View Full Version : lyrical content

areyougaffney?
01-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I was just thinking about zeitgeist today and although many of the songs mean something to me now musical and I have an emotional connection to many of them, lyrically nothing really hits me.

Pretty much all of siamese dreams lyrics are important to me, as are many of mellon collies and again adore. however after taht although many songs I truly love, lyrically the subject matter doesn't hit home as much.

Just wondered what the last song Billy wrote was that lyrically alone got to you. Mine is think you know, before that I'd have to say it'd be something off adore.

i_adore_adore
01-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Pretty much all of siamese dreams lyrics are important to me, as are many of mellon collies and again adore. however after taht although many songs I truly love, lyrically the subject matter doesn't hit home as much.

What are your feelings on Gish?

And to answer your question, I think definitely "The Leaving Lament" or "I Don't Mind."

cork_soaker
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
the leaving lament has lovely lyrics.
it's the most recent song to have made me goosebump'ly

i_adore_adore
01-07-2008, 05:09 PM
^ Me, too.

I wish I could understand everything he's saying... But it's all good. I have a general idea...

T&T
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
lets dig up all the old posts about how billy is just rambling nonsense on SD & MCIS

"Shot full of diamonds and a million years"
"come around ruby i could never sleep alone"

BumbleBeeMouth
01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
zeitgeist zeitgeist

???
01-07-2008, 06:55 PM
bc's lyrics have been pretty lazy post-tfe i think. still have their moments though but they're far less consistent.

i_adore_adore
01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm not a fan of TFE's lyrics for the most part, either. Or Zwan's (okay, I take it back... or MSOTS) Machina had its great moments, Machina II even more (remember when I said I really didn't like Machina II? I changed my mind). But I think Adore was the last GREAT album lyrically for Billy.

That said, I loooove Machina, MSOTS, and Zeitgeist. Not TFE, though. Hrm...

???
01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
i'd say adore was his greatest album lyrically, without a doubt. they're so poetic and evocative. i think my favourite line is:

and thru the winding vines
the pretty boys dive
and thru the pinhole stars
into the shadow mind
will you lose him then
on some gentle dawn?
this boy is here and gone

i can't say i totally comprehend the meaning of those but there is something surreal and transcendental about them for me. delving into the subconscious.

i_adore_adore
01-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Adore is definitely the most... poetic album of his. However, I tend to relate more to MCIS. There was something innocent about the way he wrote lyrics on that album. Adore was much deeper and mature. Some of my all-time favorite lyrics are:

"And you may go, but I know you won't leave
Too many years built into memories
Your life is not your own"

There's nothing incredibly special about them... They're so simple, but they're so beautiful. When I hear that, I have one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Rockin' Cherub
01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I was just thinking about zeitgeist today
l o l

Twineball
01-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Speak to me in a language I can hear
Humor me before I have to go
Deep in thought I forgive everyone
As the cluttered streets greet me once again
I know I can't be late.
Supper's waiting on the table.
Tomorrow's just an excuse away
So I pull my collar up and face the cold...
On my own.

Some of my favorite lyrics of Bill's.

june_soma
01-08-2008, 11:41 PM
For every chemical
you trade a piece of your soul
with no return

That line always made me feel ashamed of how I was living my life, cause it was always a powerful reminder that I was heading down in the wrong direction. It took me ten years to shake my habit and quit, and when I listen to that song now I send a thought to those of my friends who aren't as lucky. It always make me sad.

Reyngel
01-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Once Billy started singing about things I can't relate to, I stopped relating to his music. Well no shit, right?

Once Machina hit, he started writing about things that were a lot harder for the general public to relate to.

"If I were dead, would my record sell?"

How the hell can anyone relate to themes like that? Yeah, it was in-character, and not to be taken seriously. But that doesn't mean people can relate to it.

"You know I'm not dead!"

I mean seriously, come on.

Billy got older. And as a result, he started writing all of his songs in a sort of nostalgic, measuring-your-life-up kind of reflective way. He sized up his band, his image and his dreams through his songs, and as a result, the only one who could connect to most of his lyrics was Billy himself.

Does that mean he hasn't written a single song anyone can relate to since Adore? No. Songs like Stand Inside Your Love still talk about the basics like love. But those songs became more and more rare as time went by.

Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and Adore all focused on the things most people can relate to. Zeitgeist is a clear indication that Billy's finally grown up. He's under the Pumpkin name again, but he's still singing from the perspective of a 40-year old rockstar. Personally, I can't relate to that. Even his take on the status of politics and the media is something that doesn't grab me as hard as straight-up lyrics of love, loss and longing.

Adore was the last great Pumpkin album.

Nachtkabarett
01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Lyrically, I think the SP have been potent for the entire length of their carreer. Even songs I am not completely partial to, I usually have a respect for the songwriting and lyrical abilities show within it.