View Full Version : "I really can't see myself being a rock musician when I'm 40 years old."

CrabbMan
01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
"I really can't see myself being a rock musician when I'm 40 years old, you know?" - Jimmy Chamberlin, as a 29 year old rock musician.

It's from the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1993-08-24.fm.flacf).

Twineball
01-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Put on some glasses, Jimmy!

tensionhead
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
tom cruise: "i cant go on vacation because of sp!"

he'd like to enjoy life and run about playing, but sp has stopped him from doing such nonsense. sp should be ashamed. tom and his kids deserve a nice vacation.

smashapumpkin
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
tom cruise: "i cant go on vacation because of sp!"

he'd like to enjoy life and run about playing, but sp has stopped him from doing such nonsense. sp should be ashamed. tom and his kids deserve a nice vacation.

what the hell are you talking about?

also to original poster: OLD

wilch
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
"I really can't see myself being a rock musician when I'm 40 years old, you know?" - Jimmy Chamberlin, as a 29 year old rock musician.

It's from the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1993-08-24.fm.flacf).
Jimmy is 43, when he was 40 i.e. in 2004 he wasnt really doing much. So he kept to his statement. Props Jimmy!

b0llywood
01-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Don't take it all so literally.

tensionhead
01-16-2008, 03:53 PM
what the hell are you talking about?

also to original poster: OLD

please try to stay topic.

sp are keeping us ALL down.

b0llywood
01-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Banning everyone in this thread.

tensionhead
01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
oh we're past that.

is it true? everyone here is queer?

poll:
"how long has SP been harrassing YOU?"

stripes
01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Yawn (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=155555)

AlaskanBastard
01-16-2008, 04:43 PM
If you think about it, when Jimmy said that, he was into a ton of drugs. If he'd continued to do the drugs, he might not have made it to 40, let alone as a rock musician. So maybe he's found a rejuvenation now that drugs aren't taking a toll on his body.

Teej212
01-16-2008, 05:52 PM
mick jaggar said something along the lines of kill me if i am still playing when i am forty in the Rolling stones autobiography

slunken
01-16-2008, 06:16 PM
what's a rolling stones?

tensionhead
01-16-2008, 06:23 PM
what's a rolling stones?

"*who's* the rolling stones?"

theyre a band from the 1950's.

and they are so cool.

:animated_

SlingeroGuitaro
01-16-2008, 06:36 PM
theyre a band from the 1960's.

fify

Teej212
01-16-2008, 06:40 PM
1962 foo. how have you never heard of the rolling stones???!?!?! they are one of the most famous classic rock/pop bands of all times?!?!?!!!! jeez

tensionhead
01-16-2008, 06:40 PM
fify

erm....thats not what my post says.

it says clearly that sp is ruining the world starting with tom cruise.

Teej212
01-16-2008, 06:42 PM
btw, i know the nephew of Bill wyman (BIll PErks) but his parents are divorced so his dad is never with him so he never gets to see bill wyman and plus bill is afraid of flying- the reason he quit the stones.......haha

the sellout
01-16-2008, 06:49 PM
mick jaggar said something along the lines of kill me if i am still playing when i am forty in the Rolling stones autobiography

Well, then there's the most famous one "Hope i Die Before i Get Old" - Pete Townshend, who is now 62 years old and still releasing albums.

the bottom line: Things Change, though i think Jimmy's going to be sticking to his statement about not playing Jellybelly anymore

Professor Fox
01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
http://thebloggingcircus.blogspirit.com/images/medium_vendetta.jpg

Teej212
01-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Well, then there's the most famous one "Hope i Die Before i Get Old" - Pete Townshend, who is now 62 years old and still releasing albums.

the bottom line: Things Change, though i think Jimmy's going to be sticking to his statement about not playing Jellybelly anymore

pete townshend is still a good rocker, the rolling stones are a bunch of old saggy men on stage not playing very well. dont get me wrong, i LOVE the stones, but they gotta stop

brillo998
01-16-2008, 07:10 PM
"*who's* the rolling stones?"

theyre a band from the 1950's.

and they are so cool.

:animated_

source?

Professor Fox
01-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Yawn (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=155555)

http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/1/16/t_yawnm_578b45d.jpg

june_soma
01-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I really can't see myself being 40 years old, you know?" - Jimmy Chamberlin

Wouldn't that be more appropriate for a heroin addict?

I forgot to add, Zing! ZZZzz, I'm going to bed.

MistaMista1
01-16-2008, 11:26 PM
i think Jimmy's going to be sticking to his statement about not playing Jellybelly anymore

source?

stumpycat
01-17-2008, 12:26 AM
what's a rolling stones?
I hear they rubbed elbows with BOB DILLION once or twice. Har har. :D
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Seriously, though...at that stage in his life, it sounds as if Jimmy might have very much carried that "live for the day," almost fatalistic type of mentality with him. Which seems like it might complement habits such as...heroin abuse.
Also, however, when one is "young," I think that a lot of us imagine that we're somehow going to become different people (with different feelings) as some necessary, inevitable process of aging. But then when we get "there" chronologically we discover that our inner essence is exactly the same and it's the mirror's reflection that must be deceiving us! (Actually, this part is really fucking unsettling to me...)

xezton
01-17-2008, 12:36 AM

Seriously, though...at that stage in his life, it sounds as if Jimmy might have very much carried that "live for the day," almost fatalistic type of mentality with him. Which seems like it might complement habits such as...heroin abuse.
Also, however, when one is "young," I think that a lot of us imagine that we're somehow going to become different people (with different feelings) as some necessary, inevitable process of aging. But then when we get "there" chronologically we discover that our inner essence is exactly the same and it's the mirror's reflection that must be deceiving us! (Actually, this part is really fucking unsettling to me...)

I think it's because when you look around yourself right now at all of the older people, they seem so different than they were back in the 70's or before. So you would only expect the same to happen to you.

I think it will be fun to get old. At least until the death part. :(

MistaMista1
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I actually take comfort in thinking of what a different person I was 5 years ago and what a different person I will be 5 years from now.

xezton
01-17-2008, 12:39 AM

I think it's because when you look around yourself right now at all of the older people, they seem so different than they were back in the 70's or before. So you would only expect the same to happen to you.

I think it will be fun to get old. At least until the death part. :(

I actually take comfort in thinking of what a different person I was 5 years ago and what a different person I will be 5 years from now.

This is why The Future Embrace was a good album (minus To Love Somebody). We can all relate to the main theme.

stumpycat
01-17-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm speaking of that innate inner feeling of identity that we all carry...not really what could possibly be termed "growing as a person." Of course most of us evolve and develop in that respect.

areyougaffney?
01-17-2008, 02:13 AM
didn't he actually say "I can't see myself playing Jellybelly when I'm 40."

He's not playing jellybelly so that's O.K

toadkat9
01-17-2008, 08:55 AM
source?

I believe those comments came from an interview he did for Modern Drummer magazine back in 1996. I still have that issue... but haven't read it in probably 10 years, hehe. I also seem to recall Jimmy talking about some demos he'd done with Billy that were very unlike the Pumpkins and they use a banjo or something (Meladori Magpie comes to mind - but that's no banjo).

MistaMista1
01-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Lame. Jellybelly is one of the top tracks I'd like to hear them introduce on the next leg of the tour.