish.

I had never really particularly enjoyed this facet of their older music but I'm listening to Gish more and more recently, whatever that means.

bja1288
01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
yes, it definitely needs to come back, gish and pre-gish brought some of their best material. But its not going to happen

pale_princess
01-18-2008, 11:49 AM
sp didn't drop any influences, bill did, and that's when he started sucking

laaazy
01-18-2008, 11:50 AM
seriously
my favorite album of all time is gish, whatever that means

MistaMista1
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
gish and pre-gish brought some of their best material.

I've never understood how people can say this. I mean yeah, there are a few good ones here and there. I like I Am One, Siva, Crush, Tristessa, and Daydream off of Gish and I'm a bigger fan of Translucent and Offer Up, but nothing from this era seems to contain the depth and complexity of their later work.

I was reading recently how Mellon Collie was the first album where they rehearsed and/or recorded some of their parts together as opposed to doing them all separately, and I feel like this is most clearly evident on Gish. It often sounds very cookie-cutterish to me, like it was just kind of cut and pasted together. And a number of the songs seem to proceed in the same exact fashion, starting slow and quiet, building to louder faster climax, and then fading off.

I often don't quite understand how the band made the transition from Gish to Siamese Dream in only 2 years.

edit: sorry this is mostly just a gish-in-general rant.

skipgo
01-18-2008, 11:56 AM
i get that a band (or artist) needs to move on, they need to keep challenging themselves, they need to "grow". But if something worked well in the past, is it really necessary to abandon that in order for this growth to happen? There are many facets of sp that have been left behind that shouldn't have been. I don't really care for the psychedelic aspect as much, but there are other things I'd like them to bring back. The siamese dream vocals, for starters.

I think bill's ideals have changed too much for them to ever go back to any point where they once were. I do wish he'd be open to the idea that they don't HAVE to lose that "pumpkins" sound. It wouldn't be terrible for them to write a song that sounds like it could fit on on of the previous albums.

MistaMista1
01-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah I've often been thinking recently he should just take unfinished MCIS demos and turn them into full fledged songs. Some of that shit is gold.

Also, I've recently come to HATE the fact that they dropped their shoegaze influences. I got into other shoegaze bands and then felt like I was hearing entirely new songs in some Siamese Dream stuff, Today and Hummer specifically.

tcm
01-18-2008, 12:01 PM
i get that a band (or artist) needs to move on, they need to keep challenging themselves, they need to "grow". But if something worked well in the past, is it really necessary to abandon that in order for this growth to happen?

i say yes.

skipgo
01-18-2008, 12:08 PM
i say yes.

i'd say you're wrong.

I definitely don't want them to rehash old material, that would be lame and no one would buy it. But it wouldn't hurt to take the old sound on a new ride, if ya dig what i'm sayin'.

edit: and by "no one would buy it" i mean, no one would believe it.
I'm pretty sure people would purchase it. In all colors of the rainbow.

tcm
01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
i'd say you're wrong.

fuck you motherfucking cuntface bitchface assface bitchass cuntass faceass bitch

edit: obsp: i think there have always been and are still psychedelic moments in the live shows though.

waltermcphilp
01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
they need more songs like 'where's vince?'

MistaMista1
01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Despite being the completest I am, I listened to Where's Vince once on rspaa and decided I didn't need it. Am I going to hell when I die?

skipgo
01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
fuck you motherfucking cuntface bitchface assface bitchass cuntass faceass bitch

edit: obsp: i think there have always been and are still psychedelic moments in the live shows though.

:love:

tcm
01-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Despite being the completest I am, I listened to Where's Vince once on rspaa and decided I didn't need it. Am I going to hell when I die?

you are not the completest, i'm way completer than you.

MISTER MISTER ONE

EDIT: SP RULES!!

the sellout
01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
They need to have the balance, like they did on Siamese Dream and parts of Mellon Collie. It wasn't too much psychedelia like Gish was at times, but it was definitely still there.

The one from SD that is standing out in my mind is Hummer. it's not the most psychedelic song on that album by far, but it has that balance. I think the reason Machina sucked in comparison is because a lot of those influences were taken out (or mixed out through bad production). Like the best moments on Machina are also the most psychedelic in comparison (even if they can't in themselves be called such.. i'm thinking the solo in SIYL here)

Banana
01-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Absolutly not. Starla is their best song, and that has a lot of psychedlic influence.

That's what they need to get back to. The live version of Bring the Light kind of has it.

And also this poll isn't letting me vote in it for some reason.

topleybird
01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
All things change, never rest, never blah blah blah

It becomes kind of dishonest to go back to previous influences if that's just not what you're listening to any more, if it's not relevant to your interests or if you don't feel you can offer a contemporary spin on it

I mean the last album is called ZEITGEIST fellas, big clue there, it is art of its time, like any and all art

I'm not claiming you guys want them just to sound exactly like Gish again or something, but if Billy doesn't feel he has something new to say with the psychedelic sound, then he just doesn't feel it

I guess to wrap up, I don't feel like Billy "dropped" any influences so much as they simply ceased influencing him; if they come back they come back, but I don't think there was any deliberate, calculated forcing of a new sound

skipgo
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
All things change, never rest, never blah blah blah

It becomes kind of dishonest to go back to previous influences if that's just not what you're listening to any more, if it's not relevant to your interests or if you don't feel you can offer a contemporary spin on it

I mean the last album is called ZEITGEIST fellas, big clue there, it is art of its time, like any and all art

I'm not claiming you guys want them just to sound exactly like Gish again or something, but if Billy doesn't feel he has something new to say with the psychedelic sound, then he just doesn't feel it

I guess to wrap up, I don't feel like Billy "dropped" any influences so much as they simply ceased influencing him; if they come back they come back, but I don't think there was any deliberate, calculated forcing of a new sound

i can agree with all of this until your last sentence. come to think of it, didn't they even admit as much?

(as for what i was talking about in bringing back old things, it was more of a production thing, the sound, the mix, that i was referring to, rather than songwriting).

tcm
01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
actually it often seems like billy still listens almost exclusively to psychedelic-era music. just look at that Heavy Medley Machine business. but i wouldn't call it calculated to largely ignore those influences on the album, it's just his natural mode of operation to try to build new things from the ground up all the time. not for some artistic obligation, but because he just wants to.

andrewface
01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
yes, it definitely needs to come back, gish and pre-gish brought some of their best material. But its not going to happen

pre gish was all shit...

aurel
01-18-2008, 01:44 PM
There was some quote about how he felt that every couple of years the musical cartridge in his head gets changed. The bravery to reinvent with every album is something I have always respected about the pumpkins.

bja1288
01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
I've never understood how people can say this. I mean yeah, there are a few good ones here and there. I like I Am One, Siva, Crush, Tristessa, and Daydream off of Gish and I'm a bigger fan of Translucent and Offer Up, but nothing from this era seems to contain the depth and complexity of their later work.

I was reading recently how Mellon Collie was the first album where they rehearsed and/or recorded some of their parts together as opposed to doing them all separately, and I feel like this is most clearly evident on Gish. It often sounds very cookie-cutterish to me, like it was just kind of cut and pasted together. And a number of the songs seem to proceed in the same exact fashion, starting slow and quiet, building to louder faster climax, and then fading off.

I often don't quite understand how the band made the transition from Gish to Siamese Dream in only 2 years.

edit: sorry this is mostly just a gish-in-general rant.

pre gish was all shit...

I donno, maybe i just have different taste than you guys, but the pre-gish/gish get the most plays from me. They just dont get old. Bury Me, Crush, Suffer, SNail, and Window Paine are my favorites from Gish MistaMista so its obvious we like different parts of gish. As far as pre gish, I have a playlist consisting of
There It Goes
With You
Stray Cat Blues
Snap
Drown (not sure if this is pre gish, might be pre sd)
Venus in Furs
My Dahlia
Jennifer Ever
Psychodelic
Nothing And Everything
She

And i could listen to this every day. THey may be simpler songs, but the quality is there. I apologize if some of this isnt pregish, im not sure of the origin of some of them

pale_princess
01-18-2008, 02:06 PM
pre gish was all shit...

you have the worst sp taste of anyone on this board, so who cares.

JRiordan
01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Glass live is still quite psychedelic though. But yeah, we need more.

skipgo
01-18-2008, 02:27 PM
i'm picturing you saying that in your tie dyed shirt JRiordan. it works for me. :)

bja, i'm with you on pre gish stuff, i think it was great. I like a lot of it better than i like gish, in fact.

topleybird
01-18-2008, 02:52 PM
(as for what i was talking about in bringing back old things, it was more of a production thing, the sound, the mix, that i was referring to, rather than songwriting).

I guess the thing with that is it's clear where they're going with their production; I mean listen to each album back to back and you can hear the slow experimenting leading toward one logical endpoint

That endpoint being a single, literally earsplitting tone that will be a completely homogenized mix of all instruments and effects, resulting in one sustained and unrelenting noise that will destroy any speaker or hearing device upon being played

Basically they are trying to create the sound that will end the world, immanetizing the eschaton and all that, look it up

Pretty obvious I mean come on

hcueva
01-18-2008, 03:13 PM
There were NEVER psychedelic influences. Do you teenagers even know what psychedelic music is?

BuriedSoftly
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Billy just needs acid.

tcm
01-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I guess the thing with that is it's clear where they're going with their production; I mean listen to each album back to back and you can hear the slow experimenting leading toward one logical endpoint

That endpoint being a single, literally earsplitting tone that will be a completely homogenized mix of all instruments and effects, resulting in one sustained and unrelenting noise that will destroy any speaker or hearing device upon being played

Basically they are trying to create the sound that will end the world, immanetizing the eschaton and all that, look it up

amusing.

skipgo
01-18-2008, 03:32 PM

well now that you mention it; i can't believe i didn't see it all along.

ciGarski
01-18-2008, 03:44 PM

you're a completest but you don't have mashed potatoes?

i_adore_adore
01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
I think Gish is incredible, especially for a band's first "real" album. I love the elements of psychadelia found in Gish, and I think it's obvious that as time went on that style faded away. That's not to say I think bringing it back would save SP (not that I personally believe they need saving), but I think SP used it really well.

I think whoever said they still use it live is right.

tcm
01-18-2008, 03:58 PM
I think whoever said they still use it live is right.

thank you motherthanking cuteface brightface niceface brightnice cutenice facenice bitch

bja1288
01-18-2008, 04:13 PM
you sure are a charmer tcm

ciGarski
01-18-2008, 04:21 PM
tcm, do you use baby powder when you backhand your hoes?

i_adore_adore
01-18-2008, 04:21 PM
i adore tcm

silverfrick
01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I think With You is better than all of Zeitgeist.

ciGarski
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
i think you like jelly over syrup.

silverfrick
01-18-2008, 04:56 PM
i think you like jelly over syrup.

I much prefer syrup actually. Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima (sp?).

I also prefer most pre-Gish to anything of the Zeitgeist era with the exception of Stellar.

greedo
01-18-2008, 05:02 PM
It amazes me that Gish can be someone's favourite album. I really can't get into it. I wonder if Nirvana's Bleach is someone's favourite album too.

I think the Pumpkins are at their best when Billy's glam influences shine through. He is obviously a T.Rex and Bowie fan. He even stole the idea of the alter ego album from T.Rex.

Here is No Why is totally glam, as is a lot of Mellon Collie and the Machina albums. 7 Shades and Starz are nice, heavy glam tracks.

This seems to be a big influence on the style of the band since Mellon Collie (and perhaps on Siamese Dream to a lesser extent) but it seems to be something many people on this board don't like.

I wish they would do a full-on heavy glam album like Mechanical Animals.

Now I'm starting to hope Billy gets together with Noel Gallagher to write the best glam album ever...wow, that would be perfection.

Anyone like Suede's (London Suede in the US) Coming Up album? Great glam album.

topleybird
01-18-2008, 05:03 PM
amusing.

Pretty labored, I must admit; your reaction sounds about right

hcueva could you elaborate on your definition of psychedelic rock

Please

i_adore_adore
01-18-2008, 05:12 PM
It amazes me that Gish can be someone's favourite album. I really can't get into it. I wonder if Nirvana's Bleach is someone's favourite album too.

I think the Pumpkins are at their best when Billy's glam influences shine through. He is obviously a T.Rex and Bowie fan. He even stole the idea of the alter ego album from T.Rex.

Here is No Why is totally glam, as is a lot of Mellon Collie and the Machina albums. 7 Shades and Starz are nice, heavy glam tracks.

This seems to be a big influence on the style of the band since Mellon Collie (and perhaps on Siamese Dream to a lesser extent) but it seems to be something many people on this board don't like.

I wish they would do a full-on heavy glam album like Mechanical Animals.

Now I'm starting to hope Billy gets together with Noel Gallagher to write the best glam album ever...wow, that would be perfection.

Anyone like Suede's (London Suede in the US) Coming Up album? Great glam album.

You say glam way too much in this post.

Also, I can't see a huge difference between Bleach, Nevermind, or In Utero. I mean, sure, there are changes, but nothing like the polar switch from Gish to SD to MCIS. Nirvana are not in the same league with the Pumpkins at all. AT ALL. AT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL.

slunken
01-18-2008, 05:14 PM
so SP jamming canned heat and jefferson airplane in 10+ minute versions of HMM is them dropping psych-influences?

riiiiiiiiiight

and you spelled psychedelic wrong

ciGarski
01-18-2008, 05:15 PM
love me some stellar. been listening to that quite a bit today.

silverfrick
01-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Actually, Bleach is my favorite Nirvana album. It sounds very similar throughout, but I think the back to back combo of Papercuts and Negative Creep propel it above In Utero. Looking back on bands like SP and Nirvana during a time when they were not jaded by the business is where I like to hold my memories.

skipgo
01-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Pretty labored, I must admit; your reaction sounds about right

hcueva could you elaborate on your definition of psychedelic rock

Please

please don't ask that douche to say anything else.

i've always thought here is no why reminded me of bowie :)

I don't see bc and ng getting together, but if they did I'd probably love it.

slunken
01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Looking back on bands like SP and Nirvana during a time when they were not jaded by the business is where I like to hold my memories.

classic-rock syndrome

Rider
01-18-2008, 05:37 PM

It's on MP you just admitted you are a completest who is missing MP?:think:

ciGarski
01-18-2008, 05:37 PM
totally ^

edit: meant for slunken

ciGarski
01-18-2008, 05:38 PM

It's on MP you just admitted you are a completest who is missing MP?:think:

Rider
01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
There were NEVER psychedelic influences. Do you teenagers even know what psychedelic music is?

Listen to the full version of Drown and say that again.

Rider
01-18-2008, 05:44 PM

Yeah I know it was one of those statements thats so shockingly :think: that I had to reply even if someone else said it. This thread is full of them it's really bringing the :erm::rolleyes:.

ciGarski
01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
i was surprised it took till page 2 for someone to call him on it.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Also, I've recently come to HATE the fact that they dropped their shoegaze influences. I got into other shoegaze bands and then felt like I was hearing entirely new songs in some Siamese Dream stuff, Today and Hummer specifically.

i would be really interested to see how many times the term 'shoegaze' was used for SP1 compared to SP2

it seems that its thrown all over the place now.

Rider
01-18-2008, 06:16 PM
i would be really interested to see how many times the term 'shoegaze' was used for SP1 compared to SP2

it seems that its thrown all over the place now.

Has anyone else noticed how genre names seem to come out of nowhere now. Like one week they are term used by a few people then all of sudden everyone is using it. No wave I"ve never heard anyone use it, I knew what it was but no one used it. Now one guy writes a book and 3 documentaries get made and now I've seen it used about 50 times in 2 weeks. The same with shoegaze all of a sudden about 2 years ago it was everywhere. What's really bad is in most case people start using the term and have no clue what it means. See the No Wave thread on the music board as a prime example.

redbull
01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
so SP jamming canned heat and jefferson airplane in 10+ minute versions of HMM is them dropping psych-influences?

it is when they're doing shitty metalfied versions of them. Psychedelia is about space...

sweetanthony
01-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Is it me or is it wrong to say Siamese Dream is more psychedelic than Gish?

I say this because though I love me some Gish-while-stoned... SD-while-on mushrooms and/or LSD is LOADS BETTER.

Siamese Dream is an orgy of sound (like their French poster says). Its like a dose of drugs all in itself. The heavier psychedelic feel of Cherub Rock>Quiet>Today, then HUMMER, Rocket, fucking SOMA. The very HEAVY yet visceral Geek USA and Silverfuck.

Then the classic, Mayo. The distortion... uhhhh, the distortion! The guitar solo is sacred. If you ever came home after a party while coming down from being high while kinda sleepy, and popped SD (namely Mayo) in the old walkman and fell asleep while listening to the most lush sounds you know what I'm talking about. (or insert any special memory you might have: here).

The Nutron Bi-Phase (sp?) "we run everything through it." Billy, where did that go? Break it out for the love of all that's good!

???
01-18-2008, 06:35 PM
^nah psychedelia is more to do with unusual "coloration" of sound rather than just ambience. siamese dream is vaguely psychedelic on a few tracks but gish is a bit more...shall we say, kaleidoscopic and lyrically surreal. that's sortof the defining element of psychedelia rather than just spaceyness.

sweetanthony
01-18-2008, 06:43 PM
^nah psychedelia is more to do with unusual "coloration" of sound rather than just ambience. siamese dream is vaguely psychedelic on a few tracks but gish is a bit more...shall we say, kaleidoscopic and lyrically surreal. that's sortof the defining element of psychedelia rather than just spaceyness.

I get what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that Siamese Dream is to psychedelics as Gish is to marijuana... for me at least.

I'm getting too literal because I was constantly on drugs when I discovered SP. So the first two albums, drugs, and me have very intimate memories.

hcueva
01-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Has anyone else noticed how genre names seem to come out of nowhere now. Like one week they are term used by a few people then all of sudden everyone is using it. No wave I"ve never heard anyone use it, I knew what it was but no one used it. Now one guy writes a book and 3 documentaries get made and now I've seen it used about 50 times in 2 weeks. The same with shoegaze all of a sudden about 2 years ago it was everywhere. What's really bad is in most case people start using the term and have no clue what it means. See the No Wave thread on the music board as a prime example.

I just don't hear it, honestly. I grew up believing that Piper at the Gates of Dawn is psychedelic, or Donovan, (Listen to the) Flower People kind of music, sitar-like guitar and all.

Where's that in I am one, Daydream or Crush? This all blew out of proportion because Billy decided to call himself psychedelic in one early interview, but critics actually labeled them as heavy-metal influenced, which is kind of the opposite of psychedelic rock, you know.

greedo
01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
love me some stellar. been listening to that quite a bit today.

Love that song lately...it took a while but it's definitely one of the best new songs...should have been on the album. In fact I would have liked Death From Above on the album too.

greedo
01-18-2008, 07:26 PM
You say glam way too much in this post.

Also, I can't see a huge difference between Bleach, Nevermind, or In Utero. I mean, sure, there are changes, but nothing like the polar switch from Gish to SD to MCIS. Nirvana are not in the same league with the Pumpkins at all. AT ALL. AT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL.

Glam, glam, glam (the genre).

I didn't mean to say that Bleach is crap, but I think the songwriting and production is weak compared to Nevermind and In Utero. I like Bleach, but to me Nirvana improved exponentially with Nevermind in the same way the Pumpkins improved with Siamese Dream.

In Utero is my favourite Nirvana album by far. If they had made a 4th album it might have been amazing...though they were not going for the same grandiose goal as Billy...could Nirvana have done an album of their punk-pop after Mellon Collie? It would have sounded tired and dated compared to what the Pumpkins did.

I don't think there was a switch between Gish and Siamese Dream...Billy just learned to write good songs :)

When was Drown written/recorded? I really like that song. I'm guessing between Gish and SD.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-18-2008, 07:32 PM
When was Drown written/recorded? I really like that song. I'm guessing between Gish and SD.

it was released in 1992, so.. before that release date.

ive got the rolling stone that talks about the singles soundtrack when it came out- it talks about the young new band 'smashing pumpkins.' i'll see if i can dig it out and scan it. its kind of neat

ciGarski
01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I get what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that Siamese Dream is to psychedelics as Gish is to marijuana... for me at least.

I'm getting too literal because I was constantly on drugs when I discovered SP. So the first two albums, drugs, and me have very intimate memories.

no ones talking about drugs, boss.

sweetanthony
01-18-2008, 10:45 PM
no ones talking about drugs, boss.

Yeah, psychedelic music has nothing to do with drugs.:erm:

tcm
01-18-2008, 11:32 PM
completist, you fucks. -ism, -ist. -er, -est. fuck.

stumpycat
01-19-2008, 12:13 AM
I just don't hear it, honestly. I grew up believing that Piper at the Gates of Dawn is psychedelic, or Donovan, (Listen to the) Flower People kind of music, sitar-like guitar and all.

Where's that in I am one, Daydream or Crush? This all blew out of proportion because Billy decided to call himself psychedelic in one early interview, but critics actually labeled them as heavy-metal influenced, which is kind of the opposite of psychedelic rock, you know.
The whole point of the Pumpkins was that it was a "meld" of the best/most interesting elements of some of these seemingly dissimilar influences. That would inc1ude classic rock, metal, 60's pop and psychedelia, 80's progressive new wave, goth-rock, and even the modern "alternative" sound of the time.

As far as the critics...well, sometimes they make comments and comparisons that fall far short of their mark. I certainly wouldn't take some of their descriptions on faith alone.

As far as Gish...that album is bit of a strange animal. I'm a HUGE fan of the "early" (1988-1992) Pumpkins. Honestly, Gish sounds rather different than the kind of music their were playing either in 1990 or even the proto-Siamese Dream sound of many of the songs they started performing around 1992. Rather, significant portions of Gish actually sound influenced by Jane's Addiction and Guns 'n Roses! In that way, the music on the album is somewhat of an anomaly.

But elements of Gish certainly have psychedelic influence. Even by your apparent definition of psychedelic sound, a song like "Suffer" would fit. I'm trying to think of how to explain the "sound"...but really, you just know it when you hear it. It's rather difficult to articulate the concept in concrete terms. And Crush? That is a great example of the mock-1960's flower-power rock sound if I have ever heard it.

MistaMista1
01-19-2008, 12:23 AM

How was this misinterpreted to mean I didn't have ANY of mashed potatoes?

I just CHOSE not to have Where's Vince. I have plenty of MP.

ciGarski
01-19-2008, 03:41 AM
you should have downloaded mashed potatoes in its COMPLETE FORM. mista completest.

ciGarski
01-19-2008, 03:44 AM

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/completest

you fuck.

ciGarski
01-19-2008, 03:44 AM
Yeah, psychedelic music has nothing to do with drugs.:erm:

seems you think thats all it has to do with it.

:erm:

MistaMista1
01-19-2008, 07:13 AM

Yeah I specifically looked that up for correct spelling before posting.

You fuck.

tcm
01-19-2008, 07:18 AM
completest is a word, yes. it's just not the right word.

fucking fucks.

MistaMista1
01-19-2008, 07:56 AM
son of a bitch

I could've sworn when I typed that in dictionary.com it didn't recognize it, as strange as I found that.

I hate being wrong.

tcm
01-19-2008, 08:02 AM
you probably typed completeist.

obsp: i'm sure billy corgan has made this mistake on occasion too.

skipgo
01-19-2008, 09:12 AM
you guys are pushing it with that off topic spelling stuff. CAREFUL, THEY ARE WATCHING.