View Full Version : Am I the only one who's disappointed with DVD content?

RopeyLopey
02-20-2003, 03:04 AM
I took some time since the release, but my opinion is still not changing...I mean during the question clips half of the band looks like they aren't able to put together one sentence with some content ( don't get me wrong -I know if I'd get the same questions my answers wouldn't probably look much different ( you can try it as well), but at least I'd never put it on DVD that the other people would PAY for my performance)- or was it meant to show that they are just like me? I don't know. The same thing is with those clips of them riding bikes...I really felt enriched after watching it. Why they couldn't put on some Hideout performance (I mean not just couple of songs) or any other live performance of the songs in full length ie of those you can find on the CD?
I don't say it's all shit - I really like MSOTS with him on guitar or New Poetry, but as a whole...

Still, I am looking forward to the Djali DVD. Please B0lly, don't disappoint me this time..

VegasPumpkin
02-20-2003, 03:12 AM
Its just a DVD that came with a CD, its not an actual release. For what it was, it was great.

hereisnowhy
02-20-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by VegasPumpkin
Its just a DVD that came with a CD, its not an actual release. For what it was, it was great.

I have to agree with this. I really liked the DVD (though getting clips of songs is a somewhat frustrating tease). But no complaints.

palidor
02-20-2003, 06:08 AM
i enjoyed the dvd a lot for what it was, but again.. frustrating as hell to just have short clips of all this stuff that i want full versions of... like studio love lies in ruin for example.

frenchy
02-20-2003, 09:46 AM
yes you are

unperson81
02-20-2003, 09:49 AM
It could have had just a bunch of crap on it like the making of their video and other promo stuff. Instead we got a behind the scenes look at everybody, teasers of songs that aren't on the album and other interesting tidbits so I can't really say I'm disappointed.

Cretin Soup
02-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Danger Boy

jczeroman
02-20-2003, 12:22 PM
IF i had the choice with the knowledge i now have, i would have just bough the regular CD and like 10 tacos.

wounded
02-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by unperson81
It could have had just a bunch of crap on it like the making of their video and other promo stuff. Instead we got a behind the scenes look at everybody, teasers of songs that aren't on the album and other interesting tidbits so I can't really say I'm disappointed.

exactly.

have you seen the foo fighters one, it sucks.

actually right now on ign dvd they are reviewing bonus dvd discs and zwan is one of them, but you need an insider password

jczeroman
02-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by wounded

That was SUCH a dissapointment. There was like 4 videos and some other useless trash. I expected a lot more from a genious live dave grohl.

mytransgressions
02-20-2003, 02:59 PM
the bonus DVD was more then i ever expected.

It was so well put together... great selection of live songs and STUDIO songs! .. great visuals... and the interviews are funny

compare that with most bonus dvd's... like the white stripes bonus dvd is just 4 videos and two songs that were already available. I'm not saying thats a bad thing... its a bonus DVD.. you're not supposed to expect greatness.

But the ZWAN DVD is incredible with the amount of unreleased LEET footage it had.

unperson81
02-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by wounded

I was pretty disappointed with the DVD also and the album a bit too. Warmed up to it a bit but The Colour and the Shape will probably always be my favorite.

jczeroman
02-20-2003, 04:08 PM

The Colour and the Shape will probably always be my favorite.

Mine too.. man it was some good stuff. Every song was a winner

unperson81
02-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by jczeroman

Mine too.. man it was some good stuff. Every song was a winner

I bought their first one and thought it was pretty good, then heard Monkey Wrench and thought might as well by this one. I remember I was surprised at how good the whole thing was. Not a bad song on there and I don't think I'll ever get sick of "Hey, Johhny Park!"

wounded
02-20-2003, 04:43 PM
yeah, i don't find myself coming back to one by one too often.

Toby
02-20-2003, 04:51 PM
I enjoyed it, it was a nice little added feature that came with the purchase of the album.

in stereo
02-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Toby
I enjoyed it, it was a nice little added feature that came with the purchase of the album.

exactly. it's a BONUS. just be happy you got it at all

jczeroman
02-20-2003, 05:15 PM
I don't think I'll ever get sick of "Hey, Johhny Park!"

No joke, as soon as the drum intro came in, i knew that was a great song.

unperson81
02-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by jczeroman

No joke, as soon as the drum intro came in, i knew that was a great song.

It got my attention, that's for sure. I saw them at a radio festival thing a couple years ago and they played a great version of it for their encore. :)

SmileOfTheShadow
02-20-2003, 10:32 PM
I would have preferred one full song as opposed to 18 clips. Just me though.

MachinaMan
02-21-2003, 05:02 AM
reading this thread was like sitting in the 6th grade lunch room. from one ear i can hear the discussion on the zwan dvd, then i get this little foo fighter talk in the other then i don't know what's going on and soon enough i fall out of my chair and wake up and decide that none of it really matters.

Affect
02-21-2003, 01:04 PM
The DVD is absolute shit. I can't believe I wasted 4$ extra for it.

That dirty spic Paz at the end made me want to kill someone. Fucking skank dirt piece of shit.

jczeroman
02-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by MachinaMan
...then i don't know what's going on and soon enough i fall out of my chair and wake up and decide that none of it really matters.

Sounds like you had some kind of severe learning disability.

wrezxxz
02-22-2003, 11:31 AM
I totally agree with ropeylopey..whatever..

The dvd as a whole is a waste of time. Sure their happy and glad to be playing, but for fuck sake..do you ever speak...properly?
Why can't they just answer the questions asked. It actually made me quite angry and very disappointed. They were trying to be smart and funny...but by doing this, they were just immature and crap. Yes..that's right..they were barely able to put a sentence together. Very intelligent!!

All in all...the DVD wasa waste of money...but the album rocks..I fucking love JESUS I,/MARY STAR OF THE SEA. They pulled the 14 minutes very well. I'm impressed.

severin
02-22-2003, 01:04 PM
i like it...sure, it would have been cool to get one or 2 full tracks out of it, but i don't think that's what it was supposed to be. i think it was suposed to be a tease, and to show some of what the band has done apart from the album. take all those who bought the album before hearing any of the boots. they don't even know of spilled milk or love lies in ruin..and as a tease and an exteneded homemovieit is great

np: love lies in ruin (live 2003-02-17)

King of the Horseflies
02-22-2003, 01:32 PM
i watched the DVD twice. once with my gf, the other with my brother. i haven't watched it since then. it was cool, but not cool enough to keep watching. the DVD was a little crap thrown together with a few added gems in order to discourage people from downloading the album--but not for long.

i was hoping for something more like the QOTSA DVD i got with songs for the deaf. it has something like 4 or 5 live songs on it with the random clips of them screwing around after the songs.

QOTSA bonus DVD > ZWAN bonus DVD

leopheard
02-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Exactly, as someone said, it's aimed perhaps to show their diversity (of which is sounding pretty damn good), and My Life and Times makes it very much worthwhile in my opinion.

Reyngel
02-22-2003, 04:13 PM
The DVD was like $4 more than the standard release, and the typical DVD movie costs like, $16. So, the Zwan DVD was supposed to be 25% of a regular DVD movie. And it wasn't. I say the DVD is worth like, $2 at most. It wasn't produced very professionally, it was very short, and the only person who had anything remotely intelligent to say was Billy, and his commentary was pretty weak. Sure, Matt was a little funny. And it was cool to see Billy play MSOTS in the studio, but that's not enough for a whole DVD in my opinion. They should have just put that shit on their website. Oh wait... they did. :rolleyes: I had already watched more than half of that damn DVD on the Zwan website, thinking those little clips were just that: clips. Then I popped in the DVD and found out they were whole chapters on the DVD. $4? Nope. Free on the Zwan site? Sure.

Like was already said, it's obvious that the DVD was only made to put up a small fight against people downloading the album.

mytransgressions
02-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Reyngel
. They should have just put that shit on their website. Oh wait... they did. :rolleyes: I had already watched more than half of that damn DVD on the Zwan website, thinking those little clips were just that: clips. Then I popped in the DVD and found out they were whole chapters on the DVD. $4? Nope. Free on the Zwan site? Sure.

the only thing that was on the website, that is on the DVD, i thought was Danger Boy.. Where is the rest of the clips on the website? Oh wait, i'm sorry, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

RopeyLopey
02-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by mytransgressions

the only thing that was on the website, that is on the DVD, i thought was Danger Boy.. Where is the rest of the clips on the website? Oh wait, i'm sorry, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

well, half of the clips was maybe a little bit too much, but four of them you can find there (Zwan website) + Danger Boy as you've already said.

mytransgressions
02-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by RopeyLopey

well, half of the clips was maybe a little bit too much, but four of them you can find there (Zwan website) + Danger Boy as you've already said.

the other four home movies are NOT on the DVD.

The other four are:
When the Saints come marching...
Sweeney singing at the hideout
Pajo singing at the hideout
Another Instrumental song not found on the DVD

Yep, none of these are on the DVD.. Only Danger Boy which takes up about 3 minutes of the around 35 minutes of the DVD

RopeyLopey
02-22-2003, 04:37 PM

the other four home movies are NOT on the DVD.

The other four are:
When the Saints come marching...
Sweeney singing at the hideout
Pajo singing at the hideout
Another Instrumental song not found on the DVD

Yep, none of these are on the DVD.. Only Danger Boy which takes up about 3 minutes of the around 35 minutes of the DVD

maybe you should try to take a look into different section...

mytransgressions
02-22-2003, 04:51 PM
really?

i'll take your word for it

i apologize

RopeyLopey
02-22-2003, 05:04 PM
really?

i'll take your word for it

i apologize

It's in the Video section, not Behind the scenes+home movies.
Yeah, I also find it a little bit messy around there..

uknowimnotdead
02-22-2003, 05:37 PM
well, yeah...it was a bonus dvd. it's not going to be some masterpiece. if it were sold completely separately [smashing pumpkins video collection] and sold at full price then, no, there would be no excuse. but it was only $4 more. i thought it was good, given the situation.

besides, i liked it anyway. no, i won't watch it every few days like my other music dvds, but it was fresh and funny.

David_Lee
02-23-2003, 01:14 PM
<3 the dvd