View Full Version : how bad is american gothic?

krackhead
01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
dogshit?

Mo
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Mehhhh, it's okay.

MaryAnn272
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
At first I thought it was pretty awful but after listening to it a couple more times I actually really love it. :)

Rose March is my favorite its so beautiful. :love:

T&T
01-02-2008, 06:15 PM
this poll is going to win.

apetulantfrenzy
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
How is "meeh it's OK" somehow a step down from "it's not that bad"? Methinks there's some bias to these choices.

trev
01-02-2008, 06:18 PM
well it's better than zeitgeist.

that's not saying much, or that hard to achieve, but i'm looking for positives here.

DoomsdayRocket
01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
some people are just douches for douchness sake...

wHATcOLOR
01-02-2008, 06:24 PM
i don't think it's good, but i don't really mind. $4 without months of buildup. "expectations are resentments under construction" or something. i think it was Paul Hem who once said that

BurtSampson
01-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Or they genuinely don't like the album, which is the case for me.

AnnMarie727
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
i like sunkissed, againx3 and rose march. pox i'm not listening to much

monkeyfritters
01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
it sucks my dick!

monkeyfritters
01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
i think it was Paul Hem who once said that

doomsday cock ticking in my heart

Banana
01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I like it, think it's good for what it is. I enjoy it and find it more listenable than zeitgeist.

DoomsdayRocket
01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Or they genuinely don't like the album, which is the case for me.

i hold nothing against people having their own opinions i support that...
but some really have to present their opinion in the most annoying and assholish way... it's frightening even.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 07:00 PM

and some people genuinely don't like it.
i think if i liked zwan, TFE, and zeitgeist, I'm entitled not to like american gothic if that's how i feel, without being a douche. (are girls douches, or is that just a guy thing?)

edit: oh burtsampson beat me to it!

andrewface
01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
i think its good...really like pox and rose march, againagain is not to shabby either...sunkissed i dont care for upon first couple of listens tho

i_adore_adore
01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
After listening a billion more times, I really like it :) Again Again Again is growing on me sooo much. mm. I put "it's not that bad"

dean_r_koontz
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
your posts are hot i adore adore. pic?

i_adore_adore
01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
nope.

But guess what! Today I finished reading Icebound. I think it's one of your best books!!! It's really different from the others, but it's soooo good! I was on the edge of my seat! I started reading Strangers, but I'm only on page 15. So far so good, though :)

dean_r_koontz
01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
pic?

Rider
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM

When did this turn into a discussion about your screen name?

i_adore_adore
01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
pic?

http://www.randomhouse.com/audio/podcasts/images/dean_koontz.jpg

dean_r_koontz
01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
when i wrote that chapter about three werewolves fucking in a basement i was thinking about you

dean_r_koontz
01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
not the best line to use on girls who are 10 years younger than me i guess

Pretzel Logic
01-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I still love you, dean.

dudehitscar
01-02-2008, 08:57 PM
it's not bad but when it's competing for my attention it will always lose to better things.

Pretzel Logic
01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
I still love you, dudehitscar.

Irridescent Fairysex
01-02-2008, 09:00 PM
aside from the rose march, which is a pretty good song even in studio, the rest of the EP is very forgettable. Again, again, again and sunkissed both have good or interesting parts in them but not good enough to make a complete song out of them. POX is just atrocious, maybe it could work in 1990, or if you like nickelback.

darcyismybass
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
http://www.randomhouse.com/audio/podcasts/images/dean_koontz.jpg

:rofl:

You even got a picture from Random House, that's great! :)

apetulantfrenzy
01-02-2008, 09:26 PM
or if you like nickelback.

it does sadly sound a bit like nickelback :cry:

dean_r_koontz
01-02-2008, 09:37 PM
i listened to the first twenty seconds of pox and started cringing badly. perhaps he can still throw together a decent song and with that i mean chord progressions and melodies but he can no longer be trusted when it comes to: arrangments, mixing and picking the best material for releases. maybe he's not good enough at writing songs either but i think he's got some creativity left at least, he desperately needs someone with better judgment in the studio.

dean_r_koontz
01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
billy corgan reminds me a bit of george lucas nowadays. they both did some odd, grandiouse stuff back in the day but now when they don't have an endless well of great ideas pouring out they need to edit. look at mark kozelek for guidance here. he just stopped releasing original material for several years just because he realized that he had gotten older and it's further between the ideas.

dean_r_koontz
well george lucas plain sucks now so it wasn't a very good analogy

tstats
for what it is i enjoy it... i dont hate it but i dont love it either

trev
01-02-2008, 11:29 PM
i think one of the only reasons i like rose march is because it has the same lead guitar solo tone that is on stellar. a memory effect trick type thing.

bardy
01-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I like it just because its a better direction than zeitgeist

its like billy is writing songs for peopple more his own age rather than trying to be a 15 year old's best friend.

darthjul
01-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I really dig it. I dig that they'd bother. They recorded it for us. Its not like they're going to be rolling in cash from the $4 that the two people paid to D/L it off Itunes in the first place. Jesus people, let the man give us something back for once.
Anybody who wants to take a poke at American Gothic, feel free to post your very own 4 track EP here on Netphoria and we'll do a little comparison. Then, feel free to throw stones all you like.

zerock
01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
it's not that bad. is just that i dont like sunkissed much, but i'm sure it will grow on me.

Twineball
01-03-2008, 12:20 AM
I really dig it. I dig that they'd bother. They recorded it for us. Its not like they're going to be rolling in cash from the $4 that the two people paid to D/L it off Itunes in the first place. Jesus people, let the man give us something back for once.
Anybody who wants to take a poke at American Gothic, feel free to post your very own 4 track EP here on Netphoria and we'll do a little comparison. Then, feel free to throw stones all you like.

^

monkeyfritters
01-03-2008, 01:06 AM
^ give me the time, budget, and connections billy has and I'd be glad to.

tcm
01-03-2008, 01:13 AM
'give me, give me, give me', that is all you people ever say.

monkeyfritters
01-03-2008, 01:16 AM
what do you mean by "you people" ?

fucking racist sack of shit I HATE YOU liking the whitest band around... american gothic? more like american history x you fucking slug.

tcm
01-03-2008, 01:24 AM
hey man... i sincerely regret what i said.

monkeyfritters
01-03-2008, 01:26 AM
PATRONIZING ME? FUCK YOU! what does tcm stand for anyway? the cock master!

I HATE YOU

cork_soaker
01-03-2008, 01:27 AM
this is going well

Frankenstein
01-03-2008, 01:30 AM
I think it's great. It was great on my headphones and even better in my car.

so there

monkeyfritters
01-03-2008, 01:30 AM
im sick of this shit. I wont take it anymore, CORK SOAKER. if you are trying to antagonize please remember i have a orange belt in tykwondo.

im just sad and scared.

monkeyfritters
01-03-2008, 01:31 AM
I think it's great. It was great on my headphones and even better in my car.

so there

are your headphones busted or are you stupider than you look?

post/av

monkeyfritters
01-03-2008, 01:32 AM
*sleeps*

Frankenstein
01-03-2008, 01:32 AM
im sick of this shit. I wont take it anymore, CORK SOAKER. if you are trying to antagonize please remember i have a orange belt in tykwondo.

im just sad and scared.

taekwondo is the easiest and quickest form of martial arts to progress in.

so that's like threatening somebody because you are thinking of maybe possibly watching the karate kid

cork_soaker
01-03-2008, 01:33 AM

im just sad and scared.
noted

tcm
01-03-2008, 01:34 AM
goodnight, sweet prince...

monkeyfritters
01-03-2008, 01:34 AM
taekwondo is the easiest and quickest form of martial arts to progress in.

so that's like threatening somebody because you are thinking of maybe possibly watching the karate kid

oh haha is that some kind of joke, WANNA TRY THAT AGAIN?? HEH HEH

like i even give a shit about asian fighting bullshit!

cork_soaker
01-03-2008, 01:36 AM
you guys should see my abs right now

tcm
i have beaten rick bruiser once in super punch-out...

cork_soaker
glistening mounds of joy

Frankenstein
oh haha is that some kind of joke, WANNA TRY THAT AGAIN?? HEH HEH

like i even give a shit about asian fighting bullshit!

see how I save the punch line for the last two words? take note

cork_soaker
01-03-2008, 01:41 AM
take note
don't get it

monkeyfritters
01-03-2008, 01:41 AM
coak sorkers rock hard abs have me as tippy as a twizzler!

LET"S DANCE EVERYBODY!!!!
:banoonoo::banoonoo::chili::chili::chili::chili::c hili::hitit::hitit::hitit::bananamac:bananamac:ban anamac:bananamac:bananamac:jump::jump::jump::jump: :jump::bump::bump:

Frankenstein
01-03-2008, 01:42 AM
don't get it

noted

redbull
01-03-2008, 02:08 AM
jesus christ billy way to ruin the rose march

Quiet CD
01-03-2008, 02:27 AM
I will not even illegally download American Gothic EP... it's even worse than Zeitgeist.

Of course, my recommendations are more suited for Dethklok's Dethwater

I heard its going to be 80 minutes of music constructed from samples of Whales communicating (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=138187&highlight=whale)... that would at least be innovative.

wHATcOLOR
01-03-2008, 02:32 AM

sure thing, just as soon as there's an entire forum dedicated to me

trev
01-03-2008, 04:51 AM
what do you mean by "you people" ?

fucking racist sack of shit I HATE YOU liking the whitest band around... american gothic? more like american history x you fucking slug.

:banging:

krackhead
01-03-2008, 06:29 AM
goodnight, sweet prince...

finishing my coffee.....

Patuquitos
01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I like it, think it's good for what it is. I enjoy it and find it more listenable than zeitgeist.

And what is it? I'm still trying to figure it out.

I know it's only 4 little semi-acoustic songs, but when Billy used to release something the man managed to make it sound like an event, and I wasn't too excited for AG when the release was announced. I can't explain it, but any MCIS maxi-single and even 'Lull' sounds grandiose compared to this.

I like it, but I feel it lacks body/substance. Do these tunes deserve to be released together as an EP?

The Night Mare
01-03-2008, 10:51 PM
jesus christ billy way to ruin the rose march

What are you talking about? No song is good without a chorus of oo-la-laing Billy Corgans accompanying it.

wHATcOLOR
01-03-2008, 11:28 PM
i feel it's boring, weak, and uninspired which is a big step up from zeitgeist, so way to go bill!

Cherub Angel
01-04-2008, 01:00 AM
any formal reviews of this thing? (i.e. review sites, etc?)

srt4b
01-04-2008, 03:54 AM
any formal reviews of this thing? (i.e. review sites, etc?)

no one cares

areyougaffney?
01-04-2008, 06:18 AM
And what is it? I'm still trying to figure it out.

I know it's only 4 little semi-acoustic songs, but when Billy used to release something the man managed to make it sound like an event, and I wasn't too excited for AG when the release was announced. I can't explain it, but any MCIS maxi-single and even 'Lull' sounds grandiose compared to this.

I like it, but I feel it lacks body/substance. Do these tunes deserve to be released together as an EP?

I totally agree. If they were b-sides I'd be yeah O.K, heard much better from them but whatever.... but to release them as a stand alone an e-p I think needs them to be a little more, I don't know..stronger. To me they sound a little like acoustic adore demos (chewing gum)with drums, electric guitar tacked on.

I love the Rose March though so I'll try to keep it my head that that is the single and the other songs are it's b-sides.

I've pretty much loved everything the pumpkins have ever done but something isn't quite sitting right about these songs yet, it feels a bit weak, rushed, whatever.

Ah well at least the Rose March is fucking awesome.

ibelievenothing
01-04-2008, 06:40 AM
nope.

But guess what! Today I finished reading Icebound. I think it's one of your best books!!! It's really different from the others, but it's soooo good! I was on the edge of my seat! I started reading Strangers, but I'm only on page 15. So far so good, though :)

Wow a Dean Koontz fan! I have read all Dean Koontz books. Strangers is good. Try "Intensity" if you want to be grounded for a few days unable to put it down.

ibelievenothing
01-04-2008, 06:41 AM
I really like the lalalala into. It is the main stroke of genius on the album. Just close your eyes and listen. Beautiful

dean_r_koontz
01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
hey i adore adore i was just trying to be entertaining by writing what i wrote. i hope i didn't scare you away with the inherent creepines of that post.

RockLobster
01-04-2008, 05:45 PM
billy corgan has ruined his legacy.

xezton
01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I really like the lalalala into. It is the main stroke of genius on the album. Just close your eyes and listen. Beautiful

I can't close my eyes during that part because so many tears are flowing out of them until about 0:34, then hope comes back until about 1:33 at "c..an't help" I cry a little more, then at 1:51 hope is visible again until 1:53 where I start bawling at all of the "ooooh"'s until about 2:18 when I grab the tissue box and dry up, start to smile, and become happy again. Finally, I'm hap- OH MY GOD IT'S BACK AT 3:51 NOOOOO.

a roller coaster of emotions, truly

stumpycat
01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
While these four songs certainly aren't very exciting or inspiring, they are exceedingly vanilla. Which means they do not contain any truly cringe-worthy or controversial moments but achieve a level of bland inoffensiveness that would suit the songs to mellow SP album filler material or a live performance on some morning talkshow. I mean, arguably, this music is some of the first that has the more "basic" Pumpkins feel to it and in some ways harkens back to some of the stripped down material from around the MCIS (and especially) Adore era. The problem is that the songs--especially when put side-by-side--show little variation or musical development and in the end have a feeling of going nowhere.

SpFission
01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
While these four songs certainly aren't very exciting or inspiring, they are exceedingly vanilla. Which means they do not contain any truly cringe-worthy or controversial moments but achieve a level of bland inoffensiveness that would suit the songs to mellow SP album filler material or a live performance on some morning talkshow. I mean, arguably, this music is some of the first that has the more "basic" Pumpkins feel to it and in some ways harkens back to some of the stripped down material from around the MCIS (and especially) Adore era. The problem is that the songs--especially when put side-by-side--show little variation or musical development and in the end have a feeling of going nowhere.

compare sunkissed to soots/stars

sunkissed wins hands down...

I really don't know why I quoted your post.

Corgan Rules
01-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I thought they were alright the 1st day listening to them and now they continue to grow on me. My 2 favorites are... Rose March and Again, Again and again. They are both good. The Rose March is excellent!

BurtSampson
01-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Again x3 is the best song on the album, which is sad, because it's the most Zwan sounding song.

talk show host
01-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I just listened to the whole thing for the first time and found it fucking boring. Why the hell can't he write a song anymore? He should be completelly banned from producing any of his music and should have far more limited control over the rest of the arrangments outside of the guitars and maybe bass.

SpFission
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I just listened to the whole thing for the first time and found it fucking boring. Why the hell can't he write a song anymore? He should be completelly banned from producing any of his music and should have far more limited control over the rest of the arrangments outside of the guitars and maybe bass.

jesus christ, 1 listen?

stumpycat
01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
compare sunkissed to soots/stars

sunkissed wins hands down...

I really don't know why I quoted your post.
I think that's part of what I'm getting at. There's just nothing here that one could actually call "bad"...first the music would have to distinguish itself in some particular way. For lack of a better term, the music is perfectly functional. It's mostly just rather yawn-inducing.

I've tried to narrow down what is most "annoying" to me...and it's not the melody or its complexity, it's not the guitar, it's not the lyrics, it's not lack of "movements" within the song...I think it's the arrangement and instrumentation. It's just too low-key and bland. It's like, there are points within the song where you are just waiting for a bit of crunchy distortion to kick in with some drum and maybe a haunting sort of background lead and punch it up the ass a bit...but the moment just never comes.

talk show host
01-04-2008, 08:09 PM
It's honestly so hard to be motivated to give it more. I mean I've thrashed this band's catalogue so it's not like I'm a casual fan, but even after three or four listens I still don't like a single song on Zeitgeist and I'd basically have to force myself to give this new Ep another listen. I actually will do that in a day or so but really, if you absolutely don't like something I don't see much point in trying to kid myself into finding good points for the sake of good points. This is just my opinion.

SpFission
01-04-2008, 08:53 PM
It's honestly so hard to be motivated to give it more. I mean I've thrashed this band's catalogue so it's not like I'm a casual fan, but even after three or four listens I still don't like a single song on Zeitgeist and I'd basically have to force myself to give this new Ep another listen. I actually will do that in a day or so but really, if you absolutely don't like something I don't see much point in trying to kid myself into finding good points for the sake of good points. This is just my opinion.

I'm just saying, perhaps 2 or 3 listens.

I'm not saying you should force yourself to listen until you like it, but a couple spins just to be fair.

i_adore_adore
01-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow a Dean Koontz fan! I have read all Dean Koontz books. Strangers is good. Try "Intensity" if you want to be grounded for a few days unable to put it down.

Strangers is book #43 for me :) I've only got... 12 more to go or something! I'm very excited. Dunno what I'm gonna do when I read them all... probably track down the out of print ones that he wrote under pen names. As for Intensity, I'm the only person I know who HATED that book... I was bored outta my mind! I have no idea why... everyone I've come in contact with says it's one of their favorites. For me... it just didn't do much. I guess because I'm such a big fan of Koontz's way of having the characters interact with each other, and there weren't really many instances where Chyna got to interact with other "good guys." I mean, obviously she spoke with the crazy murderer and stuff, but I just love Koontz's use of humor, and Intensity didn't have much room for humor :)

hey i adore adore i was just trying to be entertaining by writing what i wrote. i hope i didn't scare you away with the inherent creepines of that post.

You're only apologizing because you think I'm gonna stop buying your books. You're worse than Billy.