View Full Version : favorite movies of 2007

Shapan
01-04-2008, 09:31 AM
i really enjoyed a few movies this year, and im not as big of a movie buff as other netphorians, but i figured this would get some interesting replies. i feel like watching whatever ive been missing out on before school gets hectic again.

10. hot fuzz
9. 3:10 to yuma
8. juno
7. the namesake
6. ratatouille
5. shoot em up
4. eastern promises
3. no country for old men
2. the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford
1. there will be blood

a few honorable mentions: waitress, gone baby gone, superbad, the lookout, the bourne ultimatum

still haven't seen the darjeeling limited, persepolis, or charlie wilson's war, but im planning on catching all of em eventually.

mxzombie
01-04-2008, 10:56 AM
grindhouse
hot fuzz
superbad
into the wild
no country for old men

those are the only movies that i saw and liked that were released this year

ChristHimself!
01-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Just had a look through a list of some 2007 movies cause I caught up on a good few classics in the last year.

Zodiac, The Host, Grindhouse (particularly Planet Terror), Shoot Em Up, Fracture was alright, Sunshine, Severance, Cusack was great in 1408 but I didn't think the movie was amazing, Hot Fuzz was ok but I felt it was a bit of an anticlimax, personally I liked 300.

pink_ribbon_scars
01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Top Tier
This is England
Control
Gone Baby Gone
Talk To Me
No End In Sight

Second Tier
Away From Her
Atonement

Didn't Really Dig It
The Host

I'm Hardcore
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
the general standard of cinema is decreasing dramatically.

(by 'cinema', i dont mean 'independent film')

28if
01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Uhhhh I didn't see many movies this year

1. No Country For Old Men
2. 3:10 To Yuma
3. Superbad
4. Into The Wild
5. Hot Fuzz
6. Knocked Up

Still haven't seen Juno or Atonement. The movie theater here sucks.

julie
01-04-2008, 12:44 PM
1. no country for old men
2. eastern promises
3. bourne ultimatum
4. 3:10 to yuma
5. waitress
6. black book (zwartboek)
6. hot fuzz
7. ratatouille

i still haven't seen once, the namesake, there will be blood, juno or atonement but i'm sure they'll make the list.

Nimrod's Son
01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
i really enjoyed a few movies this year, and im not as big of a movie buff as other netphorians, but i figured this would get some interesting replies. i feel like watching whatever ive been missing out on before school gets hectic again.

10. hot fuzz
9. 3:10 to yuma
8. juno
7. the namesake
6. ratatouille
5. shoot em up
4. eastern promises
3. no country for old men
2. the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford
1. there will be blood

a few honorable mentions: waitress, gone baby gone, superbad, the lookout, the bourne ultimatum

still haven't seen the darjeeling limited, persepolis, or charlie wilson's war, but im planning on catching all of em eventually.

waitress? fuck you.

you should have just stopped your list at hot fuzz

Gossamer
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
3. Superbad
2. Zodiac
1. No Country For Old Men

I really want to see Into The Wild, There Will Be Blood, The Darjeeling Limited, Easter Promises, and The Assassination fo Jesse James, but I haven't been able to yet.

I'm sure most of them would make my list.

sickbadthing
01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Movies that didn't piss me off:

Hostel Part II
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters
Black Book
No Country For Old Men
Hot Fuzz
Breach
Zodiac
Ratatouille
3:10 to Yuma
Eastern Promises
Reno 911! Miami
Paprika
The Kingdom
Superbad
Bourne Ultimatum
Grindhouse
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
You Kill Me

Movies that were borderline pissing me off:

Knocked Up
Spiderman 3
Harry Potter and the Boner of the Penis
The Simpsons Movie
Black Snake Moan
Live Free or Die Hard

Movies that fucking pissed me off:

Revolver
Blades of Glory
Hairspray (especially because it was on to and from NJ)
Inland Empire (fuck David Lynch for releasing a student film)
Paris, Je T'aime (fuck every critic that gave this borefest a good review)
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At Worlds End
The Fred Claus trailer 4 months before it came out and before every fucking movie I saw leading up to when it was released

aurel
01-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Movies that fucking pissed me off:
Revolver

There may not be a worse film.

silent_brian13
01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
hands down 1. no country for old men

then eastern promises, 300, hot fuzz in no particular order

sickbadthing
01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
There may not be a worse film.

Thank god I downloaded it and didn't actually pay to see it in the theater.

Nidhogg
01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Easy #1 pick.

01) There Will Be Blood
02) No Country for Old Men
03) Into the Wild
04) Juno
05) Once
06) Michael Clayton
07) Black Snake Moan
08) Grindhouse
09) The Bourne Ultimatum
10) Knocked Up

Hon. mention: Sweeney Todd, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, Zodiac

Shapan
01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
waitress? fuck you.

you should have just stopped your list at hot fuzz

so you dislike those other 9 movies?

you're pretty stupid.

Ever
01-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't think I watched a single movie all last year

Andy /
01-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Somebody please tell me why Ratatouille is worthy of a top ten list.

JokeyLoki
01-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Movies I enjoyed (doesn't necessarily mean they were good, just enjoyable)

American Gangster
Beowulf (in 3D)
Die Hard 4
Grindhouse
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Hot Fuzz
Shoot Em Up
Spiderman 3

I didn't watch many movies this year :(

Shapan
01-04-2008, 09:41 PM
pretty much every pixar movie ive seen would probably fall somewhere in my top ten lists for the year

pixar movies just make me really happy like a kid by the time they end and i cant help but smile, i love them so much.

sickbadthing
Somebody please tell me why Ratatouille is worthy of a top ten list.

why shouldn't it

IT HAS A TALKING RAT WHO LIKES TO COOK FOR FRENCHIES AND VOICED BY PATTON OSWALD

I'm Hardcore
you're fucking gay Shapan

talk show host
01-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I have only seen three of the films mentioned in this thread so far: The Simpsons, Control and 300. Yet I saw more movies last year then any other year I think, they just weren't new releases. Go figure.

Shapan
01-04-2008, 09:42 PM
i didnt even know it was patton oswald, i hate that guy, but briefly for a couple of hours i loved him.

same with ellen degeneres in nemo, pixar has magical powers.

fuck you im hardcore you heartless cockfag.

sickbadthing
01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
patton oswald is funny

YOU ARE STUPID SHAPAN

STUPID

I'm Hardcore
01-04-2008, 09:47 PM
heartless cockfag

SHOVE YOUR COCK IN ME WHILE IN BEE FORM RAY ROMANO

ravenguy2000
01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
i didnt even know it was patton oswald, i hate that guy,

you're on beckham watch :mad:

Shapan
01-04-2008, 09:48 PM
WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT BEE COCKS

I'm Hardcore
01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Bee Movie was pixar, wasnt it?

julie
01-04-2008, 09:55 PM
dreamworks

Shapan
01-04-2008, 09:55 PM
no

nice job failing again

I'm Hardcore
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
its animated bullshit, animated bullshit is all the same

Shapan
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
congratulations you have fallen into the same logic as isle

ravenguy2000
01-04-2008, 09:57 PM
its animated bullshit, animated bullshit is all the same

we already did this thread with isle

like two days ago

I'm Hardcore
01-04-2008, 09:57 PM
how dare you

Ugly
01-05-2008, 04:33 AM
:banging:

<B>TEN BEST, '07</B>

<B>10) 3:10 to Yuma </B>

3:10 to Yuma by director James Mangold is a shot in the arm for the Western genre. When villainous ne’er-do-well Ben Wade (Russell Crowe) is captured by a gimp farmer, Dan Evans (Christian Bale), Evans becomes part of a posse that hits the dusty trail to get Wade on the 3:10 p.m. train to Yuma prison. What makes this film entertaining are two performances by the leads, and both actors that give it their all in every scene. With Ben Foster’s bloodthirsty baddie, nifty shoot-outs, well-written dialogue, and an exploding horse, it makes Yuma one entertaining ride.

<B>9) Paris, je t’aime</B>

Twenty short films all about Paris by twenty directors turns out to be one of the most diverse films of the year. Paris, je t’amie is interesting potpourri: the Coen Brothers and Steve Buscemi show why it’s important to never make eye contact on the subway; Walter Salles and Daniela Thomas contribute an aching tale about a worker and her lonely morning commute, Sylivain Chomet pulls off a mircale by making mimes interesting, Vincenzo Natali takes Elijah Wood on a beautifully shot and twisted vampire tale, Alexander Payne’s final film is sad yet uplifting at the same time, and many more vignettes about the city of lights.

<B>8) The King Of Kong: A Fistful Of Quarters</B>

A really cool and extremely geeky documentary about one man, Steve Wiebe, trying to break the world record at Donkey Kong is deceptively engrossing. It basically starts off as a joke: Wiebe is a nerd obsessed with an arcade game from the 80s; the record holder, Billy Mitchell, comes off as some dork who takes videogames too seriously. Eventually, King of Kong morphs into a gigantic metaphor about little guy fighting against the system. Wiebe becomes a sympathetic everyman and Mitchel becomes one of the vilest villains of the year. A must watch for documentary buffs and videogamers.

<B>7) The Lookout</B>

Reminiscent of modern noir classics like Fargo and Memento, but wholly original in its own right, The Lookout is a fractured take on dealing with mental and physical handicaps, overcoming personal tragedies, and bank heists. Joseph Gordan Lewit gives an emotionally wrenching performance as a brain damaged janitor with new friends that want to rob the bank where he works. Featuring a great supporting cast with Jeff Daniels as a sarcastic blind buddy, Isla Fisher (Wedding Crashers) as a alluring femme fetale, Matthew Goode as a charismatic wannabe criminal mastermind, and a really scary dude carrying a shotgun who kind of looks like Geddy Lee. An underrated sleeper.

<B>6) No Country For Old Men </B>

The second appearance of the Coen Brothers on this year’s list stands up as an admirable addition to their already impressive resume. This adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’s novel follows a cowboy (Josh Brolin) who finds a stash of cash and ends up on the run from psycho-killer Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem). The movie creates strong scenes of tension, with the Coens striking directorial prowess delivering unexpected thrills. Bardem’s villain is one of the best this past decade, if not one of the best cinematic bad guys ever. It concludes with a powerful ending that’ll sear into your brain long after the film ends.

<B>5) The Simpsons Movie</B>

The Simpsons took 18 years to make it to the big screen, and the result is enjoyable, hilarious, and downright heartwarming. When Homer causes an environmental disaster in Springfield, he and his family have to save the day. The reason it works so well is that it’s a story about the Simpsons themselves (not Disco Stu, dammit!) and how they pull together. The jokes are sharper, quicker, and funnier than they’ve been in a long while. For fans that have wavered over the past few years, the movie rejuvenates the entire franchise single-handedly.

<B>4) Sunshine</B>

Director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) shows once again why he’s one of the best visual stylists working in this uber-cool sci-fi flick about a group of space scientists flying an atomic bomb into the dying sun to save the world. Sunshine borrows from many different sci-fi flicks and mashes them together for a unique flavor. The biggest strengths are showing how a doomed trip in space would slowly drive everyone batty, philosophical questions about trying achieve the impossible, making the sun seem beautiful and terrible, and how the smallest of screw-ups in a confined environment can be deadly.

<B>3) I Am Legend</B>

Will Smith stars in the best movie he’s ever headlined with the tragic, tense, dark, horrific, and pathos-filled tale about the last man on Earth. The striking direction by Francis Lawrence communicates the enormity of the end of everything. Seeing the abandoned and crumbling buildings as the sole remnants of humanity tells a story without saying a word. The action packed finale is so effective because it’s driven by emotion. At the center of the film is Smith’s fantastic performance that speaks volumes about the tragedy this character has endured.

<B>2) Once</B>

Quite possibly the world’s first low-fi / indie-folk-rock musical! This realistic take on the musical genre has characters only sing when the story calls for it, making the music easier to accept, unlike bombastic pap ala Dreamgirls. In Once, a street musician (Glen Hansard) becomes infatuated with a talented singer/pianist (Marketa Irglova) and decides to record an album over a weekend. Shot with a documentary, no-budget style, the technique lets the viewer become a part of the experience. All of the songs are ridiculously good and poignant (the first tune between the leads is instant magic). For anyone who’s ever picked up an instrument, played with a band, or just music lovers in general, this is a must-see.

<B>1) Grindhouse</B>

Forget those damned double-dipping “Grindhouse Presents” DVD’s, I’m talking about the original, three-hour theatrical experience. Robert Rodiguez’s Planet Terror gore-a-riffic comedy / horror riff is an enjoyable freak-fest, the numerous fake trailers are a hilarious and deliciously exploitive way to break up the films, and Quentin Tarantino’s Death Proof is a slow burner slasher-flick-with-a-car that’ll get your blood pumping. All of these pieces are entertaining on their own, but when you combine it as a single outing, you get a complete bowl of awesome that rocked 2007 hard. Just from a pure economic standpoint it’s a winner: you’re getting a double feature for just one ticket. How cool is that?! Grindhouse is B-movie nirvana.

<B> FIVE WORST '07</B>

<B>5) Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer</B>

Like its predecessor, this Fantastic Four movie is not so awful that it causes bleeding from the eyes. It is, however, really lame. When you have a franchise with as much potential as the Fanatastic Four, it’s a damn shame that the results are this tepid. This story of the Silver Surfer showing up to Earth is a brain-dead version of what was handled better in the comics decades ago. Big bad Galactus doesn’t even show his purple-helmeted head. We get a cloud instead. Uhm, yay?

<B>4) I Know Who Killed Me</B>

This is the movie that got Lindsay Lohan out of rehab on a day pass. She shouldn’t have bothered. Watching it, you can tell she’s clearly spaced out on something as she delivers all of her lines monotonously. I Know... is about a woman who is tortured and then believes she’s a completely different person. We’re just left hoping that a bus’ll hit her and the movie will end. The film commits many offenses, both aesthetic (Lohan’s cornball sex) and storytelling (the 3rd act revelation about her character’s past is like something out of a bad soap opera). Worth a laugh, but its not trying to be funny.

<B>3) I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry</B>

Here’s something that’s trying to be funny and isn’t. The slide of Adam Sandler’s movies from the awesomeness of Happy Gilmore to, well, this, is tragic. Chuck And Larry awkwardly ping-pongs between heavy-handed preaching about tolerance on one side, to a barrage of gay jokes on the other side, and the two halves never even out. Seeing two blue-collar slobs calling themselves “butt-buddies” isn’t amusing. This is a single joke stretched out unbearably long. Even Jessica Biel in her underwear can’t save it.

<B>2) The Golden Compass</B>

Golden Compass is so unintelligible it might as well been titled <I>"Gobbledygook and Hogwash: The Movie!"</I> The story is supposed to be about some girl who lives in an alternate universe who finds a golden compass that … sigh, nevermind. It’s hopeless to try to explain. All you’re seeing are a bunch of random fantasy movie clichés thrown into a blender with desperate the hope that it’ll work. The film’s underperformance at the box office will hopefully serve as a stern warning to New Line to not make expensive fantasy movies unless Peter Jackson is involved.

<B>1) Dan In Real Life</B>

Wow, this movie is awful. Wasting a talent like Steve Carell is a crime in of itself. Following Dan and his annoying cute kids to their annoying cute family retreat is mind-numbing pablum. Bad jokes bomb one after another, every character has is aggravatingly quirky, Dane Cook shows up in yet another movie, there’s a shower scene joke that feels like a fossilized Three’s Company bit, and it’s all just so -- BLAH!! Avoid, please if you value your sanity.

Ugly
01-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Honourable mentions (check 'em out if you haven't, all of these I'd rank as varying degrees of "good to awesome")

Waitress, The Host, Eastern Promises, 300, American Gangster, Superbad, Bourne Ultimatum, Crazy Love, No End In Sight, Beowulf, Transformers, Spider-Man 3, Black Snake Moan, Oceans 13, Harry Potter And The Order of the Pheonix, Micheal Clayton, Zodiac, Fido.

Liked 2007 alot for movies, much more than 2006.

TuralyonW3
01-05-2008, 05:03 AM
top tier
there will be blood (stunning)
no country for old men (likewise)
INLAND EMPIRE (this is really 2006 but some of ya'll are mentioning it so whatevs; an incredible mind+eye fuck)

2nd tier
Juno (heart)
Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (masterpiece)
Knocked Up (hilarious and touching)
Superbad (funny as fuck)
Eastern Promises (awesome)
ratatouille (delightful)
zodiac (hardcore fucking filmmaking right here)
Rescue Dawn (incredible survival scenes)

honorable mentions
charlie wilson's war (hoffman kills, good message)
american gangster (awesome photography)
control (especially the live music)
300 (oh c'mon it was fuckin cool)
Hostel Part II (great homages to 70s italian horror)
1408 + The Mist (successful King adaptations)
3:10 to Yuma (cool but almost didn't make the list cuz Assassination is 10x better)
No End in Sight (great Iraq War doc.)
King of Kong (rent it for sure, good stuff)
28 Weeks Later (love zombie gore)

all in good fun
harry potter 5 (keepin it dark; hermoine is hot)
grindhouse (def. has its moments)
beowulf (3D Imax only)
simpsons (some laffs)

disappointments (but not totally worthless)
The Golden Compass (rushed as fuck)
I'm Not There (too many meh sections)
The Lookout (pretty fucking gay actually)

still need to see
atonement
into the wild
the savages
before the devil knows you're dead
hot fuzz
gone baby gone
away from her
Michael Clayton
aqua teen
once
sunshine
Paris, je t’aime
the lives of others
diving bell and the butterfly
persepolis
the host

murgle
01-05-2008, 05:03 AM
I didn't see all that many.

1. Hot Fuzz
2. Across the Universe
3. Grindhouse (I liked Death Proof better)
4. Bourne Ultimatum
5. Harry Potter 5

But there are a handful of movies that I still want to see

Mo
01-05-2008, 05:36 AM
In no particular order:

Hot Fuzz
Planet Terror
Persepolis
There Will Be Blood
Knocked Up
Inland Empire
Zodiac
Ratatouille
Superbad
The Simpsons Movie
The assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Eastern Promises [Meh]
Atonement [Meh]
Shoot 'Em Up [Meh meh]
Death Proof

Ugly
01-05-2008, 06:52 AM
disappointments (but not totally worthless)
The Golden Compass (rushed as fuck)
The Lookout (pretty fucking gay actually)

Golden Compass is equal to The Lookout? Just...argh... my eyes... what is that? ... is it's blood? Oh, GAWD, <B>I'M BLEEDING FROM MY EYES <I>AFTER READING THAT!!!!!!!</B></I>

Seriously, though, the Golden Compass sucked. It was incompressible bullshit. And not in a good way - in a way that "here is all this plot and exposition that is supposed to mean something but it's thrown on screen in such a haphazard way that IT JUST BECOMES NOISE AND BULLSHIT!" What the fuck?

Lookout actually, you know, made sense and had a storyline. Not just random bullshit.

Argh. Golden Compass. Argh. I hope whoever was involved in that abortion all get hit by a bus. Simultainiously.

Actually, if you liked it, good for you. For me it’s just – YEEARRRGGGHH!!!!

Nidhogg
01-05-2008, 01:28 PM
top tier
INLAND EMPIRE (this is really 2006 but some of ya'll are mentioning it so whatevs; an incredible mind+eye fuck)

If you wanna count this it would definitely be my #1.

Sepiae
01-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Hmm. I actually really liked the Golden Compass. But then again, I love polar bears and I love helmets.

Rockin' Cherub
01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
nobody goes to the cinema with me and i don't want to go alone and as long as films aren't released on dvd i can't download or borrow them

that is why i only watch old films.

TuralyonW3
01-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Golden Compass is equal to The Lookout? Just...argh... my eyes... what is that? ... is it's blood? Oh, GAWD, <B>I'M BLEEDING FROM MY EYES <I>AFTER READING THAT!!!!!!!</B></I>

Seriously, though, the Golden Compass sucked. It was incompressible bullshit. And not in a good way - in a way that "here is all this plot and exposition that is supposed to mean something but it's thrown on screen in such a haphazard way that IT JUST BECOMES NOISE AND BULLSHIT!" What the fuck?

Lookout actually, you know, made sense and had a storyline. Not just random bullshit.

Argh. Golden Compass. Argh. I hope whoever was involved in that abortion all get hit by a bus. Simultainiously.

Actually, if you liked it, good for you. For me it’s just – YEEARRRGGGHH!!!!

Joseph Gordon Leavitt was ok in Lookout, but the bad guys were so fucking cheesy, awful acting (and BONES? lol horrible). The director needs to stick to writing.

Golden Compass is 30x better just cuz of the bear knocking the other bears jaw off.

Ugly
01-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Yes, the bear knocked the other bear's jaw off. That was very cool. (I give the film 1 out of five, but the bear fight almost moved it up to 2 out of 5... then the rest of the movie happened and it was even worse) Anything else in the movie as awesome as that? Nope. I mean, when you have Ian McKellen doing a voiceover and it doesn't help the movie in the slightest, you know the flick is in trouble.

Those Daemon things drove me frickin nuts. It was just so banal and retarded. Sample dialouge - Nicole Kidman: "Crikey! We're going to the north, we is!" Retarded Deamon Rat Monkey Thing: "The North? It's cold up there!" Geez, thanks for the info, tipster.

What the hell was Eva Green even doing in that flick? Second of all, if you have Eva Green, why in God's name would you throw a potato sack on her? What was that ending (at least it ended)? Why couldn't the kid do more than squint and look mildly pissed off? Why was she so preturbed over the gyptians? Why the hell after that gigantic battle that the entire army JUST WANDERED OFF STAGE LEFT and left the two kids standing there (you know, the kids they were supposed to save?) Why do people stand around talking about Dust? Who cares, what does it mean, who gives a shit? Eguh! Awful!

Bear tearing off jaw is about 5 seconds of coolness in 90 minutes of pure misery. Gah. If you actually liked it, I'm glad someone got something out of it. I wanted to claw my eyeballs out.

sppunk
01-07-2008, 03:54 PM
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men
The Lookout
Ratatouille
Eastern Promises

???
01-07-2008, 04:07 PM
i knew golden compass would be shit. i haven't seen it, but the his dark materials books are just the most overrated fantasy pap i've ever read. aims for sophistication but suffers from intense blandness

TuralyonW3
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
What the hell was Eva Green even doing in that flick?

being a hot fucking witch :we need a fap smiley:

TuralyonW3
01-07-2008, 08:49 PM
holy shit she shows her pussy lips in the dreamers doesn't she

Ugly
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
She's hot as fucking fuck, but she was wearing a non-form-fitting brown sack. Not exactly showing off her asets very well.

Also 2 more additions to the hon mentions list: Ratatoulie and Juno.

???
01-07-2008, 10:16 PM
being a hot fucking witch

all flyin' round, goin nuts

strange_one
01-08-2008, 01:02 AM
<font color=33FFFF> Assassination of Jesse James is easily my numero uno</font>

Ugly
01-08-2008, 04:09 AM
Hey, strange_one, what did you think of Mephisto's retcon powers?:banging: