View Full Version : American Gothic vs. Djali Zwan

seign
01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
American Gothic has a very Djali vibe to it. For example, compare "Pox" to "The Spy Tra La". Very similar. In my opinion, this is a good thing though. I was a big Djali fan and was disappointed, to say the least, that none of those songs ever got an official release.

MonteLDS
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
can we stop the American Gothic threads

as for the similar sounds, yes we all knew that this crap was Z2

smashkin33
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
make it a poll!

waltermcphilp
01-09-2008, 12:52 PM
PIES!

Mo
01-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Djali Zwan > American Gothic SP

seign
01-09-2008, 01:06 PM

as for the similar sounds, yes we all knew that this crap was Z2

Well, I never got a chance to really comment on the EP and since most of the posts I've seen regarding it are negative, I felt like throwing something positive in the mix for those of us that like it. Anyway, here's how I rate the songs after having listened to it several times over the last week:

Sunkissed: 8.5 - A very "Sunday morning" song.
Rose March: 8.3 - I don't get why people are bitching about this song so much. The "ladadas" don't bother me at all, nor does the layered vocals. I think I'm one of the only people around here that actually likes the layered vocals Billy's been using a lot lately.
Pox: 8 - Like I said, very Zwanish. It also reminds me of Untitled a little.
Again, Again, Again: 6.5 - My least favorite of the 4. Nothing really stands out to me on this one. Very "meh".

seign
01-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Djali Zwan > American Gothic SP

It's impossible to disagree with that. I mean, comparing the 25+ Djali songs to these 4 isn't even a fight.

skipgo
01-09-2008, 01:30 PM

why? it's relevant to the board.
The band puts out new material, people can be expected to talk about it. Would you have us make more threads about zeitgeist? a poll maybe?

elektricsouls
01-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I like the AG ep as well. But that Zwan shit was awesome. Songs like; Held A Rose, A New Poetry(at Hideout), Friends As Lovers, Riverview, Freedom Ain't What It Used To Be, etc., are far and away better (and let's not forget the Chicago Songs!). Billy's body of work will never be fully appreciated until he somehow releases all this at some point so that the average music fan can finally see why this board is still operational and why he still has so many supporters!

Mayfuck
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
DJ Zwan all the way, theres no competition.

somaziro
01-09-2008, 02:24 PM
this is idiotic. just because their are some acoustic guitars does not mean it sounds like djali zwan. it, in fact, sounds NOTHING like djali zwan.

redbull
01-09-2008, 04:49 PM
this is idiotic. just because their are some acoustic guitars does not mean it sounds like djali zwan. it, in fact, sounds NOTHING like djali zwan.

/thread

i_adore_adore
01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Rose March: 8.3 - I don't get why people are bitching about this song so much. The "ladadas" don't bother me at all, nor does the layered vocals. I think I'm one of the only people around here that actually likes the layered vocals Billy's been using a lot lately.

I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I was so disappointed with the AG version of The Rose March was because I listened to the residency version A LOT. I love that song performed live. I love the simplicity of it. I think that a lot of the charm got taken away in the studio because of the "la dee das" and layered vocals. It wouldn't bother me if they weren't so LOUD and dry. I actually like the layered vocals, too! I think it's an interesting idea. I think it could have been executed better, but overall I'm glad he did it. But for The Rose March, I think the song suffered. Not every song he writes is going to sound good layered vocals (and of course, what "sounds good" to me obviously isn't what "sounds good" to everyone else. I'm just talking about my opinion) But after a few more listens, I've gotten used to the AG version, and I actually like it now.

As for the DZ comparison, I dunno... I can see where you're coming from, but I think of American Gothic as a more stripped-down Zeitgeist than anything else.

wpc33
01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
It's impossible to disagree with that. I mean, comparing the 25+ Djali songs to these 4 isn't even a fight.
Fuck you.
Any song of Djali is better than the entire last year of releases combined. Not just for how good Djali was, but also how bad Billy has become

exactlythesame
01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
what's your gig, wpc

wpc33
01-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Madison Square Garden TONIGHT
BE THERE!

Corganist
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM

I wouldn't say that. Obviously the Djali stuff is in a league of its own songwriting-wise, but I do think the sound of AG is reminiscent of the Djali Zwan.

AG - Acoustic guitar, little bit of electric lead guitar, Jimmy drumming, and Billy vocals.

DZ - Acoustic guitar, little bit of electric lead guitar, Jimmy drumming, and Billy vocals.

Listen to "Pox" and then listen to "Roma Girl" and tell me that they don't sound at least a little similar.

somaziro
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't say that. Obviously the Djali stuff is in a league of its own songwriting-wise, but I do think the sound of AG is reminiscent of the Djali Zwan.

AG - Acoustic guitar, little bit of electric lead guitar, Jimmy drumming, and Billy vocals.

DZ - Acoustic guitar, little bit of electric lead guitar, Jimmy drumming, and Billy vocals.

Listen to "Pox" and then listen to "Roma Girl" and tell me that they don't sound at least a little similar.

jesus christ you are an idiot. a shit ton of the residency songs had acoustic guitar and a bit of electric guitar, jimmy drumming and billy on vocals and they sound NOTHING LIKE DJALI ZWAN.

Corganist
01-09-2008, 06:56 PM
jesus christ you are an idiot. a shit ton of the residency songs had acoustic guitar and a bit of electric guitar, jimmy drumming and billy on vocals and they sound NOTHING LIKE DJALI ZWAN.

Where did I say all the residency songs sounded like Djali Zwan? Most of them don't. I'm not even saying the American Gothic songs sound strikingly like Djali Zwan, but you can't say they sound "NOTHING" alike, because it just ain't so. You have to try pretty hard to not hear even a slight similarity.

somaziro
01-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I just don't hear it. /shrug

dustrock
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
again, again, again sounds pretty much exactly like a Zwan song to me.

andrewface
01-10-2008, 11:53 AM
i dont get why people dont like american gothic...what were you expecting...for an acoustic record its great...i think some of the songs shoulda been on zeitgeist instead of crap like neverlost

andrewface
01-10-2008, 11:53 AM
again, again, again sounds pretty much exactly like a Zwan song to me.

zwan sound like the smashing pumpkins...so its appropriate

seign
01-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Read my post. I wasn't just throwing Djali Zwan out there because it was acoustic. Note my comparison of The Spy Tra La to Pox. Two songs that sound very similar. These songs don't sound anything like old acoustic pumpkins songs (see: Cherub Rock from Vieuphoria or acoustic Rocket etc.).

I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I was so disappointed with the AG version of The Rose March was because I listened to the residency version A LOT. I love that song performed live. I love the simplicity of it. I think that a lot of the charm got taken away in the studio because of the "la dee das" and layered vocals. It wouldn't bother me if they weren't so LOUD and dry. I actually like the layered vocals, too! I think it's an interesting idea. I think it could have been executed better, but overall I'm glad he did it. But for The Rose March, I think the song suffered. Not every song he writes is going to sound good layered vocals (and of course, what "sounds good" to me obviously isn't what "sounds good" to everyone else. I'm just talking about my opinion) But after a few more listens, I've gotten used to the AG version, and I actually like it now.

As for the DZ comparison, I dunno... I can see where you're coming from, but I think of American Gothic as a more stripped-down Zeitgeist than anything else.

Yeah, I never really listened to the live Rose March from the residency gigs much so my opinion wasn't biased. I see what you're saying though. And the layered vocals do work better in smaller doses. I'd personally like to hear Ginger and Lisa on background vocals in the future. Female background vocals would work so much better than layered Billy vocals IMO.

i dont get why people dont like american gothic...what were you expecting...for an acoustic record its great.

Exactly. But Neverlost is a great song. I wish Billy would release a full-length acoustic album in the future. I think one is long overdue.

Mo
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM

But that was the question... right?

i_adore_adore
01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
I'd personally like to hear Ginger and Lisa on background vocals in the future. Female background vocals would work so much better than layered Billy vocals IMO.

You and me both.

dustrock
01-10-2008, 04:15 PM
zwan sound like the smashing pumpkins...so its appropriate

Yes and No. Zwan had a slightly different vibe than the Pumpkins. "Again x3" has that Zwan sound to me.

i_adore_adore
01-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I honestly think the only reason people say zwan had a different "vibe" is because it had a different name. The Pumpkins changed their sound constantly, and Zwan sounds like another Pumpkins album to me.

But of course, I can't speak for everyone :) Just saying...

arCHI
01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Ginger and Lisa on BGV would be nice. I don't mind billy layering his vocals it's just too much, too often, and many times too loud. also, as i_adore_adore pointed out, especially on AG the vocals are so dry. i think with some female bgv, more appropriate levels and a more wet sound AG would sound pretty good (but hell, that has been the story of the past year). overall, i like the EP; the songs are pretty good.

doesn't really sound like zwan though

Mo
01-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I honestly think the only reason people say zwan had a different "vibe" is because it had a different name. The Pumpkins changed their sound constantly, and Zwan sounds like another Pumpkins album to me.

ZWAN sounded like the Pumpkins on a lot of E.

i_adore_adore
01-10-2008, 04:28 PM
^ Truth.

skipgo
01-10-2008, 05:19 PM

for me, the difference is that pumpkins have an overall sad feeling, whereas zwan had an overall happy feeling.