View Full Version : b0lly mentionned in a French writer's works

Thomas
01-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Forgot to tell you about this earlier... not that you really care but some of you might be interested.

In his book entitled Windows on the World (2003), Frederic Beigbeder creates a story taking place in the restaurant on the 107th floor of the World Trade Center before/during the 9/11 attacks.
It's a very nice book - sensitive, tragic, funny, cynical, critical - in which he wonderfully draws the portrait of our decaying society.

In pages 30~40, he denounces the unjustified French anti-americanism, and the negative point of view French people have on American culture. Then, he explains why American culture is so rich, original and subversive, and finally makes a short list of different American artists (writers, musicians, directors) he likes: Kurt Cobain, David Lynch, JD Salinger, Bret Easton Ellis, Hunter S. Thompson, Billy Corgan,...
In the credits at the end of the book, he thanks his wife, some friends, etc... and Zwan (he wrote the book in 2003).

In his most famous novel, 99 francs, dealing with the world of advertising, he wrote :
"Je croyais que j'avais peur de la mort alors que j'avais peur de la vie"
A direct tranlation from the lyrics of TAFH :
"I've always been afraid to die, but I think now I'm more afraid to live"

That's it. If you're interested, these 2 novels have been translated in English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_Beigbeder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_of_the_World_%28novel%29

M.Night
01-02-2008, 02:11 AM
are YOU that french writter?

Corganisphere
01-02-2008, 02:15 AM
That's interesting though.

Thomas
01-02-2008, 02:19 AM
are YOU that french writter?

LOL!

no, only a fan of his works.

smashapumpkin
01-02-2008, 02:55 AM
sounds like beigbeder is a fan

M.Night
01-02-2008, 04:32 AM
he likes kurt cobain, zwan and JD Salinger? OMG
why?

Phoenix Down
01-02-2008, 11:21 AM
i like beidbeder. i saw him at a party in berlin once, but didn't talk to him.

intersting find!