View Full Version : So What Exactly Is Wrong With Wearing Band Shirts?

Best Looking Boy
04-08-2002, 03:29 AM
I don't own hoards, but I have a few that I wear. I like a lot of the designs more than normal t-shirts usually.

Fish
04-08-2002, 04:06 AM
Nothing, just don't wear a shirt of the band that's playing to their gig. I wear band shirts most of the time because i'd prefer to advertise a band I like than a clothing company.

GhostChild
04-08-2002, 04:09 AM
Because wearing a bands shirt to a show is gay...cus it means you actually like them. Cus we all know we go to shows for bands we don't like.

-Jason
np: DMB - You Never Know 04.07.02

------------------
I bump into MD tapers at shows

Best Looking Boy
04-08-2002, 04:13 AM
I didn't say to a show.

Glitter Burned
04-08-2002, 04:23 AM
In a perfect world, nothing.

But in the real world things are more complicated.

Band t-shirts can be organized into these categories:

INDIE CRED. (ie: indie bands nobody's heard of or has barely heard of
but
not enough to know any tracks)

PUNK CRED. (ie: Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Saves the Day, Sex Pistols, the
Clash,
etc.)

ALTERNAFUCK CRED. (ie: Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Tori Amos, Radiohead,
KMFDM,
etc.)

LOSER CRED. (ie: Slipknot, ICP, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park, Coal
Chamber,
Bizkit, etc.)

Reality is such that wearing almost any band t-shirt of any kind fits you
into one of these groups, which in turn negates you as a true individual.
Wearing a band t-shirt is the same thing as wearing a "Hi! My Name Is..." name tag at convention. The type of shirt dictates the type of convention.
Think of the political parties. It's the same thing as signing away creativity and personal style to wear almost any kind of band t-shirt, and that's why they're bad. It really has nothing to do with the music,
usually.

Some artists exist in a kind of null sphere where wearing their shirts and merchandise actually does make you as cool as you wish you could be, but these people/bands are rare. Bjork is one of them. Anyone who wears a Bjork t-shirt probably won't get bothered by anybody and will be seen as
someone to be respected. Typically electronic acts like Bjork, Underworld
and Squarepusher give their fans this luxury of not having to be associated with any "scene" or subculture, but the wearer will still lose minor points when standing next to someone in a blank, solid-colored shirt.

A lack of originality and style is inherent in the choice to wear a band t-shirt instead of proper clothing. Wearing these t-shirts tells everyone that you are not only a boring and uncomplicated person, but that you can't put together an outfit in the morning. Depending on what city you live
in, this lack of fashion sense can be worse than pledging your allegiance to one
of the aforementioned sub-cultures.

Some people argue that wearing a band t-shirt is not a true reflection of
your soul and personality and that you're obviously much more of a person
than a stupid shirt. Well, if that were true you wouldn't be wearing the
individuality-nullifier in the first place, would you?

[This message has been edited by Glitter Burned (edited 04-08-2002).]

Best Looking Boy
04-08-2002, 04:29 AM
Well that's not necessarily true I've talked to people who have no idea who the band is but they just think the design is cool. It doesn't really say anything to you unless you know the band, otherwise it's just a shirt.

strange_one
04-08-2002, 05:31 AM
<font color=FF00FF> if it feels good, wear it

Johnny Swallow
04-08-2002, 09:34 AM
It's even worse when people in the band wear their own shirts on stage.

strange_one
04-08-2002, 09:37 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
It's even worse when people in the band wear their own shirts on stage. </font>

<font color=FF00FF> iron maiden do that, but they rock ass so it doesn't matter

THRILLHO
04-08-2002, 09:39 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Glitter Burned:
In a perfect world, nothing.

But in the real world things are more complicated.

Band t-shirts can be organized into these categories:

INDIE CRED. (ie: indie bands nobody's heard of or has barely heard of
but
not enough to know any tracks)

Clash,
etc.)

ALTERNAFUCK CRED. (ie: Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Tori Amos, Radiohead,
KMFDM,
etc.)

LOSER CRED. (ie: Slipknot, ICP, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park, Coal
Chamber,
Bizkit, etc.)

Reality is such that wearing almost any band t-shirt of any kind fits you
into one of these groups, which in turn negates you as a true individual.
Wearing a band t-shirt is the same thing as wearing a "Hi! My Name Is..." name tag at convention. The type of shirt dictates the type of convention.
Think of the political parties. It's the same thing as signing away creativity and personal style to wear almost any kind of band t-shirt, and that's why they're bad. It really has nothing to do with the music,
usually.

Some artists exist in a kind of null sphere where wearing their shirts and merchandise actually does make you as cool as you wish you could be, but these people/bands are rare. Bjork is one of them. Anyone who wears a Bjork t-shirt probably won't get bothered by anybody and will be seen as
someone to be respected. Typically electronic acts like Bjork, Underworld
and Squarepusher give their fans this luxury of not having to be associated with any "scene" or subculture, but the wearer will still lose minor points when standing next to someone in a blank, solid-colored shirt.

A lack of originality and style is inherent in the choice to wear a band t-shirt instead of proper clothing. Wearing these t-shirts tells everyone that you are not only a boring and uncomplicated person, but that you can't put together an outfit in the morning. Depending on what city you live
in, this lack of fashion sense can be worse than pledging your allegiance to one
of the aforementioned sub-cultures.

Some people argue that wearing a band t-shirt is not a true reflection of
your soul and personality and that you're obviously much more of a person
than a stupid shirt. Well, if that were true you wouldn't be wearing the
individuality-nullifier in the first place, would you?

[This message has been edited by Glitter Burned (edited 04-08-2002).]</font>

well typed! *applause*

Stupid Name
04-08-2002, 10:02 AM
jesus christ, they're just shirts. if you like the band, wear the shirt. fuck what everyone else thinks.

------------------
Beware of these angels with their wings glued on...

TiaraGurl
04-08-2002, 10:31 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Best Looking Boy:
Well that's not necessarily true I've talked to people who have no idea who the band is but they just think the design is cool. </font>

see to me this is even worse.

Mayfuck
04-08-2002, 10:41 AM
I don't wear band shirts 'cause i'm not 13 anymore http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/redface.gif

the_boy
04-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Man, you just CANT be 'that guy' at the concert! Cuz then all those people who go to concerts to see what other people are wearing are going to hate you and run home after the concert and tell everyone on the net how much of a geek you are. (Of course the 99% of the crowd that actually goes to see the band wont give a shit what t-shirt you're wearing, but MAN!!!)

Mirror_Untrue
04-08-2002, 11:28 AM
It used to really bother me when people wore the shirt of a band they've never heard of just for the sake of wearing it, but it's not really that big of a deal to me anymore. It's when you start talking to someone about music where how much they know about the bands comes up. The fact that they are wearing a shirt with whatever band on it is pretty unimportant.

sarmatianus
04-08-2002, 12:37 PM
That fact that you care that someone else cares that you wear...

Fuck it, this is high school all over again.

You are what you are. Don't apologize for who you are.

sarmatianus

Graveflower
04-08-2002, 12:50 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by GhostChild:
Because wearing a bands shirt to a show is gay...cus it means you actually like them. Cus we all know we go to shows for bands we don't like.

-Jason
np: DMB - You Never Know 04.07.02

</font>

Ok, think about it. If you're at a band's show, that means you like them. You don't need to advertise that fact, because everyone already knows you do.

GhostChild
04-08-2002, 12:54 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Graveflower:
Ok, think about it. If you're at a band's show, that means you like them. You don't need to advertise that fact, because everyone already knows you do.

</font>

Maybe there was a shirt compitition at the show and the best band shirt wins a cookie

bloop
04-08-2002, 02:26 PM
1)Maybe you puked on the original shirt you were wearing, so you bought a band shirt and wear it instead.

2) Maybe you don't have a lot of space to put things, so you wear the shirt. I find myself putting things on for this reason from time to time.

The Admiral
04-08-2002, 02:59 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Glitter Burned:
Clash,
etc.) </font>

Back up the truck, chico. Fugazi doesn't have merchandise. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

nevermind
04-08-2002, 03:16 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sarmatianus:
That fact that you care that someone else cares that you wear...

Fuck it, this is high school all over again.
</font>

exactly. nothing but a bunch of whiny imbecile dipshits here.

sawdust restaurants
04-08-2002, 04:04 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by nevermind:
exactly. nothing but a bunch of whiny imbecile dipshits here.</font>

Kids, when the troll is right about what you're posting, it's time to own up to your own stupidity.

rubbersoul
04-08-2002, 04:52 PM
I have always been curious as to how wearing a bands shirt became uncool. 'Cause none of us formed the opinion ourselves. It has to be a punk rock thing because every negative attitude in rock music came out of punk music. I don't give a shit anymore but a few years back I would make fun of people for doing it.

Graveflower
04-08-2002, 05:06 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by The Admiral:
Back up the truck, chico. Fugazi doesn't have merchandise. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif</font>

ahaha, plus he thought wearing a Saves the Day shirt would give you punk cred. It would more likely get you kicked in the head repeatedly.

frail_and_bedazzled
04-08-2002, 05:08 PM
i kinda think that band t-shirts are generally 'uncool'. stylistic choice, i guess...but

1) if you ascribe to a certain band/life politic/social scenaria/life 'style' etc...then you don't need to wear the fucking shirt. you ARE it.

2) band members don't wear band t-shirts. if they do, they're lame.

3)poor design, generally. there are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking..they suck. especially new shirts, which lack the snug, worn appeal of thrift shirts.

it's completely ironic when someone wears the t-shirt of a 'cool' band. by doing so, they actually isolate themselves from the inherit 'coolness' the band exudes or extols.

i should write a book on this. style is a highly intelligible, coded language...conscious or unconsciously.

Best Looking Boy
04-08-2002, 05:59 PM
I don't really care what you think, I just felt like starting a topic posing a question.

Best Looking Boy
04-08-2002, 06:01 PM
They are just clothes, most bands I like have shirts that are less than 10 bucks, I can buy that shirt and i'd like it more than a wal-mart t-shirt with no design on it.
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
1) if you ascribe to a certain band/life politic/social scenaria/life 'style' etc...then you don't need to wear the fucking shirt. you ARE it.
</font>
Well what am I supposed to wear? It's just a damn shirt like everyone else I own, all the shirts ascribe to some sort of style, so what's the point of droning over band shirts?

Best Looking Boy
04-08-2002, 06:03 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
3)poor design, generally. there are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking..they suck. especially new shirts, which lack the snug, worn appeal of thrift shirts.
</font>
You're still putting yourself in a group when you were used clothes. I know you think you're original but you're just another little hipster when I see you on the street. If I saw you at a party you'd blend in with about 20 other girls.

frail_and_bedazzled
04-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
</font>
You're still putting yourself in a group when you were used clothes. I know you think you're original but you're just another little hipster when I see you on the street. If I saw you at a party you'd blend in with about 20 other girls.
and you, my dear sir, would be very wrong. what you don't know about me pales in comparison to what you assume about me.
if you don't get it, you don't get it. my point has been made.

Best Looking Boy
04-08-2002, 06:31 PM
if you don't get it, you don't get it. my point has been made.</font>
Well... how is it you can make assumptions about people you don't know, but they could never sum you up?

frail_and_bedazzled
04-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
if you don't get it, you don't get it. my point has been made.</font>
Well... how is it you can make assumptions about people you don't know, but they could never sum you up?

i made a conclusion based on your very words. you admit to not understanding the point, so there you go. you, however, cannot place me within some limited scope of stylistic definition by my mere assertation that i like used clothes.

Lie
04-08-2002, 06:49 PM
I tend to meet cool people when I wear my SP shirts.

------------------
Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear.

sawdust restaurants
04-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Ironically, I met my ex-girlfriend when she came up to me after my band's gig; I was wearing a Pumpkins shirt, and that's what sparked her curiosity.

Graveflower
04-08-2002, 07:57 PM
I just don't like them. I don't have a problem with them on other people, they're just not for me. Bleh.

------------------
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf100/f170/f17046oouct.jpg

lise
04-08-2002, 08:09 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Graveflower:
ahaha, plus he thought wearing a Saves the Day shirt would give you punk cred. It would more likely get you kicked in the head repeatedly.</font>

i don't know ANY punk credders that like saves the day...

Mayfuck
04-08-2002, 08:09 PM

</font>

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/Forum2/HTML/034530.html

tear stained glass
04-09-2002, 12:13 AM
I wear band shirts because all of the other shirts I've seen around say stuff like "Beauty is only a light switch away" and "Tell your girlfriend I said thanks." I also have no sense of style whatsoever.

bonsor
04-09-2002, 01:05 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by tear stained glass:
I also have no sense of style whatsoever.</font>

But you're gay! It's a paradox!

failure
04-09-2002, 01:12 AM
like Lie said, i usually meet cool people whenever i wear my band shirts. granted, i only have two and a half (radiohead, stereolab and a jane's addiction button down with the sewed-on graphic cut out from a t-shirt), but if given the chance to strike up a conversation about said bands, i will.

starlasomasiva
04-09-2002, 07:29 PM
how about this situation; i went to the columbia zwan show and got a shirt there. then i went to the st louis show, and since i had no other long sleeved shirts packed, it was cold that day, and i had a new shirt to wear, i wore the zwan shirt to the show. what is wrong with that? i hope you people graduate from highschool eventually because it is ridiculous the way you analyze what people wear.
i wear band shirts a lot, because i go to a lot of shows. its what i like to do. jocks wear jock shirts with corny phrases on the back, but at least theyre not like "oh my god! hes wearing a baseball shirt to baseball practice! like, we already know he likes baseball because hes here! at least wear a football shirt! or if youre really elite, rugby....."

get over yourselves!

------------------
special thanks to everyone for their continued support and a fuck you to those who flame me.
-jill

Irrelevant
04-10-2002, 04:25 AM
2) band members don't wear band t-shirts. if they do, they're lame.
</font>

Jimmy Chamberlain was wearing an A Perfect Circle shirt at the show Monday. and we all know he's the epitome of lame.

frail_and_bedazzled
04-10-2002, 04:14 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Irrelevant:
Jimmy Chamberlain was wearing an A Perfect Circle shirt at the show Monday. and we all know he's the epitome of lame.</font>

heh. exactly.

and i will forever analyze what people wear. it's my passion in life.

happy peter pan
04-11-2002, 08:24 AM
heh. exactly.

and i will forever analyze what people wear. it's my passion in life.</font>

I'm from Finland and I just read from a newspaper about a new research here about style. Anyways at the end it said "America is out. Their values are seen as too shallow."
Thanks for proving this point for me!

professional wannabe
04-11-2002, 02:08 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by starlasomasiva:
how about this situation; i went to the columbia zwan show and got a shirt there. then i went to the st louis show, and since i had no other long sleeved shirts packed, it was cold that day, and i had a new shirt to wear, i wore the zwan shirt to the show. what is wrong with that? i hope you people graduate from highschool eventually because it is ridiculous the way you analyze what people wear.
i wear band shirts a lot, because i go to a lot of shows. its what i like to do. jocks wear jock shirts with corny phrases on the back, but at least theyre not like "oh my god! hes wearing a baseball shirt to baseball practice! like, we already know he likes baseball because hes here! at least wear a football shirt! or if youre really elite, rugby....."

get over yourselves!

</font>

i so second that. i don't understand why the majority is seeming to think wearing band shirts is such a bad thing to do. i wear my KH t-shirt quite often, and i like it. i mean, i like wearing that shirt, and plus it helps promote the band to newbies who've never heard of them before.

fuck high school people that judge others this way.

Graveflower
04-11-2002, 02:18 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Irrelevant:
Jimmy Chamberlain was wearing an A Perfect Circle shirt at the show Monday. and we all know he's the epitome of lame.</font>

Oh man, that's especially awful since Pez is in the band now.

Nate the Grate
04-11-2002, 03:08 PM
I wear a Red Sox hat and shirt (sometimes even my Trot Nixon jersey over that shirt) to games. what's the difference?

------------------
http://www.rbibaseball.com/images/player-bo.gif

mjnova
04-11-2002, 05:47 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Nate the Grate:
I wear a Red Sox hat and shirt (sometimes even my Trot Nixon jersey over that shirt) to games. what's the difference?

</font>

Sports is already a big sell out. Where as musicians just pretend like they don't sell out.

Your showing your team spirit, but no one goes to a concert wearing a shirt showing they're band spirit.

People wear their school colors at pep rallies and nobody says "Duh, you already go to this school".

frail_and_bedazzled
04-11-2002, 06:06 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by happy peter pan:
I'm from Finland and I just read from a newspaper about a new research here about style. Anyways at the end it said "America is out. Their values are seen as too shallow."
Thanks for proving this point for me!</font>
and we all know that finland has contributed so much to culture and society...

i don't care. i know no one at netphoria gives a shit about style. i do. i'm not going to change. it's an art like anything else. like......say......music. if you think it's not, then you have a very limited defintion of style....

why do so few people ever get it? sheesh.