View Full Version : billy stops 'obscured' b/c of darcy

obscured1
12-31-2007, 02:19 AM
never knew of them playing this live, and in the one clip of it on youtube the song gets stopped short b/c darcy keeps fuckin' it up, haha...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CURoJ26gHpI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CURoJ26gHpI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

anyways, i can tell i wasn't liking this version anyways, the studio version is a personal favorite though...

anyone got any decent live recordings of them playing it by chance?...

You Said
12-31-2007, 02:52 AM
um this is a song um.

ciGarski
12-31-2007, 03:11 AM
"i can't go on pretending you're not fucking this up." - William P. Corgan

T&T
12-31-2007, 03:50 AM
this is my ABSOLUTE favorite SP stuff

post gish record store acoustic..... perfectly intimate

smashapumpkin
12-31-2007, 06:25 AM

ominous

<sp3
12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
thats clip is awesome

bja1288
12-31-2007, 11:52 AM
i pointed this out about a month ago, but it fell upon deaf ears. :cry:

skipgo
12-31-2007, 12:00 PM
hey bja, did you read that thread where i said i thought of you when i saw a movie about ruby bridges at the store? yep.

bja1288
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
nope i didnt see it. but that makes me feel better.

Iamone6942
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Billy is so stoned there.

Rickpat12
12-31-2007, 12:22 PM

No wonder the Siamese Dream recording sessions were a walk in the park.

totally agree. I wish they'd do alittle acoustic promo for American Gothic in a few record stores.

Olivier
12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
change the title to

darcy obscures obscurred

TicalFSU
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
anyone got any decent live recordings of them playing it by chance?...

http://www.rspaa.org/rspaa/Live/1991-09-xx%20hotel%20room,%20London,%20UK/

Shapan
12-31-2007, 02:25 PM
i miss darcy

god this band fucking sucks now

Twineball
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
"I can't go on pretending you're not fucking this up."

OUCH.
HILARIOUS.
PROPHETIC.

T&T
12-31-2007, 05:02 PM
http://www.rspaa.org/rspaa/Live/1991-09-xx%20hotel%20room,%20London,%20UK/

sounds like the "open strings" are out of tune during the verse
is billy fucking up the song?

Twineball
12-31-2007, 05:31 PM
We can't go on pretending he's not.

ciGarski
12-31-2007, 06:13 PM
i miss darcy

god this band fucking sucks now

but for some reason, we all can't stop talking about it.

monkeyfritters
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
We can't go on pretending he's not.

+

stumpycat
01-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing myself, about Billy's chords not sounding quite right or something. When I first watched this clip some months ago, it always appeared to me that the whole band was in fact fucking up the song, and that Billy's comments were not even aimed at anyone in particular. Plus, um, yeah...Billy sounds a bit stoned.

wangcomputers
01-01-2008, 04:48 AM
thanks for posting the clip, it's pretty cool. I didn't think it sounded bad, not bad enough to stop playing, but then, you could tell that d'arcy was struggling with it. Billy characteristically didn't handle it very well though, which led to an awkward moment at the end.

darcyismybass
01-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Billy sounded pretty fucking out of it in that video...poor D'arcy must have been scared as shit playing with someone that fucking nitpicky.

srt4b
01-01-2008, 05:42 AM
Billy sounded pretty fucking out of it in that video...poor D'arcy must have been scared as shit playing with someone that fucking nitpicky.

I heard the crack/meth/x/h/L helped with that.

hcueva
01-01-2008, 06:26 AM
I loved the performance. And D'arcy is an idiot for wanting to start the song over, you never do that when performing live.

Shapan
01-01-2008, 04:00 PM
but for some reason, we all can't stop talking about it.

the majority of this board are a bunch of idiots patting each other on the back for their redundant generic praise for a band that have lost their step a long time ago, ive hardly spoken about the pumpkins seriously since the release of zeitgeist

i got two zeitgeist shirts from friends over christmas because of how i was a month before zeitgeist came out. im going to return them both, and why would i wear one of those shirts over the zero shirt? this band was so brilliant, and now they're just another crappy mainstream band.

i still think billy can churn out something worthwhile, if he will or not is up to him.

ciGarski
01-01-2008, 04:03 PM
the last thing i regard this board as being guilty of is generic praise of the band.

Frankenstein
01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
this band was so brilliant, and now they're just another crappy mainstream band.

how is zeitgeist more mainstream than siamese dream?

Shapan
01-01-2008, 07:08 PM
its crappy in any regard, it was just clearly made for the radio and falls into a lot of crappy slick bands that are getting airplay. not to say there aren't plenty of good mainstream bands because there are, the songs feel more forced to appease the masses.

if you'd prefer, they're just another crappy band. siamese dream was much more natural and had much more feeling to it. and is simply just, much, much better.

the last thing i regard this board as being guilty of is generic praise of the band.

im not speaking of the regular members that frequent the gen board but the flock of people that have come during this zeitgeist phase trying to defend the holy pumpkin name in the face of netphoria's negative reputation rather than acknowledging that the band simply hasn't been great since adore.

Frankenstein
01-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't believe that zeitgeist is all that great but saying it's more mainstream that siamese dream or mellon collie is dumb. sure mellon collie had a lot of artsy stuff but how many singles were on that thing? even jellybelly, which was never a single, could have easily been

edit: mellon collie had six singles and siamese dream had four singles that all received massive amounts of radio airplay

that's pretty fucking mainstream

how many does zeitgeist have? two singles?

KManXC
01-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I miss the Smashing Pumpkins.

i_adore_adore
01-01-2008, 07:30 PM
im not speaking of the regular members that frequent the gen board but the flock of people that have come during this zeitgeist phase trying to defend the holy pumpkin name in the face of netphoria's negative reputation rather than acknowledging that the band simply hasn't been great since adore.

Please keep stating your opinions as if they're fact. I love it. You're so right, the Pumpkins SUCK now, they have no good songs anymore, I hate them. Especially Billy. If James and D'arcy came back, everything would be better.

Shapan
01-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't believe that zeitgeist is all that great but saying it's more mainstream that siamese dream or mellon collie is dumb. sure mellon collie had a lot of artsy stuff but how many singles were on that thing? even jellybelly, which was never a single, could have easily been

why are you comparing how mainstream it is compared to their other albums? i said they sound as shitty as any other generic crappy band that's getting massive radio play today, where as before their music stood above that stuff. singles have nothing to do with this, pay attention.

if you're as idiotic as you seem and need further clarification:

the band sucks now. they have joined many of their touted peers in mediocrity instead of being miles beyond them.

If James and D'arcy came back, everything would be better.

no, if billy remembered how to write songs everything would be better.

zeitgeist is repulsively mediocre compared to the pumpkins previous work, you're just in denial if you think it's up to par with anything sans machina. and if you don't think they've taken a huge step down since adore then you're just in that. im not looking for a couple of good tracks from the smashing pumpkins, im looking for good albums.

stripes
01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
james left the band

i_adore_adore
01-02-2008, 12:42 PM
zeitgeist is repulsively mediocre compared to the pumpkins previous work, you're just in denial if you think it's up to par with anything sans machina. and if you don't think they've taken a huge step down since adore then you're just in that. im not looking for a couple of good tracks from the smashing pumpkins, im looking for good albums.

Please keep stating your opinions as if they're fact.

Rockin' Cherub
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM

yeah. i call it the drown era.

Rockin' Cherub
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
in that case his opinions kinda are fact

Bobbin TB
01-02-2008, 03:54 PM
harsh. i feel kinda bad for d'arcy now. :(

i_adore_adore
01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
in that case his opinions kinda are fact

not in my opinion.

duovamp
01-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Opinions are either statements of fact or incorrect assumptions.

Ramdust
01-02-2008, 08:18 PM
I love Obscured. Thanks.

cabbage
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I wish they'd do alittle acoustic promo for American Gothic in a few record stores.

In which country would you want them to do that? In the USA we can't actually buy the CD in the store, only in digital copy protected shitty quality AAC files.