View Full Version : video: well-spoken VA Tech victim costume wearer defends himself against CNN douche

TuralyonW3
12-14-2007, 03:37 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2007/12/13/sanchez.costume.outrage.cnn

redbreegull
12-14-2007, 03:45 AM
That CNN guy was a pretty big asshole. I'm glad for once someone is refusing to apologize for something, I'm so sick of this "roll over and apologize" media culture.

TuralyonW3
12-14-2007, 03:46 AM
I love toward the end when he goes "I'll love you like a brother!..."

BlissedandGone2
12-14-2007, 03:47 AM
takes some guts not to apologize on cnn after having to listen to that host.

wHATcOLOR
12-14-2007, 03:48 AM
that was annoying

redbreegull
12-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Out of curiosity, do you guys think it was ok for him to wear that costume? I argued with my father about this earlier this week. I don't see anything wrong with it really. Obviously it is offensive, but it was at a party with a small group of people supposedly. I don't understand how something like this is any different than making fun of people based on race or religion or something... when you do it in private with people who understand you are joking, there is no problem.

talk show host
12-14-2007, 04:03 AM
The last call the student makes seems like a pretty strong one to me personally, about the people who distributed the pictures being at fault.

Also yeah, that thing about I'll love you like a brother was retarded and the student's response to that was also pretty strong.

D.
12-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Out of curiosity, do you guys think it was ok for him to wear that costume? I argued with my father about this earlier this week. I don't see anything wrong with it really. Obviously it is offensive, but it was at a party with a small group of people supposedly. I don't understand how something like this is any different than making fun of people based on race or religion or something... when you do it in private with people who understand you are joking, there is no problem.

we already discussed this

it's ok to joke about it after an arbitrary amount of time, usually decided by mayfuck and/or bardy

BlissedandGone2
12-14-2007, 04:08 AM

the key to it is knowing your audience. i hear jokes that offend me personally quite often, but if i mentioned the fact that im offended the people would probably have a problem with that, so i ususally just think to myself how stupid they are for not knowing their audience. i think it was a pretty dumb costume in bad taste and it was also dumb of the kids not to expect it to cause some trouble, especially if its goin on facebook. i also, however, think the host of that interview was being a jackass. i try to be pretty politically correct and i rarely find race/religion jokes funny, so maybe im a little too uptight. i dunno .

MistaMista1
12-14-2007, 04:09 AM
cnn's embarrassing itself employing that guy

TuralyonW3
12-14-2007, 04:16 AM

this is the network that brings you Nancy Grace

tcm
12-14-2007, 04:32 AM
this is the network that brings you Nancy Grace
</jamesearljones>

Richard McBeef
12-14-2007, 04:42 AM
i blow him up with bomb or shoot in face with wear the costumes!

Trotskilicious
12-14-2007, 06:29 AM
i saw this when it was on, my roommate and i were really getting annoyed how the guy kept going "BECAUSE IT'S OFFENSIVE!"

i probably would have said, "Look, who cares if someone was offended, they'll get over it. It's not like I dropped my pants and literally took a shit on the memorial which is what I kind of want to do right now just to spite you."

Trotskilicious
12-14-2007, 06:31 AM
That CNN guy was a pretty big asshole. I'm glad for once someone is refusing to apologize for something, I'm so sick of this "roll over and apologize" media culture.

ESPN is terrible about this, too. The Phil Jackson Brokeback Mountain joke, which has gotten bawdy laughs from <i>everyone</I> i've repeated it to, and then there was Arthur Blank saying something about Mike Vick not eating too much fried chicken and fries in prison. I liked the response to that, too. The statement was basically, "This is a bunch of bullshit, fuck off ESPN."

Not as great as the Phil Jackson smartassy apology, though.

Eulogy
12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
"i'm not talking about their personal daughter's death." wtf? this guy didn't do nearly as good of a job as you guys made it seem. jesus christ. you're just defending his right to be distasteful...but uh. i don't really see it as being all that effective here.

both of these guys seem like douchebags. "compromise my integrity?" bullshit. this isn't a phil jackson brokeback mountain joke either, trots. if you want to tell VT jokes among friends, whatever. and i guess you could say that this is no different. but eh. i probably would have told the guy he was a douchebag if i saw him in the costume. being distasteful is such a cheap way to get laughs. lame.

dean_r_koontz
12-14-2007, 11:35 AM
can anyone PLEASE give me a way of watching this video without moving to america. or is it just my computer?

rolmos
12-14-2007, 11:56 AM
I can watch it just fine from Spain. I DID have to deactivate Adblock.

ravenguy2000
12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
"compromise my integrity?" bullshit.

I think he's kinda over playing his hand here but it is a good point - basically he got paraded out on CNN to say he was sorry, and he wasn't going to stand for being bullied into it. If he were to say sorry to anybody he should do it privately and respectfully to anyone who really really really felt personally hurt by him wearing a dumb costume but I doubt those people even really exist.

dean_r_koontz
12-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I can watch it just fine from Spain. I DID have to deactivate Adblock.

ok i'll try that. thanks

dean_r_koontz
12-14-2007, 12:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN7WPYKR2ls

dean_r_koontz
12-14-2007, 12:11 PM
akon gets hit in the head with a bit of plastic on stage. then something very surprising happens. highly recommended dogs

Cool As Ice Cream
12-14-2007, 01:06 PM
jesus fucking christ that cnn guy was fucking obnoxious in so many ways. FUCK!

mxzombie
12-14-2007, 01:33 PM
that anchor used to be an anchor for the local fox affiliate in south florida

Ghetto_Squirrel
12-14-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm only disappointed he didn't call out CNN directly for trying to manufacture the offense.

Quiet CD
12-14-2007, 02:44 PM
He should have thrown out the blame on whomever took the photo, and for Facebook for spreading it to the whole world.

threetwooneZERO
12-14-2007, 02:46 PM
I watched that video this morning and throughout the whole interview I was so disgusted and annoyed with that anchor. I instantly looked for a way to send a comment about how annoying of a person he is....then after I realized they probably get them all the time I stopped.

dean_r_koontz
12-14-2007, 02:46 PM
is there a name of the reporter or the guy who's interviewed that i could search for on youtube?

threetwooneZERO
12-14-2007, 02:48 PM
CNN Out In The Open with Dan Savage

mxzombie
12-14-2007, 03:24 PM
is there a name of the reporter or the guy who's interviewed that i could search for on youtube?the anchor's name is rick sanchez

dean_r_koontz
12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
can't find anything that isn't connected to the website. what a shame, i love stuff like this.

tcm
12-14-2007, 03:57 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vq0EY_F_btk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vq0EY_F_btk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>, ok

dean_r_koontz
12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
nathan boy let me help you out

TuralyonW3
12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
"i'm not talking about their personal daughter's death." wtf? this guy didn't do nearly as good of a job as you guys made it seem. jesus christ. you're just defending his right to be distasteful...but uh. i don't really see it as being all that effective here.

both of these guys seem like douchebags. "compromise my integrity?" bullshit. this isn't a phil jackson brokeback mountain joke either, trots. if you want to tell VT jokes among friends, whatever. and i guess you could say that this is no different. but eh. i probably would have told the guy he was a douchebag if i saw him in the costume. being distasteful is such a cheap way to get laughs. lame.

did you watch the whole vid? sounds like you're juding the guy personally instead of comprehending his right to do this in a small group with no intention of the pic getting out. Maybe eulogy doesn't think being distasteful is funny, but if he's not purposefully parading it all over the internet, who fucking cares. He makes it clear that he didn't intend for it to be seen widely.

BlissedandGone2
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
personally, after watching that video a couple times, i dont like either of those people. if a friend of mine dressed like that for halloween id call them an idiot, but if some douche bag like that news guy came up and used those shitty arguements id kick his ass. the news exploits death and disaster by faking sympathy every night and it certainly isnt helping by making these situations like with the costume even more public than before. everyones stupid here.

Fathoms (unadored)
12-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Without clicking on the link I read this and immediately thought of Rick Sanchez!

Mariner
12-14-2007, 08:05 PM
wow that dude is a blustery umbrage-fueled sack of latent fascism

suncrashesdown
12-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I feel bad, because it's the kid's right to wear the costume. Nobody has to apologize for doing something legal, even if its in poor taste. Too bad he couldn't defend himself better. Didn't really come off as 'well spoken' to me

Cool As Ice Cream
12-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Too bad he couldn't defend himself better. Didn't really come off as 'well spoken' to me
well duh, the other guy kept interrupting him.

duovamp
12-15-2007, 10:46 AM
He really wasn't a well-spoken individual tbh.

Eulogy
12-15-2007, 10:51 AM
did you watch the whole vid? sounds like you're juding the guy personally instead of comprehending his right to do this in a small group with no intention of the pic getting out. Maybe eulogy doesn't think being distasteful is funny, but if he's not purposefully parading it all over the internet, who fucking cares. He makes it clear that he didn't intend for it to be seen widely.

well he is a total turd. i don't know what the hell made you think he's well-spoken.

and sure, he has the right to be a total d-bag in an attempt to get cheap laughs. and i have the right to call him an idiot and say it was a stupid thing to do. but the CNN guy is a douche too. everyone sucks.

Nate the Grate
12-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm more offended by how unfunny the costumes are.

Mariner
12-15-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm offended it took one of us so long to say that.

Everyone apologize to me NOW

ameyer
12-16-2007, 12:15 AM
CNN's almost worse than Fox News, in my opinion, and that's saying something.
Unfortunately, Comedy Central does a better job of reporting the news than the mainstream news media.

wally
12-16-2007, 12:23 AM
I would love to be the girl in the orange shirt's dad. Attagirl!

Travis Meeks
12-16-2007, 01:49 AM
maybe you are with your superhuman fertile sperm