View Full Version : "Hummer" Theory

darthjul
12-22-2007, 09:48 AM
If you're reading this its fairly safe to assume that you are now, at some point have been, or are intending to become Pumpkins fan.

All the Pumpkins fans I've ever spoken with personally seem to have gone through a phase where "Hummer" was their favorite Pumpkins song. It may not be right now, but I think most of us experience a week or two where "Hummer" is the one. The drums to the intro still gives me chills.

Has anyone of you NOT had a "Hummer" phase? I'm sure the same can't be said for "Starz". Let the inevitable shoot downs begin but maybe I'm on to something here...

Cool As Ice Cream
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
fucking hell!

tcm
12-22-2007, 09:52 AM
shot down u stood withstood ur gayborehood

skipgo
12-22-2007, 11:10 AM
gayborehood?

dzhezus
12-22-2007, 11:11 AM
This was a BAD idea for a thread. What's the "theory"? That some people like the song you do? No way! Totally! Every song is somebody's favorite, big revelation. More often than not, they're the studio album tracks, although someone did do a top six in another thread choosing obscure and commonly-hated songs, and you should see the reaction he just got. Said thread: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=154655

BTW: most people around here HATE Starz. Don't even mention it. Just enjoy it to yourself like I do.

GlasgowKiss
12-22-2007, 11:23 AM
This was a BAD idea for a thread. What's the "theory"? That some people like the song you do? No way! Totally! Every song is somebody's favorite, big revelation. More often than not, they're the studio album tracks, although someone did do a top six in another thread choosing obscure and commonly-hated songs, and you should see the reaction he just got. Said thread: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=154655

BTW: most people around here HATE Starz. Don't even mention it. Just enjoy it to yourself like I do.
His theory was that everyone goes through a phase of hummer being their favourite song, and that if you havent yet, you will. And that starz is probably not everyones favourite song at some point because its shit.

Obviously its flawed because many fans disowned the pumpkins before their hummer phase because of billy corgan.

Gossamer
12-22-2007, 11:24 AM
I agree with this thread.

Hummer was my favorite song for a long time.
It's definitely in my top 5 now.

skipgo
12-22-2007, 11:24 AM
hey dzhezus leave darthjul alone.

and starz is fine to talk about.

MistaMista1
12-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I'll opt to take the guy seriously.

I have noticed this trend, that everybody seems to think Hummer is underrated and/or one of the best tracks on SD. I had always been kind of apathetic, I felt it was alright, but nothing spectacular, maybe a bit too long, and kind of a let down after the 1-2-3 punch of Cherub-Quiet-Today. When I started seeing so many people fapping to Hummer all the time, it began to bother me and I slowly came to hate the song just because everyone else was so into it.

I went a solid three months or so without listening to it once (thank you itunes playcounts), and then finally decided to give it another listen on one of my first nights back from school on thanksgiving break when I was under an influence I hadn't been under in a while and was impressed with the song's range and dynamics. So yeah, I've started to like it more, but no, I've never had a phase where it was even close to being considered one of my favorites.

skipgo
12-22-2007, 11:26 AM
hi glasgowkiss! you haven't said anything rude to me in a week; i miss you.

sweetanthony
12-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Call me crazy, but at this current moment I'm into Starz more than I am Hummer. I've been in love with Hummer for 14 years, but Zeitgeist is growing on me.

I can't get enough of the Starz' guitars and cymbal crashes. "Buh buhhhh Buh buhhhh, duhduh duh Duhhh"

"...is knowing, this fallacy." And Jimmy's sheer raping of his cymbals? C'mon- that is a truly, classic Pumpkins musical moment.

i_adore_adore
12-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I've liked Starz from the start, and it's still a favorite. But my Hummer story is basically identical to MistaMista's.

tcm
12-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Hummer's always been in my top 50, sometimes my top 15, but never my top 5. u got it wrong, it's THAT simple!!

teh b0lly!!1
12-22-2007, 01:49 PM
am i seeing things, or did some guy just call starz a classic pumpkins moment?

teh b0lly!!1
12-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Hummer's always been in my top 50, sometimes my top 15, but never my top 5. u got it wrong, it's THAT simple!!

no man, you're wrong.
there's a theory, cant you see?
maybe hummer was in your top 5 for so long youve actually forgotten about it

caroline
12-22-2007, 03:12 PM
I like Hummer. The bassline really attracted me to the song.

mojo
12-22-2007, 06:02 PM
once i listened to the song properly my hummer phase never ended. those tender, fragile last 2 minutes are like some hidden musical rockpool - it took me ages to notice/appreciate them but they're among the most heartstoppingly beautiful "moments" in all of SP.

T&T
12-22-2007, 06:10 PM
for those that don't know
a Hummer (not the truck) is someone who isn't musically trained and write music by ear
Trained musicians are generally condescending to hummers, considering them fakes, frauds

the irony is that even trained musicians need to use the same skills that hummers use to write good music, their ears
a perfect melody does not exist, neither does a perfect arrangement
at the end of the day it just has to sound good.
and boy oh boy is this an awesomely written song, sounding so fucking good.

Twineball
12-22-2007, 06:13 PM
a Hummer (not the truck) is someone who isn't musically trained and write music by ear.

My wife's a good hummer.

Get it?

Frankenstein
12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
I didnt understand the pumpkins till Mellon Collie. so, nothing off Siamese has ever been my "favorite"

Twineball
Also, I did go through a phase in which "Hummer" was my favorite SP song. It's still definitely in my top ten. When I finally heard it played in October, I about lost my p00p.

T&T
My wife's a good hummer.

Get it?
that's a different kind of hummer.
not the kind you can rent either.

http://banners.adultfriendfinder.com/banners/ffadult/15870_468x60.jpg

http://banners.adultfriendfinder.com/banners/ffadult/15869_468x60.jpg

Twineball
12-22-2007, 06:15 PM
^
LOLZ

mrlvx
12-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Hummer for president !!
lolz

tcm
12-22-2007, 06:23 PM
a Hummer (not the truck) is someone who isn't musically trained and write music by ear
that's just your interpretation man

Trained musicians are generally condescending to hummers, considering them fakes, frauds
baloney, if someone has a natural gift for it, they would be envied by nearly all trained musicians

the irony is that even trained musicians need to use the same skills that hummers use to write good music, their ears
tell that to beethoven ha ha i'm kidding

a perfect melody does not exist, neither does a perfect arrangement
at the end of the day it just has to sound good.
well i don't think it has to sound good

and boy oh boy is this an awesomely written song, sounding so fucking good.
yea

spidersoma
12-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I've never considered Hummer to be in even my top 50. It's one of my least favorite tracks on SD.

T&T
12-22-2007, 06:31 PM
that's just your interpretation manfor sure (and in this situation billy is the hummer)
but i don't think he was singing about the truck

baloney, if someone has a natural gift for it, they would be envied by nearly all trained musiciansyou give people too much credit :p
people with degrees are generally snobby to "uncertified" posers

quite a few songs are my "absolute favorite" as i'm listening to them
only to change as another comes along
i'm fickle?

tcm
12-22-2007, 07:23 PM
you give people too much credit :p
people with degrees are generally snobby to "uncertified" posers
i'm not giving anybody credit okay, people are gaga for the outsider artists and the prodigies and the savants. if you ask me, innate talent is a little overrated these days. going against our nature is what separates men from the beasts.

T&T
12-22-2007, 07:26 PM
not when they are in a head to head competition for the same attention.

Twineball
12-22-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm a trained musician and I play in a band with a singer/guitarist/songwriter who is entirely self taught. In fact, everyone in the band is trained except him. We sometimes speak in technical terms and he has no idea. But he's the absolute best songwriter I've ever worked with.

darthjul
12-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Additionally. I think Starz is a great, hard rockin song with some really interesting musical ideas. We forgive Gish era songs with "bullshit" lyrics (unchain, unchain?) that were only there so they could kick out a certain riff. Why don't we accept it of Zeitgeist era songs?

Rickpat12
12-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Ahh good old Hummer. I saw the Pumpkins twice last tour and hearing that drum intro I found myself saying out loud BOTH times, "HOLY SHIT". I've always been amazed by this song.

Twineball
12-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Additionally. I think Starz is a great, hard rockin song with some really interesting musical ideas. We forgive Gish era songs with "bullshit" lyrics (unchain, unchain?) that were only there so they could kick out a certain riff. Why don't we accept it of Zeitgeist era songs?

I also enjoy Starz.

JRiordan
12-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Is not true for me, though I do like it a lot.

stumpycat
12-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Because...you can afford to not give a fuck about lyrics when the music itself is that raw, bombastic, and kick-ass. Many, many, people (including me) would argue that the Zeitgeist songs don't quite achieve this musical standard.

And no, Hummer has never been amongst my favorite songs. But it strikes me that although some people might rate it as kind of "bleh", no one would actually rate it as shitty, either. The intro (everthing before the vocals kick in) and outtro are the best parts of the song for me.

zsp77
12-23-2007, 01:31 AM
I'm going through a Soma phase personally. Oh, yeah, and Death From Above.

tcm
12-23-2007, 01:45 AM
not when they are in a head to head competition for the same attention.
then they just frontin'.

yoshinobu's revenge
12-23-2007, 01:49 AM
nevar had a hummaphaze

The Night Mare
12-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Reading this thread was a dumb idea, since Hummer actually is my favorite song (has been at least in the top three for a few years now) and it pains me to see someone rank Quiet above it, let alone Starz.

Whether or not it's your favorite, it's hard to deny that it falls under the category of a "classic Pumpkins song," in the sense that it has all the elements of a classic Pumpkins song (you yourself might never call it "classic," but still).

I think something a lot of people overlook when considering Starz is that it's spelled with a z. Something else they forget is that that's retarded.

kingy
12-23-2007, 02:21 AM
No one ranked Starz above Hummer, they just said they were in a phase where they preferred Starz.

greedo
12-23-2007, 02:33 AM
No one ranked Starz above Hummer, they just said they were in a phase where they preferred Starz.

I rank Starz above Hummer. I love Starz (thought the zed is kind of lame), and I've never considered Hummer anything but a decent Pumpkins song.

reprise85
12-23-2007, 09:46 AM
MYTHBUSTED!

tcm
12-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Starz really iz a clazzic.

Mariner
12-23-2007, 03:12 PM
i can't get through the first 20 secondz of starz without thinking it's a joke

ow!

OW!

ow!

OW!

gives me the giggles, and also sums up everything wrong with billy's sense of vocal/melodic phrasing/rhythm on the album

also the faux old metallica lead guitar in spots really seals the deal

tcm
12-23-2007, 03:24 PM
great song, though.

themadcaplaughs
12-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Gotta agree 100%. Although I loved Cherub Rock, Quiet, and Today, it was Hummer that really made me understand why Siamese Dream is such a highly regarded album. Granted, it is never a track I seek out, but when I do hear it, I am always blown away.

When I saw the Pumpkins in November, Hummer got as much of a reaction as Today or Bullet with Butterfly Wings, which means people must find something good about it.

Twineball
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
I definitely seek it out. I love the instrumental section at the end.

TheDeuce
12-24-2007, 01:01 AM
(only read first post)

i've never liked hummer.

The Night Mare
12-24-2007, 01:59 AM
gives me the giggles, and also sums up everything wrong with billy's sense of vocal/melodic phrasing/rhythm on the album

I'm so glad someone else is mentioning that second part. That drives me insane, but no one else I know understands what I'm talking about.

And on that other note, I group the Starz chorus in the same category as the entirety of United States -- ludicrous and hard not to laugh at.

darcyismybass
12-24-2007, 05:44 AM
I'm so glad someone else is mentioning that second part. That drives me insane, but no one else I know understands what I'm talking about.

And on that other note, I group the Starz chorus in the same category as the entirety of United States -- ludicrous and hard not to laugh at.

I like how he incorporates "ow!" into that song...and that it was given its own vocal treatment is pretty hilarious.

Starz is a fucking joke...that riff could have been used to greater effect in some other, less embarrassing form.