View Full Version : Boring Question

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:00 PM
I warned you, but you looked anyway. I'm a teacher at a public high school and was thinking about hanging a Pumpkins poster in my room...any idea if that will get me reprimanded by the people in charge? You have to be really careful these days of lawsuits o' plenty.

smashapumpkin
09-18-2007, 10:02 PM
doubt it but i guess it depends on what is depicted in the poster

smashapumpkin
09-18-2007, 10:02 PM
also is it high school or lower?

Gossamer
09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
if it's a high school definitely do it.

my teacher used to have grateful dead and cream posters all over the place

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:05 PM
high school, and the one i would hang doesn't show anything inappropriate whatsoever. My students are either going to make fun of the smashing pumpkins or not know who they are, and their favorite bands are Nickel Back, Under Oath, and 50 cent.

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
if it's a high school definitely do it.

my teacher used to have grateful dead and cream posters all over the place

yeah i seemed to recall seeing some grateful dead and LZ posters, so if that flies, mine should...

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:10 PM
in the class room? are you a music or art teacher? if you are not one of these I wouldn't do it. you should really only hang things that support your field. i remember though that my science teacher in 1998 hung something on the wall with TSP in it. It was a joke about disecting a frog and the joke was that the kids would only cut the frog open for smashing pumpkins tickets that were inside. wierd huh? it was a joke that was in the style of Peanuts... like a comic. I may have that in storage in my pumpkins album

smashapumpkin
09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
i would do it

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:14 PM
in the class room? are you a music or art teacher? if you are not one of these I wouldn't do it. you should really only hang things that support your field. i remember though that my science teacher in 1998 probably hung something on the wall with TSP in it. It was a joke about disecting a frog and the joke was that the kids would only cut the frog open for smashing pumpkins tickets that were inside. wierd huh? it was a joke that was in the style of Peanuts... like a comic. I may have that in storage in my pumpkins album

Well, they're my freaking favorite band of all times, and music is one of my biggest hobbies, it's sort of like coaches who hang posters of their favorite NFL teams, or pictures of golf courses they like to play on, or old ladies who hang pictures of pets...I like the SP more than football, golf, or pets...so shouldn't I be allowed 1 poster of them?

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
what do you teach?

bja1288
09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
my grade school teacher had deaddy bears on the walls, but shes also the one that shot students with nerf guns

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
what do you teach?

history

<sp3
09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
do it. If they fire you, it will totally be worth it.

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:20 PM
history. hmm. what poster did you have in mind?

smashapumpkin
09-18-2007, 10:21 PM
i think if it doesnt call too much attention to itself it should not be a problem

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:23 PM
history. hmm. what poster did you have in mind?

The one where Billy Corgan is signing the Declaration of Independence, why do you ask?

No, it's just a shot of the four original members sitting down smiling like goons.

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:23 PM
i really dont think it's a good idea. if you were a music teacher or an art teacher i think you could pull it off. history though i dont think your department would see it as something that would work into your lessons (i forget the word for the whole schedule of what you teach is)

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:25 PM
why do i ask? well you want to put a poster in a public classroom and so it is a statement going out to these kids minds and in a history class well the thought is, is it appropriate and what does it represent. you have to get it approved by your department head. if you think he/she wouldn't approve it than it probably shouldnt go up. and i love the pumpkins so it's not about that. it's about what's right

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:25 PM
i really dont think it's a good idea. if you were a music teacher or an art teacher i think you could pull it off. history though i dont think your department would see it as something that would work into your lessons (i forget the word for the whole schedule of what you teach is)

well, although I disagree, the point of my asking was really to see what opinions would be generated, and I can see your point of view being put forth by the principal or some crazy parents...so maybe I shouldn't. Oh well. I'll just keep on smirking sarcastically when my kids talk about how "badass" Linkin Park is.

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
do you have a locker or a rec room. that would be a better place for it or a community board or something

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:28 PM
why do i ask? well you want to put a poster in a public classroom and so it is a statement going out to these kids minds and in a history class well the thought is, is it appropriate and what does it represent. you have to get it approved by your department head. if you think he/she wouldn't approve it than it probably shouldnt go up. and i love the pumpkins so it's not about that. it's about what's right

I was joking around with you, anyway. I found it funny that you asked WHICH poster as if there's one that is pertinent to American History. Haha. Thanks for your input btw.

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:28 PM
yeah maybe you could have a cork board in the class room of people who are making political statements. not just the pumpkins... like all kinds of people. Z. certaintly has a major theme in this department. you could do muscians with statments about the current situation with problems in the u.s or world. pictures of who they are and what they are saying... then you can get your picture up

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:29 PM
you just have to work it into your lesson somehow, but if it's a big poster you shoould get it approved as you know im sure

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:31 PM
you just have to work it into your lesson somehow

"Alright young people, today we're going to talk about what REALLY brought about the industrial revolution...it's The Smashing Pumpkins"

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
"Alright young people, today we're going to talk about what REALLY brought about the industrial revolution...it's The Smashing Pumpkins"

yeah and play U.S ... "revolution... revolution....revolution...what will they do...revolution..."

:rofl: :)

7shadesofblack
09-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Follow Up Question. If the Pumpkins would agree to it, do you think it would be alright for them to come to our school and play a short concert in the auditorium, playing the songs XYU, Fuck You, Silverfuck, and Ava Adore?

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
very funny.

nope

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:41 PM
thats cool that you teach histroy though you could asign a project for them to pick a band or muscian that has made music with political themes and how they believe that through their music those artist have influenced their communities. that would be interesting. you could pick the smashing pumpkins and so when people present, you would go first.. or you could do the project first and use the pumpkins as your choice and show the kids what to do. thats how you could work them into a valid educational purpose. and for your visual...ta da! you can hang your poster up (and leave it up for the rest of the year- because well, it was part of a project!)

cork_soaker
09-18-2007, 10:47 PM
yeah and play U.S ... "revolution... revolution....revolution...what will they do...revolution..."

:rofl: :)

:rofl: :) :rofl: :) :rofl: :) :rofl: :) :rofl: :)

mayday
09-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Some would say the Pumpkins are history anyway.
:nooooo:

dasuitekilla
09-18-2007, 11:14 PM
hang teh poster!111one1

werideatdusk
09-18-2007, 11:29 PM
my grade school music teacher had a Pumpkins poster in her room in the mid-90s when they were cool.

Eulogy
09-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I did my 8th grade history fair project/paper on the Smashing Pumpkins.

it advanced to the state level. probably because not too many 8th graders seemed to be able to string sentences together.

flyfire
09-19-2007, 12:01 AM
In primary school our teacher would make us sing beatles and simon & garfunkle songs every day.
We had posters everywhere.
When I went to high school the wall were brown, with nothing on them, looked like crap and we only got to make noise in music class
Hang it up, but ask permission first

JSP552003
09-19-2007, 12:21 AM
i don't see how they could get all bent out of shape over a poster of a band. back when metallica - S&M came out my history teacher brought it to school, canceled class that day and just played the album the whole time haha it was the edited version though. if it was me then i'd do it. i mean most likely the worst thing they'd do is make you take it down right?

redbreegull
09-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Do it and don't worry about, I definitely had teachers that had shit for the favorite bands or sports teams in their rooms.