View Full Version : Do you think BC is always motivated in every show ?

Home
01-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Or do you think he gets tired of playing United States for nearly the 100th time? I hope not

rolmos
01-15-2008, 08:42 AM
1/4 of your posts are new threads...

Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views Forum

Do you think BC is always motivated in every show ?
[request] official Zeitgeist tab book
"17" Lyrics
Smashing Pumpkins Show in Tokyo
Glass and the Ghost Children lyrics (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Brabanthallen 02/18 Holland
Where to get gossamer ? (Multi-page thread 1 2)

Home
01-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm so very sorry but that's not what I'm asking

rolmos
01-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Sorry, the answer to your questions are: no and yes.

T&T
01-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Or do you think he gets tired of playing United States for nearly the 100th time? I hope notimagin how he feels about today
and understandibly why he stopped playing i am one

its his job
and he obviously loves it
if he didn't give 120% he wouldn't impress anyone...
i don't know how he does it, but he impresses me everytime

it's reasons like this that i would never want to be a performing musician

Home
01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Sorry, the answer to your questions are: no and yes.

that's to bad right ?

rolmos
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
I transcribed the MSN interview a while back. Here is the last question, O think it clears things up a bit:

Why did the Smashing Pumpkins return?

Billy: We, when we really started thinking about it 2 years ago, we had different choices. One choice was of course the reunion money: Everybody just gets together, but nobody talks and just hates each other. We were very open to the idea of our former band members coming in, but only under the circumstance of 'love of music', 'love of playing new music', so if that criteria was not going to be there, then they weren't going to be involved. And I think they've shown publicly their lack of interest.

“Pumpkins” is more of an idea like: Ok, there's a spirit and there's a voicing there, and people mostly identify me as the singer and the songwriter. But, moving forward, it really has to be about what the music asks of us to facilitate. I don't want to get into that thing of the passive aggressive, I'd rather be home with my kids, but you expect me to do a certain thing, and I'm just going to do it, but I'm going to hate it, and that's really going to translate to the audience that we really don't want to... Never again. Whatever that is, we'll never go through that again. We will never step onstage with people who don't want to be there.

So, we're in an interesting position, we don't want to overly ego-identify it more than it already is because it can't be about that anymore. We'll never be able to go back to what it once was, even if [we were] the original members, you can't go back to that spot. Everybody's different. So, borrowing the four original people onstage or maybe Melissa Auf der Maur playing bass or something, if there is not that sort of inherent legitimacy at least in the public's eyes, then the next best thing for us is to make it about the legitimacy of what we are trying to do. So if that means us and 27 people and a choir, then that is what we'll do.

I think that Pink Floyd is a good example of that. When Syd Barret left the band, they just kind of said: Ok, well, we have to move on. Joy Division [did] the same thing when Ian Curtis died. You just have to pick up the pieces and go from where you're at and move on. You can't live in the past because it's done, it's just dead. There are some songs that we're playing that I have not played in like 13 years, or something like that. I'm the type of person that can't lie about it. If [were] hating it, I would tell [Jimmy] that I fucking hate this; I know that I've got to play these songs, but I fucking hate this. I really am loving it. I really love being in a great place to represent the music, and knowing that the energy coming form the stage is all positively identified: we want to be here, we want to play this music, we appreciate that you want to hear this music and that even if you don't we can respect why. We're out of that old idea of what it means to play 'good.'

It's like ultimately, I think people want to see the band enjoying their trip. And that struck me over time. Especially being away form it and thinking about coming back. They don't want to see us bummed out by our trip, like 'Oh, we're up here, and we don't want to be here, and here's the song we don't want to play.' They really want to see you go, 'Yeah, this is cool.'

rolmos
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Sorry, forgot the paragraphs :erm:

edit:added them for easier reading.

stripes
01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Or do you think he gets tired of playing United States for nearly the 100th time? I hope not

I know we do! hiyooooooooooooooooooo!!

reprise85
01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
i think he handles it better than most, but there's no way he's motivated for every show

dustrock
01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
"the show must go on". I think it's just part of every performer's job. It's literally their job to entertain people on stage.

everyone has days where they hate their job, days where they come in sick/hungover, days where they call in sick.

so I'm sure the Pumpkins are the same way, and this is one of the main reasons why some performances are noticeably better than others - sometimes, everything clicks, the band has a lot of energy, the crowd is reciprocating by being into the performance, etc.

tcm
01-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I think it's just part of every performer's job. It's literally their job to entertain people on stage.

debatable... but we probably shouldn't, for Caine Walker's sake.

dustrock
01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
debatable... but we probably shouldn't, for Caine Walker's sake.

lol

I think if you're bothering to tour, you have an obligation to entertain as best you can.

I don't think artists have an obligation to tour, but when they do, they'd better put on a good show.

Living in Alberta, I didn't get to see the Pumpkins on their recent tour, but I noticed on the live recordings that Billy's live vocals are maybe the best I've ever heard - the sign of a performer that wants to put on the best show possible.

skipgo
01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
where is caine walker, anyway? i miss that guy.

brillo998
01-15-2008, 12:39 PM
he wasnt very motivated in columbus. played for less than 2 hours, but he did do a nice little encore.

tcm
01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I think if you're bothering to tour, you have an obligation to entertain as best you can.

I don't think artists have an obligation to tour, but when they do, they'd better put on a good show.

i mean i think an artist's only obligation is to express himself. certainly i would prefer being entertained over being bored to tears, but i won't say he's not doing his job if i fall asleep during his 20-minute guitar wankfest. if he's into it, god bless him, for his soul speaks a truth that none would ask.

[yawn]

june_soma
01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
For most musicians playing live is what gives them energy. I talk to bands from time to time and most of them can't wait to get up on that stage and connect with their audience. This one guy I know, whos in a black metal band with a pretty solid international fanbase (or used to anyway, I've stopped paying attention) said to me: "It's like nothing you could ever imagine. You get to be God for a coupla of hours." Of course not all musicians feel this way, but I believe Billy is touring because he REALLY wants to.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-15-2008, 04:57 PM
i think he gets tired of playing the same thing, which is why songs and setlist layouts tend to change during tours.

Piggy
01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
im sure he wants to tour. But i don't see any reason why anyone would want to play or listen to United States.

Twineball
01-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm sure all of us have days at work in which we're not motivated.

dustrock
01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
im sure he wants to tour. But i don't see any reason why anyone would want to play or listen to United States.

except Jimmy Chamberlin.

ravenguy2000
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Netphoria has suggested a similar thread that will answer all your questions.

Home
01-16-2008, 02:44 AM
United States, Today and Bullet are on about every setlist

Kahlo
01-16-2008, 06:12 AM
The Glasgow show saw a band who looked pretty bored to be on stage. I'm glad I parted with almost $70 to see them

SlingeroGuitaro
01-16-2008, 06:27 AM
The Glasgow show saw a band who looked pretty bored to be on stage. I'm glad I parted with almost $70 to see them

i got the same feeling (however i was there for free)

the austin show was pretty spectacular, the dallas show was lacking a little bit, however.

its hard to saw billy isnt cashing in when he seems so bored while playing the music. he should just rework all the songs he's bored as hell with- a reworked today would be great, rewrite bullet. show some emotion on stage again, and i'll spit more money at you

loser2d
01-16-2008, 06:32 AM
I think he gives on the basis on what he gets from the audience. So if he gets shit, that is what he will give.

MonteLDS
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
where is caine walker, anyway? i miss that guy.

stay on topic...

And I highly doubt he is motivated every night. after seeing him in SF so many times you could see that it changed day to day

skipgo
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
fuck off monte, i posted that before the new "rule".

Twineball
01-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I think he gives on the basis on what he gets from the audience. So if he gets shit, that is what he will give.

That's probably true. It's hard to perform up to par for a dead audience.

T&T
01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
monte: after so many consistent nights of seeing them play
could you read any "moods" off the band?

aggressive?
playful?
serious?
cocky?

Mariner
01-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by William
Why did the Smashing Pumpkins return?

Billy: We, when we really started thinking about it 2 years ago, we had different choices. One choice was of course the reunion money: Everybody just gets together, but nobody talks and just hates each other. We were very open to the idea of our former band members coming in, but only under the circumstance of 'love of music', 'love of playing new music', so if that criteria was not going to be there, then they weren't going to be involved. And I think they've shown publicly their lack of interest.

“Pumpkins” is more of an idea like: Ok, there's a spirit and there's a voicing there, and people mostly identify me as the singer and the songwriter. But, moving forward, it really has to be about what the music asks of us to facilitate. I don't want to get into that thing of the passive aggressive, I'd rather be home with my kids, but you expect me to do a certain thing, and I'm just going to do it, but I'm going to hate it, and that's really going to translate to the audience that we really don't want to... Never again. Whatever that is, we'll never go through that again. We will never step onstage with people who don't want to be there. move on, billy; you'd be much better off for it. this stepford pumpkins shit is going to suffocate you.

So, we're in an interesting position, we don't want to overly ego-identify it more than it already is because it can't be about that anymore. We'll never be able to go back to what it once was, even if [we were] the original members, you can't go back to that spot. Everybody's different. So, borrowing the four original people onstage or maybe Melissa Auf der Maur playing bass or something, if there is not that sort of inherent legitimacy at least in the public's eyes, then the next best thing for us is to make it about the legitimacy of what we are trying to do. So if that means us and 27 people and a choir, then that is what we'll do.

I think that Pink Floyd is a good example of that. When Syd Barret left the band, they just kind of said: Ok, well, we have to move on. Joy Division [did] the same thing when Ian Curtis died. You just have to pick up the pieces and go from where you're at and move on. You can't live in the past because it's done, it's just dead. There are some songs that we're playing that I have not played in like 13 years, or something like that. I'm the type of person that can't lie about it. If [were] hating it, I would tell [Jimmy] that I fucking hate this; I know that I've got to play these songs, but I fucking hate this. I really am loving it. I really love being in a great place to represent the music, and knowing that the energy coming form the stage is all positively identified: we want to be here, we want to play this music, we appreciate that you want to hear this music and that even if you don't we can respect why. We're out of that old idea of what it means to play 'good.'

It's like ultimately, I think people want to see the band enjoying their trip. And that struck me over time. Especially being away form it and thinking about coming back. They don't want to see us bummed out by our trip, like 'Oh, we're up here, and we don't want to be here, and here's the song we don't want to play.' They really want to see you go, 'Yeah, this is cool.'

...or he could not take the easy way out and quit using the back catalog as a crutch/springboard/bait. wants to form a band with jimmy and a new guitarist and bassist? fine. a sort of quiet vaguely asian dude guitarist and a female bassist? fine. but call that "Smashing Pumpkins" and attempt to pass it off as the continuation of something that ended (depending on how you look at it) between 7-11 years ago? not fine. he just said it himself "you can't live in the past," so what is he doing dredging up the old songs and touting an obvious but half-assed version of the old image? move on, billy. this stepford pumpkins shit is going to suffocate you.

T&T
01-16-2008, 02:02 PM
bla bla band ended when jimmy left in 96
or was it when darcy left in 99
or was it when the 5th beatle died during the SP demo era

I want to hear the old SP songs
billy is doing it for ME
and a zillion other SP fans that appreciate it.

skipgo
01-16-2008, 02:03 PM
i think mariner has a rather large stick up his ass.

Spaldz
01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
what the fuck, Billy said he had kids in that msn interview?

smashkin33
01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I want to hear the old SP songs
billy is doing it for ME
and a zillion other SP fans that appreciate it.
:cheers:
i'll drink to that!

T&T
01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
http://forums.netphoria.org/images/smilies/beer2.gif
drinking to billy's motivation to give us 120% at every show we've gone
to playing 3h shows
and injecting his throat with drugs to fix his ripped up vocal chords
what he won't do for us....

what about the blue room interview where he whines about not having kids
and how he sacrificed everything for ???? for what????
i hate seeing him being self depreciating
he's in much better form with his ego 10 miles high! :)

Twineball
01-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't want to get into that thing of the passive aggressive, I'd rather be home with my kids

What that literal? Are there little b0llys running around somewhere?

Gossamer
01-16-2008, 03:45 PM
It'd be nice if his faggot ass made it to NYC one of these days.

Gossamer
01-16-2008, 03:45 PM
only been waiting 8 years for them.

i_adore_adore
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM

For some reason I laughed at that for like three minutes straight.

Twineball
01-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Like homosexual asses, do you?

Reyngel
01-16-2008, 10:16 PM
what the fuck, Billy said he had kids in that msn interview?

http://www.suburbanhorror.com/images/interviews/Gerard_Way.jpg