View Full Version : American Gothic on iTunes Now!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Gossamer
01-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Pox is really good.

Sunkissed has some cool parts.

The rest is meh.

I really don't like Billy's vocals on this or Zeitgeist.
I don't know what he's doing but it just doesn't sound right. I'm not talking about the overdubs either, just his regular singing sounds off.

MonteLDS
01-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Pox is really good.

Sunkissed has some cool parts.

The rest is meh.

I really don't like Billy's vocals on this or Zeitgeist.
I don't know what he's doing but it just doesn't sound right. I'm not talking about the overdubs either, just his regular singing sounds off.

u don't like his vocals because he isn't singing with his heart

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 03:18 PM
He's too old to have a heart.

The Jesus
01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
LEAK:

http://rapidshare.com/files/80430704/SP-AG.rar.html

Thanks Daddy!

Does anyone know when this is going to appear in the shops in the UK?

MonteLDS
01-01-2008, 03:20 PM
He's too old to have a heart.

:erm:

he is doing a good job burying himself

My Blue Heaven
01-01-2008, 03:21 PM
"again, again, again" is more zwan than zwan.

snow_white
01-01-2008, 03:27 PM
After much consideration, I decided to just fork over my $4 to Billy and iTunes. Ehh..this certainly isn't what I was expecting. It isn't terrible, but I really was expecting to love this. The Rose March during the residencies really became one of my favorite songs, and I'm just disappointed with it on American Gothic. It feels really...forced? And I don't like the subtle rewrite of lyrics.. Meh...but I really don't want to pick it apart. Kinda like what skipgo was saying earlier, I really don't like complaining, and try really hard to support SP through thick and thin...but I feel a little let down by this EP. Maybe it's my own fault for hyping it up so much in my mind... But I really thought that at least The Rose March was sacred and they couldn't screw it up...ha ha. Oh well...at least the live stuff has all been really great....

The Jesus
01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I'll sum this up in one word: Dull.

TuralyonW3
01-01-2008, 03:38 PM
vocals are terrible

Cool As Ice Cream
01-01-2008, 03:39 PM
first listen was a struggle to get through.

Gossamer
01-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Pox and Sunkissed are definitely the standouts here.

Cool As Ice Cream
01-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Pox and Sunkissed are definitely the standouts here.

you are definitely the standouts here

Twineball
01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Just DLed it. Gonna listen now.

davin
01-01-2008, 03:43 PM
first listen was a struggle to get through.

you said the same thing about Zeitgeist at first.

skipgo
01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
so how do you like it, davin?

Future Boy
01-01-2008, 03:50 PM
who doesn't support them when they do something different.

shit is shit, label it however you want.

davin
01-01-2008, 03:52 PM
so how do you like it, davin?

the pox is my fav so far, but i just got it yesterday and am reserving more detailed comments until i can absorb it a little more, preferrably on better speakers than my laptop.

Twineball
01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Why oh why did he have to change his vocal technique?
In the old days, his voice was grating, but I liked it. It was appropriate to the songs. But now it seems like he's trying to do weird stylisitic things that he just can't pull off.

MonteLDS
01-01-2008, 03:57 PM
In the old days, his voice was grating, but I liked it. It was appropriate to the songs. But now it seems like he's trying to do weird stylisitic things that he just can't pull off.

i couldn't agree more!

morecowbell
01-01-2008, 03:57 PM
guitars sound nice, vocals are too loud. someone needs to slap whoever is recording this.

Gossamer
01-01-2008, 03:58 PM

It's all TFE's fault.

He needs to stop.

Twineball
01-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm on the final track of the EP now and I have to say that my favorite tune is Pox. I don't hate any of them. I just wish they had been recording with similar techniques to older "acoustic" songs, such as Landslide, etc. It has that same "overproduced" quality, even though they only laid it all down in a month. Jimmy's as solid as ever. It's a decent EP. I'd put it at the same level as Zeitgeist. Take that as you will. I like them both.

T&T
01-01-2008, 04:14 PM
i think its a pretty swell ep.
rosemarch is still my favorite after half a dozen listens
but probably because i love those residency songs.

daevil1
01-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Sunkissed is very relaxing.

waltermcphilp
01-01-2008, 04:17 PM
so far billy will make 0$ from this forum. nice work team!

teamneedle
01-01-2008, 04:17 PM
the rose march is almost great, would have been great with different backing vocals.

edit: but then again, i think it would take away from the personal feeling of this song which doesn't appear anywhere else in the zeitgesit area (at least appears and doesn't feel forced or fake)

Twineball
01-01-2008, 04:22 PM
so far billy will make 0$ from this forum. nice work team!

Same ol' same ol'.
By the way, your avatar blows my mind.

emotionalfriend
01-01-2008, 04:22 PM
i don't understand the immediate hatred for this EP. i don't think it's bad at all.

rolmos
01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Why does Billy always fuck up perfectly good songs in the studio? The Rose March was a great song, and both the intro and the backing vocals just killed it for me.

waltermcphilp
01-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Same ol' same ol'.
By the way, your avatar blows my mind.

thank skipgooooooO!

Professor Fox
01-01-2008, 04:28 PM
before making scathing criticisms just remember that Billy makes a fraction of what Avril Lavigne pulls in.

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 04:31 PM
After listening to the whole thing, I was reminded of the 30-second "Tarantula" leak and how disappointed I was by the song... until I heard the whole thing. Same deal with this situation.

Am I thrilled that he took a beautiful, simple song like "The Rose March" and screwed it up with layers and layers of vocals (again, too high in the mix)? No. But I have a feeling it's one of those things I'm going to get used to. I don't even flinch when I hear "WE ARE STARZZZ" or "Death from abooooooove" anymore. It's just a matter of time before I get used to this new version of "The Rose March," but at the moment I prefer the live version (and I'm sure that'll always be the case).

Again Again Again is the worst song by far. I was just like :erm: huh? throughout the whole thing. I don't know exactly what it is about it, but... it's just not very good.

POX is gooooood, though! Ugh, I love it! The bass is so crunchy, and Jimmy sounds wonderful. Vocals aren't that bad, could be better (that's a given)

Sunkissed is pretty good. It reminds me of "Pomp" for some reason... and you all know how much i adore pomp :love: I like the beginning... the guitar sounds beautiful. And it reminded me of "If All Goes Wrong," too.

Remember when we were all saying the residency songs we hoped were on the EP? Well, I'm glad that "If All Goes Wrong" and "The Leaving Lament" aren't on it. The butchering of "The Rose March" is hard enough for my delicate little soul (and ears...) I don't think I could handle sitting through a sacred song like "The Leaving Lament" in the fashion that American Gothic was recorded... I'd probably cry.

Conclusion: I'm glad I have the live versions of the residency songs, I'm glad I heard the new version of "The Rose March," "POX," and "Sunkissed," and I'm glad that the Pumpkins put out new material. I'd also really like to hear tracks 2, 3, and 4 in the style that the residency songs were played in live. I think there are great songs buried underneath all this... busy-ness.

Also, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by how it sounds, seeing as Billy did say to think of it as "Zeitgeist+." I don't have a big issue with all the vocal layering on Zeitgeist. I've gotten used to it... it was new to me when I got Zeitgeist, and now that's Zeitgeist's thing... just like the psychadelia is Gish's thing, and the guitar sound and Billy's breathy vocals are SD's thing, and the weird songs and instruments are MCIS's things, and the electronic/acoustic stuff is Adore's thing, and the headache-causing production is Machina's thing. I don't want anymore of that stuff; I want something new. That's why I was a little let down by American Gothic. I feel like I've just gotten four more Zeitgeist bonus tracks, and I've got enough Zeitgeist-y songs already.

Phew. I need to get a life, eh?

Rickpat12
01-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Fuck Pox just keeps getting better and better. It's so dark and raw, I love it. Sunkissed is great too, it's really growing on me. I love the direction of this song. If Billy makes more music like Sunkissed, it would be awesome. The songs starts small and just builds up into something big.

davin
01-01-2008, 04:39 PM
i don't understand the immediate hatred for this EP. i don't think it's bad at all.

this must be your first day on netphoria.

Professor Fox
01-01-2008, 04:47 PM
sunkissed reminds of Genesis a bit.

emotionalfriend
01-01-2008, 04:47 PM
this must be your first day on netphoria.

lol. yeah, that was quite naive of me

T&T
01-01-2008, 04:48 PM
is Skipgo gonna eat Crow?

Cool As Ice Cream
01-01-2008, 04:51 PM
you said the same thing about Zeitgeist at first.
then that's not a good sign. last week i gave zeitgeist another listen - it had been over a month - and it was really boring the hell out of me.

srt4b
01-01-2008, 04:53 PM
ONE WORD: meh

drowningspider
01-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm in the minority here, but I don't hate any of the songs. Sunkissed is kinda ho-hum, but I love Again, Rose March and Pox. The backing vocals and the lack of consonants are aggravating, just like Zeitgeist, but I really have no other complaints.

Hasn't Bill always done most of the backing vocals on the records? I think the way he's singing recently just makes it more apparent/annoying.

BurtSampson
01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I gave it another listen, and here's my score:

The Rose March: 6.5/10 (The Residency version was far better, and the backing vocals make me cringe, as well as the lalalalada intro)

Again, Again, Again: 5.5/10

POX: 3/10 (I really don't like this song.)

Sunkissed: 5/10 (It would be a lot better without the "If I'm gonna live" part)

ibelievenothing
01-01-2008, 05:03 PM
After listening to the whole thing, I was reminded of the 30-second "Tarantula" leak and how disappointed I was by the song... until I heard the whole thing. Same deal with this situation.

Am I thrilled that he took a beautiful, simple song like "The Rose March" and screwed it up with layers and layers of vocals (again, too high in the mix)? No. But I have a feeling it's one of those things I'm going to get used to. I don't even flinch when I hear "WE ARE STARZZZ" or "Death from abooooooove" anymore. It's just a matter of time before I get used to this new version of "The Rose March," but at the moment I prefer the live version (and I'm sure that'll always be the case).

Again Again Again is the worst song by far. I was just like :erm: huh? throughout the whole thing. I don't know exactly what it is about it, but... it's just not very good.

POX is gooooood, though! Ugh, I love it! The bass is so crunchy, and Jimmy sounds wonderful. Vocals aren't that bad, could be better (that's a given)

Sunkissed is pretty good. It reminds me of "Pomp" for some reason... and you all know how much i adore pomp :love: I like the beginning... the guitar sounds beautiful. And it reminded me of "If All Goes Wrong," too.

Remember when we were all saying the residency songs we hoped were on the EP? Well, I'm glad that "If All Goes Wrong" and "The Leaving Lament" aren't on it. The butchering of "The Rose March" is hard enough for my delicate little soul (and ears...) I don't think I could handle sitting through a sacred song like "The Leaving Lament" in the fashion that American Gothic was recorded... I'd probably cry.

Conclusion: I'm glad I have the live versions of the residency songs, I'm glad I heard the new version of "The Rose March," "POX," and "Sunkissed," and I'm glad that the Pumpkins put out new material. I'd also really like to hear tracks 2, 3, and 4 in the style that the residency songs were played in live. I think there are great songs buried underneath all this... busy-ness.

Also, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by how it sounds, seeing as Billy did say to think of it as "Zeitgeist+." I don't have a big issue with all the vocal layering on Zeitgeist. I've gotten used to it... it was new to me when I got Zeitgeist, and now that's Zeitgeist's thing... just like the psychadelia is Gish's thing, and the guitar sound and Billy's breathy vocals are SD's thing, and the weird songs and instruments are MCIS's things, and the electronic/acoustic stuff is Adore's thing, and the headache-causing production is Machina's thing. I don't want anymore of that stuff; I want something new. That's why I was a little let down by American Gothic. I feel like I've just gotten four more Zeitgeist bonus tracks, and I've got enough Zeitgeist-y songs already.

Phew. I need to get a life, eh?

I found this very interesting and strangely hypnotic to read.

Frankenstein
01-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I happily admit that I liked the ep from the get go. you guys are fucking crazy

sh sh shayne
01-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Ep's good.

Still nothing near as good as the TRACK zangief, almost makes buy'n the target one worth it :/

This ep is good, but i'll probably never listen to it :/

Oh well .

MonkeyMan
01-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm REALLY liking Pox. I think I like The Crux more than most of you seem to.

Rose march though.....is gonna be like For God and Country to me. I love the live version.....not so much the studio version. I'll probably get used to it a bit more though.

I'm on Sunkissed now, and it sounds decent.

I love Pox though.

paranoid
01-01-2008, 05:31 PM
did anyone else here not really give a shit about the residency songs? i listened to them once then never again 'cause i found them incredibly boring.

Cool As Ice Cream
01-01-2008, 05:37 PM
did anyone else here not really give a shit about the residency songs? i listened to them once then never again 'cause i found them incredibly boring.

not even once.

hnibos
01-01-2008, 05:38 PM

no you arent alone, i didnt even want to hear some of the later ones.

MonteLDS
01-01-2008, 05:40 PM
POX reminds me of "Love is a battlefield"

Frankenstein
01-01-2008, 05:46 PM
itunes lists these as 'explicit'

what the fuck?

MisterSquishyHalo
01-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Why didn't he use Ginger or Lisa as additional vocals? Does the Itunes stuff have credits? I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Jimmy and Billy.

Its because they were on a well deserved vacation.

hnibos
01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
^ im sure that was exactly the reason

Ramdust
01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Again: C
Sunkissed: B
Pox: A
Rose March: A-

RenewRevive
01-01-2008, 05:56 PM
no surprise that the ep didn't turn out to be exactly acoustic. bogus statement from billy as to recording the residency songs - 1 out of 4. not that i give a shit, but why even say this?

billy has to stop doing all the backing vocals. and singing like he has post-2000. of course, he won't do either: at this stage he is impervious to criticism regarding his vocals.

it sounds like rtb produced the rose march, at a guess.

again, again, again sounds zwan-ish, probably due to the vocals more than anything. okay, but nothing special.

the vocal fuckery on the rose march is by far the most annoying. the song is still okay except for the terrible intro; trim the first 0:34 off and improve it immensely.

sunkissed is a fine track, building nicely around 1:45.

pox reminded me of alice in chains, for some reason. again, a good song.

so, 2 good songs, with 2 so-so. i will buy this when it becomes available in europe.

xyumachine
01-01-2008, 05:58 PM
The Again, Again, Again song is also from the Pete Townshend gig. I wonder if all of them were written back in 2006.

from the lyrics

how do you know this? how did you compare the lyrics to this song and the supposed Townshend gig version? care to share details?

Mayfuck
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
again and pox are pretty forgettable and boring. and even though sunkissed and rose march are okay, i dont have the urge to listen to them again. i thought billy still wrote good acoustic songs.

MonkeyMan
01-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Upon further listens, I'd rank them like this from best to worst:

Pox
The Crux
Sunkissed
Rose March

Rose March isn't bad, but it pisses me off a bit since I think the live version is MUCH better.

smashingdreams
01-01-2008, 06:16 PM
it seems to me that billy viewed the ep as an opportunity to be more experimental, knowing that it wouldn't be a major release and subject to the endless criticism and analysis that full length releases endure. i sort of consider it as a test run for their next major release. billy probably realized that things like the intro to the rose march might end up sounding ridiculous, but that this was the time to try it and see what happens.

that said, i think there are some bright spots here. sunkissed has a nice vibe similiar to 99 hours/floors (whatever it's called). i really the acoustic/organ combination. hopefully, that shows up again, again, again somewhere.

god that joke was awful.

Cherub Angel
01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm with the people who don't understand the hate for the EP. Agreed that it's more produced than I would have liked, but it's not crap.

MonkeyMan
01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm with the people who don't understand the hate for the EP. Agreed that it's more produced than I would have liked, but it's not crap.

That's about what I think. It took me a couple listens to get into, but I'm liking it. Rose March still bothers me a bit, but I think I'll get used to it.

Netphorian Gadabout
01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Still nothing near as good as the TRACK zangief, almost makes buy'n the target one worth it :/

http://www.zangief.net/images/zangief0.gif

Cherub Angel
01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
also, I don't mind the addition of electric guitar at all. If there's anything I'll criticize it's Corgan's backing vocals. Parts are fine, but some are either too high in the mix or just unnecessary (most of this is in "Rose March")

It is interesting how reviews of this thing are pretty mixed on what songs people like and dislike. Some like Rose March, others are crying. Some love Pox, others hate it. Further proves my theory that everyone has a different vision of this band.

Frankenstein
01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
note to self: people are different

Cherub Angel
01-01-2008, 06:44 PM
note to self: people are different

http://scottthong.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/individuality.jpg

Lucy Faringold
01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Wow, can't fathom why so many people aren't feeling this release. It has surpassed all my expectations and I absolutely love it. It has a great, loose feel which is in marked contrast to the style of Zeitgeist, and it's so nice to hear a groove like the one that drives Pox. There's so much subtle variation across just four tracks, I'm so pleased Corgan is still writing songs as good as these. The combination of organ and guitar on Sunkissed is just dreamy and generally they seem to have taken a lot of care to get the production right. I can see this growing to be one of my favourite SP releases in fact. Well done lads!

Wasabi
01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
the non pronouncing of consonants drives me fucking mad too.. literaly i shout out "stop that!" everytime he does it.

WHY WHY WHY the FUCK has he started doing that? WHY? it is beyond annoying.

I do the literal shouting of 'cut it the fuck out' all over the place ... it is infuriating ... especially from a guy who used to pride himself on his lyrical ability and not so much his vocal quality....

sigh.

stephen_bayne
01-01-2008, 06:50 PM
This EP managed to grow on me overnight. I'm even starting to come around on The Crux. Then again when it comes to Billy's music I'm like Dale Kerrigan when his wife serves him up a meal. I'm sure the Aussies on the board will get my meaning.

sh sh shayne
01-01-2008, 07:00 PM
http://www.zangief.net/images/zangief0.gif

:rofl: that should have been the cover of zeitgiest.

sh sh shayne
01-01-2008, 07:01 PM
i think im the only person that didnt like the rose march in it's 9 minute form, nor do i really like it in the 4 minute form.

:/

really picked the wrong residency song. oh well

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I found this very interesting and strangely hypnotic to read.

I'm a witch :)

generally they seem to have taken a lot of care to get the production right.

I guess if Billy's vocals overpowering the music=good production, then you're right. However, I'm almost immune to it from listening to Zeitgeist so much. I think they probably did take a lot of time to get the production the way they wanted it, but I guess it just isn't my thing.

Upon a second listen, "Again Again Again" (while having quite an obnoxious title) isn't as awful as I thought. Still my least favorite song, but not terrible. "POX" is still great. I predicted that I'd like this song based on "DIA" and "PSA" being my favorite songs from Billy's & Jimmy's solo albums. And I was right! I'm a psychic. Three-letter song titles OWN.

wHATcOLOR
01-01-2008, 07:09 PM
i don't like it, but since it only cost $4 and we didn't have to wait years and years for it, i'm not bothered or upset at all. it's so much easier to take them at face value when there's no so much stupid buildup. i agree with the others that have said he kind of messed rose march up by adding too many flourishes, it stood on its own better. and the way he's done his vocals lately is just not pleasant. as weird as his voice has always been, it was very pleasant on everything up to adore, and not even too bad on machina, but now it seems more harsh/irritating

T&T
01-01-2008, 07:13 PM
AAC → 320mp3 is hurting my ears... :(

i want a lossless rip...

can someone try
AAC → wave(burn a cd) → flac ?

when are bands gonna start giving their recordings headroom! (lets not discuss this, just let me vent)

Boots Electric
01-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I read pretty much the whole thread before listening to the songs and I was expecting complete garbage. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. I like these 4 songs a lot more than pretty much anything on Zeitgeist. It would be much better sans the dripping-with-gay backing vocals, but they sort of fit the songs here, whereas they sounded completely out of place on Zeitgeist...so I guess thats a step in the right direction.

I completely understand the overall disappointment expressed in this thread however. Fortunately for me, I've been getting progressively more and more into this sort of subdued (or as some of you have called it, "boring") not-quite-acoustic music over the last few years, so I dig this quite a bit.

B+

The song-writing, guitar-playing, and general musicianship is as good as ever. I agree totally about the mixing/recording though; someone seriously needs to step in and protect Billy's music from him.

<sp3
01-01-2008, 07:34 PM
i like it, its my favorite type of pumpkins

rose march was butchered however

<sp3
01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
wow, Pox kicks ass

greedo
01-01-2008, 07:38 PM
AAC → 320mp3 is hurting my ears... :(

i want a lossless rip...

can someone try
AAC → wave(burn a cd) → flac ?

when are bands gonna start giving their recordings headroom! (lets not discuss this, just let me vent)

Surely you can wait until someone gets a CD version? Do you really need that 1% of mostly inaudible extra data right now?

Rickpat12
01-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Surely you can wait until someone gets a CD version? Do you really need that 1% of mostly inaudible extra data right now?

did you forget to type "flame away" after the end of your statement.

ps. Pox still owns.

T&T
01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
if it helps my ears from hurting, yes. :embarass:

ryoga
01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
how do you know this? how did you compare the lyrics to this song and the supposed Townshend gig version? care to share details?

Second-hand information. I know someone who went to the show and aside from trying to tell me what some of the songs sounded like they also mentioned some lyrics. Most of them I forgot about however, I do remember that one of them had the repeating line “when will I see you (or was it her? meh) again…again, again, again” etc. Though, it is a possibility that he may have just recycled that line into a different song.
EDIT: I forgot to add that they also mentioned the "don't let go again" part as well...I just didn't know if it was part of the same song.

mahkus11
01-01-2008, 07:57 PM
anybody transcribed the lyrics for rose march yet?

MonteLDS
01-01-2008, 08:06 PM

ya

The world is a vampire, sent to drain
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
And what do I get, for my pain?
Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game

Even though I know - I suppose I'll show
All my cool and cold - like old job

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved

Now I'm naked, nothing but an animal
But can you fake it, for just one more show?
And what do you want?
I want to change
And what have you got, when you feel the same?

Even though I know - I suppose I'll show
All my cool and cold - like old job

Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved

Tell me I'm the only one
Tell me there's no other one
Jesus was the only son, yeah.
Tell me I'm the chosen one
Jesus was the only son for you

And someone will say what is lost can never be saved

Despite all my rage am I still just a rat in a-
Despite all my rage am I still just a rat in a-
Despite all my rage am I still just a rat in a cage

Tell me I'm the only one
Tell me there's no other one
Jesus was the only son for you

[x4]
And I still beleive that I cannot be saved

Rickpat12
01-01-2008, 08:08 PM
This EP is explict because in Pox, the second line starts as Blistering Bitch, or something along those lines :)

xezton
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Just listened to the whole thing.

I liked it all. Every song was pretty good. It wasn't like some eye-opening piece of perfection or anything, but it was very good.

Only song I didn't really like was Rose March, but just because of the Ladedadeda stuff. It was pretty good too though.

I'm happy.

MonteLDS
01-01-2008, 08:11 PM
i thought he said Restless not Blistering

Rickpat12
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah it probably is, I was just going off of memory.

wHATcOLOR
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM

la-da-da
la-da-da
daaa daaa
la la la laaaaa
la-da-da
la-da-da
laaaa laaa
la la la laaaaa
la-da-da
la-da-da
laaa laaa
la la la laaaaa

ladada
laaaaaa la la laaaa

slow pose
and cross eyed
visions owed to
the railroad ties
humpbacked
and sugar shacked
shotgun wed to
the poison of our past
a little longer
a little longer to go
we've a little longer
a little longer to go
i just can't 'elp say so
'ant you see me
can't you see me at all
interspaced (ohhhh)
and piefaced (ohhhhh)
you catch the moon
i'll just stand here and run in place
shell shocked (ohhhhh)
and half-cocked (ohhhhhh)
the universe is
'ull of black holes
and anniversary nights
a little longer to go
we've a little longer
a little longer to go
we've a little longer to go
can't you see me at all
can't you see me
can't you see me at all
can't you see me
can't you see me
can't you see me at all

i'll lay
roses at your feet
till you
decide
there is something great
in you
i'll lay
roses at your feet
till you
decide
there is something great
in you
ladada
ladada
lalaa laaa
we've only just begun to greive (ladada ladada lalaa laaa)
grieve the space, ohhh
we've only just begun to greive the space, grieve the space, the space (ladada ladada lalaa laaa)
we've only just begun to grieve, grieve the space, the space (ladada ladada lalaa laaa)

that's just approximate/guess. i'm sure the la-da-das and some of the repeated lyrics at the end aren't quite right, and there are a few words in the verses i had to guess at

(slow pose? slow posed? slow post? slow poke?)
(humpbacked? humpbat?)
(interspaced? innerspaced?)
(pie faced? parfaced?)

amar0331
01-01-2008, 08:21 PM
The Rose March is fucking great. At first I wasn't so sure, but I really dig the electric guitar and drums they added to the song. The intro has also grown on me a ton. If the vocals were lower in the mix (and the song was recorded pre-1997), it would probably be regarded as some of Corgan's finest work. The songwriting is THAT good.

hereisnowhy
01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
It's nice to see another new style for the pumpkins. American Gothic has its own sound, just like any of the albums. I'll need more time to evaluate the songs properly, but how amazing to have songs promised and released in such a short time.

xyumachine
01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Second-hand information. I know someone who went to the show and aside from trying to tell me what some of the songs sounded like they also mentioned some lyrics. Most of them I forgot about however, I do remember that one of them had the repeating line “when will I see you (or was it her? meh) again…again, again, again” etc. Though, it is a possibility that he may have just recycled that line into a different song.

thanks for sharing that. I wonder if anyone taped this set?

reprise85
01-01-2008, 08:29 PM
first listen was really hard to get through. on my second listen, I find myself liking it a lot more. there is a lot going on, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think when it all settles, this is better than most of zeitgeist, and that's it. nothing really special. but better. lyrics are meh but don't seem as bad... just my first impressions. best to worst: pox, againx3, rose march, sunkissed.

wHATcOLOR
01-01-2008, 08:32 PM
in my 'purchased' playlist itunes sets up, there are two acoustic two gallants songs right after these songs and a few times when the american gothic songs are playing i almost thought 'this isn't so bad'. then the two gallants come on and i realize, 'well it sure wasn't so good'

reprise85
01-01-2008, 08:38 PM
del.

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 09:22 PM
The more I think of this as what it is, just an EP to get us excited and to allow Bill and Jim to get used to being SP again, I like it a lot more.

I think I was still sort of in my anticipation-for-the-greatest-album-ever mode from before Zeitgeist came out (obviously it's not the greatest album ever, but I like it). Anyway, now that I'm lightening up a little and realizing... hey, this was recorded in a month, and it's no big deal that I'm not head-over-heels in love with it, I'm actually enjoying it more.

Sometimes I just gotta loosen up a little.

That said, I'm expecting their next album to be Billy-chorus-free. Seriously. Just... stop. I think we've all had enough. It's cool for Zeitgeist, but let's move on, Billy :)

And I'm sure he will. He has yet to repeat himself (generally speaking)

Frankenstein
01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I think I was still sort of in my anticipation-for-the-greatest-album-ever mode from before Zeitgeist came out

no kidding. I always thought he would take the entire seven year break to write zeitgeist. turns out I was wrong

Elvis The Fat Years
01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
The more I think of this as what it is, just an EP to get us excited and to allow Bill and Jim to get used to being SP again, I like it a lot more.

and the excuses just keep coming.

it really is impossible for some of you admit that this band sucks now.

skipgo
01-01-2008, 09:26 PM
if he'd just start pronouncing consonants again, i'd be happy.

skipgo
01-01-2008, 09:27 PM
and the excuses just keep coming.

hi elvis! guess what i'm doing?

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 09:28 PM

Or that.

Although I don't think so. With the residency songs as proof (in my opinion) Billy's still got the songwriting ability. There's something about the studio that makes him go nuts, though... I think he's forgotten the affect a SIMPLE song can have on a person. Either he's forgotten or he just doesn't care.

T&T
01-01-2008, 09:29 PM
That said, I'm expecting their next album to be Billy-chorus-free. Seriously. Just... stop. I think we've all had enough.

haven't you heard that billy is taking drum lessons?
he might not even need jimmy for the next album

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 09:32 PM
That... would be interesting.

That's really all I have to say.

In all seriousness, though, Billy's more or less always done backup vocals himself. Sure, D'arcy and James sang here and there, but for the most part it's been Billy. It's not the fact that he's singing loads of harmony, it's just the way his vocals stand out so much.

Like I said, I love Zeitgeist and American Gothic is growing on me (even The Rose March despite my bitterness) but I don't want him to think that this whole vocal layering thing is really great and he should do it forever. I'm just nervous that this is never going to end...! :p

Elvis The Fat Years
01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
i just wish penis enlargement pills worked.

Frankenstein
01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
what was this board like shortly after June 2nd 1998?

SlingeroGuitaro
01-01-2008, 09:53 PM
i enjoy it

i never heard the residency version of rose march, so i dont have anything to compare this to. i enjoy the song, though.

reprise85
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
i have no idea, but amsp did not like what it heard.

apetulantfrenzy
01-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Wow, can't fathom why so many people aren't feeling this release. It has surpassed all my expectations and I absolutely love it. It has a great, loose feel which is in marked contrast to the style of Zeitgeist, and it's so nice to hear a groove like the one that drives Pox. There's so much subtle variation across just four tracks, I'm so pleased Corgan is still writing songs as good as these. The combination of organ and guitar on Sunkissed is just dreamy and generally they seem to have taken a lot of care to get the production right. I can see this growing to be one of my favourite SP releases in fact. Well done lads!

Agree completely. Better mixing than Zeitgeist, good lyrics, nice variety, new mood.

reprise85
01-01-2008, 10:00 PM
IF I'M GONNA LIVE
IF I'M GONNA LIVE

smashkin33
01-01-2008, 10:13 PM
i'm finally just downloading these now... i finally felt the motivation.

SlingeroGuitaro
01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
these songs sound a lot like 'untitled'

reprise85
01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
listen to pox first so you can be happy for a couple minutes

ryoga
01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I suppose the songs are decent, certainly not my favourites; I don’t think I’ll be listening to them very often though. I like POX and The Rose March the most so far.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me but a lot of his lyrics recently don’t make a whole lotta sense. Though I get the general gist of the meaning of the songs there are a lot of lines that make me go :think: or :erm:

SlingeroGuitaro
01-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me but a lot of his lyrics recently don’t make a whole lotta sense. Though I get the general gist of the meaning of the songs there are a lot of lines that make me go :think: or :erm:

a lot of :rofl: and :rolleyes: and :hurl: for me

SlingeroGuitaro
01-01-2008, 10:25 PM
jesus, his 'cant' at 1:33 in rose march makes me want to eat kittens.

'ckkc ant'

i thought it was a pop in the audio

reprise85
01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
hey in againx3, after 'put my heart on your chopping block' does he say 'be defiled... don't let go?' (0:41) I really hope so. My heard lyrics are usually better than the real ones

my favorite in the song though
"judgement day comes every day"

SlingeroGuitaro
01-01-2008, 10:30 PM
might as well say 'pedophile dont let go'

ryoga
01-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Chopping block? I kept hearing sharpened blood. Either way, they're both stupid. Anyways, I think he says "feed me fire".

Netphorian Gadabout
01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
I've only listened to this twice but Pox is my favorite so far. It reminds me of Pisces Iscariot for some reason. The rest are OK but not exceptionally great.

ryoga
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
a lot of :rofl: and :rolleyes: and :hurl: for me

Indeed. There is a bit of that going on as well. Sunkissed and Againx3 contain quite a bit of emoticon inducing lines. I think he actually says "Chase the bees of the death songs wait" in sunkissed...not to mention the cannonball line.

Rickpat12
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I suppose the songs are decent, certainly not my favourites; I don’t think I’ll be listening to them very often though. I like POX and The Rose March the most so far.

Well have you read his latest blog posts?

But seriously, I like the lyrics.

reprise85
01-01-2008, 10:40 PM
the lyrics are okay for the most part. zeitgeist's lyrics weren't very thoughtful. at least the songs seem to have a storyline/meaning, they are definitely better... but when the lyrics are off, man are they off:

I know I'm right, I can't be wrong
Put up you're dukes, you're not so strong :erm:

Rickpat12
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
ok, in Pox is it "Another dumb kid/Shot him"?

ryoga
01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I have read them. I suppose the lyrics aren't all bad but I must admit I'm not too big of a fan of the "zeitgeist" era lyrics.

reprise85
01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I think maybe it's

another dumb kid, shattered
another restless bitch, still fucked
another magic trick, unite us now

or "shadow"

BlissedandGone2
01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
these songs sound a lot like 'untitled'

:erm:

slunken
01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
its quite good i like it

:D

againx3 sounds like zwan, tho

reprise85
01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I don't really agree that they sound like untitled. if you mean at first listen they sound like a complete mess, yes, that's true. but they unravel easily

Rickpat12
01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Shattered/Shadow sound more right in my mind at least.

I have heard shadow too, so maybe that's it.

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 10:48 PM
i never heard the residency version of rose march

Why not!?

I'll make it easy for you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HlaYOlM9FOI

I don't know how to embed on this forum. BUT STILL! Just listen. So much better.

mv2007
01-01-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty happy with AG. The vocals on Pox are mixed better than anything on Zeitgeist and the other songs on AG. I think that's why it is getting a pretty positive response so far. Definitely my favorite with Sunkissed close behind.

As others have said, Rose March fell victim to Zeitgeist-style vocal production. Its unfortunate b/c otherwise its a damn good song. Again, Again, Again...meh.

I would love it if they'd continue to release EPs like this. Its a great way to get random tracks out there without the headaches of a major release.

ryoga
01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't know how to embed on this forum. BUT STILL! Just listen. So much better.

You see where it says "Embed" beside the video? Just copy and paste it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HlaYOlM9FOI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HlaYOlM9FOI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Frankenstein
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
ok, in Pox is it "Another dumb kid/Shot him"?

shutup

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
are you kidding me?

I'm an idiot.

I figured it was something special for forums. Jeez I'm dumb.

MonteLDS
01-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Jeez I'm dumb.

finally, she admits it

reprise85
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
she's admitted it before. we're all still in some stage of learning the internetz

Rickpat12
01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
are you kidding me?

I'm an idiot.

I figured it was something special for forums. Jeez I'm dumb.

haha at first glance I thought you said "Jezz I'm drunk" haha, I laughed and was like "Jessica, no"

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 11:02 PM
finally, she admits it

Like reprise said, I've admitted it dozens of times. I'm not what you'd call internet-savvy, if you haven't noticed. I can't stay mad at you, though, monte. You're too darn handy around here, what with all your video-taping and uploading and such. Good man.

haha at first glance I thought you said "Jezz I'm drunk" haha, I laughed and was like "Jessica, no"

haaaahahahaha! Oh man... I'd be an obnoxious drunk. I can just tell. I'm obnoxious sober!

monkeyfritters
01-01-2008, 11:20 PM
bland, shitty, overproduced and infuriating! better than zeitgeist. billy's voice is so terrible and he's run out of good melodies. seriously why even release this?

i want to kill billy corgan. another restless bitch still fucked?

monkeyfritters
01-01-2008, 11:22 PM
"i know im right, i cant be wrong" - billy corgan

reprise85
01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
i don't know if he actually says 'still fucked' there

Thomas
01-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I like it... I was a bit dissapointed with the rendition of The Rose March, but i mean... it's not like we're not used to cheesy backing vocals and lalalas..

Nice songs - just what I needed to start the new year! :)

SpFission
01-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't really like Rose March at all, but the others are pretty good.

suncrashesdown
01-02-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm a big fan of the bass on Pox

suncrashesdown
01-02-2008, 12:04 AM
BTW, has anyone figured out yet if the newer Pumpkins are playing on this one, or is it all Billy and Jimmy again?

franzel
01-02-2008, 12:11 AM
anybody please???

franzel
01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
oh, adn i'm outside of the us and i dont have a mastercard...

You Said
01-02-2008, 12:15 AM
don't lose any sleep over these boring songs.

reprise85
01-02-2008, 12:18 AM
it would be crazy if the vocals are all billy and the others are playing and not singing... sounds like bc/jc to me

i_adore_adore
01-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm a big fan of the bass on Pox

YES. I'm also quite fond of the bass on The Rose March. Very simple, but it adds a lot.

it would be crazy if the vocals are all billy and the others are playing and not singing... sounds like bc/jc to me

I dunno how "crazy" that'd be, but I agree with you. I'm pretty sure it's just Billy and Jimmy.

emotionalfriend
01-02-2008, 12:33 AM
this thread is hilarious!

threetwooneZERO
01-02-2008, 12:58 AM
ep = blah

Gossamer
01-02-2008, 01:38 AM
I can tell you for a fact that it is just billy and jimmy on this release.

davin
01-02-2008, 02:14 AM
I can tell you for a fact that it is just billy and jimmy on this release.

this is true. them two recording, and a little help from RTB producing.

davin
01-02-2008, 02:15 AM
ep = blah

a POX on both your houses! a POX on both your houses!

House of Bread
01-02-2008, 02:25 AM
Dude, I really like Sunkissed.

trev
01-02-2008, 02:34 AM
i'm upping them now, but i'm also seeding an x-files torrent with higher priority so i don't get banned from super torrents. the torrent is sucking most of my upload speed, so it'll be a while. half hour or so.

edit - cancelled my upload after reading below. if they are fakes, bad luck.

amar0331
01-02-2008, 02:39 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YA5BEU7Q

MaryAnn272
01-02-2008, 02:40 AM
American Gothic isn't very good but here you go. (http://www.sendspace.com/file/2gbvjz) :)

EDIT: amar0331 beat me to it.

Rider
01-02-2008, 02:42 AM
American Gothic isn't very good but here you go. (http://www.sendspace.com/file/2gbvjz) :)

EDIT: amar0331 beat me to it.

Jesus hates thieves.

MaryAnn272
01-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Jesus hates thieves.

Jesus doesn't hate anyone silly. :)

srt4b
01-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Wait...you can't post torrent links on here but you can post virus/malware/spamed out upload sites?

EDIT: wait M. Night Shyamalan is upping pumpkins boots now? WTF? Lady in the Water sukked but ha can't be that bored.

trev
01-02-2008, 02:48 AM
can't post torrent links???

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=135739 (http://www.2girls1cup.com)

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=154747 (http://www.lemonparty.org)

what gave you that idea....

MaryAnn272
01-02-2008, 02:49 AM
I love the new Rose March. :love:

La da da la da da da da

MaryAnn272
01-02-2008, 02:51 AM

:hurl:

Banana
01-02-2008, 02:53 AM
Listening to it now.

Done with Again Again Again and I like it.

Will post my thoughts after every song for my personal shits and giggles.

edit 1: Rose March is alright. Was never a huge fan of it, actually think I like this version better with the addition of the electric guitar. Really wish he would use ginger and lisa as the backup vocals instead of himself. But I guess he is really hesitant on tying anyone else to the band permanently.

edit 2: Sunkissed seems like a really layed back song. Nothing really stands out from it though. Indifferent about it after one listen.

edit 3: Really like Pox, probably my favorite after 1 listen through.

I'd say so far I rank them
1. Pox
2. Again, Again, Again
Tie for 3rd-4th. Rose March and Sunkissed.

srt4b
01-02-2008, 02:54 AM

missed the point

pumpkinxyu
01-02-2008, 02:55 AM
meaningless opinion-only post, but i think the whole ep is a beautiful addition to this little era in pumpkins history. i would be surprised if the people who didn't like Zeitgeist (or its b-sides/bonus tracks, at the very least) are going to be thrilled with the recording, but for a guy like me who feels no shame in being an unrelenting Zeitgeist enthusiast...couldn't be happier. can't wait to see what the rest of 2008 brings.

trev
01-02-2008, 03:04 AM
missed the point

well, i know it's pretty complex, but i'll give it a shot:

those threads contain torrent links. if you know how to read, and can follow a line of discussion, i think you'll get there eventually. keep trying anyway.

Rickpat12
01-02-2008, 03:05 AM
iTunes has them

Banana
01-02-2008, 03:20 AM
Again, Again, Again sounds like a foo fighters song for some reason. At least the chorus does.

Corganisphere
01-02-2008, 04:09 AM
so is there going to be a standalone version, or do I have to buy these separate? I thought it might be cool if I could pretend it wasn't related to zeitgeist.

D.
01-02-2008, 04:44 AM
ep = blah
<ph>

darcyismybass
01-02-2008, 05:40 AM
Or that.

Although I don't think so. With the residency songs as proof (in my opinion) Billy's still got the songwriting ability. There's something about the studio that makes him go nuts, though... I think he's forgotten the affect a SIMPLE song can have on a person. Either he's forgotten or he just doesn't care.

He has no one around to stop him...that's the problem. I'm sure that Jim just smiles, nods, drums and sits there hearing the crap continue churning.

darcyismybass
01-02-2008, 06:00 AM
You know, I find myself mildly shocked that I'm saying this...but "Again, Again, Again" sounds like acoustic Dashboard Confessional. :(

darcyismybass
01-02-2008, 06:04 AM
Wow...POX is the only good thing on this EP.

TheDeuce
01-02-2008, 06:09 AM
i just listened to this thing for the first time, twice. after the first listen pox was my favorite. great song. overall the ep was "ok".

Sarrod
01-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Sunkissed and Againx3 don't work for me, but Rose March is pretty fine (backing vocals would be better if Ginger had done them, but ok). Pox however is insanely great! I think this is the best Pumpkins song since the resurrected Pumpkins. This song would have a much better change of scoring as a single than anything of Zeitgeist imho.

What I like the most about this EP is the mixed feelings that it seems to provoke. Everyone disagrees on the highlights en letdowns. And that's just how it's supposed to be; for some to love it, others have to hate it :)

areyougaffney?
01-02-2008, 07:23 AM
been on i-tunes england and it's not there?????

any ideas anyone...I want it.

Can anyone send space it please?

areyougaffney?
01-02-2008, 07:27 AM
not in U.K yet on i-tunes. Any ideas?

ChristHimself!
01-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Jesus doesn't hate anyone silly. :)

i hate you, cunt

srt4b
01-02-2008, 07:37 AM
well, i know it's pretty complex, but i'll give it a shot:

those threads contain torrent links. if you know how to read, and can follow a line of discussion, i think you'll get there eventually. keep trying anyway.

lmao, now you have missed the point TWICE!

trev
01-02-2008, 08:20 AM
lmao, now you have missed the point TWICE!

well please elaborate, what was this "point"?

painbird
01-02-2008, 08:37 AM
wow.. utter crap. too bad really

russian iha
01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Againx3 is a great song, I don't know why everybody bashes it. It doesn't sound Zwan either.

smashingjj
01-02-2008, 08:45 AM
sp = blah

New Art Rioter
01-02-2008, 08:47 AM
I've only heard these songs once so I can't comment on the songwriting quality of the tunes apart from The Rose March. But it utterly baffles me that a man who created such lush tunes like Obscured, In The Arms Of Sleep, or even something like the Spun songs could fuck up a mix so much. The Rose March is such a lovely song, but the la-la-laing and the dry, cranked up vocal mix completely destroy the subtle nature of the material. Seriously, this sounds like someone leant on the vocal faders of the mixer by mistake, and it never got picked up on

russian iha
01-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Btw, Sunkissed would sound proper with a good drowned My Bloody Valentine arrangement (I mean, not TFE), it has the same potential as Daydream to be a shoegaze song.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 09:45 AM
why do so many people like pox? it makes me cringe.

the mahatma
01-02-2008, 10:43 AM
this one is actually growing on me.

i'm actually catching an SP vibe off of this in some spots which can't really be said for zeitgeist, at all, ever.

somaziro
01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
I figured out why Billy chose songs that were probably written before the last tour and why he recorded them without jeff and ginger - its simple, he didn't want to have to pay them royalties or give them writing credits, and he probably didn't want their names associated with an official smashing pumpkins release just in case he decides to fire them later.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
it seems like everyone here looks at billy and sees nothing but dollar signs in his eyes. Why is that? There's still not a single person who can prove that billy had anything to do with the misguided marketing of zeitgeist, and that's the ONLY reason i can think of that might lead someone to believe he's in it for the money. Maybe we should wait and see if the band chooses to leave warner when their contract is up, and see how they handle things then, when we know they're more in control. To say he kept the new members out simply because he didn't want to pay them is pretty presumptuous. We fans have a bad habit of assuming we know everything that goes on behind closed doors, when clearly we don't.

Rider
01-02-2008, 11:15 AM
it seems like everyone here looks at billy and sees nothing but dollar signs in his eyes. Why is that? There's still not a single person who can prove that billy had anything to do with the misguided marketing of zeitgeist, and that's the ONLY reason i can think of that might lead someone to believe he's in it for the money. Maybe we should wait and see if the band chooses to leave warner when their contract is up, and see how they handle things then, when we know they're more in control. To say he kept the new members out simply because he didn't want to pay them is pretty presumptuous. We fans have a bad habit of assuming we know everything that goes on behind closed doors, when clearly we don't.

Selling used band equipment on his website for hundreds of dollars is nothing more then a money grab. Also his recent licensing of songs all over the place. you can argue alot of things but Billy is doing a lot of things to make money.

Liandrin
01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't have it because I refuse to pay for drm music.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't share it if I had it.

Heh... Maybe that's why it's DRMed.

Sarcastic Smile
01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I guess I just thought this was going to be a little more..raw? I don't know....

Liandrin
01-02-2008, 11:27 AM
SP got a new manager about a year ago. That may have something to do with the recent cash grabs. I doubt the label has anything to do with the auctioning off of used equipment.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Selling used band equipment on his website for hundreds of dollars is nothing more then a money grab. Also his recent licensing of songs all over the place. you can argue alot of things but Billy is doing a lot of things to make money.

my point was that we don't know how much of that is billy, and how much of it is warner trying to make sure they fulfill contract obligations, or just making sure they recoup what was put into the record. Until someone can PROVE to me that billy's behind all of these things, I won't put the blame on him simply because it's the easiest thing to do. I do think that 10 years ago billy had a lot of control, but let's face it, most people these days don't give a flying fuck about his band, and warner knows that. I doubt that he has the same level of control over things as he once did.

the point i was trying to get across is that NONE of us knows for sure how this is all going down. We can sit here and point fingers all we want, but that doesn't change the fact that we really don't know.

wounded
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
should have used question mark

Rider
01-02-2008, 11:35 AM
my point was that we don't know how much of that is billy, and how much of it is warner trying to make sure they fulfill contract obligations, or just making sure they recoup what was put into the record. Until someone can PROVE to me that billy's behind all of these things, I won't put the blame on him simply because it's the easiest thing to do. I do think that 10 years ago billy had a lot of control, but let's face it, most people these days don't give a flying fuck about his band, and warner knows that. I doubt that he has the same level of control over things as he once did.

the point i was trying to get across is that NONE of us knows for sure how this is all going down. We can sit here and point fingers all we want, but that doesn't change the fact that we really don't know.

Trust me the it's all Billy. Billy is not having his road crew save microphones for Warner. And again look at how Trent handled his record company trying to force him to do this stuff. Billy is happily rolling in the dough. Not to mention how would anyone but him all suddenly allow his music to be licensed, what for 20 ears he had control of everything and then all of a sudden he has no control. I'm not saying all this bad, but I am saying Billy is the one behind it.

areyougaffney?
01-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Help!

American gothic isn't on UK itunes and can't do the mega upload thing. I'm shit at computers and on mates laptop so don't wanna download a load of stuff to convert a rar file?

Anyway can anyone please, please sendspace it? a simple mp3 to download that goes straight on i-tunes.

I thoight I was getting new tunes today and I haven't heard them yet. I'm sad and gotta go back to work tomorrow :(

Any help..please?

Cherub Angel
01-02-2008, 11:55 AM
so we're going to consider packaging a microphone and a few drum heads to be "selling off the tour equipment" for a quick buck? I believe they usually sell off these things anyway for either hard rock cafe stuff or charity. I think we're all taking this a tad too seriously. Plus, this discussion is in the wrong thread, bitches.

somaziro
01-02-2008, 11:59 AM

money was only one part of it, the other part is the fact that there is no proof that jeff and ginger are members of the smashing pumpkins and not just touring musicians. if billy decides to fire them, he probably doesn't want to go through the same issues that he has been going through with darcy and james. having them on the new album, or music in which they contributed, would cement their status as actually being 'in the band' to most everyone - even if that was not the case.

either way, money or not having them in the legal entity of the band, it sucks because there were soooo many good residency songs he could have chosen to record and they probably would have been better with some of jeff's neat additions. although they probably would have still suffered from the shitty studio production wankery and the chorus of billy's... =/

somaziro
01-02-2008, 12:01 PM
so we're going to consider packaging a microphone and a few drum heads to be "selling off the tour equipment" for a quick buck? I believe they usually sell off these things anyway for either hard rock cafe stuff or charity. I think we're all taking this a tad too seriously. Plus, this discussion is in the wrong thread, bitches.

bullshit, this discussion is in the right thread. its about how shitty AG is, and why billy chose songs that were written before jeff and ginger started touring and writing with billy and jimmy.

Cherub Angel
01-02-2008, 12:02 PM
bullshit, this discussion is in the right thread. its about how shitty AG is, and why billy chose songs that were written before jeff and ginger started touring and writing with billy and jimmy.

well fine, talk about AG....but there is another thread to bitch about the "new merchandise."

RenewRevive
01-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Really wish he would use ginger and lisa as the backup vocals instead of himself. But I guess he is really hesitant on tying anyone else to the band permanently.

i hear that you can hire musicians to work in the studio without forking over bundles of cash or inviting them into the band.

face reality: billy has absolutely no fucking clue how bad he is killing this music with the combination of his awful, harsh, flat amped-up delivery and truly spectacularly ruinous backing vocals; despite this two of the songs on the ep actually still work. he (and his accomplices in the studio) already torpedoed zeitgeist with this shit. if the new album features his voice as the focal point again to this degree, it too will fail, regardless of how good the songwriting/playing is. billy has to realize the limitations of his voice, listen to the old albums and get back to being that guy.

and how tough would it be to hire someone like rachel haden to do the backing?

SpFission
01-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Best - Sunkissed / Pox

Worst - Rose March / Againx3

SpFission
01-02-2008, 12:07 PM
i hear that you can hire musicians to work in the studio without forking over bundles of cash or inviting them into the band.

face reality: billy has absolutely no fucking clue how bad he is killing this music with the combination of his awful, harsh, flat amped-up delivery and truly spectacularly ruinous backing vocals; despite this two of the songs on the ep actually still work. he (and his accomplices in the studio) already torpedoed zeitgeist with this shit. if the new album features his voice as the focal point again to this degree, it too will fail, regardless of how good the songwriting/playing is. billy has to realize the limitations of his voice, listen to the old albums and get back to being that guy.

agree for the most part...if only he could get his vocals back on track..

POX is an example of how he should sing.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 12:07 PM
money was only one part of it, the other part is the fact that there is no proof that jeff and ginger are members of the smashing pumpkins and not just touring musicians. if billy decides to fire them, he probably doesn't want to go through the same issues that he has been going through with darcy and james. having them on the new album, or music in which they contributed, would cement their status as actually being 'in the band' to most everyone - even if that was not the case.

either way, money or not having them in the legal entity of the band, it sucks because there were soooo many good residency songs he could have chosen to record and they probably would have been better with some of jeff's neat additions. although they probably would have still suffered from the shitty studio production wankery and the chorus of billy's... =/

yeah, all of that stuff i agree with you on :)
and even the money part could very well be true; it's just that all we can do is speculate, as none of us have read their contracts, sat in on meetings, or any other such thing. There's certainly a trend towards negativity amongst sp's fans, but in this case I don't think it's fair to make accusations when we don't really know what's happening. I didn't even mean you specifically when i made that post, I was referring to many such posts in the past months.

Rider
01-02-2008, 12:08 PM

I'm sure at some point Billy did something to piss of Rachel Hayden, the entire 90's alternative rock crowd seems to hate him. I would like to add that the shows she did back up for Jimmy Eat World are pretty amazing.

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:09 PM
First, the songs fucking suck.

Second, skipgos a stupid cunt.

Third, for all the anti "industry" rants bill likes to shout at the top of his lungs, he has no problem letting warner dictate how his album will be sold. The multigiest shit was to milk his fans, the stupid retards like davin and icecream dude. The concert prices are expensive. The tshirts low quality and expensive. Don't bring up that lame 75 buck shirt or however much it was. It was high quality, but still, fucking expensive. Releasing zeitgiest AGAIN, six months later. The inclusion of cherub rock in rock band, and guitar hero 3. The ford commercial. The selling of memorabillia on the website. Yeah, Bill has nothing to do with any of that shit.

Also, isn't it even more than obvious now that ginger and that dorky looking fuck are nothing but props? Not including them in the "american gothic" recordings just so he wouldn't have to pay them royalties is fucking sad. Why even care about them when they can be easily replaced if one of them so much as questions bills word, or goes all immoral on him.

smashkin33
01-02-2008, 12:09 PM
i listened to the songs on the way in to work this am.
the la-da-da la-da-da multiple billy voices stuff in the rose march drives me kinda nuts. i would have liked to hear some backup vocals from a woman.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 12:10 PM

now this is some negativity i can get behind.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Second, skipgos a stupid cunt.

in all honesty, everytime you insult me it makes me feel better about myself. God knows I wouldn't want to be endorsed by an asshead such as you.

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
i would have liked to hear some backup vocals from a woman.

Lets be honest, you pretty much did.

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:17 PM
in all honesty, everytime you insult me it makes me feel better about myself. God knows I wouldn't want to be endorsed by an asshead such as you.

I actually have no beef with you. All my anger towards you recently was to see just how easy it is to go from being friendly with you to being negative toward you. I mean, for all your talk about being "down" with netphorias negativity, the minute they mess with you, you get all touchy, and then you start being a little bitch about it. Its pretty fucking pathetic.

*Awaits your followup post that you just HAVE to fucking make to prove to EVERYONE that you're not like that*

You Said
01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHRRhUKaWes&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHRRhUKaWes&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sarcastic Smile
01-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Lets be honest, you pretty much did.
:rofl:

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Oh a new person.

A/S/L?

skipgo
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
the only time i got "touchy" was when nimrod started that shit about me being racist, which is an issue that's been a big deal with me for most of my life. If anyone who knew me in real life saw that someone was trying to call me racist, they'd think it was the funniest fucking thing ever, since it's so far from the truth. So yeah, I got upset about that stupid shit. And even then, I realized that he was only doing it to get to me, and not because he really believed what he was saying. Otherwise, I don't really care about what anyone says here, yourself included. I mean, why would it bother me that you would sit there typing out insults to me? No one here takes you seriously aside from yourself, and besides that, I'm hardly the only person at whom you direct your vitriol. If you really think you hurt my feelings, you're giving yourself far too much credit.

awaiting YOUR obvious follow up post that spews more hate in my direction.

davin
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
so is there going to be a standalone version, or do I have to buy these separate? I thought it might be cool if I could pretend it wasn't related to zeitgeist.

physical stand-alone cd later in the month.

and it should be on itunes stand-alone too, no? i heard the Z deluxe version came out first, not sure about the former.

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
^ As expected.

Ugh, not davins post. Damn him!

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
physical stand-alone cd later in the month.

and it should be on itunes stand-alone too, no? i heard the Z deluxe version came out first, not sure about the former.

How much is this ep going to cost anyway davster?

skipgo
01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
you should get a new schtick esty.

Cherub Angel
01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
the annoying thing is that half way through "Rose March" the backing vocals work. They're not too high in the mix and they actually add a good dimension to the song. The beginning of the song is what ruins it for me and what pisses me off about it.

i like the other three.

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
It is the new year. I'll stop being a big meanie, and you can stop being a racist bitch.

davin
01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
^ As expected.

Ugh, not davins post. Damn him!

just change it to:
^
^

ps, it happened again.

davin
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
How much is this ep going to cost anyway davster?

not sure. what do EP's usually cost? $7-$8?

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Eh, the moments past.

Oh you answered!

Hmmm, zeitgiest was how much? I didn't buy the piece of shit, so I wouldn't know.

davin
01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
:smoke:

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I edited my post buddy.

rolmos
01-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Poor attention whore. Not even original anymore. *yawn*

davin
01-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Eh, the moments past.

Oh you answered!

Hmmm, zeitgiest was how much? I didn't buy the piece of shit, so I wouldn't know.

Zeitgeist was $12 for most editions, $15 for the special edition w/booklet, $11 for the silver version with the dvd (then it went up to $14).

skipgo
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Trust me the it's all Billy. Billy is not having his road crew save microphones for Warner. And again look at how Trent handled his record company trying to force him to do this stuff. Billy is happily rolling in the dough. Not to mention how would anyone but him all suddenly allow his music to be licensed, what for 20 ears he had control of everything and then all of a sudden he has no control. I'm not saying all this bad, but I am saying Billy is the one behind it.

I think Billy is probably responsible for the licensing stuff, but as for the things the band sells, you just really don't know any more about it than i do. (you know i love ya rider, we might have to agree to disagree here).
as for the tour equipment, I have serious doubts that any of that stuff was ever even used. the drumsticks aren't the kind jimmy uses, those heads look brand new... I think that whole tour equipment stuff is BS anyway.

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
So we're going to end up paying $8 bucks for 4 songs when we paid $12 for 10+ not too long ago.

He should have just done the whole "bside collection" like they used to do. Save everyone some bucks.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 12:48 PM
It is the new year. I'll stop being a big meanie, and you can stop being a racist bitch.

oh the irony.

davin
01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
So we're going to end up paying $8 bucks for 4 songs when we paid $12 for 10+ not too long ago.

He should have just done the whole "bside collection" like they used to do. Save everyone some bucks.

dude, i dunno if it will be $8. I was just guessing based on what most IMPORT maxi-singles or EP's cost. Since, afterall, the physical cd sounds like it will only be available outside the US. Maybe it will be cheaper...i think its only like $5 or something on itunes, right?

look at it this way, maybe it was Z that was a good deal. ;)

Liandrin
01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
If you don't like the la-da-da-da stuff at the beginning of Rose March, just cut out the first 33 seconds. A lot of music players will allow you to specify a start time. It will be like the de-Jar Jar'd version of Star Wars.

Also, for those who want to share/hear American Gothic, maybe someone can upload it to Imeem.com. I'm pretty sure Warner has licensed their catalog to Imeem, so you should be able to upload Reprise music. It's ad-supported, streaming music site with a very awkward interface, but it's free.

You Said
01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j9djUw3SB90&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j9djUw3SB90&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Unless you factor in that some fools paid over $40 bucks for a total of 14 songs or so.

Some deal. I hope if I'm ever a fan of bills again he doesn't do me a favor like that.

Rider
01-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I think Billy is probably responsible for the licensing stuff, but as for the things the band sells, you just really don't know any more about it than i do. (you know i love ya rider, we might have to agree to disagree here).
as for the tour equipment, I have serious doubts that any of that stuff was ever even used. the drumsticks aren't the kind jimmy uses, those heads look brand new... I think that whole tour equipment stuff is BS anyway.

I agree with you there I doubt any of it was used.

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Bill probably shoved those drumsticks up his ass. He's not a young pup anymore, he needs help reaching those high notes now.

Liandrin
01-02-2008, 12:56 PM

It could be unused spare equipment that was "on tour" but never used.

Most of this stuff are probably not Billy's ideas, but they things that are being suggested to him and he is agreeing to. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone just wrote him a check in exchange for the rights to sell this stuff.

Esty
01-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I just don't get where skipgo is coming from. To simply say bill has no say so, at all, is just dumb. Sorry, but the man has some sort of hand in it. He has to. He just doesn't seem the type to let others make his decisions on ANYTHING.

Sarcastic Smile
01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Oh a new person.

A/S/L?

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=153404&page=34

the last 2 or 3 posts..then the next page..

Rider
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Even if he has no say he can be vocal about having no say. He's not the type that would stay quiet about that type of thing.

Esty
01-02-2008, 01:04 PM
The only thing he was vocal about was people not buying his albums.

Esty
01-02-2008, 01:06 PM
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=153404&page=34

the last 2 or 3 posts..then the next page..

So far so good. Lets see some frontal shots.

Boobs would get you bonus points.

skipgo
01-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I just don't get where skipgo is coming from. To simply say bill has no say so, at all, is just dumb. Sorry, but the man has some sort of hand in it. He has to. He just doesn't seem the type to let others make his decisions on ANYTHING.

ok i do agree that bill doesn't seem the type to let others make his decisions. But in a case where the label knows that the general public doesn't give a shit about smashing pumpkins, there's a good chance the label didn't give him the option of making all the decisions. That kind of privilege is afforded to people who actually bring in lots of money, and bill just isn't one of those artists anymore. In 1996, I'm sure he made all the big decisions. In 2007/2008, I'm not so sure.

And I'm not saying that he DOESN'T make these decisions. I'm saying that no one on netphoria knows the extent of his involvement. You can get on your high horse and act like you know all you want, that won't change the fact that you don't.

Sarcastic Smile
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
So far so good. Lets see some frontal shots.

Boobs would get you bonus points.

I don't have any

skipgo
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
i do however, think bill's probably an asshole in many instances. I think he bosses people around and acts like a dick, i think his priorities in life are all outta whack, and i think american gothic sucks ass. Just so you know that i'm not trying to kiss his ass in this discussion.

Esty
01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, duh. I don't have concrete proof, but I know the man. Lets say that out of all the money hungry bullshit he pulled this year, that he is responsible for half of them, thats still too much.

This whole reunion has seemed more about trying to get a better paycheck than it is about his "dreams".

Esty
01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't have any

Well, go get some.

You Said
01-02-2008, 01:14 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c_ttBFSOK2g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c_ttBFSOK2g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>