View Full Version : Are the Smashing Pumpkins your current favorite band?

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 01:11 PM
They're not even in my top 5. They haven't been my favorite band since 2000.

skipgo
12-19-2007, 01:16 PM
they are. They weren't for a few years, but they are once again.

waltermcphilp
12-19-2007, 01:16 PM
aww, should have been public. i voted no.

Irridescent Fairysex
12-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Absolutely, it's been a great year.

JRiordan
12-19-2007, 01:19 PM
No matter what you crutches all dream up, Led Zep is still a 100 times better! Go Zep! Go Team! Rock on! Long Live the Mighty SP!

drowningspider
12-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Always and forever.

T&T
12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
i dunno what "favorite band" qualifications are

sure i love tons of new music in new different ways
but SP is the only band from the 90's that I still listen to to excite me like when i was 14 all over again.
and in 2007 I probably listened to them the most, new stuff, revisiting old stuff...

they don't have any of the qualities of other bands that I also love
but that's apples and oranges to me...

ok i'll say "favorite" yes
"be all and end all" not any more....

skipgo
12-19-2007, 01:22 PM
i think even if i lose interest in them again, they'll still be my favorite. The one I hold closest to my heart. I'm sure no other band will be for me what SP has been.

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 01:23 PM
"current favorite band"

T&T
12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
define favorite?
what are the factors?

I'd choose a GYBE show over SP in a blink of an eye (or merzbow which isn't on hiatus)
& I'd choose to have sex to many other bands instead of SP

Irridescent Fairysex
12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
I think it's your job to define your priorities in music.

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
define favorite?

Main Entry: 1fa·vor·ite
Pronunciation: \ˈfā-v(ə-)rət, ˈfā-vərt, chiefly dialect ˈfā-və-ˌrīt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian favorito, past participle of favorire to favor, from favore favor, from Latin favor
Date: 1583
1: one that is treated or regarded with special favor or liking; especially : a person who is specially loved, trusted, or provided with favors by someone of high rank or authority
2: a competitor judged most likely to win

:rolleyes:

Mariner
12-19-2007, 01:55 PM
current favorite? hell no.

pumpkins from '88 - '96 (and i guess in a few bright shining spots during '97-'00) have that special teenage permanent #1 spot for me, though. and when i actually bother to listen to it, most of their stuff from '91 - '96 blows about 90% of all other music out of the water imho.

also, The Stepford Pumpkins have earned themselves a special place of disappointment, betrayal, and disgust in my heart

tcm
12-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Main Entry: 1fa·vor·ite
Pronunciation: \ˈfā-v(ə-)rət, ˈfā-vərt, chiefly dialect ˈfā-və-ˌrīt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Italian favorito, past participle of favorire to favor, from favore favor, from Latin favor
Date: 1583
1: one that is treated or regarded with special favor or liking; especially : a person who is specially loved, trusted, or provided with favors by someone of high rank or authority
2: a competitor judged most likely to win

:rolleyes:
definitely not #2.

Eulogy
12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
yeah. i don't see myself liking another album as much as Adore or Siamese Dream anytime soon.

brillo998
12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
even shitty sp tracks are better than most other bands. id listen to heres to the atom bomb before about 95% of any other music.

redbull
12-19-2007, 02:46 PM
no, but they are up there.

<sp3
12-19-2007, 03:08 PM
yes, dont think there has ever been a time when they have not been

T&T
12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
can we have a "don't have a favorite" option?

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 03:26 PM
no

Spaceboy88
12-19-2007, 03:27 PM
To anyone that voted no:

If SP is not your favorite band, what other bands messageboard's do you spend your days posting on?

Pizza Club
12-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes they are, but the gap between #1 and #2 isn't as far apart as it was in the old days. That's not to say I love the mighty SP any less. I will probably always follow the band closely, but I'm not above calling out the bullshit.

redchandelier
12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
they're in my top 10

Gossamer
12-19-2007, 03:38 PM
They will always be my favorite band.

Even if the current version is not as great as it once was.

djm5101
12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
they used to be numero uno...now number two behind the dave matthews band. say what u will about dmb...they are incredible

wHATcOLOR
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM

same here

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:06 PM
i'll ask what spaceboy already asked... if sp isn't your favorite, what is?
You guys must really like netphoria for some weird reason. I really like the Shins, but they aren't my favorite band, so i wouldn't spend any time on their messageboard. What's the point, especially if they're not even in your top 5?

Mariner
12-19-2007, 04:07 PM
To anyone that voted no:

If SP is not your favorite band, what other bands messageboard's do you spend your days posting on?

none

my posting here has little to no connection to SP apart from the people who the band drew here

this place was a pretty great community for the first six or seven years, and dropping in on occasion is a decent way to stay in touch with a few of those people who do the same. hanging around more often is a mix of habit, enjoying interaction with the other holdovers from the good old days, hoping other cool people from long ago might swing by, and the curiosity of the slim chance that new people might be attracted here and have something worthwhile to contribute

redbull
12-19-2007, 04:09 PM
i'll ask what spaceboy already asked... if sp isn't your favorite, what is?
You guys must really like netphoria for some weird reason. I really like the Shins, but they aren't my favorite band, so i wouldn't spend any time on their messageboard. What's the point, especially if they're not even in your top 5?
Boredoms
Swans
Moldy Peaches

pale blue eyes
12-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Nope, not a current favorite. Not for a while, though I will probably continue to buy their albums and see them live for as long as they are around (in whatever incarnation) because of the fifteen year-old fan girl inside me whom I cannot seem to get rid of.

Gish08
12-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Do you want some kind of prize?

wHATcOLOR
12-19-2007, 04:12 PM
yeah i don't spend any time on any other bands' messageboards. i check out the two gallants message board for info, but that's just a few minutes a week. i stay here so that i don't miss the return of Dude The Bagman

Mariner
12-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Do you want some kind of prize?

you clearly do

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:13 PM
none

my posting here has little to no connection to SP apart from the people who the band drew here between '98 and '05 or so

you mean the ones who are the most cynical :)

i'm not bothered by the fact that people are here who don't care for sp (stepford pumpkins, is it?), I was just curious about the motivation.

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:13 PM
yeah i don't spend any time on any other bands' messageboards. i check out the two gallants message board for info, but that's just a few minutes a week. i stay here so that i don't miss the return of Dude The Bagman

dammit you changed it! i was going to make some witty quip about naked aeroplane!

wHATcOLOR
12-19-2007, 04:14 PM
there are the quick, and there are the dead

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
uh-oh.

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
To anyone that voted no:

none. Mariner already explained. doesnt' mean i have a vested interested in the band tho

Gish08
12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
you clearly do
No, not really...

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Nope, not a current favorite. Not for a while, though I will probably continue to buy their albums and see them live for as long as they are around (in whatever incarnation) because of the fifteen year-old fan girl inside me whom I cannot seem to get rid of.

i will say that they don't mean the same to me now as they did in 1994. And I haven't listened to Zeitgeist once since seeing them play (though i've listened to machina a surprising amount of times lately). But there isn't any other band that I follow so closely, so i think that qualifies as "my favorite band", even if I don't like them in the same intense way I did before. I keep waiting for them to blow my mind again like they did with SD, MCIS, and Adore...

Mariner
12-19-2007, 04:19 PM
there are the quick, and there are the dead

she got me, so i am clearly dead

not the capitalized kind

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:23 PM
i enjoy your posts mariner. i'm glad you're still here.

Mariner
12-19-2007, 04:24 PM
you mean the ones who are the most cynical :)

i'm not bothered by the fact that people are here who don't care for sp (stepford pumpkins, is it?), I was just curious about the motivation.

now that numbers have dwindled, it's more the grumpiness that comes with being an endangered species. and being a hardcore fan of the band in the past and then trying to stick with it over the last ten years or so is enough to make a lot of people pecifically cynical about billy and co. today.

there used to be a big population of netphorians who were cynical but also creative, funny, and had a few hours a day to spend that energy here. it was sort of a positive feedback loop that held back the less interesting riff-raff and had a field day with the more interesting riff-raff. lately it seems like the opposite is happening.

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
"grumpiness that comes with being an endangered species." wow my tier 1 ranking has really gone to your head.

Mariner
12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
tier what

and yeah maybe i meant something more like "irrelevant fogey generation whose numbers at netphoria are dwindling"

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
tier what

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=151341

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
now that numbers have dwindled, it's more the grumpiness that comes with being an endangered species. and being a hardcore fan of the band in the past and then trying to stick with it over the last ten years or so is enough to make a lot of people pecifically cynical about billy and co. today.

there used to be a big population of netphorians who were cynical but also creative, funny, and had a few hours a day to spend that energy here. it was sort of a positive feedback loop that held back the less interesting riff-raff and had a field day with the more interesting riff-raff. lately it seems like the opposite is happening.

i can see why you guys are cynical; I was cynical too for a long time, and I don't know what made me change my mind about it; it just sort of happened on its own. I don't think of billy as some sort of deity as I once did (very misguided of me to begin with), I just take the guy with a grain of salt now.
I can still see that there are some good older netphorians still around, I can understand why many of you are still here, based on your reply.

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
oh shit i put you in two. what a big oversight. well you deserve it now.

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:31 PM
fwiw (which isn't much, i understand) I'm relatively new to netphoria, but not to posting endlessly about this band online. I was on listessa as early as the summer of 95, and on amsp for many years after that. When netphoria came around, I was very disenchanted with this band and didn't even bother to check this place out until 2002 or so. Then I lurked for 3 years before joining, because i still wasn't happy enough with the band to post about them. Like I said, I don't know why this changed.

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
no one asked for your life story.

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
what's your life story, mayfuck?

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
This message is hidden because skipgo is on your ignore list.

Mayfuck
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
the animal collective board is full of the worst poeple.

the one saving grace of this subforum is that none of you are hipsters.

skipgo
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
you aren't ignoring me mayfuck, i'm your friend.

Mariner
12-19-2007, 04:45 PM
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=151341

nice

oh shit i put you in two. what a big oversight. well you deserve it now.

i think you made the right decision.

mojo
12-19-2007, 05:56 PM
my instant, sentimental reaction is yes...but this year I listened to led zep, radiohead and even fucking interpol more so I guess the truthful answer is no.

exactlythesame
12-19-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm probably more interested in the Deftons / Team Sleep right now.

AnnMarie727
12-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Always and forever.
me too :D

CrabbMan
12-20-2007, 02:44 AM
They're like an old best friend, who is still a really great friend, when we actually hang out, but frankly we just can't find the time for each other so often these days.

When I heard about the EP, I was stoked, but not excited. I'd rather get my fucking discbox in the mail (17 days already?!?!). And I'd cream my pants if I heard a new Silversun Pickups record was coming out.

Still, netphoria is about the only messageboard I post at. And that's because, apparently, I love assholes.

wilch
12-20-2007, 09:13 AM
its ridiculous people can post thousands of messages on a smashing pumpkins messageboard and still claim they are not in their top five list.

Spaceboy88
12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
its ridiculous people can post thousands of messages on a smashing pumpkins messageboard and still claim they are not in their top five list.

^

Mayfuck
12-20-2007, 09:57 AM
no it isn't

mojo
12-20-2007, 10:28 AM

I guess it comes down to your interpretation of the word "current" - i.e. it doens't mean "are SP in your top five all time favourite bands?" (i'm guessing they are for most people here) but how much are you invested in/do you listen to/generally give a fuck about SP 2007 model.

mojo
12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
it's like joy division - i would put closer and unknown pleasures in my top 20 albums of all time yet I hardly ever play them because they're so dark and consuming and demanding and my life is fucking stressful and they're kind of IN me anyway...but i still love them far more than a record i might play ten times as often.

aurel
12-20-2007, 11:42 AM

How do you navigate life if this simple idea is a conundrum to you?

Rockin' Cherub
12-20-2007, 01:41 PM
they ceased to be my favourite band when i decided machina and tfe suck and the reunion will suck (and then it did suck) and i didn't replace them with any other band but about 5-10 bands that i think are really awesome and more interesting than them

sh sh shayne
12-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Def my fav band. Though i know their not the greatest band in the world *the beatles*

Zwan was really close to being over sp then they broke up.

Flame on

slunken
12-20-2007, 05:31 PM
N0 W4I DUD3Z SP43V4R D4RCY R1P

gbeaks33
12-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes, my favorite and all time favorite. Around the machina era they weren't, but that was only for a few years.

Rockin' Cherub
12-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Though i know their not the greatest band in the world *the beatles*

how would you pronounce this sentence in real life

Mayfuck
12-21-2007, 09:51 AM
hi alex

T&T
12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
the hipinion board is full of the worst poeple.
the one saving grace of this subforum is that none of you are hipsters.
i'm a hipster
and i came here first to be the king of the mountain
find your own patch of grass
go back to the gen board :p

Mariner
12-21-2007, 12:48 PM
i'm a hipster
and i came here first to be the king of the mountain
find your own patch of grass
go back to the gen board :p

i'm sure if julio were here he'd rest his case

june_soma
12-23-2007, 02:34 PM
"Always and forever", yeah me too. I have been able to shake alot from my teens, but not the love I have for this band. They were the soundtrack of my life when I grew up , many memories, good and bad, and in my experience it's hard (impossible?) to love band so intensly as you did as a teenager.

I guess it's more nostalgia than actual interest on my part. And that first show in Paris earlier this year was a bittersweet experience. Bitter because it will never be like it used to, and sweet cause Billy still rocks. But he's not the same person he was ten years ago, and neither am I. Still, I don't think I'll ever outgrow them. (And yeah, I know nobody asked for my life story either..)

Nate the Grate
12-23-2007, 02:53 PM
This

andrewface
12-23-2007, 04:33 PM

i have to give you credit for actually having a yes option in the poll

somaziro
12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
ya i guess they are my fav band, i didnt get obsessed with them until after they broke up actually, which is kinda weird... really liked them when SD came out, MCIS was pretty decent, then forgot about them for 5 or 6 years. after i saw th em in 2000 i started getting their back catalog, and thats when i became obsessed with them.

Twineball
12-23-2007, 05:42 PM
I've pretty much been renewedly obsessed since July.

kingy
12-23-2007, 06:24 PM
I've been listening to other bands a lot more lately but I don't think I'll ever love a band and know their catalogue so initmatley as SP ever again.

???
12-23-2007, 09:28 PM
i don't listen to sp religiously any more, in fact i don't listen to much music at all lately, but they will always be my favourite band, no question. other bands might be more historically important or unique in their own ways but in my view nobody will ever even come close to touching sp. their entire existence and legacy are simply charmed; i doubt there will ever be another band with that kind of magic.

reprise85
12-23-2007, 10:03 PM
i don't listen to sp religiously any more, in fact i don't listen to much music at all lately, but they will always be my favourite band, no question. other bands might be more historically important or unique in their own ways but in my view nobody will ever even come close to touching sp. their entire existence and legacy are simply charmed; i doubt there will ever be another band with that kind of magic.

well put, I agree

talk show host
12-23-2007, 10:41 PM
No. But they're still important to me because of what they used to mean.

I don't really think in terms of 'favourite bands' anymore, there are too many bands I consider significant to me to do that.

i_adore_adore
12-23-2007, 11:20 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins are pure perfection, and no other band has affected me like they have.

SP4Me
12-23-2007, 11:35 PM
SP has been my favorite for the past 13 years and always will be.

redbreegull
12-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Right now I would have to admit that I am not as interested in the Pumpkins as in some other bands, such as Radiohead, but that does not change the fact that they will be my favorite forever.

aztec litany service
12-24-2007, 04:02 AM
nah, prolly the beatles if i had to choose. but i don't really have a fav. cocteau twins, talking heads, sonic youth are some big ones for me..

i definitely don't see sp in the same light i did, say in 2000. i don't appreciate anything like i did 7 years ago.

if i'd had the money to spend on seeing them this year i would've. but i don't feel bad about missing them cause of the time i've spent listening to all their songs and how totally uninterested i am in ZG. i'd rather he brought back tfe or zwan (or you know, the real sp like the one on gish->mcis). giving up is an option too.

areyougaffney?
12-24-2007, 07:01 AM
damn right. There are 52 crows in field full of blood.

They are sooo good. What other band could perform a 30 minutes song tht I'm listening to for the 4th time today?

byebyejune
12-24-2007, 09:56 AM
by far. no other band will ever seem as nostalgic/meaningful to me. :blush:

T&T
12-24-2007, 10:01 AM
i'm sure if julio were here he'd rest his case
but he's not
off to the mountains for a broke back experience i hear...