View Full Version : stephen malkmus likes american gothic

dean_r_koontz
01-10-2008, 10:35 AM
not really. but look at this:

Q: I read that Billy Corgan is still ticked off that you dissed him 13 years ago with "Range Life."

A: It was a tribute to their (Smashing Pumpkins) relevance at that time. It was like reading the headlines. I don't think he should be that upset. It's a backhanded compliment. They were significant. They made some good songs in their time.

aurel
01-10-2008, 10:42 AM
James Joyce never got over that Therapy? song.

andrewface
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
who the hell is stephen malkus?

Spaceboy88
01-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Pavement & The Pumpkins were both great bands at that time. Malkmus was jealous of SP's success, especially with the alleged diva-ness that Billy had during Lollapalooza. I'm sure that it wasn't meant out of hatred, but more of a way to knock them down a peg. If Billy is still pissed off about it, he needs to look at his bank account and compare that to Malkmus'.

p.s. I'm still hoping those Pavement reunion rumors come true, because Malkmus w/Pavement >>>> Malkmus w/The Jicks

skipgo
01-10-2008, 12:18 PM
if billy's still worried about that, he needs to go back to therapy.
range life is a good song.

The Gaddrow
01-10-2008, 01:10 PM
who the hell is stephen malkus?

That's a good question, however I do not see the relevance to this thread.

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevenmalkus1/s8.jpg
Steven Malkus studied ballet and modern dance while earning his BA at Harvard University (class of '75) in Special Concentrations:Dance in Film and Video. He studied dance with Esther Brooks, Jimmy Waring, Finis Jhung and Daniel Nagrin among others.He received his MFA in choreography from ASU in 1983. He has worked as a rehearsal cameraperson and researcher for the PBS series "Dance in America," was the head of the non-profit wing of a major film editing company, The Montage Group, and has taught dance in schools and privately for over twenty-five years. He has directed his own dance company in Boston, received grants(CETA, a Regents Fellowship, and for a NEA funded videodance collaboration). He is also a published poet. His teaching stresses the importance of making your own dance---both as a mantra to call upon the Great Spirit and an expression of your unique life force.

osamy
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
At a party I recently got into a drunken spat of Corgan contra Malkmus. A friend of mine worships Malkmus the same way that many Pumpkins fans revere Corgan. Someone at the party said that she was amazed of how similar to Malkmus I looked; I responded that this was ironic, considering that I'm the token Pumpkins fan. My Malkmus pal said, "Really? But Billy Corgan's bad." From there I said, "Well, he's better than Malkmus. Interestingly enough, he's actually a better ironist than Malkmus." And then the gloves were off. Another interesting element being that "Range Life" may be my favorite Pavement tune. We asked for outside opinions - and others were split. "Corgan." "Malkmus." "I prefer Pavement." "I prefer Pumpkins." The argument is never ending. But really, if there's a resolution, it's that comparing the two is like taking apples and oranges. Two completely different aesthetics. It's like comparing, in film, Jim Jarmusch (quiet, uber-indie, clever) to Martin Scorsese (nakedly subjective, elaborate, religious, self-reflexively megalomaniacal). And I'll always prefer the latter.

skipgo
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
i'm a fan of both pumpkins and pavement.

myosis
01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
i have all their albums (corgan and malkmus) and i don't listen to either anymore

june_soma
01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Stephen Malkmus thinks Corgan is a diva, he should talk... I had the misfortune of meeting him when I was working at this TV-show. He was stoned, arrogant, difficult and just an overall pain in the ass. Maybe I caught him on a bad day, but he was totally a diva.

monkeyfritters
01-10-2008, 03:59 PM
i hate billy corgan and i love ballet.

skipgo
01-10-2008, 04:00 PM
i'm pretty sure they're both miserable bastards.

Nate the Grate
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I enjoy both of them.

skipgo
01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
hi nate the grate, how ya been?

Elvis The Fat Years
01-10-2008, 04:22 PM
skipgo 4
The Gaddrow 1
monkeyfritters 1
aurel 1
myosis 1
dean_r_koontz 1
june_soma 1
Nate the Grate 1
osamy 1
Spaceboy88 1
andrewface 1

it's good to see skipgo is still neglecting her kids.

areyougaffney?
01-10-2008, 04:23 PM
who has the bigger penis?

Nate the Grate
01-10-2008, 04:30 PM
hi nate the grate, how ya been?
wonderful! and you?

skipgo
01-10-2008, 04:47 PM
glad to hear it! I'm good as well :)

Shapan
01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
sup dean

Dork USA
01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
both are genius', why must they fight?

skipgo
01-10-2008, 06:01 PM
because the world is too small for both of their brains (egos?) to fit.

Patuquitos
01-10-2008, 06:46 PM
not really. but look at this:

Q: I read that Billy Corgan is still ticked off that you dissed him 13 years ago with "Range Life."

A: It was a tribute to their (Smashing Pumpkins) relevance at that time. It was like reading the headlines. I don't think he should be that upset. It's a backhanded compliment. They were significant. They made some good songs in their time.

'They WERE significant. They made SOME good songs IN THEIR TIME'.

Well, I bet Billy's even more upset now.

emotionalfriend
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
who has the bigger penis?

Steve Langford has a huge penis

yoshinobu's revenge
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm a huge Pavement and Malkmus fan.

Doesn't compare to my love for SP (or at least SP1) but I wouldn't bother to compare the two bands / frontmen anyway. Totally different styles and musical spaces.

Oh, and AG = *barf*

Rockin' Cherub
01-11-2008, 10:38 AM
i've read malkmus's favourite album ever is reckoning which of course makes me want to drink with him

skipgo
01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
i've read malkmus's favourite album ever is reckoning which of course makes me want to drink with him

have you heard that song they do about r.e.m. on the no alternative cd? it's one of my favorites :)

ptrdln
01-11-2008, 04:02 PM
um, i wonder where the interviewer read this about billy still being pissed about 'range life'.....has anyone else read this?

darthjul
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I like 'em both as would anyone with a half way decent taste in music. Both were and I feel still are relevant and exciting artists. I'm psyched about Malks new album but I must admit that the Pumpkins were always my 1st love.

Runsaber
01-11-2008, 11:59 PM
At a party I recently got into a drunken spat of Corgan contra Malkmus. A friend of mine worships Malkmus the same way that many Pumpkins fans revere Corgan. Someone at the party said that she was amazed of how similar to Malkmus I looked; I responded that this was ironic, considering that I'm the token Pumpkins fan. My Malkmus pal said, "Really? But Billy Corgan's bad." From there I said, "Well, he's better than Malkmus. Interestingly enough, he's actually a better ironist than Malkmus." And then the gloves were off. Another interesting element being that "Range Life" may be my favorite Pavement tune. We asked for outside opinions - and others were split. "Corgan." "Malkmus." "I prefer Pavement." "I prefer Pumpkins." The argument is never ending. But really, if there's a resolution, it's that comparing the two is like taking apples and oranges. Two completely different aesthetics. It's like comparing, in film, Jim Jarmusch (quiet, uber-indie, clever) to Martin Scorsese (nakedly subjective, elaborate, religious, self-reflexively megalomaniacal). And I'll always prefer the latter.

sounds like a bitchin' party

slunken
01-12-2008, 01:25 AM
sounds like a bitchin' party

sounds like a soon-to-be-in-50-years lemonparty

suncrashesdown
01-12-2008, 01:32 AM
both are genius', why must they fight?

every single night