View Full Version : Pumpkins Song Statistics

EyesOfAJackal
09-28-2007, 06:25 PM
The Pearl Jam website has this really cool song index with statistics about how many times each of their songs have been played, when they were first and last played, what album they are from, where they were played, etc.

In my experience, Pumpkins fans are more devoted than PJ fans... and I've seen some stats up on here, and I know SPFC has a decent list of their songs.

Have any of y'all seen anything as comprehensive as the PJ list?

RopeyLopey
09-28-2007, 06:26 PM
music isn't baseball

BlissedandGone2
09-28-2007, 06:43 PM
music isn't baseball

if only...

JRiordan
09-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Grateful Dead: http://www.deadbase.com/

Phish: http://www.ihoz.com/PhishStats.html

There is no contest with those two. But of course analyzing their setlists is infinitely more interesting than other bands, since they completely changed night to night.

As far as bands that are actually still playing...

Wilco: http://www.wilcobase.com/

CrabbMan
09-28-2007, 06:45 PM
the spfc has more than just a decent list of songs. their tour by song (http://www.spfc.org/tours/song.html) page does pretty much what that PJ site does, except it doesn't do the counting, just shows you when and where. it's really quite a comprehensive site, and i feel lucky to be a fan of a band with so many more devoted fans.

???
09-28-2007, 07:01 PM
pj fans focus on song statistics because there's fuck all else to talk about. pj = boring generic rock men.

reprise85
09-28-2007, 07:27 PM
i used to hate pj with a passion back when I was a teenager and had passion

BlissedandGone2
09-28-2007, 07:56 PM
pearl jam are good people.

i_adore_adore
09-28-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't understand why so many SP fans are so brutally opposed to pearl jam.

I only have Ten, and I've heard a few other albums from friends but didn't like them much, but still.... Ten is one great album.

"Black" alone should make you haterz ashamed.

WeilandFan
09-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Pearl Jam were good until Vitaology, since then they've sucked though, minus a few songs here and there. Their self-titled album is a piece of shit, first CD I've ever returned.

EyesOfAJackal
09-28-2007, 08:41 PM
i used to hate pj with a passion back when I was a teenager and had passion

This is a really sad post

I don't understand why so many SP fans are so brutally opposed to pearl jam.

I only have Ten, and I've heard a few other albums from friends but didn't like them much, but still.... Ten is one great album.

"Black" alone should make you haterz ashamed.

I agree. Black, Yellow Ledbetter, I Got Shit, Alive, Corduroy, State of Love and Trust... all solid songs.

reprise85
09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I have never actually given PJ a fair chance and admit that, they just don't appeal to me. I was trying to be critical of my teenage self if that wasn't clear.

silent_brian13
09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
This is a really sad post

I agree. Black, Yellow Ledbetter, I Got Shit, Alive, Corduroy, State of Love and Trust... all solid songs.

lets not forget oceans, off he goes and even in my tree.

not to slam billy, but vedder knows what his fans want, and is a very fan friendly band. from touring albums, to great dvds, to really awesome shows.

no reason to hate.

i_adore_adore
09-28-2007, 09:01 PM
There's that one song... what the hecks it called.

she dreams in color something something
can't find a better man

is it called Better Man? Anyway, that's a good song. And I freaking love "Daughter" and "Elderly Woman," and also adore that one song... ughhh... ummm... oh! "Given to Fly." That is such a beautiful song.

Anywayz. Yeah, good band. The solo at the end of "Alive" is one of my favorites of all time. Not anything particularly astounding about it technically, but it just fits sooooo well. It's flawless!

EyesOfAJackal
09-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, when that solo lifts off, it's like Vedder's said all he can say with words and it's time for Mike's guitar to do the talking... so good.

reprise85
09-28-2007, 09:14 PM
You know hundreds of SP songs and apparently a few dozen or less PJ songs. So do I. Don't you think if you like them so much you should explore more?

i_adore_adore
09-28-2007, 09:19 PM
r u talkin 2 me?

EyesOfAJackal
09-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah I didn't know who that was directed at... I do have a bunch of Pearl Jam albums, and I love their stuff, but not as many of their songs as the Pumpkins.

JRiordan
09-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Pearl Jam - RED MOSQUITO!!!

That song is so f'n good it's unbelievable. Just the way that it goes from heavy to light and back... oh man

News flash: You don't have to put yourself in a musical jail cell. Open up people!

JRiordan
09-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Their self-titled album is a piece of shit, first CD I've ever returned.

Man, I think it's their best since "Yield"

davin
09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
except it doesn't do the counting.

should be pretty easy to add an algorithm to caluclate a total for the bottom or top of pages like these (http://www.spfc.org/tours/song.html?song_id=378).

i will take this as an "action item" and get back to you. ;)

davin
09-28-2007, 10:36 PM

:hurl: i think both of those are horrible. my fav album is versus.

reprise85
09-28-2007, 11:05 PM
r u talkin 2 me?

sorry, yes I was.
basically I'm just wondering if you are planning on listening to PJ or not since you seem to like what you've heard so far

reprise85
09-28-2007, 11:05 PM
also, thanks for working on this davin :)

exactlythesame
09-28-2007, 11:10 PM
:hurl: i think both of those are horrible. my fav album is versus.

qft

yoshinobu's revenge
09-29-2007, 01:26 AM
I used to find PJ boring and overrated. I did always enjoy No Code tho, and now I find Ten listenable as well in my old age.

spfc have a lot of good data but could do a lot more with it. And they don't update quite as enough.

M.Night
09-29-2007, 02:17 AM
pearl jam are an oldies act

MisterSquishyHalo
09-29-2007, 02:36 AM
The Pearl Jam website has this really cool song index with statistics about how many times each of their songs have been played, when they were first and last played, what album they are from, where they were played, etc.

In my experience, Pumpkins fans are more devoted than PJ fans... and I've seen some stats up on here, and I know SPFC has a decent list of their songs.

Nothing as close or as good to PJ's list and some of the others mentioned, but me and virex did a little thing for the residencies.

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=146219

JRiordan
09-29-2007, 04:02 AM
I must reiterate: If any of you casual PJ fans haven't experienced the song "Red Mosquito" from the No Code album... CRANK IT LOUD!

???
09-29-2007, 04:14 AM
they might have a few good songs, but they're still boring, generic and repetitive. i mean, are they anything more than just a bunch of grizzly rock musicians? i prefer bands like sp because they have a bit of personality.

tcm
09-29-2007, 04:25 AM
News flash: You don't have to put yourself in a musical jail cell. Open up people!
high five man.

???
09-29-2007, 04:31 AM

this sounds like it could be a pearl jam song all by itself

tcm
09-29-2007, 04:34 AM
escape hatch : gibberish,

pete
09-29-2007, 08:27 AM
SP fans are undoubtedly more devoted these days. Maybe not in the 90's when they had a larger fanbase, but those who like them these days tend to go all out.

talk show host
09-29-2007, 08:32 AM
There's that one song... what the hecks it called.

she dreams in color something something
can't find a better man

is it called Better Man? Anyway, that's a good song. And I freaking love "Daughter" and "Elderly Woman," and also adore that one song... ughhh... ummm... oh! "Given to Fly." That is such a beautiful song.

Anywayz. Yeah, good band. The solo at the end of "Alive" is one of my favorites of all time. Not anything particularly astounding about it technically, but it just fits sooooo well. It's flawless!

why are you typing like you're actually talking to us in person or something?

IWishIWasBlank
09-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Pearl Jam were good until Vitaology, since then they've sucked though, minus a few songs here and there. Their self-titled album is a piece of shit, first CD I've ever returned.

Vitalogy is the best album they have.

Awesome lyrics, fantastic music to back it. Best album hands down. No contest whatsoever.

Pearl Jam was too force-fed to us anyways.. I've heard Black and Jeremy ten gazillion times (literally, I fucking swear it,) and just like Disarm, Today, Zero, 1979 et all, it gets old.

They were best before they went 'commercial.' I think it's fantastic that they came back with Vitalogy after the big hits, and made an album they probably felt was great, and only had one commercially successful hit from it... Better Man.. which most people probably don't understand the meaning of anyway (not that that ever stopped anyone from liking a song.)

I think I'm rambling.

What I'm saying is that Vitalogy kicks ass.

Edit: Wait wait.. just thought of how to tie this in.

Vitalogy is to Pearl Jam what Adore is to Smashing Pumpkins.

Nice integration there for 8:00am on a Saturday morning.

mayday
09-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I like Pearl Jam

tcm
09-29-2007, 02:50 PM
They were best before they went 'commercial.'
what?

Better Man.. which most people probably don't understand the meaning of anyway
oh, come now.

Vitalogy is to Pearl Jam what Adore is to Smashing Pumpkins.
no...

Disarmu
09-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Pearl jam are my 2nd fav band behind pumpkins. Just recently put together all of my fav Pearl Jam tracks. Wanted to stick them all on a 80 min cd. Ended up using 2 cds. So many excellent songs. Vedders voice is amazing. Black, Nothingman, Betterman, Rearviewmirror, Elderly woman...., I could go on. Special mention for their song Man Of The Hour. It was on the soundtrack for the film Big Fish. Love it..

selection7
09-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Pearl jam are my 2nd fav band behind pumpkins. Just recently put together all of my fav Pearl Jam tracks. Wanted to stick them all on a 80 min cd. Ended up using 2 cds. So many excellent songs. Vedders voice is amazing. Black, Nothingman, Betterman, Rearviewmirror, Elderly woman...., I could go on. Special mention for their song Man Of The Hour. It was on the soundtrack for the film Big Fish. Love it..
http://www.blamonet.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99693&page=2&highlight=pearl
See my post in that thread, from half a year ago.

So what songs did you put on your 2 discs? I'm curious to see how different or similar our choices were. I'll post my tracklist here in a bit.

i_adore_adore
09-29-2007, 11:04 PM
sorry, yes I was.
basically I'm just wondering if you are planning on listening to PJ or not since you seem to like what you've heard so far

Yeah, once I uh... get some money to buy CDs with. I'm not a big downloader for the most part (I'm not trying to get all preachy on people who download... whatever, do what you want). So yeah... I've got quite a list of bands to check out that I've heard little to nothing of, so Pearl Jam isn't at the top. Besides, I got a few CDs from my library and they were just alright... A few great songs here and there, but nothing to spend $13 on.

why are you typing like you're actually talking to us in person or something?

shut up.

Disarmu
09-30-2007, 02:24 PM
http://www.blamonet.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99693&page=2&highlight=pearl
See my post in that thread, from half a year ago.

So what songs did you put on your 2 discs? I'm curious to see how different or similar our choices were. I'll post my tracklist here in a bit.

Cd1..Thumbing My Way, Black, Release, Man of the Hour, Even Flow, Immortality, Corduroy, Once, Prescent Tense, Betterman, Garden, Yellow Ledbetter, Indifference, Off He Goes, Oceans, Smile.

Cd2..Light years, Nothing as it Seems, Thin air, Daughter, In Hiding, Elderly Woman Behind...., Rearviewmirror, I Am Mine, Leash, Nothingman, Given to Fly, Dissident, Inside Job, Parting Ways.

What you reckon? Kinda went for a lot of the easier listening stuff...

slunken
09-30-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm appalled by the fact that i open up page 2 and it's a pearl jam discussion

selection7
09-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Cd1..Thumbing My Way, Black, Release, Man of the Hour, Even Flow, Immortality, Corduroy, Once, Prescent Tense, Betterman, Garden, Yellow Ledbetter, Indifference, Off He Goes, Oceans, Smile.

Cd2..Light years, Nothing as it Seems, Thin air, Daughter, In Hiding, Elderly Woman Behind...., Rearviewmirror, I Am Mine, Leash, Nothingman, Given to Fly, Dissident, Inside Job, Parting Ways.

It's almost a perfectly opposite take on Pearl Jam compared to me. My impression of Pearl Jam is that they're quite prolific with the midtempo rock and even do some great heavy stuff, but my tracklist ended up so unbalanced because I just couldn't find any slow songs that were up to the quality of the fast ones.

Disc1
Satan's bed, Save you, Cropduster, Grievance, Even Flow., Oceans., Down,, Whipping, In my tree, Elderly woman behind the counter in a small town, Rearviewmirror, Jeremy, Daughter, Hail, hail, Sleight of hand, Wishlist, Last exit, Leash, Black, Breath

Disc2
MFC, Brain of J, Alive, Do the evolution, Light years, Dissident, Corduroy, Go, Indifference, You are, Arc, I am mine, Not for you, Leavin here, Rival, Mankind, W.M.A., Green disease, Around the bend

I count 5 songs in my tracklist that could be considered as sort of like a ballad. Indifference is one of my favorite PJ songs. I really like Release but I think I decided the live versions come off so well that I didn't really need a studio version. I recognize there's good elements to Nothingman, betterman, and YLedbetter, but those just aren't songs I'd want to listen to multilple times...maybe it's just me. I'll have to look more closely at some of those other slower songs though...my disc1 definitely needs more than 2 slow songs.

BTW, what I did was I bought their greatest hits 2cd release and then just replaced the original discs with my new 2cd compilation.

useded
09-30-2007, 06:53 PM
radiohead have the best one, a whole website dedicated to it. it called something hours or something. yeah im not useful.

NothingSafe
10-01-2007, 06:00 AM
I like PJ fairly well; I own all their albums except for "Binaural"... I bought them all for like 5$ a piece, so that definitely sweetened the deal.

Vitalogy & Yield are probably my favorites; the new one is a kick ass record as well!

But when I saw them in concert I was pretty dissapointed; they should've bullshitted less about 'Bush this and Bush that' and played some more tunes.

Rider
10-01-2007, 06:07 AM

I agree Self Titled is like their 3rd best album. They hit a lump with thier 4th album and worked their way back up, some thing you can not say about Bolly.

gwt
10-01-2007, 07:40 AM
i like their first 3 albums but after that its pretty dull.
though there is Do the evolution.

milandejong
10-01-2007, 08:16 AM
look here: beware that this database hasn't been updated yet for the 2007 concerts!

http://splra.org/database/search.php?t=song

EyesOfAJackal
10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Dude thats awesome, thanks!

avsfan7733
10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
glorified G is a classic.

thats all I have to say about PJ. Oh and that whole thing at lollapalooza and the net neutrality.. Completely stupid.

sh sh shayne
10-01-2007, 09:22 PM

not bad. I'd put down and soon forget on their though.

sh sh shayne
10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree Self Titled is like their 3rd best album. They hit a lump with thier 4th album and worked their way back up, some thing you can not say about Bolly.

Im the only person int he world that's fav pj cd is riot act. I thinkt he list goes
VS
riot act
Ten
Vitalogy
Yield
Binarual
Self titled

*haven't heard no code*

srt4b
10-02-2007, 12:53 AM
i like their first 3 albums but after that its pretty dull.
though there is Do the evolution.

pumpkins or pearl jam? LOL

selection7
10-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Im the only person int he world that's fav pj cd is riot act. I thinkt he list ...
Did you notice that my compilation tracklist has six songs from Riot Act. I'm not sure I'd call it my favorite, but I'm a bit mystified that so many PJ fans slight it. BTW, I obviously did not have their newest album back when I made that collection about a year ago.