View Full Version : chronological rolling SP song-a-day discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Today:
"we only come out at night"
good song, it sounds different than anything else on this disk, autoharp, nice contrast from XYU

Tomorrow:
Beautiful

monkeyfritters
01-09-2008, 03:56 PM
so i says to maybelle i says...

rolmos
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Hey, so what was wrong with the other 324324 threads doing this?

Cool As Ice Cream
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
LAME/PIANO

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey, so what was wrong with the other 324324 threads doing this?

ohhh, just EVERYTHING i guess!
BUT I'M JUST A DUMB GIRL, WHAT DO I KNOW!?

waltermcphilp
01-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Today:
sunny with a chance of deletion

Tomorrow:
Rain

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
change it to this:

tomorrow:
ban

rolmos
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TEE_FEA/PK202~Smashing-Pumpkins-Zero-Posters.jpg

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
good detail on the sleeve. i give that shirt rep.

waltermcphilp
01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
http://jj.am/gallery/d/39619-1/banned_permabanned.gif

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
i want to talk about beautiful already, i'm over we only come out at night.

tcm
01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
song rules.

T&T
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
i swear to god this is a true story
I was taking a nap eariler today
and i had a dream in it that concerned
SKIPGO's A SONG A DAY thread
and it was was changed to
SMASHKIN33's A SONG A DAY thread

and in my semi wake state i told myself that once we got to the end of zeitgeist
that i would start "SMASHKIN33's A SONG A DAY" to cover all the extra we skipped.

very ODD.

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
if that thread was started, this place would get shut down!

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
i swear to god this is a true story
I was taking a nap eariler today
and i had a dream in it that concerned
SKIPGO's A SONG A DAY thread
and it was was changed to
SMASHKIN33's A SONG A DAY thread

and in my semi wake state i told myself that once we got to the end of zeitgeist
that i would start "SMASHKIN33's A SONG A DAY" to cover all the extra we skipped.

very ODD.

It would lack celebrity hype.

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
i'm pretty b-list, while skipgo is a-list.
she's angelina jolie
i'd be somebody not as cool.

but i'm honored kevin wanted to start one for me.

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I like you and all, Jessica (?), but I'm just telling it like it is.

i_adore_adore
01-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm Jessica. Smashkin is Melissa.

Right?

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 04:58 PM
its melissa.
and i wasn't offended in anyway by your post above, i'm no a-lister!

and i'll give u rep for being kinda nice
HIGH FIVE!

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Dang, it's been so long. Sorry. Thanks for setting me right.

tcm
01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
i'm Susanne.

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
ted susanne

i_adore_adore
01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
So, we only come out at night, right?

Yes, I love this song. At first I just thought it was amusing, but now I really really like the lyrics. "And once again/You'll pretend to know me well, my friend"

So cool :) Like I said a while back, this is one of those songs that just makes MCIS so great. It's weird.

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
WOCOAT is a great song in a unique and entertaining direction. It's hard to fit that kind of song into a genre, and that, to me, is where Mellon Collie finds its strength. The modern day incarnation of SP would do well to imitate that style of songwriting.

skipgo
01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
i'm pretty b-list, while skipgo is a-list.
she's angelina jolie
i'd be somebody not as cool.

but i'm honored kevin wanted to start one for me.
haha, no way. i feel pretty confident that most people here are annoyed with me. you're way less controversial smashkin. people can support this thread. I know i will.

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
thanks, i feel like a politician getting an endorsement!
doesn't matter if you piss people off... lots of a list celebs piss people off... JUST LOOK AT BRITTNEY SPEARS!

skipgo
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
whoa now, don't compare me to that trainwreck!! :)

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
i meant it with love.
but i mean, you are a mom too ;)

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
you brought this board together for a time, skip, and that's all that really matters

no one will forget you

i_adore_adore
01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
CAN WE PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC SO THIS DOESN'T GET CLOSED??!?!??!!! BECAUSE GOD KNOWS EVERY OTHER THREAD ON NETPHORIA STAYS ON TOPIC!!!837892374!!*&!*^*&!!

(just kidding :love: )

But really, I have more to say about this song.

I love the weird little percussion intro.

Hm. Yep.

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 05:24 PM
CAN WE PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC SO THIS DOESN'T GET CLOSED??!?!??!!! BECAUSE GOD KNOWS EVERY OTHER THREAD ON NETPHORIA STAYS ON TOPIC!!!837892374!!*&!**&!!

(just kidding )

But really, I have more to say about this song.

I love the weird little percussion intro.

Hm. Yep.

WOCOAT is a great song in a unique and entertaining direction. It's hard to fit that kind of song into a genre, and that, to me, is where Mellon Collie finds its strength. The modern day incarnation of SP would do well to imitate that style of songwriting.

<what>

Mayfuck
01-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Anyway...the last five tracks on MCIS is one of my favorite moments in music ever. WOCOAN is probably one of the first indications of Adore-style songwriting, my theory being Corgan probably starting writing songs on piano this time which explains the Stepford Pumpkins chord progressions in contrast to the undulating guitar riffs of before. This is a good opener for the final batch of songs on MCIS which taken as a whole form an expanded decrescendo to the previous rollercoaster of 23 tracks. I feel like MCIS wouldn't have that epic quality without those final tracks. Anyway, beautiful nocturnal almost western style song that still makes me feel weird listening to it.<dfd>

i_adore_adore
01-09-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to say there, zach (that's your name, right? It's been a while... is it zack or zach? or neither?)

ciGarski
01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
feel free to address him as his username in case you don't know his real name

i_adore_adore
01-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Do you realize how much my self-esteem has dropped because of you, cigarski? I'm gonna have a complex pretty soon.

ciGarski
01-09-2008, 06:56 PM
why? don't do that, i like you its just tough love!

Mayfuck
01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
:lock:

i_adore_adore
01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
why? don't do that, i like you its just tough love!

You're always toying with my emotions.... But okay. If you say so.

dustrock
01-09-2008, 07:18 PM
the opening of the song reminds me of the old Intellivision video game Night Stalker.

ciGarski
01-09-2008, 07:21 PM
You're always toying with my emotions.... But okay. If you say so.

i say so.

themadcaplaughs
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
The song has a strange appeal to it. It seems almost cartoonish, yet it works beautifully. Billy's vocals are so intense and wonderful, it is a shame we could not have anything like that on Zeitgeist. It is the sound of a band at the top of the world. But I REALLY want to talk about Beautiful.

Sarcastic Smile
01-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I think the intro fits perfect with the title..if that makes any sense. I really like the way he sings "I walk alone to find my way home"..

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to say there, zach (that's your name, right? It's been a while... is it zack or zach? or neither?)

i was getting at the fact that i already posted something relevant to the thread before you politely asked in all capitals for everyone to stay on topic

etc., etc., so on and so forth

and it's both

JRiordan
01-10-2008, 02:06 AM
We Only Come Out has such beautiful singing... particularly:

"That there's an end
That there's an end to this BEGIN"

And then he changes to the so-soft "It will make you feel all right..."

And what a sublime contrast after XYU. Oh my.

smashkin33
01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Beautiful
At the moment, I can only think of that my boyfirend in 8th grade put this on a mixtape for me. Kinda freaked me out, but looking back I realize how sweet it was. He was such a dork but he grew up to be a good looking dude.

The "la la la la la la laaaaa" part near the line "and i love you, as you love me" is a little hard to listen to, now it reminds me a little bit of what's going on in The Rose March! Ahh!
"

rolmos
01-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Beautiful:
I remember listening this song on earphones and switching from one to the other, since William and James were on seperate channels.

I simply love it, yet I just feel very unconfortable listening to it in front of other people.

Skradgee
01-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I like the breakdown/bridge, right around the "so let the clouds roll by your face" part of the lyrics. I think it works well with the last chorus, and then the outtro. Good songwriting, IMHO.

Mayfuck
01-10-2008, 12:00 PM
lots of interesting instrumentation here. it seems billy might have had a transitional phase from guitar based rock of SD and MCIS to the 'arcane night music' of adore. i wonder why his MCIS experiments have a longer lasting appeal and far more emotional poignancy than his experiments of late (TFE). i wish billy just didn't jump between guitar and synths. there are lots of other wonderful instruments and i cant think of a bad song other than the vibraphone on crappy neverlost where a pumpkins song didn't sound good with 'untraditional' instrumentaiton.

my favorite part of beautiful is the dreamy fade out

skipgo
01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
This is another song that reminds me of Prince, and I only realized that recently. I'm absolutely in love with this song, and agree with everything Mayfuck said about it.

i_adore_adore
01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
i was getting at the fact that i already posted something relevant to the thread before you politely asked in all capitals for everyone to stay on topic

etc., etc., so on and so forth

and it's both

I saw your post :) I wasn't yelling at you. And really, I didn't care at all that it was going off topic. Just trying to remind everyone of how stupid it was that the song a day thread got closed and not... every other thread on this board.

As for Beautiful, I just listened to it last night :) It's a wonderful night-time song. I didn't get into this until recently, but now I just can't get enough.

I remember listening this song on earphones and switching from one to the other, since William and James were on seperate channels.

Isn't it Billy and D'arcy? I could definitely be wrong, but it just always sounded more like D'arcy to me. I guess I never looked it up...

themadcaplaughs
01-10-2008, 07:57 PM
It's D'arcy. Anyway, this is my absolute favorite song on the album. I have been thinking for days about what I could say about it, but perfect is about the only word that sums it up. That outro is, for lack of a better word, beautiful.

RenewRevive
01-10-2008, 09:06 PM
The "la la la la la la laaaaa" part near the line "and i love you, as you love me" is a little hard to listen to, now it reminds me a little bit of what's going on in The Rose March! Ahh!
"

there was probably a valid reason that billy decided to employ the patented "fuck it up" technique with rose march, something to do with adore not selling or something.

RenewRevive
01-10-2008, 09:08 PM
i'm Susanne.

hey,

:sexors: :)

:blush:

i_adore_adore
01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
omg it's Lily daaaaay!

This was actually one of my first favorite Pumpkins songs... for some reason. It's just cute :) I love the instruments used, I love the little drum intro, I love how the piano sounds, and Billy sounds so urgent and pathetic XD

Then I found out it was about him being a stalker and it lost some of its charm... But I still like it :)

Cool As Ice Cream
01-11-2008, 12:40 PM
hey i have an idea how about this we could talk about songs!

Mayfuck
01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
why are billy's background vocals so nice on this song but terrible on everything post MACHINA

this song is brilliant. i'm not sure what to say about it. favorite part is the "i wonder if she....could only see me..." breakdown followed by the "and when i'm with her i feel fine". i love how he sings that, along with that jangly guitar and random synth trumpet hit. again the instrumentation on the final five tracks is what really makes the song, and makes MCIS i think. theres a nice piano and mellotron on lily. this song was so weird to me when i was smaller.

skipgo
01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
lily is a testament to billy's musical genius.

ciGarski
01-11-2008, 01:38 PM
generic "why was everything so great now it sucks" post.

smashkin33
01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Then I found out it was about him being a stalker and it lost some of its charm... But I still like it :)

it makes it better! this song is about how cirgarski hides in my closet while i sleep. (harr harr harr!)

i love the end of the song, i can just picture cops pulling billy out of a tree of some chick's yard, and hauling his ass to jail. :banging:

RenewRevive
01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
^

let's hope life doesn't imitate art.

mayday
01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I really like Beautiful and Lily quite a lot . i'm not sure which song is today but i love those songs

i_adore_adore
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Today's lily :)

ciGarski
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
it makes it better! this song is about how cirgarski hides in my closet while i sleep. (harr harr harr!)

i love the end of the song, i can just picture cops pulling billy out of a tree of some chick's yard, and hauling his ass to jail. :banging:

well i do do that.

i_adore_adore
01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
DOO DOO!

ciGarski
01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
ill clean you in a min jessica.

i_adore_adore
01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
So anyway, lily......

T&T
01-11-2008, 05:11 PM
my one and only

are we on by starlight yet? still Lily eh?
well then
My one and Only!

i_adore_adore
01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I wonder why Billy said he rarely writes love songs.

I guess it's because he probably doesn't like to classify his songs as "sad" or "happy" or "love" or "hate" songs. Most artists don't, because usually when you're inspired enough by something to write a song about it, it's impossible to define that thing with one word. Still, though... He writes a lot of love-ish songs.

i_adore_adore
01-12-2008, 01:43 PM
By Starlight. Mmmm

It's feels old... classy. I love the fade-in. I love the bass part... simple, but effective :)

And does she really know
Who I really am?
And does she really know me...
AT LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST

^One of the greatest Billy moments vocally, IMO. So ugly, but so beautiful at the same time :)

SlingeroGuitaro
01-12-2008, 03:14 PM
i feel pretty confident that most people here are annoyed with me.

only the idiots. the rest love you ;)

i got TAFH for christmas the year it came out. i was excited :erm:

wilch
01-12-2008, 03:54 PM
nice ending

Mayfuck
01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
i always thought the fade in was kinda cheesy. but once it settles into the first verse it feels pretty nice. song is chill.

T&T
01-12-2008, 10:25 PM
considering only 2/28 songs have a fade in.... why complain (porcelina being the other)

I love this song
i love the summer 97 versions
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xOmgJWhUPpU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xOmgJWhUPpU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

pure magic
my life has been empty, my life has been untrue
and does she really know, who i really am?
does she really know me at last
too bad they only teased it when this last summer

that "hook" is a james hook... no doubt in my mind (even if it's copying the vocal line)

i usually hate youtube "montages" but this one makes me smile
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8re1g-K_A_k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8re1g-K_A_k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sarcastic Smile
01-13-2008, 08:14 PM
nobody said anything about farewell and goodnight..

i_adore_adore
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
THE DAY ISN'T OVER YET!!!!!!!!!

Farewell & Goodnight is one of my favorite Pumpkins songs... for sure.

So the summer before my 8th grade year (I was 13) I went to a Danish camp with my friend (I'm not even danish...) for a week. All alone. She had been going there since she was BORN, and she had all her friends and family there. I'm not a very outgoing person, and it takes a lot to get me to feel comfortable enough to come out of my shell. This friend of mine didn't make much of an effort to ******* me. After a while, she started doing awful things like throwing my shoes in the garbage and pouring hair gel in my bed. The camp was a few states away, so it wasn't like I could call Mommy for her to come get me. So I just had to suffer through it.

I remember one night I was listening to MCIS (I think that was the only SP CD I had... maybe I had Rotten Apples, too... not sure) For the first time, I listened to "Farewell & Goodnight" all the way through. I never got past Billy's part before that one night. Hearing James, D'arcy, and Jimmy sing with Billy really comforted me. I felt like they were singing TO me... like they were my own little guardians singing me a lullaby. Jimmy's voice especially really charmed me. He seemed so shy and innocent. I love the part with just D'arcy and Jimmy singing together: "The sun shines/But I don't/The silver rain/Will wash away" That part is so beautiful :)

I love the outro... This is probably my favorite last-song-of-the-album song. I loooove that it ends with that beautiful piano diddy. It feels like the album comes full circle, from "MCIS" to the end of "Farewell and Goodnight."

Aaaah I love this album. Let's start over with Mellon Collie, okay? I could talk about these songs for DAYS.

vaccine
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
ya farewell is alright

ciGarski
01-13-2008, 10:44 PM
lol

BurtSampson
01-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Farewell and Goodnight is one of the best endings to any album ever, and the Mellon Collie piece coming in at the end to complete the cycle is a testament to that. Honestly, I never really liked D'arcy's part. She sounds like she's trying way too hard, and it's kinda grating. Her voice on Daydream sounded a lot better. Also, do you think Billy got the idea to close the album with a song like this from The Beatles' White Album, which closes with a song called Good Night?

xezton
01-13-2008, 11:46 PM
My guess would be they had that song written already (or maybe he had it written already but hadn't thought of putting in the others).

Then once they started picking tracks for the album, they (and/or the producer(s)) thought it would be a good idea to tack that on at the end to kind of wrap up the whole "Twilight to Starlight" "Dawn to Dusk" theme they were going for. And it's neat that they threw in the reprise at the end, that was a good idea. It's common for bands/musicians to do that to tie together different movements.

But I bet there was no original intention to ******* all of the band members' voices. They may have started re-recording it as the final track, and then someone thought, "Hey, this is gonna be the last song, we should all join in!".

T&T
01-14-2008, 02:05 AM
i love that the whole band sings
warms my heart

the lyrics are totally cheesy, but that's ok.
i'm glad the last 4 songs are winding down...
it still has its magic lyric moments "cause it's hard luck, when no one understands your love
it's unsung, and i say...."
it's quality
it doesn't only feel like the end of a massive double album
it feels like a band coming to an end (:cry:)
the harmonies are perfect,

the sun shines but i don't
a silver rain will wash away
a silver rain will wash away the pain << is that what james adds on?
i've never been sure of this lyric.

the auto what guitar & "rubbing sand sound" is very soothing

cheesy montage
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/28w4_cJK8Ss&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/28w4_cJK8Ss&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

of all the songs on MCIS, this song makes me the saddest
the end of the greatest moment of the greatest band that i'll ever know.
as much as i hate dwelling on the past, i wish it was 1995/96 again
to relive that past
to have the "skipgo song of the day" thread come back
why do things change?
just watch the cheesy montage and miss what will never be again.
RIP MCIS

xezton
01-14-2008, 02:14 AM
i love that the whole band sings
warms my heart

the lyrics are totally cheesy, but that's ok.
i'm glad the last 4 songs are winding down...
it still has its magic lyric moments "cause it's hard luck, when no one understands your love
it's unsung, and i say...."
it's quality
it doesn't only feel like the end of a massive double album
it feels like a band coming to an end (:cry:)
the harmonies are perfect,

a silver rain will wash away
a silver rain will wash away the pain << is that what james adds on?
i've never been sure of this lyric.

the auto what guitar & "rubbing sand sound" is very soothing

cheesy montage
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/28w4_cJK8Ss&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/28w4_cJK8Ss&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

of all the songs on MCIS, this song makes me the saddest
the end of the greatest moment of the greatest band that i'll ever know.
as much as i hate dwelling on the past, i wish it was 1995/96 again
to relive that past
to have the "skipgo song of the day" thread come back
why do things change?
just watch the cheesy montage and miss what will never be again.
RIP MCIS

It's interesting, but after reading that, I now understand why Adore fits so perfectly after MCIS.

I definitely don't wish it was 95/96 again, though... fuck that pubescent, pimple-filled, family-less, job-less, confusing time. I like remembering it a lot more than I would like to relive it.

T&T
01-14-2008, 02:17 AM
To Sheila
january 14th 2008

before adore came out, i always wondered what the first lyric would be
"twilight fades"...
even billy can't let go the past...
but he's looking forward, and his vision makes me so proud to be a pumkin fan
"now it's just a matter of grace"
what more could we want, what more could he want

the sound of this song is so pristine,
i put the headphones on and i'm in a quiet universe

the live versions are soul shaking, goosebumping, corgasm inducing, every time
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7tj3MhxxOU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7tj3MhxxOU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I love my new smashing pumpkins, and I'm glad they didn't throw in the towel after MCIS.

xezton
01-14-2008, 02:24 AM
To Sheila
january 14th 2008

before adore came out, i always wondered what the first lyric would be
"twilight fades"...
even billy can't let go the past...

Holy fucking shit... you know I never once noticed that?

Would have been kick ass if Doomsday Clock started with like, "Does everyone hesitate? Is everything desolate?" or something cool like that.

smashkin33
01-14-2008, 02:56 PM
here's what i'd like to say about adore in general:
i like most of the songs from this album live over the album version.

i love this line from to shiela: "it meant the world to hold a bruising faith", and how billy could streach out the word faaaaaaith in live versions.

skipgo
01-14-2008, 03:39 PM
i adore adore.

i did a search on amsp once to see if i could find any of my stupid posts from a decade ago. I found a lot about adore when it came out, and they're all gushing over how much i love it, and how i liked it so much better on first listen than I did MCIS. Although there are more songs on MCIS that I love as opposed to the number i love on adore, I think it's safe to say that I appreciate Adore more as a whole than I do MCIS. It's the last thing they (or billy or zwan) released that really got to me this way. I'm still waiting for it to happen again...

i_adore_adore
01-14-2008, 03:51 PM
well, check out the username, yo. I really do adore adore. It's my second favorite album (after MCIS). The one and only song I don't like is "Appels + Oranjes." All the others I more or less LOVE.

To Sheila is one of those songs that I need to be in the right mood for, though. It's incredibly beautiful, and I love the instrumentation, but sometimes I skip it.

Live, this thing was amazing. Jeff's atmospheric guitar work is just soul-inflating. hahaha. Really, though, it's such an incredible version.

I remember getting Adore... there was this used CD store in my mall (which now has only TWO stores in it, one of which is an outlet store), and I was just glancing through for Pumpkins CDs, my obsession relatively new, and when I came across Adore I almost had a heart attack. There was only a small rack of CDs, and I wasn't really expecting to find any Pumpkins albums. The case was cracked, but I didn't care. It was $4, and not a scratch on it.

I read through the lyrics and imagined what all the songs would sound like (at this point I had only heard "Ava Adore" and "Perfect"). I actually pictured "Once Upon a Time" as very angry. When I heard it, I was just stunned. It remains one of my favorite Adore songs, and I think one of the most underrated SP songs ever.

It's just so good, this album :)

T&T
01-14-2008, 04:07 PM
one song at a time folks!!!!!

Sheila rides on crashing nightingale
intake eyes leave passing vapor trails

a whole new style of visual lyrics,
simple and poignant

you make me real
strong as i feel
you make me real

i_adore_adore
01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
I know I know, I was just trying to get my "buying the album" story out of the way so I never have to mention it again :p And I just got carried away with my "Once Upon a Time" talk...

I remember being 13 sitting on my porch at 3 in the morning during the summer and listening to "To Sheila" over and over again. It's such a perfect night-time song.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-14-2008, 04:15 PM
reminds me of my sophmore german class. i dont know why other than it was the first class i was in after adore came out

smashkin33
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
well, check out the username, yo. I really do adore adore. It's my second favorite album (after MCIS). The one and only song I don't like is "Appels + Oranjes." All the others I more or less LOVE.

To Sheila is one of those songs that I need to be in the right mood for, though. It's incredibly beautiful, and I love the instrumentation, but sometimes I skip it.

Live, this thing was amazing. Jeff's atmospheric guitar work is just soul-inflating. hahaha. Really, though, it's such an incredible version.

I remember getting Adore... there was this used CD store in my mall (which now has only TWO stores in it, one of which is an outlet store), and I was just glancing through for Pumpkins CDs, my obsession relatively new, and when I came across Adore I almost had a heart attack. There was only a small rack of CDs, and I wasn't really expecting to find any Pumpkins albums. The case was cracked, but I didn't care. It was $4, and not a scratch on it.

I read through the lyrics and imagined what all the songs would sound like (at this point I had only heard "Ava Adore" and "Perfect"). I actually pictured "Once Upon a Time" as very angry. When I heard it, I was just stunned. It remains one of my favorite Adore songs, and I think one of the most underrated SP songs ever.

It's just so good, this album :)

these next couple weeks will be days for jessica to shine and gush!
but i gotta slap you around a bit for not liking a+o

i_adore_adore
01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
haha, slap me around a bit XD

I dunno, I just always found the lyrics pretty weak.

"What if what is isn't true
What are you gonna do?"

I mean, come on... couldn't think of another word that rhymes with "true"?

But hey, to each their own.

loser2d
01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I like A + O.
But I will save that for another day.
To Sheila gives me a sense of quiet. Feels like i am in the wilderness listening to the crickets and then all of the sudden there is a banjo. I do enjoy the song, but I enjoy it even more live.

rolmos
01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
When I first listened to Adore, I had decided not to hear any of the singles yet. When I first heard To Sheila, I fell in love with the album immediately. Best opener ever. Seeing SP play it live this year, we all cheered after "And take you home into the night..." I cried near the middle of the song. If Gio hadn't laughed at me (I was in the front row), it would have been perfect.

Video here:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k-8cyRmt5Sw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k-8cyRmt5Sw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i_adore_adore
01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
If Gio hadn't laughed at me (I was in the front row), it would have been perfect.

That really happened? That's the greatest thing I've ever heard!

Cool As Ice Cream
01-14-2008, 04:59 PM
shut up, you failed starfucker.

rolmos
01-14-2008, 04:59 PM
That really happened? That's the greatest thing I've ever heard!

It happened, and it wasn't great at all. I tried not to have eye contact with him for the remainder of the show. :(

ciGarski
01-14-2008, 05:00 PM
chill out.

i_adore_adore
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
It happened, and it wasn't great at all. I tried not to have eye contact with him for the remainder of the show.

I'm sure he's cried along to "To Sheila" a few times. He's probably just too immune to it now to remember what an emotional roller coaster it puts fans on when experienced live, so close to the stage. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it *pat* :)

mayday
01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Billy :love:

dustrock
01-14-2008, 06:37 PM
great song, great opener. totally set the mood for Adore.

How did Corgan describe Adore before it was released? Something like "arcane night music", which fits To Sheila perfectly.

I always liked listening to this song after coming home from a long night out...

themadcaplaughs
01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I always remember an interview with Billy Corgan around the time TheFutureEmbrace came out. I do not even remember who was conducting the interview, but I remember the author was trying to relate the solo album with some of the Pumpkins work, and brought up how the good moments on TheFutureEmbrace mirrored the good moment on Adore, absolutely brilliant. Billy always said something sad however, that reminds me of how great Adore could have been. I forget the exact wording, but he essentially said that had the rest of the band cared enough to be a part of the process, all of Adore would have sounded like To Sheila and Shame.

To Sheila starts the album off perfectly. It brings back memories of hanging out during the summer I bought the album just listening to it over and over again. If I had to choose one song that best encapsulates Billy's skill as a vocalist and lyricist, I would choose this. Jim DeRogatis claimed this was the song that made him appreciate Smashing Pumpkins, and I agree. Although I love all of Adore, I feel this song represents a genuine focus that is not present on the album again until shame.

I have also had a lot of fun watching Jeff and Billy mesh with this song. During the residencies, this seemed to be Jeff's moment in the spotlight.

mayday
01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
dont worry about that guy laughing at you rolmos. how rude and tasteless of someone who is close to the band to do to a fan. it's not your fault that he has no social grace

Mayfuck
01-14-2008, 10:19 PM
best production on an SP song probably. ohhhh man its so perfect, the mood. the crickets and the plucked mandolin, the light distant industrial percussion, that bell sounding guitar at the end. so perfect. such an awesome mood built only to be immediately crushed by the big fat ass corporate fart of ava aadore.

Sarcastic Smile
01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm sure he's cried along to "To Sheila" a few times. He's probably just too immune to it now to remember what an emotional roller coaster it puts fans on when experienced live, so close to the stage. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it *pat* :)

Noo, he doesn't even like the pumpkins music..

smashkin33
01-15-2008, 08:34 AM
the big fat ass corporate fart of ava aadore.
:rofl:

that's right folks, it's ava adore day.

i'm not the biggest fan of this song either, it's in the bottom of my adore songs.

the video in this song is a good example that could be used in the "could billy be weirder" thread.

wilch
01-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Why does everyone hate ava adore its a great song.
and i have an avatar now which makes it even greater.

T&T
01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
it is a pretty cool video
billy looks to suit his shaved head
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HYnihTlVuzQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HYnihTlVuzQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

the kids in this video seem to really like to rock out to the song
check out those sweaters around the waists!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xf9Oh3390bM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xf9Oh3390bM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

but my prefered version of adore would be 2000 live (not a fan of the adore tour ava)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3awf9mpMgtQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3awf9mpMgtQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

and what's with people saying it "Yeva Adoray" fucking canadians

smashkin33
01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
its an interesting video indeed, but billy's dressed like a nut!
i am a fan of billy's post gish - sd dress. polyester butterfly collar shirts!

T&T
01-15-2008, 08:52 AM
he looked and talked so impeccably during the adore era
and with the benefit tour...
he wanted to be morally on top of the world
walked the walk, talked the talk

it is a shame that he started thinking that he wasn't

smashkin33
01-15-2008, 08:58 AM
okay okay... he was pretty handsome when he wore the all black suit. the tunics, "gautiers" (or whatever it was) and skirts just turned me off.

as for doing a benefit tour- my hats off to him. using his money and influence he made a difference. not only was he doing something good, that tour was great (even though jimmy wasn't there).

reprise85
01-15-2008, 11:19 AM
i hate ava adore on the album, but they rock it out live... and always have.

Mayfuck
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Why does everyone hate ava adore its a great song.

I like the song, like the video. i just dont like its place on adore. i think it has a sweet chorus and i do like the 'we shall never be part' er part a lot. it might fit on the album if didn't rock out the way it does. i have this sort of medeival version of this song in my head that would fit on the album :erm:

smashkin33
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
i hate ava adore on the album, but they rock it out live... and always have.
that's how i feel about the album in general. but hate is a strong word. it's more accurate for me to say that i just like it better live than on the album.

dustrock
01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
wow, I'm surprised at the Ava Adore hate here. Obviously having Jimmy drumming would have made it better on the album version, but I think it's definitely one of the strongest songs on Adore and one of the only really radio-friendly songs. This was a huge hit, at least in Canada.

The pseudo-electronic vibe seems to continue from Eye, and the song was certainly unlike anything else we'd heard from the Pumpkins.

I like the lyrics as well, this was before Billy's lyrics went downhill.

Also, the guitar solo, though short, is rocking.

skipgo
01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I like the song, like the video. i just dont like its place on adore. i think it has a sweet chorus and i do like the 'we shall never be part' er part a lot. it might fit on the album if didn't rock out the way it does. i have this sort of medeival version of this song in my head that would fit on the album :erm:

do you play any music yourself? if so you should make a cover so we can hear the version that's in your head.

tcm
01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
it really hardly even rocks on the album, really, just barely rocks. classy tune.

RenewRevive
01-15-2008, 01:37 PM
i get what mayfuck means. it is jarring coming right after to shiela. it sounds kind of synthetic, artificial. good song, bad placement.

dustrock
01-15-2008, 01:42 PM
i get what mayfuck means. it is jarring coming right after to shiela. it sounds kind of synthetic, artificial. good song, bad placement.

Although I would argue not as bad as having Perfect in the midst of To Sheila, Ava Adore, and Daphne Descends.:)

tcm
01-15-2008, 01:42 PM
buuuuuuuullshit.

dustrock
01-15-2008, 02:12 PM
It probably would have worked better as a 3rd or 4th track, but I'll always enjoy it.

i_adore_adore
01-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Ava Adore is sooooo good. I love everything about it.

That's pretty much all I have to say.

T&T
01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

i know

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

we're just like old friends

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

we just can't pretend

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

perfect

that lovers make amends

dustrock
01-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I have to say, this is one of the few Smashing Pumpkins songs I can't stand. I don't know why, maybe it's just too similar to 1979....

As I mentioned before, it also feels out of place in the tracklisting, considering To Sheila, Ava Adore, and Daphne Descends are all relatively somber tracks.

wilch
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Why does everyone hate Perfect its a great song.

rolmos
01-16-2008, 12:42 PM
It is a great song, but it fits in Adore worse than Ava Adore. I always just skip it.

i_adore_adore
01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
As I mentioned before, it also feels out of place in the tracklisting, considering To Sheila, Ava Adore, and Daphne Descends are all relatively somber tracks.

Maybe you're talking more about the sound of the music, but I think "Perfect" is pretty somber. It's actually one of the saddest Pumpkins songs for me. "Next time I promise we'll be perfect." It feels like he's trying to convince himself more than anyone else, and that is so sad. When life is such a disappointment that you have to just detach from reality and say, "Better luck next time." It may sound like I'm poking fun, but this song hits home with me more than a lot of Pumpkins songs. It may not be one of my favorites, but lyrically (although simple) I think it's one of Billy's best. He rarely writes straight-forward lyrics, and on this rare ocassion when he did I think it worked out really well.

He played this in Normal. It was soooo so so beautiful. I love that Jimmy just sat there chillin' with his tambourine XD

xezton
01-16-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't really like the song so much. I agree with whoever said it's like 1979. I think I've mentioned that before on here (as I'm sure others have, especially with the video using characters from the 1979 vid).

To me it just feels like he had a bunch of songs ready for Adore, and the producers or whatever were like, "We need another 1979 to carry this one... although this is a very creative album, we don't feel any of the other tracks will be accepted well enough to make us money. People just won't "get" Ava Adore because all they'll hear is 'whore' and 'pull your teeth'."

It just sounds like a forced entry into the album, it's only purpose to help your casual Pumpkins listener still enjoy the album, no matter how far it "deviated" from MCIS.

I still really like Adore. It generally goes back and forth between my first and second favorite SP album.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
perfect is such a sad song with poppy production. when i play this song for people they are like 'why are the pumpkins so happy?' i shake my head and say 'listen to the lyrics, they are depressing as shit.'

when billy played this song on the latest tour i think it brought out the emotion of the song better.

one of my favorites

i_adore_adore
01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
^slingero gets it, fo' sho'

So far I still know who you are
But now I wonder who I was

Daaaaang, Billy... my God, this song has that classic hopeful/hopeless happy/sad Pumpkins thing going. This song is so human.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-16-2008, 08:39 PM
when i had to leave my girlfriend in scotland this past fall this song came on during the flight back.

i wasnt going to see her again for several months. we had talked about how it was going to be weird being around each other again after such a long time, but that this decision was the best for both of us (i had a great gig offer back in the states). her dream was to travel the world, and now she was getting to do it.

angel you know it's not the end
we'll always be good friends
but the letters have been sent on

so please
you always were so free
you'll see
i promise we'll be perfect

perfect
strangers when we meet
strangers on the street
lovers while we sleep

perfect
you know this has to be
we always were so free
we promised that we'd be perfect

i cried like a baby when i heard that

june_soma
01-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Ahh, perfect. Also one of those song that are great after the breakup, but this time when he still misses you. I've sent this to one guy who was still hoping it would work out. Maybe that is bitchy, but the song is so bitter sweet, like any brake up, and it came from a good place in my heart. "We'll always be good friends..."

themadcaplaughs
01-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Never been a huge fan of the song. I can live with or without it. It just seems so light and unsubstantial compared to songs like To Sheila, Ava Adore, Daphne Descends, and Once Upon a Time. The video never did much for me either.

I think the song was one of the band's more popular single though. When it was played in Atlanta (much like the Normal show with Jimmy and the tambourine) the crowd really seemed to love it.

dustrock
01-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't mind hearing an acoustic version. The lyrics are good and it's a well-written song, it just drives me crazy for some reason. Again, would have been better with Jimmy.

I think I've heard enough of Billy's voice being sampled (don't get me started on Try, Try, Try).

Esty
01-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Ava Adore is sooooo good. I love everything about it.

That's pretty much all I have to say.

What great song discussion from adore. Fantastic.

tcm
01-17-2008, 06:19 AM
man i love the bagpipes.

Mablak
01-17-2008, 06:30 AM
man i love the bagpipes.
I take this as a big fuck you to sppunk and his on topic policy, and I support it. Ted will talk about bagpipes whenever and however he pleases.

:mad:

tcm
01-17-2008, 06:34 AM
no man, in the puff daddy remix. of perfect.

Mablak
01-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Oh see I didn't know what you were referring to, I was guessing you were just shooting the breeze about bagpipes. Carry on then.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-17-2008, 06:40 AM
i'll talk about bagpipes at random

i was in edinburgh during the fringe festival. i got so sick of them i actually paid one of the douches next to st giles to stop playing. he did

tcm
01-17-2008, 06:42 AM
well it was nice knowing you SlingeroGuitaro.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-17-2008, 06:45 AM
i think i met more aussies while i was there than anything else. half of them were really cool. the other half were overly obnoxious alcoholics.

tcm
01-17-2008, 06:50 AM
don't be a hero SlingeroGuitaro.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-17-2008, 06:53 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l39/slingeroguitaro/perrrfect.jpg

wilch
01-17-2008, 12:47 PM
its daphne day. cool song, i like the part "and through the winding vines" etc.

dustrock
01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
gets a bit repetitive, but very enjoyable. Reminds me of Achtung Baby era U2 for some reason.

Mayfuck
01-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Daphne Descends is awesome. i dunno it seems melodramatic too. love the guitars in the song , especially that extra heap of guitars that go da-da dun right before the chorus comes in and the high pitched wailing throughout. ''through the pinhole stars'' part has excellent production with those 'wet' percussion effects. my favorite adore song outside the last few tracks.

i_adore_adore
01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
I love the way daphne sounds. I love the lyrics, I love everything :) I will say this song has gotten a little old after listening to it so much, where most others remain fresh. But it's still a good song :)

Fritter
01-17-2008, 07:42 PM
i think i met more aussies while i was there than anything else. half of them were really cool. the other half were overly obnoxious alcoholics.

Yeah, this is a pretty good representation of the Australian population.

MistaMista1
01-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Daphne was the first song that clued me into the fact that Adore wasn't all that great after an insane opening sequence. And it pales in comparison to what follows.

I don't hate it as much as I used to.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, this is a pretty good representation of the Australian population.

so which are youuuuuuuuuuuu ;)

daphne is good

Home
01-18-2008, 08:58 AM
daphne sucks, "17" is the best adore song

i_adore_adore
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
It's "Once Upon a Time" dayyyy!!! :)

So this song is basically my favorite Adore song (okay, maybe not all-time favorite, but definitely top five). I think it's one of the most underrated Adore songs, too. I loooooove the imagery I get from it. For some reason when I hear it I think of red and white flower petals falling from the sky. It's lovely ;) I love the "I went faaaaaaaaaaaaaaallin'" part. It reminds me of "And the niiiiiiiight mare" (I'm pretty sure they're the exact same notes... but I've never listened to the two parts one right after the other, so I'm just guessing). Anyway, I love everything about it. The instrumentation is beautiful, the lyrics are perfect... everything is wonderful.

"I haven't given up, I lie"

<3

Home
01-19-2008, 09:48 AM
It's "Once Upon a Time" dayyyy!!! :)

So this song is basically my favorite Adore song (okay, maybe not all-time favorite, but definitely top five). I think it's one of the most underrated Adore songs, too. I loooooove the imagery I get from it. For some reason when I hear it I think of red and white flower petals falling from the sky. It's lovely ;) I love the "I went faaaaaaaaaaaaaaallin'" part. It reminds me of "And the niiiiiiiight mare" (I'm pretty sure they're the exact same notes... but I've never listened to the two parts one right after the other, so I'm just guessing). Anyway, I love everything about it. The instrumentation is beautiful, the lyrics are perfect... everything is wonderful.

"I haven't given up, I lie"

<3

"17" has more poetic lyrics

skipgo
01-19-2008, 10:11 AM
hey home, if you don't like adore, talk about it somewhere else. We're trying to "appreciate" the songs here.

T&T
01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
I went bowling!

loser2d
01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
hey home, if you don't like adore, talk about it somewhere else. We're trying to "appreciate" the songs here.

Dont attack him, a lot of people have been doing the same thing such as comparing songs to others and saying one is stronger than another. So I dont see the big deal with what he is doing.
Anyways, what song are we on?

i_adore_adore
01-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Tear.

This song needs to be bigger. I think this is one of those rare Adore songs that I think could have been so much better with a little tweaking. A while ago there was an Adore production discussion thread, and a lot of people mentioned the tinniness of this song. I happen to agree. I think it could have been so much more profound if it had a meatier feel to it. It just falls short. The live version, on the other hand, is incredible.

I do love the verse part... the little bleeps in the background. I think the first verse is one of the great musical moments of Adore, as well as the part right after "for taking you away," right before "The lights came to pass." I love the way it sounds.

The rest of the song just needs MORE, though...

Also, this was one of the songs that got me through my dog dying.

And for the first time heaven seemed insane
'Cause heaven is to blame
For taking you away

Such a simple thing to say, but it really captures how it feels when you lose something or someone.

tcm
01-20-2008, 12:54 AM
i don't think anything on Adore should be big ... i'ts ADORE!!!but whaatever...

and yeah it is an excellent live song but a real shame they haven't played it more with Jimmy. yet.

dustrock
01-20-2008, 12:58 AM
The production never really bothered me. Tear has always been one of my favorites on Adore. Again, it's not like anything we really heard from the Pumpkins before. The drumming is quite good on this song - Matt Walker? I know I'm repeating myself, but it's just not the same without Jimmy.

Clearly that's part of what makes Adore the way it is, but I'd love to hear them replace all the drum tracks on Adore with Jimmy playing. Either that, or they should have used Matt Cameron more. Does anyone know if Cameron played on anything besides For Martha?

i_adore_adore
01-20-2008, 01:23 PM
i don't think anything on Adore should be big ... i'ts ADORE!!!but whaatever...

I feel like the song is trying to be big, though, and it falls short. Just what I think, tcm. Just what I think.

tcm
01-20-2008, 01:33 PM
nope.

i_adore_adore
01-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Just what I think.

tcm
01-20-2008, 02:25 PM
okay.

i love Crestfallen. etc.

tcm
01-20-2008, 02:26 PM
GOD STOP WORRYG ABOUT WHAT SONG IS *TRYING* TO BE AND LISTEN TO FOR WHAT IT IS< GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!

i_adore_adore
01-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Crestfallen is AMAZING. I love Billy's voice... he sounds numb in this until "And you may go/But I know you won't leave." I love that sort of... shutting off or disconnecting. The lyrics in this song just tear my heart to shreds.

GOD STOP WORRYG ABOUT WHAT SONG IS *TRYING* TO BE AND LISTEN TO FOR WHAT IT IS< GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!

k

hnibos
01-20-2008, 02:51 PM
crestfallen makes me so sad, so i try not to listen to the song

its good, though

tcm
01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
my fave bit is the last bit, the "and as you were, you'll be again..." bit. just caps off the song so artfully, and similar tricks are employed to even greater effects at the ends of Behold! and For Martha. Billy really knew what he was doing here.

wilch
01-20-2008, 03:11 PM
one of the weaker adore songs. I only really enjoy the part "and all I ask you, is for another chance..."

slunken
01-20-2008, 03:38 PM
i remember watching the crestfallen vh1 performance over and over and over again...i like the extended " i lo-ost maaaaaaaah faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaith" part...

was this the first billy solo piano performance?

also i've alwasy thought the most haunting lyrics were the "You are a ghost
Of my indecision
No more little girl" part that fades out of blank page...WTF? almost as if he had something he felt he really needed to say to sum up the feelings yet they(the lyrics) obviously don't fit into the song anywhere but he just HAD to tag them on...

SlingeroGuitaro
01-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Crestfallen is AMAZING. I love Billy's voice... he sounds numb in this until "And you may go/But I know you won't leave." I love that sort of... shutting off or disconnecting. The lyrics in this song just tear my heart to shreds.

i read this thread mainly to see how much you are going to gush over the adore SOTD.

:eek:

i_adore_adore
01-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Thank you for caring... ha.

OMG ADORE <3 :love:

mayday
01-20-2008, 09:12 PM
i adore adore =)

mayday
01-20-2008, 09:17 PM
in crestfallen i like how he pronunciates/sings "never" in "you were never meant to belong to me"

great album. great song. great vocals. great piano. great release.

love it

skipgo
01-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Dont attack him, a lot of people have been doing the same thing such as comparing songs to others and saying one is stronger than another. So I dont see the big deal with what he is doing.
Anyways, what song are we on?

i would hardly call what i said an "attack". lighten up.

loser2d
01-20-2008, 09:48 PM
i would hardly call what i said an "attack". lighten up.

no thank you
:)

skipgo
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
i knew i was the one you wanted to get banned. :(

loser2d
01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
i knew i was the one you wanted to get banned. :(

Actually no, I find you nice. I would be crestfallen, which the song is badass, it is another one that I want to see gone!

I love the song crestfallen.

skipgo
01-20-2008, 09:56 PM

i love crestfallen too.

loser2d
01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
good
Nice piano on it.

mayday
01-20-2008, 11:09 PM
pre-happiness for blank page. blank page is in my top most listened to and liked SP songs. when i was 17 and 18 i would fall asleep to it most nights. just beautiful

Mayfuck
01-20-2008, 11:24 PM
crestfallen and tear are the weak link in the album

Mayfuck
01-20-2008, 11:30 PM
but notice how the harmonies in crestfallen are pretty pleasant compared to the piercing whines on zeitgeist. billys voice can be soothing if its overproduced and kept low in the mix.

ciGarski
01-20-2008, 11:51 PM
crestfallen and tear are the weak link in the album

way to totally invalidate your opinion.

tear is fucking crucial to the whole idea of the record and the result of the period of his life addressed in adore.

dustrock
01-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Crestfallen is a "good light/bad light girlfriend" kind of song. At times, I really enjoy it and understand what Billy was going for with it, and other times I think it's a touch saccharine.

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 01:48 AM
once you go through what crestfallen is speaking of, you will appreciate it from that point on. until then, probably not.

Sarcastic Smile
01-21-2008, 02:04 AM
I've been listening to Adore lately since this thread and it's very clear to me how much better Billy's voice sounds than on Zeitgeist.. It sounds like it has the feeling behind it. I don't get that from zeitgeist but maybe it's just the drastic differences of the songs in general... I think maybe his voice is meant to sound better on zeitgeist to the general populous.

p.s-I know everyone already thinks that, thanks.

Fritter
01-21-2008, 02:09 AM
way to totally invalidate your opinion.

tear is fucking crucial to the whole idea of the record and the result of the period of his life addressed in adore.

It could definitely do with some trimming though. I would've cut out Ava, Perfect and A+O. They just don't fit.

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 12:10 PM
It could definitely do with some trimming though. I would've cut out Ava, Perfect and A+O. They just don't fit.

what does this have to do with tear?

tcm
01-21-2008, 12:13 PM

it's Appels + Oranjes Day, dummy.

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 12:15 PM
it's Appels + Oranjes Day, dummy.

then why did he quote me about tear, you fucking weirdo.

tcm
01-21-2008, 12:16 PM
then why did he quote me about tear, you fucking weirdo.

he was agreeing with you implicitly, you massive boner.

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 12:17 PM
can he speak for himself or are you his big brother?

tcm
01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
he's not here right now, but if you'd like to leave a message...

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 12:21 PM
actually, the cool thing about internet message boards are that they act like messages. when he comes back, not only will the post still be here, but (i hope you're sitting for this) he will be able to respond to it!!! ahhh isn't that cool?

wilch
01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah noone's falling for that cigaski nice try

tcm
01-21-2008, 12:29 PM
and when will that be? tomorrow? next week? it would all be irrelevant by then, and who knows if that day will even come? i believe in living every day as if it's our last. it is like the song (Appels + Oranjes, Smashing Pumpkins) says: what if the sun refused to shine? what are you gonna do, ciGarski?

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
i dont know.

smashkin33
01-21-2008, 02:14 PM
so it's a+o day? really?

i like this song a lot, it's in my adore top 3.
it's the second song i heard off the album, after ava adore. a local radio station played it before the album came out. that was 10 years ago & i still remember. dayyyymn i'm a nerd.

my favorite line: "digging for the feel of something new"

Mayfuck
01-21-2008, 02:55 PM
a+o was immediately my favorite track on Adore when i first listened to the album. now its dropped behind nitemare, to sheila, blank page and for martha but its still pretty awesome. probably cause its so heavy on the new order influence, one of the first bands i loved.

hnibos
01-21-2008, 02:56 PM
a+o may be my favorite pumpkin song....

skipgo
01-21-2008, 03:28 PM
no kidding about the new order influence; for a long time it was all i could think about when i heard that song. a+o is a big favorite of mine; almost everything on adore is, come to think of it.

rolmos
01-21-2008, 03:44 PM
AM I the only one that thinks the chorus is a bit kitschy?

i_adore_adore
01-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Am I the only one who can't stand Appels + Oranjes? Adore's one and only downfall...

rolmos
01-21-2008, 04:09 PM
:banging: :love:

Mablak
01-21-2008, 04:18 PM
A+O didn't sound that great the first time I heard it. But I like it fairly well now, I think the 'it came from your thoughts, your dreams and visions' part really makes the song.

i_adore_adore
01-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I think if A+O was replaced by "Once in a While" or "My Mistake" (not necessarily in the same place in the track list), Adore would seriously be perfect.

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
wasn't once in a while on a Europe or Japanese import?

i think a and o was pretty important to the idea of adore being an electronic folk album, or however billy discribed it. the wiki on adore is pretty in depth as far as an album entry goes.

skipgo
01-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I think if A+O was replaced by "Once in a While" or "My Mistake" (not necessarily in the same place in the track list), Adore would seriously be perfect.

i love a+o so much i can't agree with you; but i do wish those two songs had been included. They would have fit perfectly, and they're both incredibly good songs. Once in a While, especially, is one of my top ten favorite sp tracks ever.

i_adore_adore
01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I love how Billy's voice sounds on that song... so weak and pathetic. In a good way.

(Sorry I'm not talking about A+O, guys...)

SlingeroGuitaro
01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
i like syd barretts version better

JuneSnow
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Adore, to me, is an album of such serene poetry, of such darkness. A + O just doesn't seem to carry the poetic weight of the rest of the album. I think, conceptually, the lyrics are interesting and slightly despairing but ultimately come out un-fulfilled and weak.

Some people spoke earlier of songs like Ava Adore and Perfect sounding out of place; I'd have to say this is the most out of place song on the album. It takes away from the nocturnal serenity of the work as a whole.

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
i think it lightens adore. and it needs that.

Fritter
01-21-2008, 10:44 PM

Clearly i was agreeing with you that Tear shouldn't be cut but that as a whole Adore could do without a few songs (Ava, Perfect and A+O).

ciGarski
01-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Clearly i was agreeing with you that Tear shouldn't be cut but that as a whole Adore could do without a few songs (Ava, Perfect and A+O).

oh ok that makes sense.

slunken
01-21-2008, 11:52 PM
as much as i usually dislike the singles that an album belches up, i actually really like the song "perfect"; i would put it in my top 20 fer sure (maybe less?)...but A & O i never really got into

hell, they barely played it live...at least ava adore got some treatments...

but i agree w/ 'garski; i think it lightens adore. and it needs that.only in the sense that it is pure filler. but not in a harsh way. i don't hate it. it just fills in the gaps

billy started to focus more and more on "ALBUMS" as opposed to "SONGS" on this one (Adore)

ciGarski
01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
i guess its filler. but i like how pumpkins filler back then is debatable if it even is filler. IMHO.

ciGarski
01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
filler

slunken
01-22-2008, 12:40 AM
go download my tangerine dream link; the first track is 20 minutes of the "find you another son" part of gossamer; i have authority on that (but no proof :( )

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?p=3143354#post3143354

very influential to zeitgeist

vaccine
01-22-2008, 01:06 AM
What if the silence let you dream?
What if the air could let you breathe?
What if the words would bring you here?
What if this sound could bring you peace?

Rock on.

slunken
01-22-2008, 01:16 AM
And where do we go from here
Which is the way that's clear
Still looking for that blue jean, baby queen
Prettiest girl I ever seen

very influential to machina

Sarcastic Smile
01-22-2008, 03:03 AM
ahahahahahahahaahhahahahahah

I can't believe I was criticized for posting song lyrics...

smashkin33
01-22-2008, 08:29 AM
ahahahahahahahaahhahahahahah

I can't believe I was criticized for posting song lyrics...

yeah! how dare you!

smashkin33
01-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Pug day.
as i've said for many songs on this album...
pug live > pug album

it was my favorite part of the 98 tour.

waltermcphilp
01-22-2008, 09:24 AM
something about Pug that just doesn't sit right with me. oh yea, it sucks.

smashkin33
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
something about Pug that just doesn't sit right with me. oh yea, it sucks.
:flame:
you do this to me all the time!!!!

waltermcphilp
01-22-2008, 09:28 AM
i haven't missed appels and oranjes have i?

smashkin33
01-22-2008, 09:29 AM
YES! thank god!

waltermcphilp
01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
THERE IS NO GOD!

SlingeroGuitaro
01-22-2008, 09:59 AM
im your god

rolmos
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
here ya go:
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VXAVW4D4L.jpg

ciGarski
01-22-2008, 12:14 PM
pug was my second favorite song when i first got adore, it was the more rockin song on the album next to ava. i was one of the people that was just like oh god there really isn't any rock. not even TEITBITE or eye type rock. for an eighth grader it was a really hard album to get into.

now i usually skip pug.

wilch
01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gadget_the_pug_expressive_eyes.jpg

Pugs have large, expressive eyes and a wrinkled face. Improper care of the wrinkles can sometimes cause adverse health effects.

ciGarski
01-22-2008, 12:37 PM
does anyone have that remix he put up on myspace acouple years ago? slug

tcm
01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
great track. really taps the loins. there is some harmonic peculiarity that makes it kind of gooey and icky sonically while pulling you in with its groove. the Pumpkins song to which i am most tempted to directly apply my genitals if such a thing is possible award goes to this song.

and the MACHINA era version kills. slaughters, even.

ciGarski
01-22-2008, 12:45 PM
it's very possible.

wilch
01-22-2008, 01:06 PM
are you saying you are a Pug virgin TCM?

tcm
01-22-2008, 02:12 PM
:BLUSH:

tcm
01-22-2008, 02:49 PM
does anyone have that remix he put up on myspace acouple years ago? slug

oh uh, wasn't that just the album version, not a remix?

dustrock
01-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I would have loved to have Satellites, Once in a While and My Mistake on Adore. Billy always leaves some of his best work off each album, but the problem with Adore is that we never got finished versions of these songs in the form of b-sides.

I also had Pug as one of my early favorites, and now usually skip. The drums bug me. I like the little distorted bit at the end.

MistaMista1
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Once in a While was an Ava Adore b-side.

Pug is probably the only track on Adore on which my opinion has changed drastically over time. I originally lumped it in with all of the other mediocre digital type songs but it began to separate itself after a while. I hadn't noticed until recently how complex it is, i.e. built around several different riffs/melodies.

dustrock
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Once in a While was an Ava Adore b-side.

whoops, good call.

i_adore_adore
01-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Pug is SO cool... Billy sounds hawt. I love that little guitar thing right after the first "Into into you" *boom ner ner boom ner ner* ya know?

Yeah.

Dang, I like this song :) I think it's one of the weaker on Adore, but even it is incredible.

tcm
01-24-2008, 03:07 PM
hey guys, how did you enjoy your vacations.

well it's The Tale Of Dusty And Pistol Pete Day... great song, i have to say.

waltermcphilp
01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
i concur.

RenewRevive
01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
seconded.

i_adore_adore
01-24-2008, 07:02 PM
This is one of those songs that just takes me to another place every time I hear it. I love how the guitar sounds during the verses, and the chorus just totally blows me away every time. I really have no idea what this song is about, but I don't really have to. "Her inside HIM" is one of my favorite Billy moments vocally. There's just something about it... so earnest and pure :)

dustrock
01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
great production on this one. Billy's singing is great, seems kinda whimsical. Kinda wish Billy listened to how he arranged the backing vocals on this song before doing Zeitgeist.

this song seems like a logical progression from some of the Melon Collie tracks.

only thing that bugs me sometimes is the "clip clop" sample, which is only really noticeable when all the other instruments are silent.

i_adore_adore
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
awww i love the clip clop!

RenewRevive
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
or clop clip.

Sarcastic Smile
01-24-2008, 11:07 PM
I have my itunes on shuffle and I had no clue what song day it was.. and coincidentally this song was playing when I opened the thread.. creepy