View Full Version : pilot who dropped the a-bomb dies

BlissedandGone2
11-01-2007, 04:51 PM
By JULIE CARR SMYTH, Associated Press Writer 31 minutes ago

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Paul Tibbets, who piloted the B-29 bomber Enola Gay that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, died Thursday. He was 92 and insisted for six decades after the war that he had no regrets about the mission and slept just fine at night.

Tibbets died at his Columbus home. He suffered from a variety of health problems and had been in decline for two months.

Tibbets had requested no funeral and no headstone, fearing it would provide his detractors with a place to protest, said Gerry Newhouse, a longtime friend.

Tibbets' historic mission in the plane named for his mother marked the beginning of the end of World War II and eliminated the need for what military planners feared would have been an extraordinarily bloody invasion of Japan. It was the first use of a nuclear weapon in wartime.

The plane and its crew of 14 dropped the five-ton "Little Boy" bomb on the morning of Aug. 6, 1945. The blast killed 70,000 to 100,000 people and injured countless others.

Three days later, the United States dropped a second nuclear bomb on Nagasaki, Japan, killing an estimated 40,000 people. Tibbets did not fly in that mission. The Japanese surrendered a few days later, ending the war.

"I knew when I got the assignment it was going to be an emotional thing," Tibbets told The Columbus Dispatch for a story published on the 60th anniversary of the bombing. "We had feelings, but we had to put them in the background. We knew it was going to kill people right and left. But my one driving interest was to do the best job I could so that we could end the killing as quickly as possible."

Morris Jeppson, the officer who armed the bomb during the Hiroshima flight, said Tibbets was energetic, well-respected and "hard-nosed."

"Ending the war saved a lot of U.S. armed forces and Japanese civilians and military," Jeppson said. "History has shown there was no need to criticize him."

Tibbets, then a 30-year-old colonel, never expressed regret over his role. He said it was his patriotic duty and the right thing to do.

"I'm not proud that I killed 80,000 people, but I'm proud that I was able to start with nothing, plan it and have it work as perfectly as it did," he said in a 1975 interview.

"You've got to take stock and assess the situation at that time. We were at war. ... You use anything at your disposal."

He added: "I sleep clearly every night."

Tibbets took quiet pride in the job he had done, said journalist Bob Greene, who wrote the Tibbets biography, "Duty: A Father, His Son, and the Man Who Won the War."

"He said, 'What they needed was someone who could do this and not flinch — and that was me,'" Greene said.

Paul Warfield Tibbets Jr. was born Feb. 23, 1915, in Quincy, Ill., and spent most of his boyhood in Miami.

He was a student at the University of Cincinnati's medical school when he decided to withdraw in 1937 to enlist in the Army Air Corps.

After the war, Tibbets said in 2005, he was dogged by rumors claiming he was in prison or had committed suicide.

"They said I was crazy, said I was a drunkard, in and out of institutions," he said. "At the time, I was running the National Crisis Center at the Pentagon."

Tibbets retired from the Air Force as a brigadier general in 1966. He later moved to Columbus, where he ran an air taxi service until he retired in 1985.

The National Aviation Hall of Fame in Dayton plans a photographic tribute to Tibbets, who was inducted in 1996.

"There are few in the history of mankind that have been called to figuratively carry as much weight on their shoulders as Paul Tibbets," director Ron Kaplan said in a statement. "Even fewer were able to do so with a sense of honor and duty to their countrymen as did Paul."

Tibbets' role in the bombing brought him fame — and infamy — throughout his life.

In 1976, he was criticized for re-enacting the bombing during an appearance at a Harlingen, Texas, air show. As he flew a B-29 Superfortress over the show, a bomb set off on the runway below created a mushroom cloud.

He said the display "was not intended to insult anybody," but the Japanese were outraged. The U.S. government later issued a formal apology.

Tibbets again defended the bombing in 1995, when an outcry erupted over a planned 50th anniversary exhibit of the Enola Gay at the Smithsonian Institution.

The museum had planned to mount an exhibit that would have examined the context of the bombing, including the discussion within the Truman administration of whether to use the bomb, the rejection of a demonstration bombing and the selection of the target.

Veterans groups objected, saying the proposed display paid too much attention to Japan's suffering and too little to Japan's brutality during and before World War II, and that it underestimated the number of Americans who would have perished in an invasion.

They said the bombing of Japan was an unmitigated blessing for the United States and the exhibit should say so.

Tibbets denounced it as "a damn big insult."

The museum changed its plan and agreed to display the fuselage of the Enola Gay without commentary, context or analysis.

He told the Dispatch in 2005 that he wanted his ashes scattered over the English Channel, where he loved to fly during the war.

Newhouse confirmed that Tibbets wanted to be cremated, but he said relatives had not yet determined how he would be laid to rest.

Tibbets is survived by his wife, Andrea, and three sons — Paul, Gene and James — as well as a number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. A grandson named after Tibbets followed his grandfather into the military as a B-2 bomber pilot currently stationed in Belgium.

this really disgusts me. not only does the article not mention that the death tolls of the Hiroshima bombing would actually be nearer to 200,000, but the pilot himself saying he slept fine every night and feels no regrets.. :cry: :noway: ... this is one of the worst tragedies the united states has ever created.

T&T
11-01-2007, 04:54 PM
when the fat starts shedding off my husband said "look at you :eek: "

oh, good riddance on the Paul Tibbets death.

DeviousJ
11-01-2007, 04:54 PM
I was going to say 'what a dick', but that airshow stunt... I think that would have to be seen to be believed

Elvis The Fat Years
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER'S RACIST RANT -- CAUGHT ON TAPE

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/dog_bounty_hunter_racial_slur_tape/celebrity/64325

BlissedandGone2
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
i guess i shoulda put this in the politics thread.. either way, this is one of very few people in this world that i am actually glad is dead.

???
11-01-2007, 06:38 PM
hmph, i have mixed feelings about this. it was a travesty that anyone ever had to resort to bombing japan, or bombing anywhere. it was an unthinkable atrocity. but in light of the fact that there probably would have been more bloodshed if the US had simply invaded japan...i don't think i can absolutely say that it was an unnecessary measure to take. although you know, might have been a better idea to bomb germany, being the greater concentration of evil during the war....but anyway, paul tibbets said he wasn't proud of killing people and i don't believe he was...but feeling indifferently about it would be just as bad. i've read about this man, and he never struck me as a particularly intelligent or consciencious man either, otherwise he would've known better than to revel in the "glory" or what he considered his patriotic duty. a more intelligent man could have expressed his regrets more clearly and succinctly, and perhaps taken "the long walk" and hidden away for the rest of his life as penance, or something. a man like that might have deserved more sympathy. paul tibbetts was your archetypal all-american hard-nosed grunt, and only as honourable and respectable as any of his ilk. his death isn't worth much consideration. evil lives on.

Crunchy Black
11-01-2007, 06:41 PM
guy is an american hero. suck my dick, faggots and euroPEONs

Crunchy Black
11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
is blissed and gone the shithead that made that thread thanking veterans for dying and cursing them for killing the enemy? go watch some more mtv you fucking shitstain

mistle
rggffderfefr

Crunchy Black
when you start deleting your old threads, start with that one

monkeyfritters
11-01-2007, 07:31 PM
hmph, i have mixed feelings about this. it was a travesty that anyone ever had to resort to bombing japan, or bombing anywhere. it was an unthinkable atrocity. but in light of the fact that there probably would have been more bloodshed if the US had simply invaded japan...i don't think i can absolutely say that it was an unnecessary measure to take. although you know, might have been a better idea to bomb germany, being the greater concentration of evil during the war....but anyway, paul tibbets said he wasn't proud of killing people and i don't believe he was...but feeling indifferently about it would be just as bad. i've read about this man, and he never struck me as a particularly intelligent or consciencious man either, otherwise he would've known better than to revel in the "glory" or what he considered his patriotic duty. a more intelligent man could have expressed his regrets more clearly and succinctly, and perhaps taken "the long walk" and hidden away for the rest of his life as penance, or something. a man like that might have deserved more sympathy. paul tibbetts was your archetypal all-american hard-nosed grunt, and only as honourable and respectable as any of his ilk. his death isn't worth much consideration. evil lives on.

izzle you need a history lesson.

monkeyfritters
11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
i guess i shoulda put this in the politics thread.. either way, this is one of very few people in this world that i am actually glad is dead.
cuz he single handedly started the war, built the bomb, gave himself the order to drop the bomb, and put himself in the unenviable position of being the personification of the act of a nation. i agree. so glad he's dead.

Debaser
11-01-2007, 07:38 PM
but in light of the fact that there probably would have been more bloodshed if the US had simply invaded japan....

It's very debatable whether an invasion was actually necessary. Some say that Japan was well on its way to surrender anyways.

Nimrod's Son
11-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Duane "Dog" Chapman unleashes a filthy bigoted attack

BlissedandGone2
11-01-2007, 07:48 PM
is blissed and gone the shithead that made that thread thanking veterans for dying and cursing them for killing the enemy? go watch some more mtv you fucking shitstain

what? no. i didnt do that.

BlissedandGone2
11-01-2007, 07:49 PM
It's very debatable whether an invasion was actually necessary. Some say that Japan was well on its way to surrender anyways.

japan was definitely on the way out of the war. the targets they picked were not based on military importance but on shock factor. the us government wanted the biggest possible devastating effects in terms of lives lost and destruction for shock factor, this isnt propaganda bullshit, this is fact.

BlissedandGone2
11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
cuz he single handedly started the war, built the bomb, gave himself the order to drop the bomb, and put himself in the unenviable position of being the personification of the act of a nation. i agree. so glad he's dead.

no because of his feelings about his actions now. because he doesn't mind what we did. it wasn't as if our entire military, government, and great leaders/thinkers thought this was a good idea. not everyone thought we should do this.

BlissedandGone2
11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
there is no doubt to me that if say the germans or the japanese had dropped two nuclear bombs on two american cities causing 300,000 american deaths, we would try and hang the men responsible after the war was over as war criminals

BlissedandGone2
11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
guy is an american hero. suck my dick, faggots and euroPEONs

here is an intelligent representative of this great country of ours. :rolleyes:

???
11-01-2007, 09:02 PM
i'll admit i don't noes much about history, just my uninformed two cents up there

Nimrod's Son
11-01-2007, 09:21 PM
japan was definitely on the way out of the war. the targets they picked were not based on military importance but on shock factor. the us government wanted the biggest possible devastating effects in terms of lives lost and destruction for shock factor, this isnt propaganda bullshit, this is fact.
Then why didn't they pick Tokyo, and instead went with Hiroshima which was the 7th largest city?

You have no understanding of history.

???
11-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Then why didn't they pick Tokyo, and instead went with Hiroshima which was the 7th largest city?

as i remember it hiroshima and nagasaki were important for developing munitions and stuff.

monkeyfritters
11-01-2007, 09:45 PM
no because of his feelings about his actions now. because he doesn't mind what we did. it wasn't as if our entire military, government, and great leaders/thinkers thought this was a good idea. not everyone thought we should do this.
listen. through him was committed one of the most horrifying acts in human history. if he didn't think it was justified he could not live with himself. you cannot hold him accountable for anything he says on this issue. it wasnt his idea and it certainly wasnt his choice yet he was forever tied to the event. if you cant pity him then youre fucked up mang.

sickbadthing
11-01-2007, 09:58 PM
mods move this to the political forum plz.

monkeyfritters
11-01-2007, 10:01 PM
mods please move sickbadthing to the political forum.

MusicMan4
11-02-2007, 01:56 AM
old

Warzaw
11-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Before:
http://www.hiroshima-spirit.jp/en/museum/e12-8-1.jpg

After:
http://www.hiroshima-spirit.jp/en/museum/e12-8-2.jpg

++Reasons for Selecting Hiroshima++

By the end of the war, most of Japan's major cities had been destroyed by U.S. air attacks. Hiroshima was still intact. The reasons Hiroshima was chosen as the target for the A-bombing are assumed to be the following.

The size and the shape of the city was suited to the destructive power of the A-bombs. Because Hiroshima had not been bombed, ascertaining the effects of the A-bomb would be relatively easy.

Hiroshima had a high concentration of troops, military facilities and military factories that had not yet been subject to significant damage.

BlissedandGone2
11-02-2007, 04:23 AM
not to mention high population of innocent bystanders

Warzaw
11-02-2007, 04:31 AM
not to mention high population of innocent bystanders

That's pretty much a given for any city.

Trotskilicious
11-02-2007, 04:36 AM

you don't either but you made a fair point

Trotskilicious
11-02-2007, 04:38 AM
by the way what's the point of the full article when all the news you need to know is in the thread title?

BlissedandGone2
11-02-2007, 04:43 AM
That's pretty much a given for any city.

yes but that is normally a deterrent, not a reason to target a city.

Trotskilicious
11-02-2007, 04:46 AM
are you bush bashing

Kahlo
11-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Izzle, you can't 'compare' evils, you should look at what Japan did in China before the US even got involved in the war, pretty comparable to many nazi attitudes.

BlissedandGone2
11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
are you bush bashing

No. but i dont support bush. that isnt what this is about though.

Izzle, you can't 'compare' evils, you should look at what Japan did in China before the US even got involved in the war, pretty comparable to many nazi attitudes.

japan and china's issues with eachother are a whole other story. really despicable events were caused by both countries. im not saying it was wrong for the united states to fight japan in these circumstances, im just saying the nuclear bombs we dropped were devastating and unnecessary and its articles and people like this man who give people the idea that these kinds of actions in war are decent.

and speaking of nazi attitudes, how about the japanese containment camps we made during the war. a lot of people dont even know these existed, even my highschool world history textbook slid right over the whole thing. we contained japanese people in camps because they were japanese. this *******d american citizens in camps strictly based on their race, whether or not they were born in america, whether or not they were involved in the war, only because they were japanese.

Rockin' Cherub
11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
i'm going to dance on his non-existant grave

aurel
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
I wish Olivier was here to comment but Blissed and Gone is doing a pretty good job too.

BlissedandGone2
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I wish Olivier was here to comment but Blissed and Gone is doing a pretty good job too.

thanks
i didnt really mean to get this worked up about it. im having an awful week. just for some refrence: my grandfather was contained for being japanese american during the war and later died of stomach cancer like many other japanese who were held. we never saw any compensation from the government like they promised and the issue has long been forgotten. i consider the nuclear attacks against japan and the japanese containment camps to be two of the most vile, embarrassing moments in american history. our country is better than this.

Debaser
11-02-2007, 02:49 PM
*vile

BlissedandGone2
11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
*vile

oops

Crunchy Black
11-02-2007, 05:10 PM
you can grossly rewrite history all you want but the fact is the US is the wealthy nation it is today because there was a time when people realized you had to break a few eggs to make an omelet. dropping the A-bomb on japan was some horrible real politik that only a great man like truman could have been capable of. this citizens of the world garbage was something leftist propaganda agents came up with later to undermine american nationalism. they dont go for it in places where men are men and women are women, russia for instance

protip: being relocated to a prison camp during the war does not cause stomach cancer. he would have died of stomach cancer regardless of where he was. if the internment camps were the vilest moment of american history, we're doing pretty good as a nation. the japanese in japan were a violently racist people. they more or less believed they were the children of the sun god and that world domination was their destiny. america was faced with a nation of kamikazes and sunday-sneak-attackers. it might have ultimately been an unnecessary measure but it wasnt a barbaric one and it wasnt a foolish one. theres a reason it took forever for a generation short-sighted adn wimpy enough to have a problem with it to be born

monkeyfritters
11-02-2007, 05:33 PM
whoa that's tha bomb right there, crunchy black.

BlissedandGone2
11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
protip: being relocated to a prison camp during the war does not cause stomach cancer. he would have died of stomach cancer regardless of where he was. if the internment camps were the vilest moment of american history, we're doing pretty good as a nation.

:erm: youre fucking insane.

Nimrod's Son
11-02-2007, 07:27 PM
:erm: youre fucking insane.
is your theory then that being relocated to a prison camp during the war does cause stomach cancer

BlissedandGone2
11-02-2007, 07:48 PM
is your theory then that being relocated to a prison camp during the war does cause stomach cancer

i didnt invent the theory. many who came out of the interment camps got stomach cancer later in llife and it was thought to have been caused by the food in the camps which was said to be around worth 50 cents a day per capita.

the point of this however is that innocent people were locked in camps based on their race. the point is that the majority of the population of the camps were american citizens. that completely denies a racial group of their civil rights. properties were taken from those contained and the majority of them could not recover what they lost. the risk of japanese americans attacking the united states as terrorists was created through racial bias, not through evidence. there was no risk. People dont realize those who were contained included japanese orphans, infants, women and children.
hardly anyone was paid any reparations at the time, and although they tried to pay full reparations in the 90s, many still never saw a dime.
property that was said to have been "stored" by the government was all destroyed.

and what about social and psychological damage this does to a culture?