View Full Version : No good pumpkin books/interview collections?

MistaMista1
01-15-2008, 06:22 AM
I assumed SOMETHING worthwhile would've been written by now, but according to amazon a couple of cheap and uninformative paperbacks are all that have been produced. And spfc's article collection sucks for the most part.

Any recommendations?

And no please don't recommend me
http://www.randomhouse.com/images/dyn/dcover/?source=9780679833840&trans=resize:150y%3Bborder:989595:1%3B

reprise85
01-15-2008, 11:36 AM
they all suck in my experience, sorry i guess that isn't very helpful

MistaMista1
01-15-2008, 12:41 PM
better than no replies. thanks anyway.

IWishIWasBlank
01-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah I've got the "Star Profile: The Smashing Pumpkins." It blows. They call it "Butterfly with Bullet Wings" through the whole fucking thing. Wanted to kill the British bastard that narrated it.

MistaMista1
01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
"jimmy corgan"

smashkin33
01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
maybe a netphorian with a knack for writing can make one.
i'd buy it, as long as it had pretty photos.

MistaMista1
01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
you are the enemy. I want words, WORDS.

I'd even be happy with just a collection of all their rolling stone articles or something of that sort. To the periodicals section!

smashkin33
01-15-2008, 01:05 PM
it was kind of a tounge in cheek joke.
all the sp books are chock full of glossy photos- we have lots of those, i know, i know.

BUT- you know, a sweet coffee table book full of yelena-esque photos would be a nice thing to own.

i haven't read any rock and roll bio's but i guess there are some good ones out there. scar tissue is supposed to be good?

ISS79
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Below is a link to a Book entitled "Smashing Pumpkins: Tales of a scorched Earth" written by Amy hanson

I read it and thought it sucked. It didn't give any information that you wouldn't already know if you had been reading the music magazines at the time and basically repeats the cliched opinions the media had. The Author cops out too by avoiding issues like the breakups and in fighting by saying that it is "personal and private and should be kept that way". Seemed like a cop out to me by someone who didn't have any substantial info and had no way to get it.

Ultimately it is a bland revisit to the band's history. I would only reccomend it to people who are discovering the Pumpkins in the last few years and even then the Author cannot write a single coherent sentance and comes across as self-important which makes for a grueling read.

http://www.amazon.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-Tales-Scorched-Earth/dp/1900924684/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200420959&sr=8-1

MistaMista1
01-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah I was just reading several scathing reviews of that one on amazon.

skipgo
01-15-2008, 01:37 PM
i would think their story would make for a good book. Sex drugs rock and roll, death, etc.
i'm kind of surprised we haven't ended up with a good one with lots of gory details. Maybe darcy will write her rumored autobiography someday...

IWishIWasBlank
01-16-2008, 09:24 AM
If I ever get back to Watervliet I'm going to visit her.

"jimmy corgan"

I forgot about this. Thanks.

i haven't read any rock and roll bio's but i guess there are some good ones out there. scar tissue is supposed to be good?

Up and Down with the Rolling Stones. Keith laughed the whole time he read it. Sanchez wrote it. Also, Marianne Faithful's book... I think she titled it Strange Weather after her Tom Waits cover. (I'm always looking to name drop Tom.) Marianne's book is a great read. Puts you on the vein of what was really happening. Not from fanboy/girl perspective, but the "yeah, I was with Mick, it wasn't all that" perspective.

Marianne Faithful's book has nothing to do with SP, by the way.

mayday
01-16-2008, 02:24 PM
i recently found one of my SP books. i really like the nick wise one. with Billy in his ruffly shirt on the cover. i remember finding a really nice one in a book store and thinking no not another sp book so i didnt get it. it was longish and hard covered and i think had i chose to get it it would have been my favorite. anyone have a book like that?